Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

DeafNote posted:

I took this boss first because of reflective veil. The latter ones get too ridiculous too fast for me to even dare taking them on without at least one superjob already.

Runelord is very doable without any superjobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I managed to take down Warmaster first using a combination of buffs, debuffs, and overhealing. Uh... actually to be honest I haven't bothered making a second attempt at any of the others yet despite having only two stories left to get through. All of the optional job bosses are pretty scary.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
All you need is a dancer and a cleric to do what Mega did for Sorceror. Spamming reflect once the debuff wears off is very powerful in that fight. Just make sure everyone has enough hp to weather his spells.

The others have their own semi-cheese strats too, but I'll wait til they're covered before talking about those.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I think the secret classes are notionally meant to be saved for the postgame, since their areas are recommended for level 50 while everyone's Chapter 4 is level 40 (and the class unlock boss fights are in fact significantly harder than most Chapter 4 bosses, IMO). If you actually follow that recommendation you'll end up with very little game left to try them out in, though.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
If you aren't doing things way out of your league for even a chance at ultimate power, are you even living in the first place?

I'm pretty sure I ran through this shrine specifically to get the purple chest for the staff's massive Elm. Atk while I was still doing some Chapter 3s. ...Then I got distracted by other games and never came back.

Cyrus as sorcerer seems natural because what else are you using him for besides raw, unrelenting magical power anyways?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Thuryl posted:

I think the secret classes are notionally meant to be saved for the postgame, since their areas are recommended for level 50 while everyone's Chapter 4 is level 40 (and the class unlock boss fights are in fact significantly harder than most Chapter 4 bosses, IMO). If you actually follow that recommendation you'll end up with very little game left to try them out in, though.

Pretty much. While there are a good number of quests in the post-game, there's only the final boss deal and then one other boss.

Also I like all the cats so far!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I watched the boss fight before reading the commentary and seeing you struggle with the first few turns then completely dominate after getting the chance to set up and it was cool. Really glad this game is coming to a platform I can play it on now.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DeafNote posted:

I took this boss first because of reflective veil. The latter ones get too ridiculous too fast for me to even dare taking them on without at least one superjob already.

also catwise.
I have one that does this Pretty magical thing if you ask me.

Your cat loaf is having trouble rising.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Nice Dracula, Cyrus.
I always thought he looked more like Doctor Strange. (And apparently that cat agrees.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I swapped Primrose with Tressa. This party will be what I roll with for the remaining three bosses, as Tressa is key to two of these bosses, and the other is more laziness.

I go Cyrus for Sorcerer, as the others need the versatility for these fights, while Cyrus is more than content being the nuker. I don't need the Lightning skill as much, so I went Wind and Dark. I don't know if I'll go Light or with Elemental Break next, but it honestly probably won't matter by the time I'm done with these, as I'll be taking a break from Cyrus after I finish his Chapter 4 anyway.

Otherwise, Ophilia stays Hunter because Leghold Trap and wrecking bow weaknesses, while Alfyn gets Dancer solely to buff. Tressa with Warrior helps hugely for this next fight, though I could also do Olberic with Merchant (and the first time I beat this fight, I went with both).

Our next boss is in the Highlands. The region around Everhold has quite the lighting going for it.

Music: Battle III

Lots of birds and wyverns around.

Though these encounters take a lot less time thanks to Sorcerer. Another reason to get these jobs early!

Like the other regions, there are eight dungeons for these eight new regions, and the shrines aren't included in this total.

I love how overly elaborate the designs are for the end-tier beastkin.

And there's Demon Goats. What more could you want?

Like the first time I went hunting for this shrine, it took me forever to actually find it. The terrain can be a pain to navigate around.

Music: The Trees Have Eyes

Eventually, I do find the dungeon, and it's pretty straightforward and linear, which is a nice change of pace for a cave dungeon.

More remnants, but nothing else really stands out.

The shrine itself has a really nice view overlooking the Highlands. It's great scenery, if nothing else.

But, as before, we're here to obtain power. And first we have to earn it.

Video: Boss - Balogar, the Runeblade

Music: They Who Govern Reason

Meet Balogar. He can be a tricky foe if you're not prepared, and moreso if you are.

First off, you want Balogar to focus-fire on one character. He primarily uses physical attacks, and they're nasty ones you don't want spreading around your party. The good news is he doesn't use any party-wide attacks yet.

You can probably see why I'm having Tressa as the target.

Balogar starts out with three weaknesses locked.

Luckily, I did unlock Sorcerer first, so breaking him is trivial.

This is more a stalling tactic while I try to get things set up. And honestly, I don't know how useful it is.

You see, Balogar uses physical attacks, but they're all elemental.

And the kicker is, most of them inflict status effects. Ice will inflict sleep, while Thunder inflicts Unconscious. It seems Fire foregoes a status effect in favor of more damage.

At any rate, I don't let this interfere with my plan, and after throwing an herb on Tressa...

...it all comes together. They may be elemental attacks, but they're still considered physical attacks, so they can be Sidestepped.

