Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know if Abaddon ever said it outright, but the seven deadly sins bit has always been just a loose aesthetic; their big character themes are far more around the word of Royalty. Mottom and Mammon were both chained by the words of Glory and Tower respectively; that was the whole thing keeping them back. No doubt the others are similar.

Solomon David's word is Diamond, but I don't know if there's been any discourse on what that actually means. I would guess it's some kind of flawlessness, and his weakness would be his inability to ever take a loss - look at all the earlier discussion about the fight against him being very much unfair even before power levels come into it. Which, to be fair, is pretty much pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If anything, she seems to have freed Mammon from greed and Mottom from gluttony, at least for now.

Allison unintentionally helps the demiurges overcome their flaws, letting them become Royal at which point they come to a Fundamental Realization and just sort of wander off into the distance forever

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a diamond is nearly unscratchable, and shattered by a simple sharp force from the wrong angle

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Who What Now posted:

Say what you want about Hitler Solomon but be made the trains Magus Gates run on time

Its relative.
WELL DONE YOURE NOT A....*checks notes*.....complete fuckup??????

Tenebrais posted:

I don't know if Abaddon ever said it outright, but the seven deadly sins bit has always been just a loose aesthetic; their big character themes are far more around the word of Royalty. Mottom and Mammon were both chained by the words of Glory and Tower respectively; that was the whole thing keeping them back. No doubt the others are similar.

Solomon David's word is Diamond, but I don't know if there's been any discourse on what that actually means. I would guess it's some kind of flawlessness, and his weakness would be his inability to ever take a loss - look at all the earlier discussion about the fight against him being very much unfair even before power levels come into it. Which, to be fair, is pretty much pride.

Abaddon may be going for a two-sides-of-the-same-coin type of allegory, that you need to be a selfish prick to be capital R royalty.
Especially considering that paragons of virtue in the lore stories rarely go unpunished for their purity.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Tenebrais posted:

I don't know if Abaddon ever said it outright, but the seven deadly sins bit has always been just a loose aesthetic;

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/709653396857327616

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wasn't Zaid's scene with Solomon before the training montage? It's been a whole year and who knows what Solomon's had him doing, probably not just sat around the palace twirling his thumbs, I bet he's bee taught poo poo.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

he's super buff now, and that's it

no martial arts bullshit, he's just very firm

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'd be surprised. The hostage given a life of luxury but not allowed to leave or do anything is pretty classic.

Tenebrais posted:

Becoming utterly unstoppable in hand to hand combat and then declaring that only someone able to beat you in a duel is worthy to succeed you so you can finally move on, is pretty on the nose.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

no he's like several beefcakes glued together, just an upturned mound of muscle without the faintest idea what to do with it all

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Every other guy in Solomon's empire is swole as gently caress.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tenebrais posted:

Diamonds are the hardest but very brittle and prone to shattering

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Incubus has fire right? Always gotta feed the flames, gotta run to stay in place.

Jagganoth I think has mind, and look how he's been locked into a path by thinking about poo poo so much

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Incubus has fire right? Always gotta feed the flames, gotta run to stay in place.

Jagganoth I think has mind, and look how he's been locked into a path by thinking about poo poo so much

Jagganoth is one of the great conservative thinkers of his time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Demiurge4 posted:

Jagganoth is one of the great conservative thinkers of his time.

Damning with faint praise

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Everyone trying to rank Dems on qabbalistic power is sleeping on Williamson.

I mean she's one of 400 candidates but she's also One.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its relative.

here lies Solomon David
I suppose he hosed up somewhat less than he could have

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Paramemetic posted:

Everyone trying to rank Dems on qabbalistic power is sleeping on Williamson.

I mean she's one of 400 candidates but she's also One.

Williamson impresses me more as a psionicist

Jag's very forward thinking though. All the way to the end you could say

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its relative.

Abaddon may be going for a two-sides-of-the-same-coin type of allegory, that you need to be a selfish prick to be capital R royalty.
Especially considering that paragons of virtue in the lore stories rarely go unpunished for their purity.

Aesma is fairly pure in her furious stupidity.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Diamonds are the hardest but very brittle and prone to shattering

Also, they can and do burn

(Being no more than neatly ordered carbon, if you apply pure oxygen and a blowtorch, they burn directly into CO2)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Diamond is also, uh, useless outside of specific applications. It's reject rock that's all shiny and not as rare as one thinks; the rarity and fanciness and classiness are enforced by people having a vested image in a specific sign and signifier.

