Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

So my wife is getting prepped for a C-section. Not emergency, baby's at term and all, will be a few hours before they actually do it so we're just sitting and waiting.

Holy gently caress I'm but ready for #2.

congrats!

name it Fiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

So my wife is getting prepped for a C-section. Not emergency, baby's at term and all, will be a few hours before they actually do it so we're just sitting and waiting.

Congrats!

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
All the other guys in my field where I work are making over $100k but I'm brand new and fresh out of school so obviously I'm not making that much. What I'm making does feel like an insane amount of money compared to my factory salary though. Like at this point $100k salary in the middle of nowhere Tennessee just feels like overkill.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

All the other guys in my field where I work are making over $100k but I'm brand new and fresh out of school so obviously I'm not making that much. What I'm making does feel like an insane amount of money compared to my factory salary though. Like at this point $100k salary in the middle of nowhere Tennessee just feels like overkill.

come to nkoxville and get me drunk then

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Well boys I did it. John Wick Monday night, John Wick 2 last night, tonight the wife and I are off to see #3.

It might not seem like that great of an accomplishment but the dad's here will understand the uphill battle I was up against. 3 movies in 3 nights with a 5 and 9 year old.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

come to nkoxville and get me drunk then

Lol yeah that's where I'm working now but I still live an hour away in tiny little Morristown

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

Lol yeah that's where I'm working now but I still live an hour away in tiny little Morristown

what is there that pays well in this poo poo town are you selling drugs

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

what is there that pays well in this poo poo town are you selling drugs

Well I'm a system integrator but the place I work for is mostly electrical engineers. I just got really lucky, the guy that got me on there was contracted for some work at the factory I was at and a spot opened up right around the time I graduated.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Congrats on the sex.

wandler20 posted:

Well boys I did it. John Wick Monday night, John Wick 2 last night, tonight the wife and I are off to see #3.

It might not seem like that great of an accomplishment but the dad's here will understand the uphill battle I was up against. 3 movies in 3 nights with a 5 and 9 year old.

Yeah, I feel this. We have a 4-year-old and can only catch a movie when my wife's folks come up to visit and are willing to babysit for a couple of hours. We ended up watching Endgame separately when she took a day off from work.

On that note I'll never hit six figures but married a lady who hit that mark a few years ago and I have no idea why she's still married to me :ssh: but I did spend the last decade hovering around $13/hr before deciding I may as well became a stay-at-home parent when my back and knees began disintegrating! :shepface:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I completely missed the British politician who's under fire for saying he wouldn't even rape a female politician.

quote:

Carl Benjamin, who is also standing for the party in southwest England, tweeted to the Birmingham Yardley MP in 2016 saying "I wouldn’t even rape you" – a remark that appeared to equate sexual violence with a compliment. Benjamin reiterated the claim in a video on his YouTube channel in April, saying: "There’s been an awful lot of talk about whether I would or wouldn’t rape Jess Phillips. I suppose with enough pressure I might cave, but let’s be honest nobody’s got that much beer."

I remember once thinking of the politicians over there as stuffy and just kind of sarcastically funny in a mostly benign way, nice to see they're just like ours.

e: Oh he's just running I guess:

quote:

Carl Benjamin (born c. 1979) is a British political commentator, anti-feminist, polemicist and YouTuber with the online pseudonym Sargon of Akkad. He is a UK Independence Party (UKIP) candidate for the European Parliament's South West England constituency in the 2019 election

Quite the resume there in that first sentence. Haha, holy poo poo this guy is perfectly on brand for himself:

quote:

Benjamin's YouTube channel first drew attention during the Gamergate controversy in 2014.[3][4] According to Inside Higher Ed, his videos on the topic advanced a conspiracy theory in which he argued that members of the Digital Games Research Association (DiGRA) were actively plotting to influence video game development, saying that DiGRA "became co-opted by feminists to become a think tank by which gender ideologues can disseminate their ideology to the gaming press and ultimately to gamers."

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 23, 2019

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I have carpenters that do nothing but prevailing rate jobs (which is often higher than journeyman rate), and they crush 6 figures every year.

Journeyman fitters in the Chicago area make $51 on the check, plus another $23 in fringes. A steady union fitter makes a lot of money. The bad part is that it’s a demanding job, is hard on your body, and working conditions can sometimes suck. The good part is you make good money and get a good pension and could possibly retire in your 40s if you started right out of high school.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Journeyman fitters in the Chicago area make $51 on the check, plus another $23 in fringes. A steady union fitter makes a lot of money. The bad part is that it’s a demanding job, is hard on your body, and working conditions can sometimes suck. The good part is you make good money and get a good pension and could possibly retire in your 40s if you started right out of high school.

