Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

bros can get old!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

bros can get old!?!?!

only the swordmaster (and maybe the retired soldier?)

and they have to be level 9+ for that event to trigger. you can use the youth juice on them to permanently remove it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There is also a way to remove the Old trait, though it is hard to obtain.

Edit: Darn ninja edits

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Night10194 posted:

Goddamnit. I finally had a swordsmaster who wasn't made of paper and now he's gotten old on me.

The fountain of youth legendary location permanently fixes that now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do I gotta fight anything insane for that? I learned some lessons from that goddamn Ice Cave.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Do I gotta fight anything insane for that? I learned some lessons from that goddamn Ice Cave.

You just have to investigate a tree when you find it and not drink all of it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Getting to the point that the 230 chosen armor dropping is a downgrade from everything you have on is weird, like I should start a new game, but I haven't done all the really hard camps or anything so I'm keeping this going. Also it turns out I have 11 guys at 12-13 now, so maybe I should mod that file soon.

Also check out this hunter, he turned out pretty okay.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

John Charity Spring posted:

There are two backgrounds in the base game: the Hoggart start and a 3 average mercs start without the Hoggart hook. Beast slayers are added by the Beasts & Exploration and all the other backgrounds are tied to the new DLC.

I think you're mixing Origins and Backgrounds?

The Origins are a new feature in the latest DLC that mix up the game start: Peasant Militia, Cult, Northern Raiders, etc. None of them were in the base game or the Beasts and Exploration DLC.

The Backgrounds are the careers of new hires, which define their range of stats and pay. I think all of them were in the base game except (as you said) Beast Slayer (DLC1) and Barbarian (DLC2).

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

this map seed is probably one of the best I've played on, GJIIVBLHNJ. ports connecting the north to south, easy movement around most of the map and a couple of great trade cities right in the middle. the entire western half, and I do mean 'half', of the map is unexplored which you can check out on your return trips from the north on your trade loop. the noble house split is pretty even with two factions having an entirely pimped out citadel, plus the map is lousy with other blast furnaces/iron veins/hunter cabins.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Every time I play this game I get stuck just doing contracts over and over, I've tried to focus more on clearing camps but it just never seems to work out, either they're way too strong or I just don't get enough loot to make it really worthwhile. Are there any pro tips which make this easier? It's really hard to get famed equipment when you have to buy it all

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Every time I play this game I get stuck just doing contracts over and over, I've tried to focus more on clearing camps but it just never seems to work out, either they're way too strong or I just don't get enough loot to make it really worthwhile. Are there any pro tips which make this easier? It's really hard to get famed equipment when you have to buy it all

I find the best way to do a real exploration expedition is once you're pretty decked out, like around the time just before or just after the first crisis. Load up on like a week's worth of food, max out your tools, and head out into the unknown. Try and get all the way to the edge of the map and do a big loop around it so you're never going over the same ground twice, and along the way fight any lairs you find that have manageable enemy compositions. I find when I do this I usually end up fighting a lot of orc berserkers because they often have caves that are just half a dozen of them and maybe a couple orc young. Any one lair won't give you enough loot to make it worthwhile, but do like five to ten of them in one trip before heading back after a week or two and you'll be unloading tons and tons of stuff. I made over 10,000 gold from my last expedition like that, just from selling a bunch of furs (from orc camps), orc weaponry, a few treasures from undead or barbarian camps, and some miscellaneous equipment as well, in a city with ambushed trade routes. I also picked up I think two famed armours along the way so it was a really profitable adventure in both finances and the cool gear that's the #1 reason I play the game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I find the best way to do a real exploration expedition is once you're pretty decked out, like around the time just before or just after the first crisis. Load up on like a week's worth of food, max out your tools, and head out into the unknown. Try and get all the way to the edge of the map and do a big loop around it so you're never going over the same ground twice, and along the way fight any lairs you find that have manageable enemy compositions. I find when I do this I usually end up fighting a lot of orc berserkers because they often have caves that are just half a dozen of them and maybe a couple orc young. Any one lair won't give you enough loot to make it worthwhile, but do like five to ten of them in one trip before heading back after a week or two and you'll be unloading tons and tons of stuff. I made over 10,000 gold from my last expedition like that, just from selling a bunch of furs (from orc camps), orc weaponry, a few treasures from undead or barbarian camps, and some miscellaneous equipment as well, in a city with ambushed trade routes. I also picked up I think two famed armours along the way so it was a really profitable adventure in both finances and the cool gear that's the #1 reason I play the game.