Which, well, fits his dramatic man-pain "daddy's burden" god tyrant rear end.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
allison's gonna say "who do you think you are, my dad"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hostile V posted:

Diamond is also, uh, useless outside of specific applications. It's reject rock that's all shiny and not as rare as one thinks; the rarity and fanciness and classiness are enforced by people having a vested image in a specific sign and signifier.

i take it you refer obliquely here to the constructive utility of sick worldbreaking martial arts skills

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i liked this one comment from Gog-Agog's intro page:

quote:

YS ATUN VRAMA PRESH
The secret name of God is I.

What one grasps of the Word grants one power. Not Royalty, perhaps. But close enough to see it, and covet it.

Consider the Tower; high, invincible, and indistinguishable from the tomb.
Consider Glory, beautiful and fleeting.
Consider Diamond; shining prisoner of its own perfection.
Consider Flame; bright, ravenous, and mindless.

Consider now the Prelate of BEAST, and meditate on the seven-part name of God.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tollymain posted:

i take it you refer obliquely here to the constructive utility of sick worldbreaking martial arts skills
Yeah for one thing but like statistically and empirically: how many god drat sad dads did the Throne War make. How many dads lost their farms, their kids, their wives. How many dads learned the blade or the punch or the dance-fighting or the gun. How many dads declared vengeance. How many dads tried to carry out that vengeance. How many dads took their surviving kids and loved ones on a forced death march (or agreed-upon death march of familial bonding) of vengeance. How many dads lost everything except the memories or some other keepsakes and the urge to go forward and get even.

A lot. Citation: general statistics and scope of a multiversal blood war.

But! How many sad moms? How many sad daughters and sons? How many sad orphans? How many only children, or adopted kids, or bastards? How many grandparents? How many aunts and uncles? How many retail workers, how many stockbrokers, how many kings, how many janitors, how many people lost it all. How many are dead now? How many are still alive? How many healed and moved on, how many wake up clutching their sheets and dripping with sweat from night terrors, how many were sheltered from the terrors, how many were exposed to far too many?

Solomon David, statistically, is only different from them by being a statistical outlier. Learned the exact wrong lessons from a forbidden martial arts technique. Leveraged that into big fancy career as a multiversal tyrant who has the good sense to kiss you and smile as he fucks you. Real good of him to pull yourself up by your sandal-straps my dude. He didn't learn poo poo. He isn't poo poo. He isn't special. How many other people suffered in the same way he did and didn't become him? How many don't define their lives by their dead families and Daddy's Burden? This ain't an uncommon trauma, this is a notable and measurable sociological phenomenon! The ones who did tend to be dead now or worse off than him but as deluded as him, Men Who Would Be King screaming at the world from their lawn-chairs as they demand vengeance and blood and retribution because you can't quit your lovely 9-5 job stocking boxes in a megamart to go off and wield a sword.

Behold the diamond. An exceptional carat, an exceptional size. The biggest of this breed that one may ever see. Notable only for his size and the deluded intensity with which he shines from a little polishing. Glorious may he reign from his gilded throne, inflexible and useless and impotent compared to the smaller ones of the same heritage and history as him. They may be drill bits, they may be used for optics, but that's a noble and good purpose, a stoic and solid and needed duty. Some may still languish in the dirt, but they're still considered valuable enough for people to kill and be killed over them, work children to death to harness them, manipulate markets to make a profit off them. All the world's biggest diamonds are good for is a novelty, sitting on a pillow under bright lights, unable to be touched or approached or used. A paperweight fit for a tyrant. A suitable epitaph.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Who What Now posted:

Yo what does this have to do with K6BD? And if the answer is "nothing", then kindly shut the gently caress up, please and thank you.
Well after how fast that tangent took a turn for the skull calipers, I imagine that K6BD follows the tire iron school of phrenology.

Hostile V posted:

Behold the diamond. An exceptional carat, an exceptional size. The biggest of this breed that one may ever see. Notable only for his size and the deluded intensity with which he shines from a little polishing. Glorious may he reign from his gilded throne, inflexible and useless and impotent compared to the smaller ones of the same heritage and history as him.
:sbahj:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Gog-Agog is going to have an actual explosion when she finds out her clever plan is just a copy of Incubus' significantly more clever plan regarding Allison.

Also, I don't think Solomon David has anything in common with PL CYOA's Enkidel except being both muscular and dark-skinned, so, I'm not sure that 'Evil Enkidel' is a great nickname? If anything he's more like Tudiya.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The joke is he's the player character if they became a raging jackass obsessed purely with ruling and stability as means to the end.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Hostile V posted:

But! How many sad worms?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hostile V posted:

Yeah for one thing but like statistically and empirically: how many god drat sad dads did the Throne War make. How many dads lost their farms, their kids, their wives. How many dads learned the blade or the punch or the dance-fighting or the gun. How many dads declared vengeance. How many dads tried to carry out that vengeance. How many dads took their surviving kids and loved ones on a forced death march (or agreed-upon death march of familial bonding) of vengeance. How many dads lost everything except the memories or some other keepsakes and the urge to go forward and get even.

