Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

How is claim formed?

You can plot to forge a claim with some usurpers or have your chancellor "look through the histories" and fabricate a claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Moridin920 posted:

You can plot to forge a claim with some usurpers or have your chancellor "look through the histories" and fabricate a claim.
You conquer 36 provinces and spend 500 gold + 200 prestige to form title

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna play that mod tonight as Littlefinger

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

*Show has a scene which makes it very unambiguous that they are choosing a king by way of an elector system instead of succession based*

*Goons argue about who should have been king based on succession claim*

Me: not sure if they're just arguing an irrelevant point for no reason, or if Season 8 of D&D's masterpiece show was just too intricate and complex for these Medieval Succession Law experts to follow.

this

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Here's a question, does Bran even need advisors? He really just needs bodies to do things.

I guess it's possible that he has no interest in actually ruling and let's others do it, or it's just to make the others feel important.

Also, you shouldn't have a ruler who doesn't want the job. That's stupid.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i ship margaery and bran in my fanfics

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Typo posted:

Except at the end of GoT tv show, no one house holds enough "might" to make "right" and impose the candidate of their choice on the throne, certainly not the Starks

ofc politics is easy when you control all the guns and just impose your will, but the attractive aspects of the show is exactly how to navigate feudal politics when you don't, in which case things like legitimacy and ideology start mattering a lot
That's why the ending was stupid and the kingdoms should have dissolved into seven separate kingdoms. The only redeeming part is that everyone who could resist the lame "might" of the Starks was also decimated.

If the show had a theme, it would have been legitimacy + ideology + morality vs. bloodthirsty conquest. And the bloodthirsty ones won in a massive shutout against the doves until there were only hawks left, who eventually fought until there was only one left, and then Jonniver Cromwell killed the last hawk.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Salsa Stark should marry Robyn and secure the Vale for her children and use her Tully parentage to seize control of the Riverlands.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
One of the spinoffs should be the extended stories of the hound and arya's trip. Just the two bickering and hating each other for a season.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

sugar free jazz posted:

i ship margaery and myself in my fanfics

Enough lineage talk

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Chomp8645 posted:

*Show has a scene which makes it very unambiguous that they are choosing a king by way of an elector system instead of succession based*

*Goons argue about who should have been king based on succession claim*

Me: not sure if they're just arguing an irrelevant point for no reason, or if Season 8 of D&D's masterpiece show was just too intricate and complex for these Medieval Succession Law experts to follow.

We're talking in the framework of Season 1-4 when the show respected itself and its own setting. In that setting (and in the books) every noble *seriously* gave a poo poo about their traditions, from guest protection to royal succession, because those traditions were "the realm" that held everything together.

This show is seriously claiming to be presenting the ending of the books, so show stupidity aside we're just wondering "how" that can be where the books were headed. How in the smarter universe of the books (where everybody presumably can't throw their hands up in the air and say gently caress this show and its rules) could Bran possibly win and that be the ending it was heading towards. How do all the nobles decide that he either has a claim, or that the nobility class as a whole everywhere will suddenly stop caring about rules and traditions.

More to the point, a poster specifically mentioned that they thought "Bran had the best claim" which sparked a lot of puzzled looks. It's just in response to that.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Randarkman posted:

Salsa Stark should marry Robyn and secure the Vale for her children and use her Tully parentage to seize control of the Riverlands.

This is basically the upcoming book plot with Littlefinger setting Sansa up to marry Harry the Heir for control of much of Westeros.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

Me: not sure if they're just arguing an irrelevant point for no reason

it's this one, welcome to GBS

I think at this point half of us are just theorycrafting how we want our CK2 game to go later

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Remember when Brienne was reduced to being hungry for Jamie's dick and all of his character development was instantly undone so he could get crushed by bricks?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This is basically the upcoming book plot with Littlefinger setting Sansa up to marry Harry the Heir for control of much of Westeros.

I mean that's a pretty good plot. In that last episode sweet Robin seemed pretty healthy so Salsa should just marry him. I mean, why not? Wasn't that what her character was supposed to have become? That she's scheming and wants power.

e: Also it was really stupid how the Iron Islands and Dorne at the very least did not immediately also secede when Bran just said "sure, why not" to the North leaving.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it really owns how book LF (at this point Lord Paramount of the Riverlands) sets up Sansa to be Lady of the Vale with a claim to the North and he establishes control in the Vale and then it is heavily implied they are both going to off Robin Arryn when the time is right. Like they're basically going to power move on three whole kingdoms.

Show LF takes her to Winterfell and marries her to Ramsay, known insane person, for literally nothing in return and then she kills him for it. In the meantime there is no one at the Vale so Robin grows up and just rules as expected.

:v:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Randarkman posted:

e: Also it was really stupid how the Iron Islands and Dorne at the very least did not immediately also secede when Bran just said "sure, why not" to the North leaving.

‾\_(ツ)_/‾

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Iron Islands and Dorne were just too tired of these game of thrones* to secede at that point.

*much like the writers

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Randarkman posted:

I mean that's a pretty good plot. In that last episode sweet Robin seemed pretty healthy so Salsa should just marry him. I mean, why not? Wasn't that what her character was supposed to have become? That she's scheming and wants power.

All hail Bran the Broken, King of the Six Kingdoms! I mean king of the five kingdoms! Wait, what? Ok, king of the Four Kingdoms! Apparently the Vale and Riverrun want out too so king of the Three Kingdoms. Ummm, I guess the Lannisters aren't going along with this, so King of the Two Kingdoms. And Gendry Baratheon was just seen pointing and laughing, so King of the... nope the reach is gone too.