And don't forget that Sidestep is considered a self-buff, meaning we can't spread it with Sealticge's Seduction.

I manage to break Balogar, giving me time to shore my defenses.

After the first couple breaks, Balogar gains a couple more shields. His weaknesses don't become unlocked yet, however.

Thanks to Some Numbers for keeping me on track while I was streaming this and reminding me to poison this jerk.

Meanwhile, I do uncover a couple more weaknesses. They're locked, but still, good to know!

I break Balogar again, and then start shredding him.

Thankfully he only does this twice, I believe.

And hey, I find another weakness! One I can actually hit, no less!

As long as Tressa has Incite and Sidestep set up, she doesn't need to do much else. Might as well get paid.

Sometimes he'll shuffle his exposed weaknesses. This would be annoying if I didn't already whittle him down to one shield. And, you know, he didn't expose a bow weakness.

With Aelfric's Auspices, a max-boosted ElemAtk-buffed Cyrus is dealing close to 30k damage a turn. Even with Balogar's massive HP (around the same as Dreisang's), that tears out a good chunk.

So, the good news is around halfway into the fight, all his weaknesses get exposed.

Which I absolutely do not hesitate to take advantage of. Don't forget Cyrus still has AA, which means that's six hits of Dark damage, in addition to the minimum of three guaranteed hits that Rain of Arrows grants.

He had no chance.

That said, I know what's about to happen, which is why I have Tressa use Hired Help. You probably know what's about to happen, too.

In addition, I have Alfyn use Dohter's.

For the second half of the fight, Balogar will use his rune attacks on the entire party.

...which can be catastrophic if you're not prepared.

And this signals Balogar's ultimate attack.

Worry not, as turn order is on my side. Tressa wakes Alfyn, and Alfyn can use this concoction to wake everyone else up and heal HP. It even adds the Rehabilitate buff for a turn or two to block status effects.

And here's why Dohter's Charity is so nice. This isn't the Curious Bloom mix, but the Purifying Seed + Essence of Grape mix I used last battle. It's normally single-target, but not so with Dohter's!

Runelord's Resolve deals six hits, one of each element, upon one target. It rips through all of Tressa's remaining Sidesteps, so she takes a couple hits, but luckily it's not too bad, and she's able to get to Sidestepping all over again.

And also I break his face in.

This time we're really going to buff up Cyrus.

...though I completely forget that Balogar was gonna recover from break and thus send my team to snooze town.

It all worked out, though.

At which point, it's a matter of fighting fire with fire.

Until, in the end, we come out on top.

And this unlocks our next job, Runelord.

-----

Weapons: Swords, Axes
Stats: +7% Phys/Elem Atk; +6% Phys/Elem Def; +6% Acc; +8% Crit

Runelord is an interesting job, in that it's a physical-oriented job that specializes in elemental damage. The Runelord can give themselves an elemental rune to do additional damage to a foe, and even give those runes to the rest of the party. Thanks to Transfer Rune and some late-game weapons that boost wind-elemental damage, Tressa is probably the best candidate to be Runelord, though really Runelord can fit with everyone since it loves both high ElemAtk (Cyrus, Primrose, Ophilia) and weapon skills (Olberic, H'aanit, Alfyn, Therion).

Job Skills

Fire Rune (15SP) [Fire] [Buff] - Weapons the user attacks with will deal additional fire damage for three turns.
Ice Rune (15SP) [Ice] [Buff] - Weapons the user attacks with will deal additional ice damage for three turns.
Thunder Rune (15SP) [Lightning] [Buff] - Weapons the user attacks with will deal additional lightning damage for three turns.
Wind Rune (15SP) [Wind] [Buff] - Weapons the user attacks with will deal additional wind damage for three turns.
Dark Rune (15SP) [Dark] [Buff] - Weapons the user attacks with will deal additional dark damage for three turns.
Light Rune (15SP) [Light] [Buff] - Weapons the user attacks with will deal additional light damage for three turns.

Formula: (EA - (0.55*TED)) * 10 ; Damage from runes are unaffected by boosting. EA factors in the EA of the weapon equipped.

Each BP spent adds an additional two turns to the buff. This adds the rune buff to the character, meaning every time that character uses a physical attack with a weapon (including using weapon skills!), that attack is followed up with an elemental attack of the chosen element. This attack is separate from the physical attack, and uses the formula above to determine damage.

This elemental attack is not affected by boosting in any way. Also, unlike every other attack using ElemAtk in the game, runes only factor in the ElemAtk of the current weapon (whereas everything else that uses ElemAtk chooses the stat of the weapon with the highest ElemAtk you have equipped). Thus you ideally want a weapon with high ElemAtk like staves, or ideally, high in both stats like some polearms and axes. Finally, unlike Balogar's runes, the elemental runes do not inflict status effects. They simply do elemental damage.

