Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also if you're having a hard time competing with other families because some of them have county and duchy titles that are giving them a bunch of prestige (pretty common when you form a republic from a tribe), make it a long term goal to murder those family into extinction. They'll be replaced by a family that only has one barony level title, and they will be relying almost entirely on raising money to compete in elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
So I got the Alexander bloodline on my dickless 79 year old king. His 50 year old daughter got it, but none of my dynasty past her. All of her children are matrilinially born members of my dynasty, which should pass on all of her bloodlines. But my heir, my great grandson, doesn't have it. In fact, none of my other descendants have it. Just my old and infertile daughter. Any way I can get my dick back before I die?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Or just an explanation why the bloodline didn't flow down to my grandchildren would suffice. A bug in the Alexander bloodline script specifically?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
With the alexandrian bloodline, if you dont have sons to pass it on to, only female characters will inherit it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Oof. Well, RIP Alexander bloodline 323 BC - 1267 AD

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yea, it's one of those lovely learn it the hard way things.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I installed one of the highly rated workshop mods to add new traits and...

:eyepop:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Basically make drat sure that you get bloodlines on young dudes who haven't had kids yet, because anything else makes seeding the bloodline so much loving harder.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
For the last few months I've been tinkering around with the idea of making a pretty ambitious LP. The problem is that based on the structure of the whole thing, it would likely be the better part of a year before I could even post the first episode, even though I'm about at a point now that I would be ready to start the game. So before I spend all the time doing all the work, I'd like to get an idea of how much interest there would be.

There's a ton of detail I could squeeze in during the LP itself, but broadly, it would be a world conquest republic run covering 769-1453. I would build up all 5 families in such a way that I think the AI families could win elections and still hold the whole empire together. I have no idea if that's true. They could disintegrate in the biggest civil war the game has ever seen. I'm curious to find out, so after I get to the point where I think the AI families are strong enough, I would "retire" from elections, and let the AI run the show. In part to see what happens, and in part to help with the lag as I get closer to the end game.

Throughout the game, I would be recording characters of interest, screenshots, and different stories of the rise and potentially the fall of this empire. After everything is finished, I would write up the history of the empire from different "sources." From characters who were there, to historians looking back on the events to propaganda from those who were in power during or immediately after the events.

The pro to this method is that I think the playthrough would be much more story rich than your typical LP because I would have the benefit of knowing the end while writing it. The big con is that there's inherently little interactivity for the reader. No voting on how we should proceed or anything like that. To me as a big history geek, I think it would be awesome, because what better perspective to look at a history game than to look back on it as history, but I could see how a lot of people would lose interest since it would be more of a lets read than a lets play, but idk. Does the idea sound intriguing to anyone, or do you have any thoughts?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I'm on board, sounds fascinating. Would you be starting as a merchant republic or as a tribe?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks. I'm not married to the idea but most likely it would start as a custom republic rooted in a fictional retelling of the fitnas and the Abassid revolution.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 22, 2019

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Is there a way to stop my character's children from trying to marry each other? I swear my dude keep getting betrothal requests from half his sons trying to get engaged to their newborn sister.

Seriously, what the gently caress.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The only way to really stop that once your title and dynasty prestige get high enough is to switch to a religion that disallows close-kin marriage. If they're your vassals, arrange marriages for your sons before you give them land.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if there is one thing I would add to the game at this point it would be something to set dynastic rules by consuming a large amount of prestige or something, much like forging a bloodline. narratively itd be something like your character coining a meme that your entire dynasty adopts, like tywin’s constant spouting of “a Lannister always pays their debts”

i would HAPPILY drop 10k prestige to enforce a dynastic taboo on incest or to disallow a dynast to be the inferior member in a marriage. every god drat time I give a distant cousin a county or duchy to see that they’ve put their heir in an inferior marriage I get tempted to slaughter them all and start from scratch.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

But what's the opposite trait?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New Iron Century DD focusing on Muslim rulers at the time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tamba posted:

my guess is kind

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

There's only three religions in the game that allow close kin incest and they're all fairly hard to just stumble into. If by chance you are playing Zoroastrianism by accident, you can easily do what the Persians actually did in history and convert to Islam, which will also have the benefit of making the survival and expansion of your realm easier.

If you're in a randomized world and you accidentally picked a close kin marrying religion, converting may be harder. Or easier. One of those.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tamba posted:

Vanilla

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SlothfulCobra posted:

What on Earth would make the Umayyads white?