I was kind of hoping to be able to do it more early game, especially as say the raider start, being effectively stuck in one part of the map gets boring after a while.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RabidWeasel posted:

I was kind of hoping to be able to do it more early game, especially as say the raider start, being effectively stuck in one part of the map gets boring after a while.

I feel you, I've been stuck on the same 4 towns for 3 in-game weeks doing undead after undead mission.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can totally go exploring early or mid game once you build up a bit of a buffer of crowns. Just take a little trip away from the settlements once in a while, or just take a detour while doing a delivery quest. Another option that can be quite lucrative is to go hunting for lairs once you get one of those noble patrol quests, as it counts any enemy slain as a head, not just those slain on the road.

Just don't be afraid of retreating if you run into something you have no chance of beating.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What weapon should my tanks be sticking with? Right now I'm just giving them Spears, but spearwall seems to suck once you actually fight smart or well geared enemies.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Jarvisi posted:

What weapon should my tanks be sticking with? Right now I'm just giving them Spears, but spearwall seems to suck once you actually fight smart or well geared enemies.

A variety have their uses. Even spears are good less for direct damage but more for area control by stopping enemies from coming close with spearwall. Axes are handy for taking down shields, hammers for taking down armour, maces are good for stunning and fatiguing, etc. I'd say there are some that are poor for one handed weapons once you fight tougher enemies, flails for instance don't progress well, but most have a niche.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Mazz posted:

I can’t do the hunting grounds event, get an infinite loading screen :(

If that's the one about the Ijirok and the moose, then I have the same problem.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Is it unreasonable to expect my random hodge podge of farmers, cutthroats and ne'er-do-wells to live beyond the first crisis? Do you pretty much have to professionalise your force? Or is that just the expectation once you have the money to hire sellswords and nobles? My guys are great and I love their stupid little mustached faces but a mercenaries life is starting to take a toll on the lads. I have probably three guys with over 70 MA and two with over 70 Ranged attack, everyone else is hovering between late 50s and late 60's in their offensive skills and it seems like they just aren't cutting it anymore.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Southpaugh posted:

Is it unreasonable to expect my random hodge podge of farmers, cutthroats and ne'er-do-wells to live beyond the first crisis? Do you pretty much have to professionalise your force? Or is that just the expectation once you have the money to hire sellswords and nobles? My guys are great and I love their stupid little mustached faces but a mercenaries life is starting to take a toll on the lads. I have probably three guys with over 70 MA and two with over 70 Ranged attack, everyone else is hovering between late 50s and late 60's in their offensive skills and it seems like they just aren't cutting it anymore.

Farmers and such can last forever but yeah they need to have like 2-3 stars and be up into the high 70s at least. That or like 50+ melee defense with a shield on. Once you get up to fighting real enemies in camps or events those low guys do kind of become a liability because they’ll be a speed bump to a handful of chosen or whatever. What I did was just stick with them till they died, then just took my time getting replacements. A party of 10 or 11 isn’t functionally different than 12 outside of those crazy 30 orc camps, so there’s no pressure to max it out.

I highly, highly recommend the show stars on tryout mod for late game play in that regard. Especially in a lone wolf game.

Good peasants can be better than most noble class dudes though with the right stats, so don't think you need to replace everyone. Here's one of my 200+ day guys. I got real lucky with getting him and a couple others in the first ~10 days though.

EDIT: He’s also a lesson in not neglecting fatigue, this was really the first game I’ve taken this long and heavy armor really ate into his too late for me to fix. Thankfully the noble sword still makes him a murder machine

AG3 posted:

If that's the one about the Ijirok and the moose, then I have the same problem.

Yep, there’s a bug report on the steam forums part too so hopefully they know already. If not I’ll make a report myself sometime soon. They seem very on the ball with patches which is cool.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 23, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm trying to remember / find a post from a long time ago that went into detail comparing endgame armors with enhancements and battleforged. I think it talked about reaching a threshold at around 300 durability via either sellsword's armor + lindwurm cloak, or (something else?)

What is the current consensus on best overall endgame armor? Coat of Scales for your two-handers, sellsword's or normal scale for the rest?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Is that permanent now? Cause if I remember it correctly, it used to remove the "old" trait, but later on the same event could trigger again. There was even a mod to make it actually perma.