Overall, the runes are really nice if you're set up for them. With the right gear and passives (and Surpassing Power, of course) you can easily reach five-digit damage from a rune attack. They'll also hit elemental weaknesses. They may end up underwhelming if you're not geared for them, but otherwise they're a valuable offensive weapon and worth the effort investing in them, especially when paired with the next skill.

Transfer Rune (25SP) [Buff] - For three turns, skills that normally target yourself alone will target your allies as well.
Formula: (3 + 2*BP) Turns Duration, maximum of nine.

At first glance, what this means is that someone with this buff can grant runes to everyone in the party, which of course means quadruple the fun with rune attacks. Of course, this is fantastic by itself, for obvious reasons. However, the text isn't referring to just runes, but other self-target skills as well, namely the Warrior's Abide and Iron Wall buffs, and the Merchant's Rest move and Sidestep buff. That last one is key, and the main reason Tressa shines as a Runelord. Remember how many physical-focused bosses we faced and trivialized with PhysDef buffs? Imagine if the entire party could get four stacks of Sidestep a round. Yeah. This combination is key for a few fights, including an upcoming one. Another great skill to have.

Balogar's Blade (50SP) [All Elements] - [Divine Skill] Deal damage from each of the six elements (fire, ice, lightning, wind, light, and darkness) to a single foe.
Formula: (EA - TED) * 5 ; Hits six times, once for each element.

The six hits by themselves are rather weak for a divine skill, but there are six of them, so they add up for a solid amount of damage. It's especially nice if you can buff your ElemAtk enough so that each attack can be incredibly damaging to your opponent. A really nice Divine Skill to cap off a wonderful skillset.

-----

Support Skills

Stat Swap: Elemental and physical attack strength will be swapped with one another.

Only swaps the base stats, not any weapon bonuses. But even if it did, I don't really see a situation where I'd want to use this, especially since it'd take up a valuable support slot. Pass.

SP Recovery: Upon taking damage from a foe, gain an amount of SP equal to 1% of damage taken.

Rounded down, of course, and doesn't proc if the target is KOed by the hit. There's more productive ways to manage SP than taking damage, and really it's at best on par with SP Saver or Second Wind with that gimmick. I'd rather use one of those other two myself.

Dauntless: Gain increased physical and elemental attack when suffering from a status ailment.

Basically gives the PhysAtk and ElemAtk buffs (which add 50% more damage to each) while suffering from a status ailment. The main issue is that status effects are nasty in this game, and two of them shut you down anyway. Also, there's no real reliable way to inflict status ailments on yourself, and if you could do so, it's a turn better spent applying the buff manually. Another weak passive.

Elemental Edge: Gain augmented elemental attack and defense in battle.

Your character always has the ElemAtk and ElemDef buffs. We've finally found a good support skill, as this means not having to relayer the buffs, and this also blocks the corresponding debuffs. The ElemDef buff doesn't boost healing, but even still, this is a nice boost both to your elemental damage output and a reduction of elemental damage you take. Great grab for magic-geared characters.

-----

Two down, two to go! Next time, we put Runelord to good use against our next test as we continue our job hunt.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Runelord Tressa :getin:

This boss is one of the easier secret job bosses once you know the trick. I managed to do it at a fairly low level with this party: Therion lv 38 hunter, Alfyn level 32 Merchant, Tressa level 31 warrior and Primrose level 31 Cleric by employing the same Sidestep + Incite strategy and buffing up. Also Concocting a Purifying Seed + Curious Bloom gives a heal + a sidestep! And you can spread it to everyone via Dohter's Charity. Once I figured that out, Balogar was toast.

Runelord Tressa is so ridiculous, giving Sidestep to everyone trivialises most other fights so hard it's not even funny. No one else can compete with that. But if you don't want to employ the most busted strategy, it's actually a pretty ok class on anyone else just for the buffs. Good stats, good buffs, nice outfits, runelord is good. I guess the closest comparison to it from other games is Spellblade/Mage Knight?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

About the only weakness of Runelord Tressa is that it takes her two turns of setup with Transfer Rune and Sidestep... Which might be time enough for an enemy to kill or dispel her, which starts the whole process over again. :argh:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

Balogar's Blade (50SP) [All Elements] - [Divine Skill] Deal damage from each of the six elements (fire, ice, lightning, wind, light, and darkness) to a single foe.
Formula: (EA - TED) * 5 ; Hits six times, once for each element.

The six hits by themselves are rather weak for a divine skill, but there are six of them, so they add up for a solid amount of damage. It's especially nice if you can buff your ElemAtk enough so that each attack can be incredibly damaging to your opponent. A really nice Divine Skill to cap off a wonderful skillset.

Does that mean you could use one attack at the beginning of a fight to expose all elemental weaknesses on an enemy? Seems like that would be very handy.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Schwartzcough posted:

Does that mean you could use one attack at the beginning of a fight to expose all elemental weaknesses on an enemy? Seems like that would be very handy.

Divine Skills require 4 BP and as far as I know, there's no way to start the battle with 4. Second round, yes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Theoretically you could throw a Pomegranate on the Runelord and have them do it first turn, but Pomegranates are kinda limited and it’s easier finding weaknesses yourself, or use Analyze, or just look them up on the internet since they’re static beyond those bosses that shift weaknesses (and even those have patterns to them).

