Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mikerock posted:

Your bird is totally adorable.

Also thank you for not getting defensive about our concerns! A lot of bird owners will go bat poo poo insane at any perceived criticism of their care habits. Part of why I like this group is that we're mostly completely drama free, and we are willing to talk to each other like adults - except when we talk about our birds then it's all baby chat and kissy noises.

Seconding both parts :) If my story about nearly losing Pookie came off anyway hectoring or hypercritical, that absolutely wasn't my intent. It's more that I was pretty easygoing and casual about the possibility of anything bad happening, until almost did and it was a horrible horrible few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

we have a little area by the window set up for terra where her cage and her spring perch is and she's decided lately that she's a bat, which I think means she's claiming her nest which is supposed to be intimidating but just look at her she's so cute and also I don't want your lovely house terra I have my own

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Faerie Fortune posted:

we have a little area by the window set up for terra where her cage and her spring perch is and she's decided lately that she's a bat, which I think means she's claiming her nest which is supposed to be intimidating but just look at her she's so cute and also I don't want your lovely house terra I have my own

RAWR I AM SO BIG AND SCARY

*waves wings like a Vegas showgirl*

:3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love every bird in this thread so much :kimchi:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Faerie Fortune posted:

and also I don't want your lovely house terra I have my own
I sincerely can't decide if I find those photos or this sentence funnier.

also:

StrixNebulosa posted:

From reading this thread - I'm back in page 60-70 and use it to make my day way more cheerful - do not let you bird outside, there's an absolutely devastating page where two different goons lose their birds outside, and then a page later LAB's bird dies and I can't take that kind of heartbreak again :(
Yeah, that was a rough period of time for birdthread :saddowns:

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I always worry when I come back to the bird thread and there's lots of new posts.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I sincerely can't decide if I find those photos or this sentence funnier.

terra is a very funny bird, she's still a baby and she has so much personality already, I love just watching her do stuff, including showing off her lovely house

EDIT: so remember those conuresaur magnets I posted a couple weeks ago? I ordered a cockatoo lovers set from the same store as well as a tiel magnet (cinnamon because they didn't have any lutinos) and not only did they arrive being even more adorable than I thought they were but the store owner gave me a free black cockatoo magnet as a special surprise! As well as this, qwertee had a bananatiel t-shirt a few weeks ago that I just had to get and that arrived today too! it's a good day for good things, which I really needed after the stressful few days I had

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 22, 2019

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
So, its that time finally.

Off to the thrift store to get bird shirts cos SOMEBIRDY (or two) chewed so many holes in the ones I have I can't wear them anymore. I've heard of it being called birdy lace, and I can totally see why :(

I'm actually considering saving the old ones and making shoulder pads to try to reinforce the shoulders to keep the new ones a little longer from the creatures. I tend to use old shirts so my nicer clothes don't get destroyed.

Any ideas? What do you guys use?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I've heard of people making a sort of shawl/mantle/short cape to just wear over whatever clothes they happen to be wearing. Makes sense. Just put on your bird mantle, let it poo poo and chew to its hearts content, throw it in the wash when you want, don't have to change shirts, keeps your existing (presumably good) shirts intact.

Lmao I just tried google searching to prove I'm not crazy. Image search provided some gold. Both not what I was thinking of but...

I was actually looking for something like this, but more substantial and functional, less decorative

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 22, 2019

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I have this (without the yellow body harness). It's amazing, Charlie LOVES it, and he screeches at hawks from the safety of his impenetrable shoulder fortress.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

It's like a shoulder-mounted bird launcher missile pod.

So without the shoulder harness how does it stay on your body?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
so we need some sort of antibirdantimacassar?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/CXh7F4v.mp4
Sound: https://imgur.com/gallery/67slAXg

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

It's like a shoulder-mounted bird launcher missile pod.

So without the shoulder harness how does it stay on your body?

It's got smaller straps that attach to that shoulder pad under the whole thing, which itself is zipped to the bottom of the carrier. One goes under the arm and one around the back and under the other.

Sometimes in my running internal dialogue I imagine I'm a battlemech and he's my angry little green pilot.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 22, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra does the upside bat wing flap at night. Because shadows are worth scaring off. :stare:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

You can also enable sound on these by right-clicking the video and selecting show controls, then unmuting.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nolpkcOUQVM

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 22, 2019

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Karma Comedian posted:

I have this (without the yellow body harness). It's amazing, Charlie LOVES it, and he screeches at hawks from the safety of his impenetrable shoulder fortress.

