Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ships in the reserve get a bit of a penalty to crew quality IIRC, but it's not huge and tbh our crew training is not our strong point right now anyways. If a war comes out of nowhere it'll be awkward to have most of our fleet in the reserve and take a bit to bring them back up to full fighting shape, but wars really don't just come out of nowhere you can see tensions rising ahead of time and get them out before the shooting starts. With low tensions across the board, crap ships, and low money, we can totally get away with putting most of the fleet into the reserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Splode posted:

Game owners, is there any reason we can't/shouldn't reserve the entire fleet? There must be, right?

Not unless you really expect a war to break out any second or need it for colonial duties (we don't as we have no colonies). Shop experience in reserve will degree over time to 'fair' as opposed to 'bad' for mothballed but unless they are experienced combat veterans most ships won't be better than "fair" anyway.

Ships come instantly out of reserve or mothballs so there is no delay having them if tensions rise.

In peacetime I put the older half of my fleet in mothballs and the rest in reserve. This frees up money to build newer (and much better) ships. The game budgeting design relies on you doing this so if we don't we will literally never be able to afford newer ships.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 22, 2019

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.
Many of the DD names are russian names for inappropriate behaviour in the spirit of the cultures naming of their warships (delinquent, gangster-class etc.)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ikonoklast posted:

Many of the DD names are russian names for inappropriate behaviour in the spirit of the cultures naming of their warships (delinquent, gangster-class etc.)

Also a bunch of "tough(?) adjectives", like British Battle cruisers --- we got Brave and Unruly already..

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Solzhenitsyn didn't get famous until like the 60s so I don't think he should be on a list of writers' names. I replaced him with Chernyshevsky who's more period-appropriate.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

vyelkin posted:

Solzhenitsyn didn't get famous until like the 60s so I don't think he should be on a list of writers' names. I replaced him with Chernyshevsky who's more period-appropriate.

Works for me! I was just proud of being able to spell his name right on the first try.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I can only wonder what an actual Russian would think, reading this namelist.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

In the most hotly contested contest, Leperflesh will be running our Bureau of Ordinance.

Thank you to everyone who voted for me. I will try not to let you down.

Saros, I hereby unilaterally and without consulting you, appoint you my second in command. In any event in which Grey Hunter is waiting too long for a decision from me, you may step in and make the decision in the name of expedience, with the understanding that I may subsequently comprehensively contradict you. I will leave the definition of "too long" to Grey Hunter's judgement.

quote:

You main job now is to set the priorities for research - remember, if everything is high, nothing is high.

What are the possible settings? Low/Medium/High? Is there an "off" or a "maximum"?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Boksi posted:

I can only wonder what an actual Russian would think, reading this namelist.

That it's awful except for the fleet carriers, and that those are clearly missing Lermontov?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

OddObserver posted:

That it's awful except for the fleet carriers, and that those are clearly missing Lermontov?

Not anymore!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I added a few dumb names to the list. Not sure how accurate google translate is. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 22, 2019

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

What are the possible settings? Low/Medium/High? Is there an "off" or a "maximum"?

It's Low/Medium/High, yeah

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also you guys are naming a lot of ships after 20th century composers who nobody's heard of yet in 1900.
Rasputin is still some country bumpkin mystic/monk in 1900 too, he doesn't travel to St. Petersburg until ~1903 or 4, and meets the Tsar in November 1905.

I decided we needed a bunch of CVLs named after russian vodka brands, and corvettes named after russian dishes/recipes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Also you guys are naming a lot of ships after 20th century composers who nobody's heard of yet in 1900.
Rasputin is still some country bumpkin mystic/monk in 1900 too, he doesn't travel to St. Petersburg until ~1903 or 4, and meets the Tsar in November 1905.

I decided we needed a bunch of CVLs named after russian vodka brands, and corvettes named after russian dishes/recipes.

tbf at least Rasputin is apparently a CV name, it'll be a couple decades before any of those exist.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

OddObserver posted:

That it's awful except for the fleet carriers
Lovely. I'm behind most of the destroyers ending in -iy as well as a bunch of other ship names.

Maybe once we've finished adding all our stupid ideas, you could go in and reorganize it a bit, so that there's some actual themes going on? I don't think most people would object to their names being moved around so long as they're still in there, and there's basically no theming at all to the cruisers or CVLs.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

vyelkin posted:

tbf at least Rasputin is apparently a CV name, it'll be a couple decades before any of those exist.

It's hard to imagine Rasputin and Maxim Gorkiy being used as CV names by the same people. (And while I would love to have a raider CL named Benya Krik, I can't imagine anyone actually naming a CL that).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Boksi posted:

Maybe once we've finished adding all our stupid ideas, you could go in and reorganize it a bit, so that there's some actual themes going on? I don't think most people would object to their names being moved around so long as they're still in there, and there's basically no theming at all to the cruisers or CVLs.
I put thought into what type I put the names under. :smith:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Rasputin gets a Soviet carrier named after him because scamming the hell out of royalty is praxis, obviously

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Poil posted:

I put thought into what type I put the names under. :smith:
Well if they're already themed there's little reason to move them. I was mostly thinking about the unthemed mess that is the cruisers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

***PRIORITETY ISSLEDOVANIYE 1 JAN 1900 ST PETERSBURG***
BY ORDER VASHE IMPERATORSKOYE VELICHESTVO NICHOLAS II
pre:
Research Area				Last research		Priority	Levels
Machinery development			Basic			Low		0
Armour development			Basic			Medium		0
Fire control				Basic			Low		0
Subdivision and damage control		Basic			Medium		0
Turrets and gun mountings		Basic			Medium		0
Ship design				Basic			Low		0
AP Projectiles				Basic			High		0
Light forces and torpedo warfare	Basic			High		0
Torpedo technology			Basic			High		0
Submarines				Basic			High		0
Explosive shells			Basic			Medium		0
Naval guns				12 inch guns		Low
THE TSAR DESIRES TORPEDOES AND SUBMARINES STOP
ALSO TO DEFEAT THE ARMOUR OF RUSSIA'S FOES STOP

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 22, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OddObserver posted:

It's hard to imagine Rasputin and Maxim Gorkiy being used as CV names by the same people. (And while I would love to have a raider CL named Benya Krik, I can't imagine anyone actually naming a CL that).