I am a stick
Jan 13, 2019
Ahh, yes. The source of Tressa's ultimate power has arrived. :getin:

So the first time I did this fight, I set up a Boosted Sealticge'd Rehabilitate once I saw the status effect riders...and then forgot to reapply it, which led to me being stunlocked to death once the Runestorms began to fly.

DeafNote posted:

also catwise.
I have one that does this Pretty magical thing if you ask me.

Black Robe posted:

Your cat loaf is having trouble rising.

I am jealous of your cat loaf. Mine only does a flop.

(Granted, it is a very pretty flop, but still...)

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Ah, yes. Runlord Tressa, the broken queen. Party-wide HP/SP heal? Great in a pinch. Party-wide sidestep? Great always. There are two elemental weapons that are practically made for Tressa, as well!

I had always wondered what these damage formulae worked out to be in actuality. Knowing some of the details, I should be able to make a hell of a lot more efficient endgame party...

I am late to the game but:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As you may expect, I make Tressa my Runelord, with my first order of business being to buy Transfer Rune.

This will make the next fight pretty drat easy.

The only other change is Alfyn becomes a Merchant, for Hired Help and Donate BP.

The next shrine we'll be visiting is in the Riverlands, but to reach that Chapter 3 area, we need to detour through the Cliftlands.

I posted this encounter because I like the ability name.

The Orewell region of the Cliftlands is...pretty much like the rest of the Cliftlands. These separate areas aren't really as distinct color-wise, though navigating the different terrains is fun, at least until you get lost.

The Cliff Birdkings are decked out and have the firepower to back their flash.

I had to run with my tail between my legs.

The Riverford area of the Riverlands has a late-afternoon/early-evening lighting to it, much like some of the other Chapter 4 areas. Suiting since we're roughly in the end-game now.

Some delightfully disgusting foes.

Hey, let's show off how runes work!

Your regular attack will still do its normal damage, but the rune attack triggers afterward and deals its own damage.

After yet another few minutes bumbling around trying to find the entrance, I eventually reach the Shrine of the Warbringer.

It's a cave that a river runs through.

If nothing else, they really went all-out with the visual design for these shrine dungeons.

You know how this is gonna go, so let's get started.

Video: Boss - Winnehild, Warbringer

Today's fight is againt Winnehild, the Warbringer.

As you may expect, she's a physical-oriented boss, and her strength is what you'd expect from someone who calls herself "Warbringer".

Of course, you know what my plan is. Transfer Rune + Sidest--

...Not gonna make it easy for me, are you?

Winnehild isn't going to simply throw attacks. She has a large variety of weapon attacks to bring the hurt on you. This is one of her weaker attacks. And you can't really tell, but this inflicts poison on Tressa for the brief moment between her being stabbed and her hitting the floor.

Simple PhysDef buffs aren't going to do the trick as well as they did in past fights.

I'm going to need a breather to make this work. Not the best idea to break her before you're prepared, but I don't have much a choice here!

Turn order doesn't work out in my favor, so I break out a valuable Large Pomegranate for this one. I need to get this strat up ASAP.

Of course, Winnehild is going to get two turns to start things off next round.

But hopefully a party-wide PhysDef buff will keep me alive long enough to start throwing Sidestep with reckless abandon.

Her first turn is to boost her shields up to a hefty eight.

Her second attack is Phoenix Storm, a really nasty move that deals a large number of hits on random targets.

Fortunately, my party survives, and at this point we've almost got the fight won before it really starts.

Winnehild can go into a counter stance, where she'll counter all physical attacks. Fortunately, my main offense is magic.

I'm not just using Transfer Rune for Sidestep spam! The runes are actually really nice offensive boosts for Ophilia and Tressa (and would be for Cyrus if he didn't have Sorcerer skills to annihilate his foes).

And now I can really make Cyrus into a magical powerhouse.

So many of these would be brutal without Sidestep.

The best part about runes is that boosting has absolutely no impact on their damage. Of course, that's also a bit of a negative. Even if you do four regular attacks, you still only do one follow-up rune attack. Same deal with weapon skills, boosting a skill won't affect the rune damage.

But it does mean you have a solid offensive option that doesn't rely on BP to shine.

Though don't get me wrong, having BP-expensive buffs to fuel your BP-expensive spells to do ~42k damage in one turn is still a drat wonderful sight to see.

After that break, Winnehild goes up to a whopping twelve shields.

I did uncover an ice weakness for her, so Ice Rune makes more sense for this fight.

Even against unbroken foes, runes can do some impressive damage.

This...is underwhelming compared to what I'm used to from Concoct. These fights are SP-expensive, especially for Cyrus. 50SP is a drop in the bucket for his exSPenses!

Once you whittle her health down enough, she gets three turns a round.