Where can one purchase such a thing?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If Hitman 2016 is anything to go by, your bird is a highly trained assassin and should not be allowed near rubber ducks.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

subpar anachronism posted:

Where can one purchase such a thing?

I bought mine on Facebook marketplace but here is the manufacturers website: https://www.celltei.com

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Karma Comedian posted:

It's got smaller straps that attach to that shoulder pad under the whole thing, which itself is zipped to the bottom of the carrier. One goes under the arm and one around the back and under the other.

Sometimes in my running internal dialogue I imagine I'm a battlemech and he's my angry little green pilot.

REACTOR ONLINE
SENSORS ONLINE
MILLET ONLINE

ALL SYSTEMS NOM

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 23, 2019

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

This talk about bird poop mantles and needing to get my sewing machine out for other poo poo gave me a project.

I'M HELPING!

Success?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Just gonna throw it out there that birds can be potty trained with clicker training methods and/or positive reinforcement!

Ritz hasn't pooped somewhere other than his cage (or carrier in the car) in like 7 years. If he's out and has to poop he flies back to his cage to do it, then back to what he was doing previously. Or if he's with us he'll hold it until he gets back to his cage.

One of the perks of having a flighted bird I guess, but that's a while other :can:

e: is Pinto a yellow Chevron?

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 23, 2019

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

This talk about bird poop mantles and needing to get my sewing machine out for other poo poo gave me a project.

I'M HELPING!

Success?

What a pretty bird! What species is it?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mikerock posted:

What a pretty bird! What species is it?

it's the cute kind

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Just gonna throw it out there that birds can be potty trained with clicker training methods and/or positive reinforcement!

Ritz hasn't pooped somewhere other than his cage (or carrier in the car) in like 7 years. If he's out and has to poop he flies back to his cage to do it, then back to what he was doing previously. Or if he's with us he'll hold it until he gets back to his cage.

One of the perks of having a flighted bird I guess, but that's a while other :can:

e: is Pinto a yellow Chevron?

Very close! Yellow Chevrons are Brotogeris Chiriri, Pinto is a Brote Versicolurus, or White Winged Parakeet.

Maybe one day we'll get to a point where Pinto can poop in a designated shitspot, but for now, we got the shitmantle

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'M HELPING!

Success?

Holy poo poo it took until this post for me to realise none of you were talking about clothes on birds, despite the fact that it was super weird for everyone to suddenly be matter-of-factly talking about the clothes their birds wear.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra is about 80% poop trained. I just make her stay ontop of her cage, ask her to, "go poop", and make a big to do when she does.

Also, when she is eggy, she takes massive horrifying shits. Horrifying. :stare:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Organza Quiz posted:

Holy poo poo it took until this post for me to realise none of you were talking about clothes on birds, despite the fact that it was super weird for everyone to suddenly be matter-of-factly talking about the clothes their birds wear.

:laffo:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I was visiting Scout today and there are a pair of rescued Amazons up for adoption. One of them liked licking my fingers like a little creep.

The Scout visit was good, she was more active and demanding scritches. Maneuvering my finger into the right spot with her head. She was given another reprieve from the cone of shame today and she was pretty good about not biting at her leg bandage, although I had to redirect her beak a couple of times. She's slowly getting better, but still needs more time with the vet!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mikerock posted:

I was visiting Scout today and there are a pair of rescued Amazons up for adoption. One of them liked licking my fingers like a little creep.

The Scout visit was good, she was more active and demanding scritches. Maneuvering my finger into the right spot with her head. She was given another reprieve from the cone of shame today and she was pretty good about not biting at her leg bandage, although I had to redirect her beak a couple of times. She's slowly getting better, but still needs more time with the vet!

That’s so stinking awesome. I’m literally beyond thrilled that things are improving. :)

I showed my pops the bird blouse picture and he immediately said, “Cool shirt.”

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

Bird diaper... no, that would NOT work.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

nielsm posted:

Bird diaper... no, that would NOT work.

The true bird crazies already have them up on Amazon.

Why did I Google that

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

lol yeah its for me to wear not them!!

