Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's true.

Bangkok could've really used a roof bridge between two buildings and Colorado could've used an underground level maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I didn't appreciate Colorado until I SASO'ed it on both difficulties because you just feel badass popping in and out of places to off 4 paramilitaries. The biggest faults in Colorado are having to exit from the bunker every time and not being able to disguise yourself as the Mike Meyers guy after killing him.

Maps like Marrakesh or Colombia aren't great because they have a huge dead zone separating highly fortified areas. And the dead zones are civilian population centers that would be rife for lots of cool assassinations but you can't get the targets in that space (although Colombia is a little better about that than Marrakesh). Bangkok is kinda similar in that the targets basically never get near each other (except for a notable exception) and tbh hotel missions just get boring to me. Lots of copy-pasted rooms and samey environments. This is also why I'm not a huge fan of Whittleton Creek even if it has a bit more variety.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

where the red fern gropes posted:

i think one of the hitman devs once mentioned 'porousness' which is basically how many holes there are in the walls that you can sneak through. for example, hokkaido is very porous unless you're trying to get from the resort into the hospital - compare that to trying to get anywhere else in the map. bangkok has almost no porousness; getting to the top floor of jordan's studio basically involves using the single available pipe, and then climbing one of two sets of stairs. colorado has no porousness because the entire map is just open

good maps have porousness, bad maps don't

This is a huge part of what my brain recognizes as a goodmap.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can't disguise yourself as the guy with the mask because his only distinctive features are the mask and having hair, and everyone in the camp knows him. maybe if the mask was secretly a mask/wig combo, but 47 never wears wigs.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

47 never wears wigs.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
In addition to the clown getup, which really isn't "on-site procured", he'll wear a wig if the disguise also has a wig. E.g. Hospital director.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm curious about hitman blood money. How does it compare to the modern hitman in terms of no kills, opportunity kills/puzzles, etc.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The biggest faults in Colorado are having to exit from the bunker every time

Fortunately, they changed that earlier this year. Once you've used the basement once, you can use other exits in the future.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You can finally run around Colorado without always thinking "I need to use the basement!"

The constantly broken sniping does take away from it though.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

double nine posted:

I'm curious about hitman blood money. How does it compare to the modern hitman in terms of no kills, opportunity kills/puzzles, etc.

Prior to these last two games, it was the best of the series. It's basically the newest games, writ small. With the exception of a railroaded (and pretty racist) tutorial, the levels are open-ended and have different accident and sneak kills. It had a fun dynamic where your kill would be described in a newspaper after each level, and you'd make money based on how close to Silent Assassin you got that you would spend on upgrades.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

It had a fun dynamic where your kill would be described in a newspaper after each level, and you'd make money based on how close to Silent Assassin you got that you would spend on upgrades.

I honestly think HITMAN 2019 would be improved with both of these features

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The actual upgrade system in Blood Money was totally pointless. It had like half a dozen items that were useful that you could buy and the rest was just different gun upgrades for the game where guns don't matter.

The newspaper thing was pretty nifty though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I would enjoy some in-game acknowledgement when I murder like two hundred people

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

double nine posted:

Blood Money had severe development issues, and it shows. The quality and detail of levels varies wildly. Mechanically, it's significantly better than its predecessors in most ways and still much worse than HITMAN 2016. It's also infamously easy to snap over your knee through a range of mechanical exploits, particularly involving coins (which you get an infinite number of). A handful of levels are genuinely sort of open, but all of them have weird one-off mechanical or scripting limitations that are often very poorly conveyed, which adds to the sense of jank. The upgrade system and newspaper mechanics are similarly half-baked. Notably, several systems in Blood Money would be further developed in Absolution, then cut from the series because they revolved around and incentivized loud combat gameplay.

The plot's warmed over nonsense that the series is eager to forget, partly a casualty of the screwy development. It dips into many of the same themes that are getting reused in HITMAN season 2, with Secret Shadow Societies and weird character parallelism with Diana.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 22, 2019

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

once you realise you can SASO colorado without leaving the farmhouse it becomes pretty good

bangkok is just dull and there's only 1 or 2 viable exits

How do you do that? I haven't figured out how to even get into the house in a suit on Master yet.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Dabir posted:

How do you do that? I haven't figured out how to even get into the house in a suit on Master yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywvVw-JHs2E&t=63s

2016 version but the theory is basically the same

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Prior to these last two games, it was the best of the series. It's basically the newest games, writ small. With the exception of a railroaded (and pretty racist) tutorial, the levels are open-ended and have different accident and sneak kills. It had a fun dynamic where your kill would be described in a newspaper after each level, and you'd make money based on how close to Silent Assassin you got that you would spend on upgrades.

Yeah I really miss the newspaper endings of Blood Money.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jack Trades posted:

The newspaper thing was pretty nifty though.

