Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lambert posted:

Microsoft should switch to a yearly release cadence; two releases a year that are both buggy as hell really isn't great for anyone.

But how are they going to keep up with Linux?!

Honestly, twice a year is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. Like, I think back to where Microsoft had to update the scheduler to play nicer with brand-new Ryzen poo poo. Imagine having to wait over a year for major changes like that to show up.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lambert posted:

Microsoft should switch to a yearly release cadence; two releases a year that are both buggy as hell really isn't great for anyone.
I think Ubuntu's schedule is pretty good. They release a stable version every six months or so which is supported up to three months after the next version comes out, then every fourth one of those releases is focused on stability and becomes a long term support edition which gets nothing but security updates and the occasional point release to support new hardware.

It almost seemed like that's what they were trying to emulate with Windows 10, just doing it badly, but at this point I have no idea if they even have a plan.

I think if they implemented the same strategy correctly a lot of people would be very happy with it, but the LTS branch definitely needs to be available to everybody.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I installed whatever cumulative update too effect after 1903 was installed. Thats much better, cured most of the weird crap. One thing, I use the remote desktop client in the Store and it started disconnecting randomly (connecting to a 1803 computer). I downloaded the RDP Preview app from the store and it seems to work fine.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I installed the new windows on my spare laptop and it worked fine. Then I found out the new terminal and WSL stuff is in a separate preview thing for next month so this is a lot less interesting.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So i've just been setting up a new installation of windows 10 on a computer stick. It has one USB3 port directly on the stick and another 2 on the wall plug it's connected to via USBC.

I had 2 WD mypassport external drives connected fine to the socked USBs for the last 24 hours, but i've just had to go through some cable management and now when i plug the drives in, they repeatedly connect and disconnect.

I've had this same problem on my other rig upstairs but wasn't able to solve it and windows just popped up with a low power error message. I had a search for that and tweaked the USB power saving option to off but it's not made a difference.

Is there a known fix for this? As it's a computer stick the drives are pretty much integral to the setup.

Edit: though i'm also getting this issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10device-manager-keeps-refreshing/85be52ef-414f-4a3e-8a62-d30ee74d6575

So i think something else must be up due to me unplugging everything.

Edit2: So, i swapped a few things around.

Essentially the 2 external drives were connected to one of the power socket USB slots via a USB expansion connector, and in the single USB slot on the stick itself was the logitech dongle for connecting the m/kb.

Swapping this setup around seems to have it working. So the logitech dongle is now plugged into the USB socket on the power adapter and the 2 external drives are connected to the single USB slot on the card via a USB extender.

However, i'm now seeing a lot of duplicate USB devices in the device manager and i'm wondering if that's part of what's causing this whole issue.

The power socket that the stick is connected to via USBC is the main power source so i'm a bit wary of uninstalling devices/drivers in case that cuts the only source of power to the device.

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 22, 2019

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But how are they going to keep up with Linux?!

Honestly, twice a year is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. Like, I think back to where Microsoft had to update the scheduler to play nicer with brand-new Ryzen poo poo. Imagine having to wait over a year for major changes like that to show up.

Just do a hotfix? It's been done before.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Remember when Microsoft used to do service packs and Windows didn't have to reinstall itself every 6 months?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yes, but that was when Windows took an hour to reinstall off a CD.

Those were some bad loving times, dude. It's why we slipstreamed a ton of poo poo into our install discs to help save time.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Cumulative updates and updated ISOs MS releases can stay, doesn't mean the update process is good on Windows 10. Just now, my laptop won't update - it just fails. The bad times are now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It takes a while to download, but when the upgrade process works properly it is pretty quick and painless. Key word being 'when'.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It takes a while to download, but when the upgrade process works properly it is pretty quick and painless. Key word being 'when'.

I've had it fail enough times (3-4) in the Windows 10 VM I keep on my Linux system that I habitually just snapshot the VM before every upgrade at this point.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Even when it works properly, it still changes little things like the order of my sound devices. Service packs didn't use to reset random settings.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I had to uninstall and reinstall the sound drivers and then tell the audio device troubleshooter to turn on the microsoft drivers on my desktop again this upgrade, and had to delete a reg entry to stop a new desktop boot error from my logitech mouse's update program, but other than that an uneventful upgrade day.

well, i also learned i have to reinstall classic shell every once in a while to renew the certificate so it can have admin privileges to configure itself for the new windows build

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I had to uninstall and reinstall the sound drivers and then tell the audio device troubleshooter to turn on the microsoft drivers on my desktop again this upgrade, and had to delete a reg entry to stop a new desktop boot error from my logitech mouse's update program, but other than that an uneventful upgrade day.

well, i also learned i have to reinstall classic shell every once in a while to renew the certificate so it can have admin privileges to configure itself for the new windows build

I'd love to know why this stuff isn't getting picked up by telemetry and if it is, why is it not all getting fixed, so what's the point in the telemetry in the first place?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So WSL2 is just docker?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

ratbert90 posted:

So WSL2 is just docker?

