Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Think of all the terrible, misogynistic jokes he could recycle from The IT Crowd, though!

It's good to know that show doesn't get better from when I immediately gave up on it and decided to watch Black Books instead. I like to think that it was mostly safe from the Linehan bigotry, but I've been afraid to rewatch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bicyclops posted:

It's good to know that show doesn't get better from when I immediately gave up on it and decided to watch Black Books instead. I like to think that it was mostly safe from the Linehan bigotry, but I've been afraid to rewatch it.

Nothing comes to mind that's more egregious than any early 2000s show. I think Dylan Moran had a hand in writing it, which might have offset Linehan's shittiness.

Like Mathews and Father Ted

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The worst thing that comes to mind is the "Fran's date realises that he's gay" bit that's a bunch of stereotypes but like, even there, it's not really playing up negative stereotypes, it's just a bunch of dumb stuff like 'he talks with his mum a lot, and calls a group of famous gay men fabulous.'

Gammon only worked on the first series and all the episodes he did were co-written by Dylan Moran and co-directed by someone else yeah, so it wasn't Full Force Linehan like we finally got with IT Crowd

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Barry Foster posted:

Nothing comes to mind that's more egregious than any early 2000s show. I think Dylan Moran had a hand in writing it, which might have offset Linehan's shittiness.

Like Mathews and Father Ted

It's mostly Moran with Kevin Cecil and Andy Riley, Linehan's only involved in the first series. Arthur Matthews pops up a bit as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Box of Bunnies posted:

The worst thing that comes to mind is the "Fran's date realises that he's gay" bit that's a bunch of stereotypes but like, even there, it's not really playing up negative stereotypes, it's just a bunch of dumb stuff like 'he talks with his mum a lot, and calls a group of famous gay men fabulous.'

I'll always remember that scene purely for Fran trying to think of something flirty to say and ending up with,"Well would you just look at these... breasts..." :allears:

I loved Black Books and IT Crowd, but Linehan being a gigantic piece of poo poo really does throw a lot of the jokes into a sad new context. What seemed like it was making fun of stupid ideas now comes across a lot more meanspirited.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

If memory serves, Moran wrote most of Black Books season 2 all by himself, which largely didn’t work well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh boy....I'm arguing with Frazer Hines on Twitter about Dreyfus.

Never meet your heroes, kids

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

jivjov posted:

Oh boy....I'm arguing with Frazer Hines on Twitter about Dreyfus.

Never meet your heroes, kids

The french artillery officer, the star of Veep or the Herbert Lom character in the Pink Panther films?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Doctor meets The Master ...

https://twitter.com/Alex_Macqueen/status/1129374575324729345

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

What does he know?!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Every time I finally forget about the Space Force, it comes up again and I am in danger of dying from laughter.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Every time I finally forget about the Space Force, it comes up again and I am in danger of dying from laughter.

It always cracks me up because there's like 6 people in space right now, and that's higher than average.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now I'm not telling the BBC how to do their business, but personally I wouldn't have picked Ted Cruz as the guy to announce the complete recovery and restoration of those missing episodes :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

It always cracks me up because there's like 6 people in space right now, and that's higher than average.

*Mulder voice* That's just what they want you to think. :ninja:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm not sure, but the daleks are behind this.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I don't think the Space Force is particularly funny. The militarisation of space, something that didn't happen even during the darkest days of the cold war, is continuing to grow and we should all be terrified. How long before there are orbital weapons platforms and anti-sattelite weaponry?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

I don't think the Space Force is particularly funny. The militarisation of space, something that didn't happen even during the darkest days of the cold war, is continuing to grow and we should all be terrified. How long before there are orbital weapons platforms and anti-sattelite weaponry?