I always hoped they would update this with a Twitter clone featuring commentary from whichever unique NPCs are in a given level.

@TheRealFloridaMan posted:

I won't stand for this witch hunt by the FDA! Robert Knox was NOT poisoned by one of my delicious coconut balls! My stand wasn't even open during the race! Typical Big Government nonsense! MAGA!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Discendo Vox posted:

The plot's warmed over nonsense that the series is eager to forget, partly a casualty of the screwy development. It dips into many of the same themes that are getting reused in HITMAN season 2, with Secret Shadow Societies and weird character parallelism with Diana.

Yeah the overarching plot of Hitman is now and always has been the worst part of the game. Agent 47 is the most uninteresting human being in the universe by design. He has no friends, no personality, no interests, no history, no desires, no fears; he exists entirely to be a video game protagonist, and why the writers continue to act like delving into his ToRtUrEd PaSt is a good idea is beyond me.

Agent 47 is hilarious as a straight man doing the dumbest stuff with an unflappable serious expression on his face, as if wearing this chicken suit and collecting 13 tomatoes was part of his master plan he came up with back at the safe house, instead of just the player doing dumb stuff as it comes up. He's great as a giant bald barcode-tattooed goon who is also somehow unnoticable, but he's at best a comedy prop, not a person, and while I love Hitman 2016 and its sequel's gameplay to death, I was really hoping they would have a big ol' global power play plot suitable for the series' James Bond-style setting instead of dwelling yet again on 47's stupid boring past.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The best Hitman plot was in the original Hitman 2.

47: Maybe instead of being a Hitman I can be a Christian?

*hours later*

47: No.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

An entire game of 47 learning random seemingly meaningless skills to use in murders somehow later.

Level 4: Extreme Couponing

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Level 5: reading and internalizing the entire 27 published volumes of a trashy but popular young adult novel series just in case that you need to take a hit contract on its author and choose to pose as a big fan in an improbable costume during an interview to get close to the mark

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Level 6: Harp Maintenance

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
gently caress you guys, none of these are meaningless!

:mad:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Discendo Vox posted:

Blood Money had severe development issues, and it shows. The quality and detail of levels varies wildly. Mechanically, it's significantly better than its predecessors in most ways and still much worse than HITMAN 2016. It's also infamously easy to snap over your knee through a range of mechanical exploits, particularly involving coins (which you get an infinite number of). A handful of levels are genuinely sort of open, but all of them have weird one-off mechanical or scripting limitations that are often very poorly conveyed, which adds to the sense of jank. The upgrade system and newspaper mechanics are similarly half-baked. Notably, several systems in Blood Money would be further developed in Absolution, then cut from the series because they revolved around and incentivized loud combat gameplay.

You can't discuss the coin without posting this timeless classic.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

muffin pack tomorrow

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
From the live stream this morning

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm excited as hell, but my harddrive weeps. :v:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

They're also releasing the new missions in Mumbai and Columbia that day so you may as well buy a new hard drive now to get ready

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I started playing Hitman 2 and Colombia was exhausting. I also missed SA somehow, although the indicator turned green when I deleted the camera footage (weirdly, it stayed red when I reloaded a savegame right after deleting the footage).

And after, I realized I didn't go to the coca fields at all.

Moon Shrimp
Sep 7, 2013
I dropped one of the explosive bottles after killing sean bean :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

elf help book posted:

From the live stream this morning

gently caress. yes. :hellyeah:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Moon Shrimp posted:

I dropped one of the explosive bottles after killing sean bean :cripes:

oh my god I did the same thing

I picked one up from the closet next to the engineering lab, went "eh, I don't need this, and I need to get out of here", so I dropped it and suddenly I was dead. I didn't know the bottles exploded on dropping them so until this post I had no idea what killed me

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In the normal map you can get one of those bottles in the small garage area on the bottom floor of that building. I highly suggest finding it, and promptly throwing it at the two chatting guys in that room.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Do you guys habitually drop poo poo you don't need instead of just hoarding coconuts and soda cans and screwdrivers?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Do you guys habitually drop poo poo you don't need instead of just hoarding coconuts and soda cans and screwdrivers?

No? What if I need all those 12 screwdrivers for some reason?! You never know.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Marakech SASO, full brick run

Moon Shrimp
Sep 7, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nah, in this case I couldn't remember if I was going to be frisked or not so I wanted to get rid of anything suspicious just in case. I'm not even sure if the bottles are detected, I just dropped them before even looking closer.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
47 has a massive hoarding problem and I intend to enable him every step of the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

sometimes, after completing a mission, I'll leave a trail from the last kill to the exit; let the cops trip over a mysterious trail of coins, hammers, coconuts, flowers, rat poison, cleavers, ...