That's a nice change if you can get an actual young swordmaster now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hammerstein posted:

Is that permanent now? Cause if I remember it correctly, it used to remove the "old" trait, but later on the same event could trigger again. There was even a mod to make it actually perma.

That's a nice change if you can get an actual young swordmaster now.

Yeah apparently fixed in patch according to reports.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

I'm trying to remember / find a post from a long time ago that went into detail comparing endgame armors with enhancements and battleforged. I think it talked about reaching a threshold at around 300 durability via either sellsword's armor + lindwurm cloak, or (something else?)

What is the current consensus on best overall endgame armor? Coat of Scales for your two-handers, sellsword's or normal scale for the rest?

Regular scales is definitely where I ended up for my line guys, it has low fatigue for 240.

Also are you saying 300 is where you choose battleforged over nimble or something else?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 23, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mazz posted:

Regular scales is definitely where I ended up for my line guys, it has low fatigue for 240.

Also are you saying 300 is where you choose battleforged over nimble or something else?

No no for some reason that was the threshold the guy in the post I remembered was aiming for. I can't remember why he picked that # though -- basically that's what I'm trying to figure out also, why 300 armor. Maybe something to do with Man With Crossbow danger?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

No no for some reason that was the threshold the guy in the post I remembered was aiming for. I can't remember why he picked that # though -- basically that's what I'm trying to figure out also, why 300 armor. Maybe something to do with Man With Crossbow danger?

Interesting, nothing comes to mind for me either. If you find it let us know

Was it in this thread? Maybe I can take a look if I have time

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mazz posted:

Interesting, nothing comes to mind for me either. If you find it let us know

Was it in this thread? Maybe I can take a look if I have time

Actually I think it was in the Steam forums around the time the B&E DLC came out and it appears to be gone now, that forum doesn't archive >_<

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Another build question:

I've noticed that the pole hammers can be really useful, as can warhammers. Anyone tried taking a standard warhammer two-hander bro and switching weapons between the polehammer and warhammer as appropriate?

I ask because my old backline flank setup was usually a greatsword on either flank in front, with a warhammer directly behind for the big knockaway sweep. It seems like switching those back guys to polehammers could make great can openers, then if needed in melee they could switch to two-handed warhammers. Thoughts?

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
A person made a combat calculator roughly a month ago which can simulate hits to kill with different setups. The 300 armor threshold seems to be roughly in line with my tests on that.

A nimble brother with 115 hp and 105/95 armor has comparable survivability as a 70 hp 250/260 battleforged brother.
The big difference is one of consistency. The nimble brother will always be able to take 3-5 rounds of hits regardless of the weapon (notable exception is cleavers). The BF brother have a handful of weapons that straight up murder him, while other just bounce of him.

Osci fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 23, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Another build question:

I've noticed that the pole hammers can be really useful, as can warhammers. Anyone tried taking a standard warhammer two-hander bro and switching weapons between the polehammer and warhammer as appropriate?

I ask because my old backline flank setup was usually a greatsword on either flank in front, with a warhammer directly behind for the big knockaway sweep. It seems like switching those back guys to polehammers could make great can openers, then if needed in melee they could switch to two-handed warhammers. Thoughts?

I’ve been doing that but with axes, switching between the longaxe and greataxe. I don’t have a hammer guy yet but I could see the value for sure.

Ive found the long axe wins the majority of time though because the range + berserk + frenzy makes him a monster in the middle rounds of a fight. Same with billhooks. The hammer might be more of a tossup because of the AoE though, I don’t like the axe spin because there’s always like 3 friendlies in range for me.

Osci posted:

A person made a combat calculator roughly a month ago which can simulate hits to kill with different setups. The 300 armor threshold seems to be roughly in line with my tests on that.

A nimble brother with 115 hp and 105/95 armor has comparable survivability as a 70 hp 250/260 battleforged brother.
The big difference is one of consistency. The nimble brother will always be able to take 3-5 rounds of hits regardless of the weapon (notable exception is cleavers). The BF brother have a handful of weapons that straight up murder him, while other just bounce of him.

That is very neat, thanks.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 23, 2019

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Osci posted:

nimble bro is also vulnerable to ranged right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Osci posted:

Interesting, thanks.