A lot. Citation: general statistics and scope of a multiversal blood war.

But! How many sad moms? How many sad daughters and sons? How many sad orphans? How many only children, or adopted kids, or bastards? How many grandparents? How many aunts and uncles? How many retail workers, how many stockbrokers, how many kings, how many janitors, how many people lost it all. How many are dead now? How many are still alive? How many healed and moved on, how many wake up clutching their sheets and dripping with sweat from night terrors, how many were sheltered from the terrors, how many were exposed to far too many?

Solomon David, statistically, is only different from them by being a statistical outlier. Learned the exact wrong lessons from a forbidden martial arts technique. Leveraged that into big fancy career as a multiversal tyrant who has the good sense to kiss you and smile as he fucks you. Real good of him to pull yourself up by your sandal-straps my dude. He didn't learn poo poo. He isn't poo poo. He isn't special. How many other people suffered in the same way he did and didn't become him? How many don't define their lives by their dead families and Daddy's Burden? This ain't an uncommon trauma, this is a notable and measurable sociological phenomenon! The ones who did tend to be dead now or worse off than him but as deluded as him, Men Who Would Be King screaming at the world from their lawn-chairs as they demand vengeance and blood and retribution because you can't quit your lovely 9-5 job stocking boxes in a megamart to go off and wield a sword.

Behold the diamond. An exceptional carat, an exceptional size. The biggest of this breed that one may ever see. Notable only for his size and the deluded intensity with which he shines from a little polishing. Glorious may he reign from his gilded throne, inflexible and useless and impotent compared to the smaller ones of the same heritage and history as him. They may be drill bits, they may be used for optics, but that's a noble and good purpose, a stoic and solid and needed duty. Some may still languish in the dirt, but they're still considered valuable enough for people to kill and be killed over them, work children to death to harness them, manipulate markets to make a profit off them. All the world's biggest diamonds are good for is a novelty, sitting on a pillow under bright lights, unable to be touched or approached or used. A paperweight fit for a tyrant. A suitable epitaph.

good post and i agree

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Likely equal to or more than all the worms who were very full of carrion and pretty stoked for the buffet and population boom.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder what exactly stops gog from just worming everybody in throne secretly

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Well where's the fun in that?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Tollymain posted:

i wonder what exactly stops gog from just worming everybody in throne secretly

Who says they haven't tried?

Every so often people will pull up a spoonful of cereal but... oop! Worm!

Dump out your bowl and give a playful wag of your finger at Gog-Agog who's snickering by the window and shrugs, "Oh well!"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look im just saying i dont associate gog w good impulse control

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think there's an implication that you need to do it on purpose, which I like. I really dislike forced hive mind poo poo in stories - unless the metaphor is tightly wound it's both viscerally unpleasant and totally narratively uninteresting because it erases character motivations rather than complicating them.

Gog seems to need consent, even if you don't know what you're getting into.

Or she can just eat you and create a worm golem mimic I guess, that probably works too, but isn't really 'worming' people so much as 'peopling' Worms.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I wonder if Solomon has another facet that we will uncover in time or if this is genuinely it. He openly says he's a tyrant and takes over work from a people who were already ahead of their schedule. Does he do these things as propaganda or does he believe this is something he just needs to do as a ruler?

Tourney might be dope! I say "might" because Allison is good at crashing parties so it might turn into something else entirely.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
David appears to believe that he needs to do everything, and has constructed his (very good) empire around his necessity at the center, even as he claims to look for a way out of it. He needs to make the final decisions, he needs to do the heavy lifting, he needs to bear the burdens no one else can.

The downside here is if Allison "helps" David the same way as he helped the other demiurges so far, it's not going to necessarily turn out well for Solomon's subjects.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

"YOU'RE NOT PLAYING IT RIGHT" Solomon says as he takes the controller back

Discendo Vox posted:

The downside here is if Allison "helps" David the same way as he helped the other demiurges so far, it's not going to necessarily turn out well for Solomon's subjects.
WELCOME PURSUER
GREAT LEADER HAS DIED
CELESTIAL EMPIRE MUST FALL

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Gog-Agog is going to have an actual explosion when she finds out her clever plan is just a copy of Incubus' significantly more clever plan regarding Allison.

Also, I don't think Solomon David has anything in common with PL CYOA's Enkidel except being both muscular and dark-skinned, so, I'm not sure that 'Evil Enkidel' is a great nickname? If anything he's more like Tudiya.

Gog-Agog is going to be pissed when Allison slaps a drop of blood out of Solomon, demands he turn over Zaid and just leaves without doing anything further.

It’s still going to destroy Solomon because if you make a god bleed, nobody will believe I him anymore.