All hail Bran the Broken, King of the ruins of King's Landing and Harrenhal, long may he reign!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I have to say I really enjoyed how in Dany's megalomaniac speech that she didn't really think there was much of a difference between liberating people and murdering them. gently caress it, her not dying and just going on a quest to murder-conquer the entire world would have been much better.

Kill everyone now.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I can't take this shot seriously since it looks like those wings spray-painted on walls.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm surprised lovely 2000s numetal didn't kick on when those wings popped out.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

sweet geek swag posted:

All hail Bran the Broken, King of the Six Kingdoms! I mean king of the five kingdoms! Wait, what? Ok, king of the Four Kingdoms! Apparently the Vale and Riverrun want out too so king of the Three Kingdoms. Ummm, I guess the Lannisters aren't going along with this, so King of the Two Kingdoms. And Gendry Baratheon was just seen pointing and laughing, so King of the... nope the reach is gone too.

All hail Bran the Broken, King of the ruins of King's Landing and Harrenhal, long may he reign!

Bran then subsequently hires the Dothrakis as mercenaries to reclaim at least 2-3 of the kingdoms

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Hannibal did that shot but actually good

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

who needs dragons when you can warg into a bunch of crows laden with wildfire, and you're omniscient

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I can't take this shot seriously since it looks like those wings spray-painted on walls.

oh my god you're right jfc

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
drogon is really big except when he needs to be reaaalllyy slim

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

That was the most groan inducing John woo shot I have ever seen.

Disgusting.

The rat symbolizes obviousness.gif

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Randarkman posted:

those two nations have been through the poo poo recently and Iron Islands at least ended up with a peacemaker ruler. northerners came out on top & throughout the show have had a retarded hard on for seceding (instead of say, backing rightful king mannis).

much like the real brexit only one realm is stupid enough :eng101:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

in turns out that in the end, england won

god bless and goodnight

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I've watched the final three times and (shut the gently caress up) and I'm getting less and less okay with it,

Jon being Aegon should've been the central discussion at that stupid council. Let him abdicate if he wants after that whatever

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Actually I'm realizing I've only watched it 1.5 times, skipping past a lot of dumb poo poo

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Every time I see a post from the 60s van magazine thread I’m like hell yeAh that’s sick

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All in all, Robert might have bankrupted the continent and been little more than a pawn for his advisors, but he was the least bad king in the last thirty years.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Arcsquad12 posted:

All in all, Robert might have bankrupted the continent and been little more than a pawn for his advisors, but he was the least bad king in the last thirty years.

i thought i was in the star citizen thread and misread this as being about croberts

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

deported to Canada posted:

Bran was going to be king cause it said so in the script. The same script Bran read so he knew he had to go down to kings landing to be made king. He even comments about it in the episode. This isn't complicated.

:hmmyes:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Thranguy posted:

Cersei's claim, after Tommen died, is pretty much nonexistent, based strictly on force. So there's a case that she represents another dynastic shift, and if so Tyrion gets a claim to that line, so I guess it makes sense that he got the chance to turn it down.

All the family trees going back a ton of generations are available somewhere in the supplementary materials, and one thing they show is that the Lannister siblings are Robert’s closest living relatives at the time of Tommen’s death. Tyrion can’t inherit since he was found guilty of Joffrey’s murder, and is a kinslayer even if anyone bothered to pass on Olenna’s confession. Jaime is Robert’s legitimate heir, but Cersei would be if they hadn’t fired him from the Kingsguard. I’m sure someone who cares enough has already gone through the materials and found out who Robert’s legitimate heir would be after the death of the Lannister twins, and it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that it actually is Bran.

I mean, ignoring the whole part where Gendry is legitimized as a Baratheon and recognized as such after Dany’s death.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah it really owns how book LF (at this point Lord Paramount of the Riverlands) sets up Sansa to be Lady of the Vale with a claim to the North and he establishes control in the Vale and then it is heavily implied they are both going to off Robin Arryn when the time is right. Like they're basically going to power move on three whole kingdoms.

Show LF takes her to Winterfell and marries her to Ramsay, known insane person, for literally nothing in return and then she kills him for it. In the meantime there is no one at the Vale so Robin grows up and just rules as expected.

:v:

Book version would have been interesting and it's too bad LF became - as with Tyrion and Varys - very bad and dumb and he was a pretty good villain you like to hate .

Always thought the Ramsay move was utterly crazy because he wanted Sansa on his side and that was a sure fire way to make 100% certain that would not work.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 23, 2019

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Book version would have been interesting and it's too bad LF became - as with Tyrion and Varys - very bad and dumb since he was a pretty good villain you like to hate .

Always thought the Ramsay move was utterly crazy because he wanted Sansa on his side and that was a sure fire way to make 100% certain that would not work.

That has always bothered me. The only explination is that he thought Ramsey would think her too valuable to harm. But even that seems a misread of ramsey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't really buy the idea that Jon would have lost his claim because of queenslaying or kinslaying. He had the superior claim to start with, so it doesn't matter what he did to her, because she was a rebel against his lawful authority. Obviously she wouldn't see it that way, and there's the small matter of him having sworn fealty to her, but hey she just burned down a loving city, so if the Unsullied hadn't been there to force the issue, the other lords wouldn't have given a poo poo. Targaryens got a pass on kinfucking, so people could probably overlook the kinslaying thing too, especially since there's precedent for Targs killing each other in a succession battle.