Without Sidestep, Winnehild would be a nightmare to fight. I doubt Shackle Foe and Hired Help would be enough to curb her extensive offensive weaponry.

Of course, she also has a party-wide attack.

She's gearing up for her ultimate attack at this point. Even with all these Sidesteps, I'm scared to death of it.

But of course, she never gets the chance to use it.

And with that, we have our penultimate job, Warmaster.

-----

Weapons: Swords, Polearms, Daggers, Axes, Bows, Staves
Stats: +12% PhysAtk/PhysDef ; +6% Acc/Speed ; +4% Evasion

Warmaster is all about physical attacks. They can use all six weapon types, and they have a different skill for each weapon that is surprisingly distinct from the weapon abilities of other jobs. This means they're surprisingly versatile while still hitting like a truck, though their skills aren't too exciting. Naturally, this job is great for your physical attackers, namely Olberic and H'aanit, though Alfyn, Therion, and Tressa can get good mileage from this job as well.

Job Skills

Guardian Liondog (35SP) [Sword] - Unleash five to ten sword attacks against random foes.
Formula: (PA - (1.25*TPD)) * 0.8 * (1 + 0.4*BP) ; Hits multiple times.

Uses its own accuracy formula. Targets are completely random between all present enemies, with a guaranteed minimum of three hits. It's the sword version of Thousand Spears / Rain of Arrows, though slightly stronger. Like those attacks, it's mainly useful for ripping through sword weaknesses without spending BP, and not really useful outside that.

Tiger Rage (35SP) [Axe] - Unleash an axe attack on all foes.
Formula: (PA - (0.67*TPD) * 1.65 * (1 + 0.9*BP)

It's a stronger version of Last Stand, albeit without the "lower HP = more damage" gimmick. It's also significantly more expensive, but that's the price for versatility. It's alright, I guess.

Qilin's Horn (35SP) [Polearm] - Unleash a polearm attack on a single foe.
Formula: (PA - (0.6*TPD)) * 2.25 * (1 + BP)

Ends up more powerful than Cross Strike/Amputation, and on a weapon type that's otherwise lacking in useful skills. Definitely one of the Warmaster's better skills.

Yatagarasu (35SP) [Dagger] - Unleash a dagger attack on all foes.
Formula: (PA - (0.67*TPD)) * 1.65 * (1 + 0.9*BP)

The only other target-all dagger attack is the Thief's Divine, which is more powerful but also more of a pain to acquire and set up. Pretty decent for hitting groups with dagger weaknesses of course, but also a fine target-all skill on its own.

Fox Spirit (35SP) [Staff] - Unleash a staff attack on all foes.
Formula: (PA - (0.67*TPD)) * 1.65 * (1 + 0.9*BP)

Staves only have two skills total, so of course this is going to stand out as the only one to deal staff damage to all foes. Of course, due to the generally low PhysAtk of staves, this is usually going to be more useful for breaking weaknesses than doing damage. That is, unless you add a rune...

Phoenix Storm (35SP) [Bow] - Unleash a bow attack on a single foe.
Formula: (PA - (0.6*TPD)) * 2.25 * (1 + BP)

More powerful than True Strike, but without the guaranteed crit (though this still can crit). It all comes down to whether you have a better bow or polearm, really. Good skill otherwise.

Nightmare Chimera (35SP) [Choice] - Unleash an attack on a single foe using a weapon of your choice. The weapon will be destroyed.
Formula: (PA - (0.67*TPD) * ????? * (1 + 0.2*BP) ; Varies based on weapon's PhysAtk and other unknown factors.

This is a weird one, and honestly I have no idea how useful this is due to the whole "destroys the weapon" aspect. You're generally going to want to use your strongest weapons, and many of them either can't be replaced or are a chore to replace. And of course, you can't re-equip weapons during battle. Apparently you choose from all the weapons you don't have equipped. Go figure!

Even though I've never played with this, I feel safe calling this skill useless.

Winnehild's Battle Cry (50SP) [Various] - [Divine Skill] Wield six weapons to unleash six attacks on all foes.
Formula: ((PA + WPA/2) - (0.8*TPD)) * 2.7 ; Hits once for each weapon.

This is the weapon version of the Runelord's Divine, except it trades power in favor of hitting all foes. But like the Runelord's Divine, this is a fantastic attack and a great way to rip through groups or even single-targets. While the rest of the Warmaster's skills are functional-yet-dull, this more than makes up for that.

-----

Support Skills

Extra Experience - Gain additional experience from battles. (Equipping this skill with multiple characters will have no added effect.)

It's an extra 50% EXP to the entire party. Mostly useful for grinding EXP, of course. Seems a bit silly to have it on a late-game job, but otherwise as useful as it sounds.

Stalwart Defense - Enhances Physical Defense by 50.

While stat boosts are useful in the early game, they lose out to more useful passives by the time you get these jobs. On top of that, PhysDef is probably one of the least-useful stats to devote a support skill to. Not really worth it at this stage of the game.

Fortitude - Deal more damage the lower your current HP is.