Mine are semi poo trained. If I am at my desk in their room on the computer.... they will usually be on or around me and mostly go on a paper on my desk when they are with me there. I didn't train them intentionally....they just seemed to know that the tissue was for poos and that's where they go ONLY when I am at my desk. Otherwise, it's a poo party all over :( They tend to stay in a few areas tho mostly, so I have towels/trash bins under the popular perches that are outside the cages to catch most of it.

They are pretty good about morning poos in the sink. They wait till I get them out and then they both poo in the sink, we all cheer and say "YAY", and then get weighed and have breakfast.

The whole thing about the bird guard outfit isn't really in regards to poo....its the fact that both of them live to chew up my shirts :( The shoulders are almost totally gone on several of my old shirts...that's why I was seeing what others do to protect their clothes from the flying woodchippers. I've tried the mantles in the past, but they both try to go IN my shirt and do the spelunking thing, and they are very gentle about that. It's just on shoulders for some reason are the prime points for chewing/beak wiping etc and they get ruined so fast.

I think I am just going to go to the local thrift store and see if I can find some more shirts, and reinforce them on the shoulders to try to get them to last longer.

Someone did recommend bird toys attached to the shirt or on a necklace to distract them, but it doesn't seem to work well. I'll keep trying tho....I have a few bird toys with chewies on them that I wear like a necklace to keep them busy, but it doesn't seem to be real effective.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

Very close! Yellow Chevrons are Brotogeris Chiriri, Pinto is a Brote Versicolurus, or White Winged Parakeet.

Maybe one day we'll get to a point where Pinto can poop in a designated shitspot, but for now, we got the shitmantle

Awesome! Never known someone to keep one as a pet, here in LA there's about a billion wild yellow chevroned 'keets that live in the palm trees and they're so cute :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mikerock posted:

Good bird Scout!!!

Actually, speaking of good birds, I figured out that's the new phrase Ama's been trying out on me. "You're a good bird!" I finally recognized it and said it back to him and he was so frickin happy that it finally penetrated my thick human skull rofl

Disco Salmon posted:

They wait till I get them out and then they both poo in the sink, we all cheer and say "YAY"
bird owner life :laffo:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Today Ozzy is highly offended by the existence of Sera. There has been a lot of screaming and a bit of tail pulling, and we've settled into this:

This is basically the only place in the apartment I can't get them down from, because there's furniture underneath in the way. Pretty sure they know that. Assholes.

(And yet, if I took Sera out of sight into the next room, Ozzy would have a complete meltdown. Go fig.)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Terra is in full horny girl mode and i can't decide if it's horrifying or adorable. Currently she's sitting on a perch, wearing a bell as a hat and squeaking at the outdoors. When she's not doing that, she's sitting at the bottom of her cage with her butt pressed against the edge so her tail feathers poke through the bars of the cage.

It's very cute but is there anything I can do to make it less awful for her? I don't want her laying any eggs because she's far too young for that but if she's already started to make some then there's not a lot I can do about it except make it as easy for her as I can, I'm stocked up with spinach and extra cuttlebones so other than extra calcium what else can I do?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Faerie Fortune posted:

Terra is in full horny girl mode and i can't decide if it's horrifying or adorable. Currently she's sitting on a perch, wearing a bell as a hat and squeaking at the outdoors. When she's not doing that, she's sitting at the bottom of her cage with her butt pressed against the edge so her tail feathers poke through the bars of the cage.

It's very cute but is there anything I can do to make it less awful for her? I don't want her laying any eggs because she's far too young for that but if she's already started to make some then there's not a lot I can do about it except make it as easy for her as I can, I'm stocked up with spinach and extra cuttlebones so other than extra calcium what else can I do?

Hooo boy, welcome to life with a young cockatiel.

When I find Serra getting nesty, I put an overturned coffee mug on the nest spot to make her stop. She currently has three overturned coffee mugs in her cage, and started nesting under her food bowl. She’s up to three eggs this go round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Faerie Fortune posted:

A few things to try:
Reduce daylight hours (12-14 hours of darkness)
More baths
Rearrange cage
Less fatty treats
No petting below the neck
Ignore flirty behavior toward you.

It is possible to pre-empt nesty behavior... I mostly do it because my conure is gross and mean in the spring. Side benefit is that my cockatiel has never laid an egg- she's 12.