Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So why the obsession with EVs? Why not hydrogen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

incontinence 100 posted:

Storing and distributing hydrogen is a bit more difficult than electricity

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

We already happen to have a well established distribution network for electricity

I'm a little surprised that Weber's hasn't actually installed a few fast-chargers in the lots on both sides. It's not a terrible idea. Come for the charge, stay for the crappy burging nostalgia!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Why not just end the growth economy based on endless consumption of scarce resources, which necessitates the ownership of a private vehicle while destroying our ability to live on earth? :shrug:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RBC posted:

kraftwerk why don't you tell us what kind of job forces you to commute to 4 different cities on a regular basis. That's weird as gently caress and it's also weird as gently caress that you somehow believe this is representative of a lot of other people. It isn't because there are things that exist like telephones and the internet.

This is my favorite "class conciousness" post in the last few pages. Who the hell works at more than one physical location indeed? Why don't you just have your remote telepresence swing that hammer, comrade?

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Rime posted:

Why not just end the growth economy based on endless consumption of scarce resources, which necessitates the ownership of a private vehicle while destroying our ability to live on earth? :shrug:

How will we make money then Rime?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I work in the chemical industry. My vendors, plants and customers are location sensitive. Freight can eat your margins up if you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time. We never left the 1970s.

Also I suggest you stop being so drat flippant and demeaning when discussing issues like how people should alter their lifestyles to suit your political beliefs. I happen to believe you guys are right. But you should learn from Pinterest Mom and Vyelkin on how to articulate your points without being abrasive.
The majority of the world isn’t as forgiving as I am and would sooner react by doubling down with the conservatives for what they perceive as a slight to their lifestyles.

Also it just so happens modern living and the conveniences it provides is highly addictive. Have you ever tried to get between an addict and his vice? If you’ve ever owned a car (particularly a fuel efficient one like a Prius or Corolla) it’s extremely addictive to just feel like going somewhere and then being able to do so with zero barriers simply by getting behind the wheel and going where you need to go. It’s especially great when you’re grumpy in the morning and stick your thermos full of coffee in the cup holder while you ride to work in peace and quiet and caffeinate enough to be in a presentable mood once you enter the office.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 22, 2019

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Got an email from federal NDP inviting me to an announcement on May 31st. They say they’ll announce a “concrete climate plan” and that it is “no longer time for words but for action”.

Let’s hope it’s better than a tax credit for Teslas and solar panels on the roofs of mansions.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

I mean, it won't be. That'd scare off the people who just aren't sure about climate change

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Defenistrator posted:

How will we make money then Rime?

Who gives a gently caress?

Alanis Obomsawin posted:

Canada, the most affluent of countries, operates on a depletion economy which leaves destruction in its wake. Your people are driven by a terrible sense of deficiency. When the last tree is cut, the last fish is caught, and the last river is polluted; when to breathe the air is sickening, you will realize, too late, that wealth is not in bank accounts and that you can’t eat money.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I mean if we magically figure out how to get the average Canadian to see past their own personal self interest we will solve a lot of things. I don't see any evidence that this is happening though.

I don't see any concrete climate action coming until we have had a lot more devastating floods and wildfires etc that directly impact enough peoples lives that it can't be ignored as inconvenient.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

incontinence 100 posted:

Lol

Does BC transit still have that Ballard bus or is it in a warehouse somewhere?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/stevelambertwpg/status/1131295600329351170

I hope this finally ends Fletchers political career

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The city of Penticton, BC, has come up with an interim (not final!) solution for their homeless problem.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-sitting-and-sleeping-on-downtown-sidewalks-could-net-100-fine-in/ posted:

Sitting and sleeping on some downtown sidewalks could be banned in Penticton, B.C., this summer as part of the city’s plan to crack down on loitering.

Councillors have voted 5-2 in favour of amending the Good Neighbourhood Bylaw, giving police and bylaw officers the power to hand out tickets for $100 fines.

[...]

Bylaw services supervisor Tina Siebert told council the approach is meant to be minimally restrictive and her staff tries to “balance the heart with the hammer” in its dealings with people.