This kicks in at under 1/3 Max HP, and only factors in for physical damage. It multiplies physical damage by (2*((MaxHP - 3*CurrentHP)/MaxHP) + 1), meaning at 1HP you'll be roughly doing triple the physical damage. Of course, that involves playing very dangerously and would involve a lot of careful set up, but it can give a really huge damage boost. Too risky for my tastes, but it's interesting for sure and I appreciate having a support skill like this, situational though it may be.

Physical Prowess - Augments physical attack and defense during battle.

Your character always has the PhysAtk and PhysDef buffs. Like the Runelord's Elemental Edge, this is a great convenience support that will save plenty of turns down the line. Perhaps not as useful as Elemental Edge due to the various options to buff PhysAtk and the myriad of ways to guard against physical attacks, but still a solid option for your physical attackers.

-----

That's three down! Next time, we enter the last shrine and fight for our final job. And unlike the others, we won't have any good cheese strats this time!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 23, 2019

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I really like Winneheld's design there. It's pretty imposing.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
For Nightmare Chimera, it does let you choose any weapon you have in your inventory, not just the ones you have equipped, so you could have some weapons on hand just for that. I'm not actually sure if it lets you use what you have equipped. Still not sure how powerful it actually is compared to other single target skills.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Ah, this fight. With transfer rune + sidestep it's quite relaxing (assuming Tressa doesn't die before setup) but if you don't? Winnehild does NOT gently caress around. She is relentless. It's doable without runelord, but it's hard.

Olberic and H'aanit are definitely the best choices for warmaster but it's not really bad on most people... though I wouldn't make Cyrus one, except for fun I guess. Alfyn as warmaster is the only character with access to every weapon and element in the game at one time (via concoct) but he has to sacrifice his shirt for it.

Nightmare Chimera is just there so you have a weapon toss skill I guess? It only lets you use weapons in the inventory. It is pretty useless you don't even get a really cool animation of you tossing a weapon in the enemy's face.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ratoslov posted:

I really like Winneheld's design there. It's pretty imposing.

Yeah she is my favorite design too. I saved her for last, since I didnt dare to take her on without runelords powers.
Also I am saddened that you didnt show off her ultimate attack though.
But its understandable, because she gets utterly insane afterwards, attacking 6 times in one turn.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Interesting enough, the way I had Cyrus set up, the runes actually made his follow-up to his physical attack do so much more damage than most of his spells. Like putting them into the 10,000 range.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Argent Cinereus posted:

For Nightmare Chimera, it does let you choose any weapon you have in your inventory, not just the ones you have equipped, so you could have some weapons on hand just for that. I'm not actually sure if it lets you use what you have equipped. Still not sure how powerful it actually is compared to other single target skills.

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Nightmare Chimera is just there so you have a weapon toss skill I guess? It only lets you use weapons in the inventory. It is pretty useless you don't even get a really cool animation of you tossing a weapon in the enemy's face.

Didn't know that, thanks! Shows how much I've experimented with that skill.

Went ahead and fixed that in the update.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Runes do damage based on the elem atk of your weapons (plus buffs, plus debuffs on the enemy) and the best staffs you can get at this point have 300 elem atk or more. So bopping the enemy with your wimpy stick becomes more effective than summoning a giant firestorm, go figure.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Fun fact! Warmaster Alfyn is the only character who can hit every weakness

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Okay that Tressa Warmaster sprite is the CUTEST.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So Winneheld is Lady Gilgamesh? Cool.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fun fact, all the gods have masks covering their eyes.

And the warmaster getup includes a black tanktop, although alfyn chooses to go barechested.

edit: no, wait nevermind, that alfyns arm because he is swinging an axe.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
They ran out of material for full shirts once they got to the last few travellers. Therion only got half of one, H'aanit's is only barely staying on.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

grandalt posted:

Interesting enough, the way I had Cyrus set up, the runes actually made his follow-up to his physical attack do so much more damage than most of his spells. Like putting them into the 10,000 range.

Yeah, the runes have an extremely high multiplier to make up for the fact that you can't Boost them. I also get the feeling they were balanced around the assumption you'd build your attackers as P.Atk/E.Atk hybrids if you're using them, but in practice it works better to just go all in on the elemental damage component.

I am a stick
Jan 13, 2019

Chocolate Bunny posted:

They ran out of material for full shirts once they got to the last few travellers. Therion only got half of one, H'aanit's is only barely staying on.

Good Guy Alfyn gave up his undershirt so the rest of the Travelers would have more to wear. He's nice like that. :unsmith:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

This is my new kitty, Aunt Linde.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Mega64 posted:

This...is underwhelming compared to what I'm used to from Concoct. These fights are SP-expensive, especially for Cyrus. 50SP is a drop in the bucket for his exSPenses!

Don't think we didn't see that. :getout:

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
Add me to the Sidestep cheese gang.

Also, I thought the Runelord would be just like it was in the fight, element attacks + ailments. I was disappointed when I read the descriptions, but was in awe at how powerful they actually were.