It seems that's the Caliphate of Cordoba, which might be a way to make the Umayyads the caliphs they were (or later, claimed to be), without giving them the religious head title.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-126-muslim-rulers-in-the-iron-century.1180028/

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I find that I keep restarting because staring at Ireland is boring and I want something that's both easy and meaty. I like the idea of taking a dynasty from a count of one county and no vassals all the way to an Empire, but everytime I get to work on a count my interest peters out because he seems to have so few options. Granted that's also my inexperience. Should I bite the bullet and just grab one of the large Kingdoms and run with that ruler? The idea of starting "mid dynasty" with an established ruler feels wrong to me, like I'm inheriting someone else's save-game. That and having to deal with tons of vassals, courtiers, titles, and lands before even unpausing the game.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

So I find that I keep restarting because staring at Ireland is boring and I want something that's both easy and meaty. I like the idea of taking a dynasty from a count of one county and no vassals all the way to an Empire, but everytime I get to work on a count my interest peters out because he seems to have so few options. Granted that's also my inexperience. Should I bite the bullet and just grab one of the large Kingdoms and run with that ruler? The idea of starting "mid dynasty" with an established ruler feels wrong to me, like I'm inheriting someone else's save-game. That and having to deal with tons of vassals, courtiers, titles, and lands before even unpausing the game.

I understand what you mean w/r/t dropping in on someone else's save. I would suggest going with one of the Sardinian Judicates in 1066. Sardinia is basically divided into 6 independent counties at that point, and half of the counts are related to each other so there's chance for peaceful inheritance with a lot of assassination early on. And you'll want to do that early on because Genoa and Pisa are very interested in the island. Try to consolidate the counties before they hoover up the remaining independent counts as vassals.

My most recent game started as this guy, and after some crusades into Iberia and Tunis and marrying into the kingdom of Italy, I created the empire of Sardinia and Corsica. Which ended up having a white color almost exactly like the HRE's, so i stopped playing the game. The kingdom title turns everything salmon pink so that was nice to see for the majority of the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I understand what you mean w/r/t dropping in on someone else's save. I would suggest going with one of the Sardinian Judicates in 1066. Sardinia is basically divided into 6 independent counties at that point, and half of the counts are related to each other so there's chance for peaceful inheritance with a lot of assassination early on. And you'll want to do that early on because Genoa and Pisa are very interested in the island. Try to consolidate the counties before they hoover up the remaining independent counts as vassals.

My most recent game started as this guy, and after some crusades into Iberia and Tunis and marrying into the kingdom of Italy, I created the empire of Sardinia and Corsica. Which ended up having a white color almost exactly like the HRE's, so i stopped playing the game. The kingdom title turns everything salmon pink so that was nice to see for the majority of the game.

That sounds like my cup of tea. War in this game (the little I've played) seem dope and fun but I don't want to have to rush to war right away. But plots and assassinations and being a devil worshipper seems fun. That's the other thing: every time I start a new game I join an evil cult.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Starting in mide or westmeath in Ireland 769 is similar. Or northern Ireland, most of the counts seem related up there.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

That should probably be negative fertility, since I can't imagine having your balls crushed helps with pumping out kids.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

i can personally recommend the County of Dax in 769.

Coolguye posted:

alright yall, thought exercise here.

i am trying to set up a breakout game as the Count of Dax in 769. Ultimately he is a vassal of Karl. here are some facts.

- He's a 3-county Count whose de jure duke is incredibly easy to depose, and is also one of the only Basque rulers in the world at that start date. This is important because you can convert to Basque culture easily, then get depose your ruler and become Duke just as easily.

- He borders the Umayyads, who start the game with about 3k dudes. After solidifying his grip on his home duchy, Dax will probably have about 1k dudes (depending on his randomized stats at the beginning of the game).

- It is easy to get full alliances with Lombardy and Asturias, who have about 2-3k and 1k dudes apiece.

- His 51 year old uncle is the unmarried and childless duke of Aquataine. Dax is second in line for the ducal succession, after his 1-year-old grandson.

- His home duchy is small enough to go Full North Korea on and launder even the baron-level titles if need be. This can get him on the order of 1500 gold in the first 5 years of the game. This is not entirely desirable though because Dax starts out with young Cardinal in his territory who always has 20 learning. He makes an amazing Chaplain and physician so laundering him is painful.

i also later came up with a strategy for breaking out as him which i posted here:

Coolguye posted:

~here be spoilers~

only one note: the Cardinal in Dax's territory got nerfed in the Great Works update, now he only has 15 learning instead of 20.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Do a Crusader run. Plenty of fun and challenge along the way. You can even embrace being a paragon of virtue for once instead of being an inbreeding psychopath. Pretty much all of your kings will become saints and you'll be swimming in cash and great works by taking part in every crusade. Hell, you can even help the northern crusades between wars.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Average Bear posted:

Do a Crusader run. Plenty of fun and challenge along the way. You can even embrace being a paragon of virtue for once instead of being an inbreeding psychopath. Pretty much all of your kings will become saints and you'll be swimming in cash and great works by taking part in every crusade. Hell, you can even help the northern crusades between wars.

Can I do a Crusade run while still secretly being a devil worshipper?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Can I do a Crusade run while still secretly being a devil worshipper?

