Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Mr. Stirling (above) is called Stephen Michael, he is originally Canadian and now lives in New Mexico, and to the best of my knowledge was raised mildly Anglican.

I think you can blame Harry Turtledove rather than Joseph Smith for his fascination with brokedown North America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Mr. Stirling (above) is called Stephen Michael, he is originally Canadian and now lives in New Mexico, and to the best of my knowledge was raised mildly Anglican.

I think you can blame Harry Turtledove rather than Joseph Smith for his fascination with brokedown North America.

What can we blame for Sterling's repeatedly asserting that he'd happily push a button to kill all Muslims?

(On the old soc.history.what-if Usenet group.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was once accused of writing S. M. Stirling fanfiction (never read him, just wrote a similar apocalypse scenario), and now I feel even weirder about that.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

What can we blame for Sterling's repeatedly asserting that he'd happily push a button to kill all Muslims?

(On the old soc.history.what-if Usenet group.)

He’s a bigoted rear end in a top hat? :shrug:

I wasn’t defending him in any way, just pointing out that he’s not a US Mormon.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Isn't this the guy who wrote that alternative history series about an evil, superpowered South Africa conquering everyone? I haven't read them, but they sound ridiculous.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Shwoo posted:

Isn't this the guy who wrote that alternative history series about an evil, superpowered South Africa conquering everyone? I haven't read them, but they sound ridiculous.

Yeah it's basically "the Boers conquer the world through the power of Slavery." The Wikipedia article on the series reads like a description of somebody's Sonic the Hedgehog OC except it's a South African Ultra-Mega Nazi that's more powerful than all 3 reiches combined. Apparently the only reason the Union wins in the ACW is because they send hordes of Mexicans against the boer-supplied steam tanks the Confederacy has. :nallears:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

he's claimed the premise is 'what if the bad guys suddenly had protagonist luck'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That sounds like the plot of a lot of 'the Nazis win WW2' stories.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Shwoo posted:

Yeah.

Dude's actually able to write some pretty good and clever stories (I used to like his stuff up to and including the Island in the Sea of Time series), which just goes to show that bigoted assholeism isn't always incompatible with talent. Haven't read anything he's written in the last 15 years or so though.

The funniest part of the ISOT series was at the end where the bad guy fucks up by insulting and underestimating the guy who was the historical inspiration for Odysseus. Yeah, that didn't go so well.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

AlbieQuirky posted:

My bad, let me change my opinion to “conservative Christians shouldn’t write genre fiction” then.

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
:nws: https://imgur.com/gallery/YM18dAU :nws: I found this in a free bin at a local bookshop and the “commentary” continues to haunt me to this day. I can’t bring myself to read the actual novel, but from what I’ve read online I’m not missing much.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Labes for days posted:

My bad, let me change my opinion to “conservative Christians shouldn’t write genre fiction” then.

I’m 100% on board.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kierena posted:

:nws: https://imgur.com/gallery/YM18dAU :nws: I found this in a free bin at a local bookshop and the “commentary” continues to haunt me to this day. I can’t bring myself to read the actual novel, but from what I’ve read online I’m not missing much.

There is no way the book can hold a tenth of the horror that note brings.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Labes for days posted:

loving John C. Wright, who can write some great SF settings and his characters are all made of cardboard anyway but he's an insufferable smug Jesus-freak prick about it ever since his literal brain damage

loving Dan Simmons and everything he wrote that isn't Hyperion

okay I'm done now

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

loving John C. Wright, who can write some great SF settings and his characters are all made of cardboard anyway but he's an insufferable smug Jesus-freak prick about it ever since his literal brain damage

okay I'm done now

I posted this in the SFF thread but it bears repeating:

C.M. Kruger posted:

I've never considered ever reading anything by John C. Wright, because I saw his wikipedia photo long before I found out anything else about him. It's as much of a warning as a skull and crossbones on a container of poison:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Before that he was an insufferably smug libertarian prick. So I can't actually blame the jesus in this case.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Lone Badger posted:

Before that he was an insufferably smug libertarian prick. So I can't actually blame the jesus in this case.
Yeah, he did a total 180 on his beliefs but he didn't change how insufferably smug he was about them. Which is actually kind of funny in a Phineas Gage sort of way. Or maybe I should say Philip K. Dick to at least remotely tie it into writers.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Labes for days posted:

While this is probably true of modern authors, Mr. Tolkien and Mr. Lewis would like a word with you.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also he went on at some length about wanting to punch Terry Pratchett. gently caress that guy.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

okay I'm done now

the terror and drood were both pretty good, though I haven't read them in a while, so not willing to die on that hill either

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, he did a total 180 on his beliefs but he didn't change how insufferably smug he was about them. Which is actually kind of funny in a Phineas Gage sort of way. Or maybe I should say Philip K. Dick to at least remotely tie it into writers.

I remember reading the Golden Age trilogy and the slowly-dawning horror as I realised that the author considered this to be a utopian society.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I remember reading the Golden Age trilogy and the slowly-dawning horror as I realised that the author considered this to be a utopian society.

It was actually pretty interesting reading until the ghost of Ayn Rand emanated from the author's rear end.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Kierena posted:

I, uh, what

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's weird to read the later Simmons' books and it's all like: interesting, hmmm, I see, cool, uh-huh, MASSIVE RIGHTWING CLICHE OUT OF NOWHERE, uh-huh, nice action ...

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

For those who need the content warning: the heroine is a women kidnapped from her husband and kids, including newborn twins, and forced by her kidnapper to marry/screw him because he foresees her as the mother of his heir. Oh, and she has magic amnesia during all this. That’s rape, folks.

PJOmega posted:

There is no way the book can hold a tenth of the horror that note brings.