I ended up having Olberic as the Runelord, for firepower in duels, and Alfyn as Warmaster, for the all weakness thing.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Fun fact! Warmaster Alfyn is the only character who can hit every weakness

Sorcerer Tressa can do that too, can't she?

She has bows and spears naturally, gets staves with Sorcerer, and swords, daggers, and axes with Hired Help. Giving her Sorcerer, of course, lets her use all of the magical elements.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Hey, if big cats count, here's a snow leopard being very majestic.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Hey, if big cats count, here's a snow leopard being very majestic.

"...now what do I do?"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm probably not going to make Alfyn a permanent Warmaster, but since I like this party I decide he can be one for the time being. Since my best weapon is currently a bow, he gets Phoenix Storm.

Our final shrine is in the Flatlands. Since I forgot to re-equip Evasive Maneuvers, you get to see multiple encounters here.

Plains Drakes love lowering your defenses. If only they were smart enough to take advantage of that.

Phoenix Storm looks pretty sweet for a simple diagonal effect.

I debated making these highest-tier Frogkings my avatar before I opted for the lesser-tier two-eye variant. Meanwhile, the Furious Fungoid exists.

Tiger Rage certainly looks cool.

There's a freaking rhino and some mushrooms that like to birth new abominations that will shortly die.

At least this one took slightly less stumbling around to find.

This cave is pretty dull compared to the other shrines.

This is the final job to get in the game. If we can defeat Steorra, it's ours!

Video: Boss - Steorra, Starseer

Enjoy the music, as it'll be the last time we'll get to hear it!

Steorra's signature attack is Shooting Star, an odd magic spell that deals three hits, but one each of Wind, Light, and Dark.

Cyrus retaliates with a three-hit spell of his own that hits with Fire, Fire, and Fire.

Purifying Dust + Essence of Grape heals the party for 3000HP. This is fantastic all the way to the post-game.

Restore Balance is a nasty move, as it both nullifies a character's current buffs (which means Tressa lost her Transfer Rune buff) and blocks new ones. Sidestep's not as important here, but Tressa's offense relied heavily on rune buffs, so she's neutered until it wears off.

Steorra doesn't really have a good cheese strat the way the others do. Instead, I'm going to rely on my new jobs to help me out here.

Cyrus is going to do most of the heavy lifting, especially early on.

Though Alfyn will certainly get his share of damage in. Ophilia and Tressa really need runes to contribute, unfortunately.

Steorra will shift weaknesses after each break. This set-up can be particularly annoying, as it's entirely possible you may not have any sources of Dark damage outside of Soulstones. Which means you unwisely did not bring Alfyn with you.

We have Sorcerer with Aelfric's Auspieces, though, so a single attack from Cyrus breaks Steorra once again.

And guess what finally wore off?

Steorra shuffles weaknesses again, and now has a hefty twelve shields.

She's also weak to fire, and this should help wear that down.

She's also weak to bows, so with my party her time is short.

If you have a rune equipped, the weapon symbols under Attack and your weapon skills will turn the color of that rune. So Rain of Arrows, True Strike, and Arrowstorm will trigger a rune follow-up.

Like so.

I opted to go Dohter's Charity over Phoenix Storm + Fire Rune.

Did I mention Steorra loves doing Shooting Star after every single break?

Dohter's is a bit overkill, but whatever.

With new weaknesses comes some time hunting for those weaknesses.

The single-target SP recovery is a much more respectable 200SP. Dohter's is coming in handy here!

After another break session, Steorra swaps back to the solo-Dark weakness.

Sure, I'll take it.

These boss fights are making me rich.

This time I go Phoenix Storm + Rune.

Also I swapped to Ice at one point since Fire was no longer a weakness.

And it's an Ice Rune follow-up that ends up the killing blow on Steorra. Much easier than I anticipated!

And with that, we've unlocked every job in Octopath Traveler. Sorry, no hidden thirteenth job hidden by the Dark God or anything.

-----

Weapons: Polearms, Daggers
Stats: +15% MaxHP / MaxSP ; +2% PhysAtk/PhysDef/ElemAtk/ElemDef/Evasion

Starseer is certainly the most unique of the four new jobs. While the others focus mostly on damage, Starseer focuses on unique buffs, basically being a Dancer on steroids. Because of their focus relying mostly on buffs, this job works with basically any character, though it slightly favors ElemAtk-heavy characters like Cyrus, Ophilia, and Primrose due to their two attack skills being elemental.

Job Skills

Shooting Stars (35SP) [Wind/Light/Dark] - Deal wind, light, and dark damage to all foes.
Formula: (EA - TED) * 1.06 * (1 + 0.9*BP) ; Hits three times.

It's basically a Sorcerer spell, except instead of one element hitting three times, this deals Wind, then Light, then Dark damage. This means this skill goes with variety over sheer shield-breakage, which can be handy against multiple foes, but against broken foes, this will be as potent as any Sorcerer skill beyond the small stat boost the Sorcerer gets.