One of the councillors who voted against was very concerned that bylaw enforcement might run wild and ticket people sitting as they watched the annual parade.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Speaking of fun party nominations, it looks like Terry Lake is running for the Liberals in Kamloops. You may remember Terry as the Health Minister who watched the fentanyl crisis happen and then ran away to work for a weed company rather than explain that to anyone. The conservative candidate will probably get 60% of the vote in Kamloops anyway.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

Lol

Does BC transit still have that Ballard bus or is it in a warehouse somewhere?

We've actually got two hydrogen fueling stations in the lower mainland which is 2 more than the rest of this country.

Good luck charging your Tesla when the company implodes later this year.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

incontinence 100 posted:

We've actually got two hydrogen fueling stations in the lower mainland which is 2 more than the rest of this country.

The infrastructure costs for hydrogen/gas are something else...

These two links are Natural Resources Canada grants for "alternative energy" fueling given out in the recent past/present, and you'll note that each hydrogen/natural gas station runs a solid million bucks, versus electric fast chargers at about 50k each.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/alternative-fuels/fuel-facts/ecoenergy/19464
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/alternative-fuels/fuel-facts/ecoenergy/21738

It's not like Tesla's infrastructure automatically disappears if/when the company goes bankrupt. Shareholders will get wiped out but someone else such as existing debt holders will pick it up and run it just fine with none of those pesky inconvenient debt/warranty/"free for life" obligations.

I wonder what percentage of all the fibre laid during the dot com boom has been lit, here in 2019. Probably still a fairly small amount.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

incontinence 100 posted:

Most of BC's charging infrastructure isn't superchargers. Going through the Kootenays I noticed that every second or third rest stop on the crowsnest had a rapid charging station available there, free of charge. Forget which company, and they aren't listed on this map.

https://chargehub.com/en/charging-stations-map.html

You can pretty easily drive even something low range like a Leaf across the country. Right now. Today. It's just going to take you an extra couple of days as the charging times add up. Oh well.

This is just the price you will have to pay for convenience and your ridiculously petty demands to live in a tiny bubble of personal space at the expense of life on earth.

Rime fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 22, 2019

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Build me coast to coast electric train travel

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Hydrogen as a fuel for passenger vehicles has a bunch of issues around it.

The best way to create hydrogen is through electrolysis, which is incredibly inefficient. It would take more power to create a tank of hydrogen to fuel a passenger vehicle than it would to charge a battery to take you a similar distance.

Second, Hydrogen is an incredibly volatile fuel source, a breached fuel cell during a crash risks a lot more, due to the explosive volitility of hydrogen.

Thirdly, we actually don't know what the gently caress would happen if we started putting gigatonnes of water vapour into the atmosphere. Would we drive the average humidity of the earth up? How does that affect the atmosphere and warming/cooling?

Hydrogen fuel cells will still have a place in flight and freight, because battery technology just isn't at the point where it can effectively power an ocean freighter or plane, and nuclear engines have their own host of problems. We don't want a potential nuclear bomb flying in and out of a city centre hundreds of times a day.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alright cool. So we're fine with mining lithium in perpetuity?

I think Tesla has a better chance of making a profit than a viable solid state battery.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

How about a gravity-powered water car with a big tank on the hood and as the water runs down to a lower tank it spins a paddle that propels the car forward.

Re-fueling stations will just be lift bays that take the lower tank and swap it to the top of your car, where the process repeats.

Patent pending.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I wanna know why giant cruise ships aren't nuclear powered, despite having gross tonnage in excess of a Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

THC posted:

I wanna know why giant cruise ships aren't nuclear powered, despite having gross tonnage in excess of a Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier

Because of the public perception of nuclear.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

James Baud posted:

The city of Penticton, BC, has come up with an interim (not final!) solution for their homeless problem.

Old people in Penticton love to whine endlessly about kids from Quebec who come out every summer to pick fruit in the orchards and spend their off time on the beaches partying. I'm sure someone will walk up and down the beaches slapping them all with $100 tickets, which will promptly be laughed off and thrown in the trash.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

James Baud posted:

One of the councillors who voted against was very concerned that bylaw enforcement might run wild and ticket people sitting as they watched the annual parade.