I generally don't go for nimble frontliners just because of the problem of having bros get sidelined from injuries. There are a few crisis quests where you have to fight a number of battles in quick succession and you can swap out broken armor easier than swapping out a bro. Still, I admit I haven't tried them much, so maybe that isn't as much of a problem as I'd imagine it to be.

Mazz posted:

I’ve been doing that but with axes, switching between the longaxe and greataxe. I don’t have a hammer guy yet but I could see the value for sure.

Ive found the long axe wins the majority of time though because the range + berserk + frenzy makes him a monster in the middle rounds of a fight. Same with billhooks. The hammer might be more of a tossup because of the AoE though, I don’t like the axe spin because there’s always like 3 friendlies in range for me.

That is very neat, thanks.

I carry some longaxes around to give my archers for schrat fights but I haven't picked up any greataxes yet on my current run (currently nearing the end of first noble war crisis). But yeah, that was basically my thought -- polehammers for range most of the time, swap to warhammers if surrounded at close range. Also would give me some versatility on my flanks -- I really like having a spearman on each wing too if I can fit them.

Come to think of it I haven't really found any good axes yet at all. Maybe I should grab some orc ones.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 23, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

kidkissinger posted:

nimble bro is also vulnerable to ranged right?

Not particularly, in fact better against crossbows because of the armor ignore AFAIK. Nimble makes you only take a percentage of incoming HP damage at the expense of having armor over that HP. This works because it reduces that HP damage accordingly, it doesn’t matter what’s shooting/attacking in that regard (to an extent, high Hp damage weapons are still more dangerous). All my of archers are nimble with 150/90 on, they can survive 3-4 ranged hits from experience now, barring some real bad luck. I lose 10% of the nimble reduction with that much armor but I find that 150 black mail coat to work well and look good, which is equally important

The key to a nimble build though is you can’t neglect HP if they are going to take hits regularly. Note that Osci said the nimble guy had 115 HP, that is a decidedly not a standard amount. You need to spend on a nimble guy to pay off, but it does work well in the end. Especially considering nimble means far less fatigue and init penalties from that light armor.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 23, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Another build question:

I've done something similar, though I never did the switching within a fight. But in my last run before the new DLC I had a really good one-handed hammer bro whose main job in life was to use his can opener on orc warriors so my greatswords could make short work of them. But he was really good and one-handed hammers aren't great in a lot of other fights, so the rest of the time he used a polehammer and hung out in the second rank, where he was still really good. It meant shield mastery going to waste most of the time but drat if it wasn't worth it.

e: drat but this dude owned

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 23, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
That dude would own against chosen too

Give him to me

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Started a new Lone Wolf run. Finally survived enough fights to start making progress, and more importantly, to start upgrading my knight. For the first 30 days I was mostly doing low risk contracts to pay for my recruits that kept dying. It took me until day 30 or so before I finally got some very lucky stats on some recruits and now I’m getting somewhere since I don’t have to pay 4-600 after every couple of contracts to replace more dead recruits anymore.

Luckily I gathered up enough weapons and basic armor to outfit my guys easily. My next goal is to upgrade my knight's weapon to something stronger than the starting sword.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh another thing:

I've read some reports that taunt is a cool and good skill now. Is that valid? Does it work? Does it have a range?

Specifically, has anyone tried putting taunt on a character with MDef, shield mastery, and spear mastery for spearwall, and how well does that work if so?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

RabidWeasel posted:

You can do it earlier. Once you've got decent enough archers to counter Marksmen and take down Orc Berserkers you can attack Brigand and some Orc camps. At that point Necromancers and Barbarians shouldn't be a huge problem anymore, either. And once you've got good enough armor (150+) to withstand poison/bleeding effects and go through multiple fights without bros getting injured you can go after Goblins and go on extended trips. Ancient Dead are almost impossible to do without injuries on Expert because the game spawns Legionaries almost right away but may be possible on Veteran.