BP Boost (25SP) [Buff] - Allow a single ally to gain 2BP per turn for 2 turns.
Formula: (2 + 2*BP) Turns Duration, maximum of nine.

BP is a wonderful resource, and more is always better. It's not as instant as Pomegranates or Concoct, but it also doesn't use resources beyond SP. It can be a bit tricky to work well since you still won't get any BP when boosting during a turn, but if you can give someone (or everyone with Sealicge's Seduction) a bunch of turns with it, this will more than pay for itself.

Divination (25SP) [Buff] - Increase a single ally's critical hit rate for 2 turns.

This doesn't actually increase the chances of the target doing a critical hit. Rather, it guarantees they do a critical hit. This only applies to physical attacks, but otherwise it's a guaranteed extra 25% damage to their attacks (if you ignore their Crit stat and whether they use always-crit skills like True Strike and Amputation). Most of the time, it's a pretty solid add to any physical attacker, but if their Crit stat is already high it may not be as important to throw on a character.

Starsong (25SP) [Buff] - Augment a single ally's physical defense, elemental defense, speed, and evasion for 2 turns.

Basically it adds a ton of defensive buffs at once to one target. It's mostly a bunch of decent-but-not-great buffs that combine together to make a rather great buff to keep your healers or shield-breakers alive. And of course it's beautiful with Sealticge's Seduction.

Celestial Intervention (25SP) [Buff/Debuff] - For 2 turns, render a single foe unable to receive attribute augmentations, or a single ally immune to attribute penalties.

The rare skill that can target allies or enemies (for all I know, it's the only skill in the game to do so since Bewildering Grace is technically self-target). It either blocks stat buffs for enemies, or stat debuffs for allies. A situational skill, but a really nice one when you need it. Also, Sealticge's Seduction will target all allies and enemies and give the normal de/buffs for each, so it really shines if you have a Dancer.

Etheral Healing (30SP) [Buff] - Grant HP regeneration to all allies for 2 turns.

Gives the HP Regen buff, recovering 10% Max HP per turn. The only real bad skill for the Starseer, as this doesn't stack with skills or equipment that gives HP Regen. The issue is that at this point of the game, foes are going to hit hard, and 10% of your Max HP a round will not cut it when a basic Heal Wounds spell should be recovering at least 50% of your Max HP, and a freaking Healing Grape Bunch around 20%. Big, instant heals are significantly more useful at this stage of the game than gradual, long-lasting healing, so this isn't really worth the cost.

Moon's Reflection (30SP) [Buff] - Grant a single ally the ability to counter physical damage one time.
Formula: (1 + 1*BP) stacks, maximum of nine.

Unlike Reflective Veil, this will not nullify incoming damage. Regular attacks are weak, so by itself this isn't that great a skill. However, it can be handy for breaking shields, and it becomes surprisingly useful if you're using this with runes, as suddenly the damage being countered ends up in the thousands instead of the hundreds. Takes some work, but can be quite strong if you prepare around it.

Steorra's Prophecy (50SP) [NonElem] - [Divine Skill] Unleash an elemental attack on all foes that deals damage proportional to the party's current BP.
Formula: (EA - TED) * 5 * (1 + 0.2*PartyBP)

It only factors in the party's BP after you spend the BP required for this skill, so you'll only have a maximum of 17BP available. This does mean this won't be as powerful as Balogar's Blade from Runelord (though the "target-all" aspect helps it), but if you have enough BP available it should more than suffice. Its only big knock beyond requiring you to save up BP is that it only deals one hit (as the multiple hits from Balogar and from Winnehild's Battle Cry can really add up), but otherwise it's as solid a damage Divine Skill that you can ask for.

-----

Support Skills

Hard Worker - Gain additional JP after battles. (Equipping this skill with multiple characters will have no added effect.)

It's a 50% boost to JP. It's surprisingly nice at this stage of the game, as suddenly you have four new jobs that have very expensive skills to buy. Should be handy for non-boss encounters for the duration of the game.

Boost-Start - Gain an additional 1 BP at the start of battle.

Bad for bosses, but fantastic for random encounters. Also great for grinding in general. Basically the shorter you plan the fight to be, the better this skill gets.

BP Eater - Boosted skills performed by the equipping character deal additional damage.

This lets skills (but not normal attacks) do 50% more damage if they're boosted at all, which...you generally want to do with your damage skills anyway. Almost a no-brainer for your main damage-dealers, probably one of the best offensive passives you can have.

Divine Aura - The equipping character gains a 25% chance of nullifying any damage taken.

This certainly isn't a bad skill, it's more that it's not quite enough compared to all the competition it has for its current slot. If you're missing something for a healer, this is certainly a great skill to have for them, but otherwise it's barely too weak to be in the conversation for end-game passives. Which, considering this is probably the Starseer's weakest support skill, speaks to how strong the Starseer's Support Skills are in general.

-----

We're done! We have all the jobs, we've explored enough, it's time.

Next time, the beginning of the end as we tackle Cyrus's Chapter 4 and try to finish his story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008