While I’m not sure having not read it myself, I did some digging and found :nws: one short review that describes the sort of horrors one will encounter :nws:

From what I can gather the author pushed the envelope in her genre and has much better material; the only other review I found commented it felt like Small stopped trying with this book.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Uh, are including the sequels in that? Because the only thing I remember about books 3 and 4 is the incredibly uncomfortable and gross sexualization of Space Girl-Jesus. She's 10 or something when she's introduced. Those books are super weird.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Konstantin posted:

While this is probably true of modern authors, Mr. Tolkien and Mr. Lewis would like a word with you.

I don’t like the Narnia books and they’re basically proselytization aimed at kids so gently caress Lewis. Was Tolkien conservative? I thought he got super angry when white supremacists started propping up his work as “proof” he thought orcs (aka black people) were subhuman.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Tolkien was very much a conservative Christian, but of the kind that fairly genuinely wished for a world of peace and kindness for all mankind - albeit preferably in their own countries, with India included as part of England etc.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Groke posted:

Also he went on at some length about wanting to punch Terry Pratchett. gently caress that guy.

Why did he want to punch Sir Terry?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SiKboy posted:

I'm gonna guess envy, no matter what his stated reasons were.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Loomer posted:

Tolkien was very much a conservative Christian, but of the kind that fairly genuinely wished for a world of peace and kindness for all mankind - albeit preferably in their own countries, with India included as part of England etc.

He did go on record telling the Nazis to go gently caress themselves and their antisemitism.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SiKboy posted:

Terry said he wanted to end his life on his own terms, after receiving a diagnosis of a terminal wasting disease.

Here he is, discussing his attendance at an event where Terry spoke on the issue

quote:

I sat and listened to pure evil being uttered in charming accents accentuated by droll witticism, and I did not stand up, and I did not strike the old man who uttered them across the mouth: and when he departed, everyone stood and gave him an ovation, even though he had done nothing in his life aside from entertain their idle afternoons. Only I did not stand, being too sick at heart. I did nothing, I said nothing. Was this Christian humility on my part, or merely the cowardice of the silence good men which allows evil men to triumph?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

FMguru posted:

Terry said he wanted to end his life on his own terms, after receiving a diagnosis of a terminal wasting disease.

Here he is, discussing his attendance at an event where Terry spoke on the issue

loving hell... I'd have been less disgusted if his reason was "envy" as it turns out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SiKboy posted:

loving hell... I'd have been less disgusted if his reason was "envy" as it turns out.

Seriously. That was perverse.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Karia posted:

Uh, are including the sequels in that? Because the only thing I remember about books 3 and 4 is the incredibly uncomfortable and gross sexualization of Space Girl-Jesus. She's 10 or something when she's introduced. Those books are super weird.
Yes, although some people like The Fall of Hyperion so really books 3/4 unequivocally yes and book 2 maybe.

(best idea in book 3 is totally wasted, that's the two guys sharing one crucifix so every time one dies the other is brought back to life so the church has to kill the one guy off every time the other guy dies)

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

FMguru posted:

Interesting now I want to punch him.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Karia posted:

One and two are good. Three is a good idea with poor execution and a really lovely ending. Four is just garbage. Like, Simmons doesn't sexualize a child, but he does use some time tricks to jump her from a teen right to an adult so she's free to sexually pursue her former guardian who's then gets to be all "aw shucks, I'm just such a bumbling fool who's constantly being pulled into the paces of this cool, wise person. Oh she wants to gently caress now? Guess I better go along with it because she's so much smarter and wise than me." He then spends the rest of the book as the kind of jealous, needy boyfriend who calls his girl twenty times in one night and wonders who she's loving when she wont pick up.

I really hated that last book.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

For those who need the content warning: the heroine is a women kidnapped from her husband and kids, including newborn twins, and forced by her kidnapper to marry/screw him because he foresees her as the mother of his heir. Oh, and she has magic amnesia during all this. That’s rape, folks.

While I’m not sure having not read it myself, I did some digging and found :nws: one short review that describes the sort of horrors one will encounter :nws:

From what I can gather the author pushed the envelope in her genre and has much better material; the only other review I found commented it felt like Small stopped trying with this book.

See, all of that is bad but I can understand it being published. It's hosed up, but there is an audience for that sort of thing, even if it is often inexplicable to me what the allure is and especially in the face of other writing.

But the truly horrifying thing to me is that someone handwrote that note in the book. Someone bent their pencil to paper for the pure fact they enjoyed it to such an extent.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

there wolf posted:

One and two are good. Three is a good idea with poor execution and a really lovely ending. Four is just garbage. Like, Simmons doesn't sexualize a child, but he does use some time tricks to jump her from a teen right to an adult so she's free to sexually pursue her former guardian who's then gets to be all "aw shucks, I'm just such a bumbling fool who's constantly being pulled into the paces of this cool, wise person. Oh she wants to gently caress now? Guess I better go along with it because she's so much smarter and wise than me." He then spends the rest of the book as the kind of jealous, needy boyfriend who calls his girl twenty times in one night and wonders who she's loving when she wont pick up.

I really hated that last book.

Yeah she ages up to 18 or 19 when he is like 35. If you're already using the theory of relativity so they can be in a relationship, why not make her around the same age? Nevermind the fact that they had this whole father daughter dynamic up to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

grittyreboot posted:

Yeah she ages up to 18 or 19 when he is like 35. If you're already using the theory of relativity so they can be in a relationship, why not make her around the same age? Nevermind the fact that they had this whole father daughter dynamic up to that point.

I feel like barely of-age teen starts sexual relationship with parental figure was a thing in 80's scifi. Like Anne McCaffery absolutely loved that to a disturbing extent.