Absolutely, but on the other hand I can't imagine anyone naming a destroyer P'ianii Nemetskii Shpion, so I feel like a little inconsistency is the least of our worries.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I put the names for the post-romantic composers figuring that we'll be using the names list for a while.

Now I need to come up with a submarine name theme.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
We also don't have any battlecruiser names.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe we could make a themed fleet or two instead of shuffling around the names.

vyelkin posted:

Absolutely, but on the other hand I can't imagine anyone naming a destroyer P'ianii Nemetskii Shpion, so I feel like a little inconsistency is the least of our worries.
Are you dissing the clever name to trick our enemies? :v:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Thank you to everyone who voted for me. I will try not to let you down.

Saros, I hereby unilaterally and without consulting you, appoint you my second in command. In any event in which Grey Hunter is waiting too long for a decision from me, you may step in and make the decision in the name of expedience, with the understanding that I may subsequently comprehensively contradict you. I will leave the definition of "too long" to Grey Hunter's judgement.

It's High/Low/Medium

But it's priority based, and all drawing from the same pool, so if everything is at high nothing is on high.

In order to have high be meaningful you need things on low

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Leperflesh posted:

It should be YEGO IMPYERATORSKOGO VYELICHYESTVA (NIKOLAYA II [VTOROGO]).

Also I have no clue what you've done with the letters in the banner, they don't make much sense.

Also whoever put Krepost Tokiiskogo Zaliva in the ship names list is my personal hero

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Nice to see some reorganization going on in the name list. Shouldn't Gangut be put in with the battle-class?

Also we'll probably have a lot of submarines, so rather than naming them individually, we might want to use them as class names. So instead of laying down Krasniy Oktyabr, we lay down Krasniy Oktyabr-1 through 8 or something like that.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Leperflesh posted:

Yaay!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm plumping for different types of ship to have naming themes. Two things Russia has a lot of in their history are great writers and great composers. So the BB list now has names like Tchiakovsky and Mussorgsky and the CV list has names like Tolstoi and Chekov. I'm considering also making all the DDs the nicknames of characters from War and Peace, so stop me before all our destroyers are named Kolya, Kolenka, Nikolenka... (and that's just for Nikolai Rostov!)

I vote for Pussy Riot

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

pre:

Oh man.

This is an auspicious start.

You've set everything that "should" be high at low

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Infidelicious posted:

Oh man.

This is an auspicious start.

You've set everything that "should" be high at low

Re: Spoilers - Clearly this is propaganda from the borgoius in France! If they were meant to be high, then BUORD Leperfish would have set them high.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Silence! The nobles demand submarines, and subs we shall have!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

That is... Some remarkable choices in tech that are going to solidly ruin any ability to build decent ships, this could be quite funny.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We don’t even have the tech for subs yet

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm looking forward to building our first dreadnought after the pity timer expires and you get the 'you know you can put more guns on these things, look at what the British are doing' tech.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I propose the 'antidreadnought'. No primary battery, just a /huge/ pile of mixed-caliber secondary and tertiary batteries. It drives straight for the enemy, closing to short range and chewing away the superstructure with rapid-fire guns, leaving them afloat but drifting hulks.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

I propose the 'antidreadnought'. No primary battery, just a /huge/ pile of mixed-caliber secondary and tertiary batteries. It drives straight for the enemy, closing to short range and chewing away the superstructure with rapid-fire guns, leaving them afloat but drifting hulks.

You need primary battery, it can be like 1" bigger than secondary though.

This is buildable with current tech, though has a 12x7" 9x6" 12x4" broadside.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 23, 2019

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

uPen posted:

I'm looking forward to building our first dreadnought after the pity timer expires and you get the 'you know you can put more guns on these things, look at what the British are doing' tech.

Brilliant! We let the British do all the hard work of designing dreadnoughts, and then just copy them! Meanwhile, our own engineers and scientists focus on other areas, like submarines! This is a flawless strategy except for the bit where our ships will be well behind our opponents because design and building takes time.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Leperflesh posted:

pre:

Jeune Écoleor bust, huh?

I mean, going all on on a super-powerful force of destroyers with literal tons of torpedoes is totally a valid strategy ... but we'd better hope we don't get into any wars until 1910 or so, since tin fish are pretty mediocre until that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tevery Best posted:

It should be YEGO IMPYERATORSKOGO VYELICHYESTVA (NIKOLAYA II [VTOROGO]).

Also I have no clue what you've done with the letters in the banner, they don't make much sense.

Also whoever put Krepost Tokiiskogo Zaliva in the ship names list is my personal hero

The banner is the anglicized spelling "BYURO BOYEPRIPASOV" rendered in the free online font "Kremlin Starets"
The rest is whatever I managed to get out of google translate

as for my priorities, if you guys wanted a BuORD chief who actually owned the game, you picked the wrong guy. You are gonna get priorities based on how I roleplay this position.