Jarvisi posted:

Depends on the point you're at in the game and how good the bros are. Really early spears are alright but later on they don't do enough damage and the enemies Spearwall works best against become less relevant (you don't need to optimize your Nachzehrer-killing strategy in the late game). I personally upgrade to swords as soon as I can.
And some bros are stuck on swords forever just because their stats are trash. They may not have the Fatigue to wear heavy armor and use another weapon, or they may need the +10 attack roll bonus due to lovely Melee Skill. Arming Swords drop often enough from Raiders, so it's fine to have some people on them.
Generally, the next step for most bros are flails, though. The highest tier flail is also dropped by Raiders, does decent armor damage (which spears and swords don't), and both the basic attack's ability to ignore shields and the secondary attack's guaranteed headshot are very relevant.
Later on my shield bros all primarily use maces. Maces strip armor reasonably well, stun, and add Fatigue to enemies, so they're always useful. 1h axes are okay but don't get rid of shields fast enough imo - I have a 2h axe bro for that. Similarly, 1h hammers are alright but 2h hammers are the best weapon in the game imo, so I don't use the 1h version unless a Brigand Leader drops a top tier one really early.
A dagger specialist is useful to have but needs a second weapon and Quick Hands because you only use daggers for Puncture, never their basic attack, so butter knives are actually the most fatiguing weapon to use. Swords pair well with daggers but a mace works as well if the bro has a lot of Fatigue.

Southpaugh posted:

You need to keep hiring bros. Yours aren't good enough, that's true.
That does not mean you need to hire the professional backgrounds, though.
If you hire nothing but Sellswords, Raiders, Hunters etc. you just piss money away. Not just because their wages are often too high for how good they actually are, but also because they cost a lot to hire. And a lot of that money you pay up front is wasted because you pay it for their initial gear and levels. Gear that is often on par with stuff you loot from Raiders and levels that barely matter because the first 4 levels come so quickly.
You want to hire those expensive bros for three reasons:
1. There's no alternative. That only really applies to Hunters since the only other good and affordable ranged background are Poachers.
2. You're desperate. Sometimes you just don't get bros with the potential to use two-handed weapons well (80+ Melee Skill, 25+ Melee Defense at level 11) or you take a couple of losses and need somebody competent right now. Then you just hire a Hedge Knight or Sellsword because even if they're overpriced they're guaranteed to be okay, if not necessarily good.
3. You can use the gear you pay for. Squires sometimes come with a tier 3 Mace you might want, for example. And it can be worth dropping 12k on a greatsword and suit of scale armor that come with a Hedge Knight attached to them, even if that Hedge Knight turns out to be Dumb and has his talent stars in Initiative, Ranged Skill and Ranged Defense.

Apart from that, just hire and fire cheap bros. A naked Wildman costs like 100 bucks and is about as likely to be endgame material as a Raider you pay 3.5k for. Messengers and Houndmasters can have decent starting Melee Defense and come with other bonuses so they can turn out to be good two-hander candidates. So can Thieves. Militia are often too expensive to hire but basically always worth trying if they're available for around 500 or less because their wages are low and they can be good at everything. Butchers and Graverobbers are just really solid melee bros. Gravediggers and Gamblers are cheap and often decent.

The only more expensive backgrounds I hire anymore are:
Hunters because there are no alternatives beyond Poachers and occasionally cheap Witch Hunters
Squires when they're cheap (~800) or come with gear I want because like Militia they can be good at anything so hiring them is less risky
Adventurous Nobles because they're not too expensive and actually get substantial bonuses to important stats while their terrible Ranged Defense just means they need a shield
Hedge Knights because they're all but guaranteed to be usable and you can generally find one with decent gear

If I'm really desperate I might hire a Sellsword and probably regret it instantly.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just wanted to point out that a whip bro or two can make taking on ancient dead early on a lot easier, since you can just snag the lance from dangerous lance legionaries. And you can do it from the back row.

Edit: Would having a whip duelist with the thorned whip have enough armor pen that it could reasonably apply bleed through armor?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 23, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

<Useful information>

Thanks, I should have said I only play on Expert / Expert

Agree though I'm pretty sure that the biggest mistake most people make is hiring expensive backgrounds when it isn't worth it. I don't go looking for top tier hires until my entire frontline is in 2hs and heavy armour (mostly 280+), you just get better return from investing in equipment and rehiring 100 gold a pop brawlers looking for the perfect traits than you do from hiring hedge knights etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Oh another thing:

I've read some reports that taunt is a cool and good skill now. Is that valid? Does it work? Does it have a range?

Specifically, has anyone tried putting taunt on a character with MDef, shield mastery, and spear mastery for spearwall, and how well does that work if so?

As far as I can tell taunt only works if the target can hit the taunter. I ran half my front line as tanks (60-70 m.def with shield) and it worked fairly well against chosen and orc warriors. Fatigue was a major issue so the tanks barely attacked. A three head flail was decent on them to keep enemies from just walking away because their melee attack sucked.