Yeah, steamfitters and elevator guys are kinda unique in that they almost never work anything other than heavy commercial or industrial jobs, so they aren't subject to varied rates that say, painters, carpenters and electricians have to deal with. There's a significant increase on the check for federally funded work (prevailing rate) or even from residential to commercial or industrial work, though the fringes always stay the same. Pretty much all of the trades pay rates are within a few dollars of each other, but some unions have better fringes than others. Like, you wouldn't think it, but the painter's union has incredible medical because they all die within a couple years after retirement.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

It's definitely overkill but being able to pitch a fair amount of money to local orgs and tipping local waitstaff super well consistently is good poo poo

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Like, you wouldn't think it, but the painter's union has incredible medical because they all die within a couple years after retirement.

I'm imagining a wide-ranging ancient conspiracy against painters where they all die before giving up their secrets

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SundayMoney posted:

Shreveport is about 2 1/2 hours from where I used to live. If you wanted to go to a "big" city, that was the closest.

I am driving past Tallulah right now.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Unions rule

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I wish it were something that cool, it's from a career of being exposed to heavy metals and solvents. Bridge painters have it especially bad bc lead paint is still the best technology for painting bridges.

e: they make like $70 an hour on the check tho

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Things you get to do as an adult: get whiskey drunk and go check the deck furniture for wasps.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

hell yes

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

:agreed:

Never had a job with a union but my mother is a union steward and I'll shank anyone who wants to start poo poo about unions.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Quiet Feet posted:

Things you get to do as an adult: get whiskey drunk and go check the deck furniture for wasps.

That sounds like a hell of a night.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
My job is weird because there’s a lot of internal fiefdoms in the organizational structure, so some pieces are union and some are not. Even though we are all in the same public entity.

I asked the department director about getting my position union and they passed me on to HR. Which is better than a flat out no :)

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

CannonFodder posted:

I am driving past Tallulah right now.

First of all my condolences on having to drive that area even though I've seen you make references to I-20 in a few of your posts. If I was still living there I would say let me buy you a drink but I moved back in December to Louisville KY.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
My mom helped start a union for custodial staff at my old school district which successfully got everyone paid nearly twice as much. It's still around about 12ish years later which is p rad

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had a beer and a burrito. the burrito was dope.

i feel like chipotle has been around in arizona for at least a decade now? long enough for me that i don't remember mexican food before it. anyways, i appreciate chipotle for popularizing the 'make it the way you want it' style of mexican food. i'm not a huge fan of their food, my thoughts are similar to how i can still appreciate a mcdonalds big mac, but being able to have some kind of franken-whatever style of food you are having is cool.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i like chipotle because if you go when they're busy you can just deny you had triple meat and they wont' think twice

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

i like chipotle because if you go when they're busy you can just deny you had triple meat and they wont' think twice

lmao. i haven't been to one in ages but i think the only grift i'd be morally fine with working is the half and half trick where they give you at least a full scoop of whatever you say first

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Quiet Feet posted:

I did that the other night, but with eaves of the house. And by check I mean I popped corners off and just sprayed wildly any time I heard a slight noise.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Wonder how long it'll be before someone tries to chase a tornado with a AR/VR camera hooked up :thunk:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

John Wick 3 was...okay.

Like it had some great sequences but a lot of the new assassin stuff they revealed fell flat for me.

Also we don’t need another movie. This should have been wrapped up as a trilogy.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

hifi posted:

i had a beer and a burrito. the burrito was dope.

i feel like chipotle has been around in arizona for at least a decade now? long enough for me that i don't remember mexican food before it. anyways, i appreciate chipotle for popularizing the 'make it the way you want it' style of mexican food. i'm not a huge fan of their food, my thoughts are similar to how i can still appreciate a mcdonalds big mac, but being able to have some kind of franken-whatever style of food you are having is cool.

You know the rule about burritos in this thread, hifi.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Chipotle is no good anymore I dunno what corners they cut but I have no desire to go anymore. Freebirds is my new hotness and I'm checking out Qdoba in June when I go to Colorado

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Spoeank posted:

Chipotle is no good anymore I dunno what corners they cut but I have no desire to go anymore. Freebirds is my new hotness and I'm checking out Qdoba in June when I go to Colorado

qdoba is the jaaaaaaaaam

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Qdoba betrayed me by removing their mole sauce and replacing it with some trendy chipotle mediocrity

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Its Rinaldo posted:

Qdoba betrayed me by removing their mole sauce and replacing it with some trendy chipotle mediocrity

we only make peace with out enemies.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I just go to my local tacquerias cause they're way better than Chipotle, and often cheaper

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Qdoba headquarters is here but there are no Qdobas.

I want to try it

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

we only make peace with out enemies.

Pancheros has better burritos, though, because of the tortillas

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Glumslinger posted:

I just go to my local tacquerias cause they're way better than Chipotle, and often cheaper

Yeah, I’ve never been to a Chipotle or Qdoba or what have you, it’s not because I’m a snob, but why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
lol I got food poisoning from a local taqueria so bad it wiped out my gut bacteria and it made me think I developed diabetes. It took me almost a year to get it back to nornal so I'm gonna stick with corporate bullshit