You know it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How far does the devil worshipping sect go? Like, can I secretly breed with devil worshipping woman, making those bastards my heirs will forcing my real children to watch as their own siblings are burned for Lucifer? Then bring the heads to the momwife?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Basically you lose stats and traits until you become a dying infirm vegetable. Devil societies actually kinda suck.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Although you could make a demon baby and play as it if you can get your wife to join the cult. Then you can try to get that demon baby into sainthood.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hmm, well that's no fun. Still, maybe I'll be a real good guy! A bright shining example of the Lord Jesus Christ as I stamp out the pagan disbelievers, breed them out, and erect churches on their bones.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So the Umayyads have a titular emperor title? I'm not sure I like that. Sure, they're big enough and control much more land than just a single kingdom, but in a lot of games, one big tipping point is when the big green blob turns yellow, as the Umayyads finish their consolidation over the Iberian peninsula and become an empire. At that point there's not much hope of pushing them back. Giving them an empire right off the bat is worrying.

Otherwise, that's some nice and fragmented Islam there. I may go and play some more muslim games with this. I'd probably play in that area more often, but at so many starts they start out too big, and it's a pain to find good vassals at the game start screen (I wish they had the direct vassal mapmode instead of hopping between count/duke/king).

Maybe I should try playing a top title and intentionally provoke a decadency war? I guess that'd be the equivalent of playing a game where you don't immediately try to beeline your way out of gavelkind and just let your realm split constantly.

chaosapiant posted:

So I find that I keep restarting because staring at Ireland is boring and I want something that's both easy and meaty.

Ireland's real good as a safe space for just figuring out what buttons do, but it's very slow goings for a while. Another reason it makes a good start is that the Kingdom of Ireland is comparatively weak, so after you unite Ireland, you'll still be challenged by the states in Britain, which is good gameplay-wise, but feels a little unrewarding.

The first game I had where I really started to get a handle on the game was Sicily in 1066 (the boot not the island), it's a good bit bigger, but it's not overpowered or anything. It's technically the start of the dynasty, Robert Guiscard has a pretty amazing story in history, and it's perfectly situated for taking part in the crusades (historically, his son Bohemond became prince of Antioch). It's not quite as safe from bigger powers since there's the Byzantines, HRE, and possible African jihads, but if worst comes to worst you can try swearing to a higher liege or just go out in a blaze of glory.

Another good, big flashy place to play is over in Iberia, as one of Leon, Galicia, or Castile. You've got some brothers for allies (or assassinating to inherit their lands), you've got a bunch of fractured muslim states to prey on without needing to forge claims. If you are still trying to figure out basic game mechanics, you can play the in-game tutorial that walks you through some of playing as Leon before setting you free.

For more suggestions, the interesting characters list on the wiki may be useful.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

chaosapiant posted:

How far does the devil worshipping sect go? Like, can I secretly breed with devil worshipping woman, making those bastards my heirs will forcing my real children to watch as their own siblings are burned for Lucifer? Then bring the heads to the momwife?

I find events about you doing stuff happen considerably too often in the satanic sect. You're kinda forced to accept whatever is coming up and even if you succeed you most likely will develop nasty negative traits that quickly leave you unplayable. Denying the proposals technically works but usually is even worse in the outcome than just doing it and taking the trait.

It's a rather temporary fun, unless you get a demon baby, which however isn't as easy and also has some downsides.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

chaosapiant posted:

If you have the Charlemange DLC, I like the Duke of Flanders start. He's starts with decent land, a vassal, and is a vassal of King Chuck. There's lots of internal political manoeuvring you can do. If you want to be independent, grab Duke in England and work your way to the Kingdom - I usually start as Wessex or Mercia. Starting as a single count sucks so don't do that. England might be rough in 866 with Ragnar's boys messing up the place, but a duke in France or the HRE might be a good bet too.

If you want a tribal / pagan game, Sigurdr Ring in 769 Sweden is boss, as is Harald Fairhair in 866. You can easily bully all the other tribals around and forge a Kingdom title. It's up to you if you want to convert to Catholicism or try to reform your pagan religion. They follow different rules than the Christian rulers, so you can flat out conquer your way to whatever you feel like. Or take holidays raiding for money and prisoners.

I don't know any good 1066 starts since I like the pagan element from the early game.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 22, 2019

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Have there been any mods to expand on Random Worlds? The only one I have is the "Only Animal Kingdoms" mod. I generally run the Suez canal mod for those games so if India does look interesting I'm not completely detached from the world.

W. D. Basterd
Jul 11, 2016
I love this game! Always have, but today it made me make

THIS FACE!!!!!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Huh, it just occurred to me that the new bookmark is only 30 years before Seljuk and Sabuktigin show up and start conquering the poo poo out of Persia. I'm sure there are some cool starts to be had out there, but hoo boy, you'd better strap the gently caress in. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Otherwise, that's some nice and fragmented Islam there. I may go and play some more muslim games with this. I'd probably play in that area more often, but at so many starts they start out too big, and it's a pain to find good vassals at the game start screen (I wish they had the direct vassal mapmode instead of hopping between count/duke/king).

ctrl+left click, just the same as in-game