No, that’s WSL1. WSL2 is just Hyper-V.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kin posted:

However, i'm now seeing a lot of duplicate USB devices in the device manager and i'm wondering if that's part of what's causing this whole issue.

If this is an intel compute stick, those aren't duplicates. The chip just has multiple USB roots, even though it only has 2 physical ports.

Kin posted:

The power socket that the stick is connected to via USBC is the main power source so i'm a bit wary of uninstalling devices/drivers in case that cuts the only source of power to the device.

I don't know about the rest of your problems because your setup is kinda out there, but this won't be a problem in any event. Stick computers don't need OS drivers just to turn on.

Mostly I'd say that for plugging 3 external HDs into a stick, what you want is a separate self-powered hub. Main USB3 on stick -> hub -> all drives. HDs need some power and I don't know if the power pack those things come with is designed for 3 drives at once. Anyways the problem is almost certainly with cables, power, or some other hardware and not the software.

edit: wait, only two drives, but swapping around which ones were plugged in where made it work. Definitely power. And not power management in the OS, you need more electrons. Get a powered hub.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 23, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'd love to know why this stuff isn't getting picked up by telemetry and if it is, why is it not all getting fixed, so what's the point in the telemetry in the first place?

Telemetry is like surveys, your data is only as good as the questions you ask. Order of sound devices was not something on their minds when setting up the telemetry.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Any ideas as to why my boot times are super slow after installing 1903?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

CubanMissile posted:

Any ideas as to why my boot times are super slow after installing 1903?

I'm not sure it's 1903, I updated my 1809 install with a new cumulative update last week or so and my boot times easily tripled. It just sits at a black screen for awhile for no reason then seems to proceed normally.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Update to my RAM/BSOD problems: I ram a Prime95 memory stress test with 16 threads. 10 out of the 16 threads failed in under five minutes, and I was only able to marginally increase that stability by loosening the RAM timings. New mobo/PSU incoming today. I also lost ANOTHER USB port on the back panel, which is totally garbage, so I think it's time to dump the Tomahawk and upgrade. Decided to go with the X470 Taichi from ASRock. I really loved my ASRock Z77 Pro 3 back when I had an i5, so we'll see how this goes.

So, uh, I definitely no longer think it was Windows causing any problems with audio drivers. Definitely exhaust your hardware troubleshooting before nuking your Windows install, folks

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Definitely exhaust your hardware troubleshooting before nuking your Windows install, folks

Seriously. Aging, gradually dying motherboards can do really loving weird things (and yet still generally work and be stable). Unique things, too. Like when trying to google for your issue, you get the impression that it's only ever happened to you because you don't get a single solitary hit that sounds anything like your issue.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Klyith posted:

If this is an intel compute stick, those aren't duplicates. The chip just has multiple USB roots, even though it only has 2 physical ports.

I don't know about the rest of your problems because your setup is kinda out there, but this won't be a problem in any event. Stick computers don't need OS drivers just to turn on.

Mostly I'd say that for plugging 3 external HDs into a stick, what you want is a separate self-powered hub. Main USB3 on stick -> hub -> all drives. HDs need some power and I don't know if the power pack those things come with is designed for 3 drives at once. Anyways the problem is almost certainly with cables, power, or some other hardware and not the software.

edit: wait, only two drives, but swapping around which ones were plugged in where made it work. Definitely power. And not power management in the OS, you need more electrons. Get a powered hub.

Aha, cheers for the info. Yeah, 2 drives. The reason why i think it's software rather than hardware is because the drives worked perfectly to begin with when plugged into the USB ports on the power pack and now they're working perfectly from the port on the stick.

Meanwhile, I literally saw the USB items duplicate in the device manager.

Originally there was just 1 generic superspeed USB hub and 1 generic USB hub for example, but when i hooked them up to the port on the stick, the duplicates showed up.