Ah yes, criminalizing homelessness, always a sure fire solution

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Argas posted:

Because of the public perception of nuclear.

People that go on cruises deserve to travel on purely fear based vehicles.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

I hope this finally ends Fletchers political career

It won't. It's not like he's ever cared about anything but issues that weren't his own personal issues. He just won't be tangentially affiliated with a group of people that loathe him as much as whoever he is currently sharing a room with. Eventually he'll be attached to some other group of shitheads and win a seat in west Winnipeg again where he can continue to only give a poo poo about things to matter himself personally.

It's been his entire career cycle.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

THC posted:

Because nuclear reactors are complicated and expensive, while petroleum fuels are easy and cheap. Also I'm pretty sure the major driver of nuclear power for aircraft carriers is endurance and space, which matters a hell of a lot less when you're putting into port every day or two anyway.

I love nuclear power and wish we had way more of it, but :lol: if you trust any cruise ship company to take nuclear safety seriously.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 22, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

THC posted:

I think if you look at Carnival Cruises' safety record and labour practices you'll understand why.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can pay a handful of Filipinos $300/mo to look after nuclear reactors, right?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

A nuclear reactor run by professionals is safe.

A nuclear reactor run by a company that likes to pay its workers $2/hr and has a long history of ship accidents and workplace mishaps, let alone can barely keep poop out of the salad bar, less so.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

A small reactor sinking every now and then is still better than constant bunker fuel being spewed into the air and spilled into the water from the current fleet.

Edit: by every metric except scariness, I guess.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 22, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

For the record the power consumption of the largest cruise ship isn't far off that of a Nimitz supercarrier. Adding up the power generators and propulsion the Symphony of the Seas needs around 178 MW. The Nimitz's two nuclear reactors produce around 200 MW.

There was an attempt back in the 50s to look at nuclear power for civilian ships but it largely fizzled out. Likely because of the insane cost. The NS Savannah cost the equivalent of half a billion dollars today (and more than half was the reactor cost), which is an order of magnitude more than a conventional ship of the same size. Plus nobody is willing to insure a nuclear vessel. That's a big issue for shipping companies and cruise lines.

Other than Russia's nuclear icebreakers there's been exactly four civilian nuclear vessels ever built, and only one is still in use.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 23, 2019

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There are probably some security considerations that are easier to handle on the Nimitz, than on your average Disney ship.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
How about we just ban the cruise industry and deny them entry to our territorial waters? Barring a global movement to seize and scrap without compensation, this is the best we can do.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Rime posted:

How about we just ban the cruise industry and deny them entry to our territorial waters? Barring a global movement to seize and scrap without compensation, this is the best we can do.

Sounds good, but the cruise industry is nothing compared to the international shipping industry for GHG emissions, unless you want to ban sea trade also.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Plus if we're already trying to reduce air travel, are we also going to scrap transatlantic passenger ship travel?

I mean a good start would be forcing cruise ship companies to actually install emission reduction systems and ban use of the dirtiest fuels.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Square Peg posted:

Sounds good, but the cruise industry is nothing compared to the international shipping industry for GHG emissions, unless you want to ban sea trade also.

Yes, that's kind of the loving point. The foundation of modern consumerism, and our economic reliance on it, has to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Plus if we're already trying to reduce air travel, are we also going to scrap transatlantic passenger ship travel?

I mean a good start would be forcing cruise ship companies to actually install emission reduction systems and ban use of the dirtiest fuels.

Good news is that we're starting to do part of that already
http://www.imo.org/en/MediaCentre/HotTopics/GHG/Documents/2020%20sulphur%20limit%20FAQ%202019.pdf

What was stated above about why we don't have nuclear ships is 100% correct. Cruise lines will always do things in the cheapest, most short sighted way possible. They do everything in their power to evade avoid regulations of all kinds. I'd also add that the people operating the machinery on a typical cruise ship are at most times somewhere between severely hung over and blackout drunk.

I have no reason to believe cargo shipping is any different.

Source: was an engineer for a major cruise line for a number of years, and did co-op training on a crude tanker.
Y'all should read this book