As with many things in the new fascist hellscape, it is both terrifying and also extremely funny

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

marktheando posted:

Right. Like I said, daleks.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

marktheando posted:

Please define "darkest days of the Cold War", as I'm feeling like Ronald Reagan and his "Star Wars" space defense platform ideas from the 1980s are getting sort of glossed over here

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Please define "darkest days of the Cold War", as I'm feeling like Ronald Reagan and his "Star Wars" space defense platform ideas from the 1980s are getting sort of glossed over here

That didn't actually happen though, despite all the money spent on researching space weapons it was a fantasy in Reagan's swiss cheese brain. The closest we have come to weaponising space in reality is that there was an AK on board Mir.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fil5000 posted:

The french artillery officer, the star of Veep or the Herbert Lom character in the Pink Panther films?

James Dreyfus the transphobic actor playing the First Master.

Frazer Hines cited him as his favorite Big Finish Master and I posted something in dismay about how he's a lovely transphobe, to which Hines responded "I'm talking about his acting, not his politics"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

marktheando posted:

That didn't actually happen though, despite all the money spent on researching space weapons it was a fantasy in Reagan's swiss cheese brain. The closest we have come to weaponising space in reality is that there was an AK on board Mir.

Sure, and the Space Force is a fantasy in Trump's Swiss cheese brain. Like most everything else he's demanded, he's not going to get it. The USAF holds 85% of the military's space-related budget, and loving lol if Trump thinks they're just going to give that over to some upstart new kid service branch without a fight. So no need to worry; whether in DW or in real life, the Space Force is just pure fantasy. :)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Presumably they could create a separate branch and give it its own budget without taking anything away from the USAF

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

2house2fly posted:

Presumably they could create a separate branch and give it its own budget without taking anything away from the USAF
Congress has to approve budgets. It's why Trump has been limited to issuing executive orders to siphon little bits of money piecemeal from various other places to fund his stupid wall.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

2house2fly posted:

One last word and then I'll jump off the train tracks of this particular derail: IIRC, the plan as laid out is that it would be its' own branch, taking the personnel and budget from the various space programs as run by the Army, Navy, and USAF. To assume that those branches would be perfectly willing to just give up the people and money they get for those various space-based programs is extremely naive, to say the least. However, all this requires Congressional approval though, and Trump couldn't even get a Republican-controlled Congress to agree to dismantle Obamacare, so good luck with that.

Now back to Doctor Who! :v:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
DO YOU SEE WHAT'S HAPPENED, CHIBNALL?????

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1130926244801974273

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Nice! Not the best of pulls, but it's always nice to see a non-overused classic alien return.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shJRm4sNuhE

By the way, anyone watching Rusty's new show? Plenty of Who alumni in it, including Anne Reid (from "Smith and Jones") including T'Nia "How do you cope with all that ego?" Miller, and RTD's biggest crush, Russell Tovey.

I want a hand phone now.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 21, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Have the Judoon always had rad mohawks and I just never noticed? :confused:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

No, that's new.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Teek posted:

Nice! Not the best of pulls, but it's always nice to see a non-overused classic alien return.

It's kind of cool that the revival has been going long enough now that the Judoon are considered "classic". I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, I really dig the Judoon and it's cool to see them as a regular recurring alien race. Also....

Davros1 posted:

No, that's new.

:thatsrad:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 22, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Davros1 posted:

No, that's noo.

Fixed that for yoo.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Jerusalem posted:

It's kind of cool that the revival has been going long enough now that the Judoon are considering "classic".

I'm right there in that same boat. I'd much rather be using that in regards to a true classic Who alien who has yet to appear in the revival, something like the Terileptil or the Sea Devils.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A Challenger Appears!

https://twitter.com/pipmadeley/status/1131166462801010688

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ThunderbirdsHQ/status/1131137653754269699

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Syl's also doing a movie with Maisie Williams.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

I want to make a joke about a war between Middle-earth and Westeros, but I can't think of a good one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

"And what do we say to the God of Death?"
"Not toda-"
"That's right, we mock it relentlessly before exposing this so-called divinity as having feet of clay, outclassed by the true divinity that is the greater aspirations of the human soul defined in truth by its own mortality!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

From this article about human composting in Washington state:

Look! The round things!