If the USBC socket doesn't need drivers to supply the power to the stick then i'll give the driver re-installation a go before i go and buy powered hubs and whatnot.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 23, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
1903 seems to have completely hosed my Coolermaster RGB keyboard. I can't go more than about 3-5 hours without it flipping out, changing its LED colors and stopping working. I have no clue what to even check. :(

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

redeyes posted:

1903 seems to have completely hosed my Coolermaster RGB keyboard. I can't go more than about 3-5 hours without it flipping out, changing its LED colors and stopping working. I have no clue what to even check. :(

Any update available for the keyboard software from Coolermaster?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

redeyes posted:

You having it do something fancy based on cpu speed or temperature or something like that? From all of the stuff about anti-cheating software breaking with this update I'm guessing Microsoft have locked down some access points that this kind of software is using.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any update available for the keyboard software from Coolermaster?

No updates that I can find.

CFox posted:

You having it do something fancy based on cpu speed or temperature or something like that? From all of the stuff about anti-cheating software breaking with this update I'm guessing Microsoft have locked down some access points that this kind of software is using.

Huh. that does make some sense. Like its checking USB input in the background.

The keyboard does have a mode where it can show sound or cpu load with the lights, though I wasn't using it. Maybe I'll just delete the software entirely and see what happens?

[edit] removed Coolermaster portal software, which also has the cpu meter, etc. If I can get through a whole day without replugging my keyboard 10 times, I'll be happy.

[edit] Nope, made it about 2 hours and then it freaked out again. ARRRG. I guess I'll swap with a non RGB keyboard until someone figures out wtf windows is doing.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 24, 2019

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Windows 10 May 2019 update report.

Love the game bar improvements, particularly the CPU usage thing that you can stick on the screen while you play.

Tells you your CPU usage percentage, but not the percentage of the GPU, that's displaying how much VRAM you're using. Be awesome if this thing could be connected to temperature sensors too.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner is so much better/more informative then that, why bother with gamebar?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Process hacker also has pretty good graphs, that also let you see what the top process usage was for CPU, I/O and GPU at any point in the recorded period, which lasts about an hour. Has RAM but not VRAM though. GPU Graph seems to be broken after the latest windows update, but I mainly use it to keep track of I/O and CPU hogs.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Are there any other programs for Windows as useful and necessary as DisplayFusion?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Nope, literally the most useful program in existence.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Im_Special posted:

format.exe would like a word with you.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Im_Special posted:

Fine, I'm willing to give it a shot. Here's the make-or-break question, though: Is it gonna make me re-up a license every year?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Fine, I'm willing to give it a shot. Here's the make-or-break question, though: Is it gonna make me re-up a license every year?
It shouldn't. At least, my copy purchased on Steam hasn't had anything like that.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't know what "re-up" means, but there's never any "phoning home" going on if that's what your asking, I have the Steam version which is identical to the non-steam version (which seems to be 50% off right now!, but it also goes on sale 50% over on Steam too, so maybe wait for for the next big sale if you really like Steam), with Steam it just downloads the latest "installer.exe" anyway which you then install like any other program, and no it doesn't need to have Steam running to use afterwards, you can even delete the files from Steam afterwards which is just the installer, and the program stuff will be located in your "Program Files (86x)" folder, etc. I have auto-update unchecked on mine personally and just hit the "check for updates" button manually in the options from within the program when new versions get released and update that way.

All the licenses are lifetime license, with Steam it just adds a long "key string" to the registry when you install it to unlock the pro features so there's some added convince there not needing to hunt for that "CD-key" later down the line when you do a format or change computers or whatever, there no intrusive DRM or anything either, I've been using this for 5+ years now and between different computers, no issues.

Once you set it up you won't be able to live without it, being able to middle click a window and have it switch to your other monitor or to fade your other monitors to 60% brightness with a simple hotkey are some fantastic features.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 28, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Today Youtube is redirecting to the legacy layout when using Chromium Edge. It worked fine all the time, now this. How in the hell is this not some Google fuckery?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Wait for the final release if you don't want to experience any oddities.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Combat Pretzel posted:

Today Youtube is redirecting to the legacy layout when using Chromium Edge. It worked fine all the time, now this. How in the hell is this not some Google fuckery?

Sounds like an improvement. The only good thing the new layout does is make the default video window bigger. I have to use an extension to accomplish the same thing so consider yourself lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Every video site should have the ability for the video to completely fill the browser window, just like Twitch has. Fullscreen is too disruptive, and fixed video sizes are always either too big or too small.