Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

HotBobaloo posted:

Finally got my rad/bio brute to 50 and unlocked his alpha. Is there a recommended one? Should I just do musculature for damage? Or the end reduction one?

If you smash face, Musculature.
If you have end problems, Cardiac.
For everyone else, Spiritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Any way to fix my character changing height with costumes? Do I need to visit an actual tailor?

Edit: yes I do

Emo Szyslak fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 23, 2019

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Knockout punch is so satisfying. The little windup is perfect.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

edit: I didn't even think of my avatar text when I did this.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Gynovore posted:

If you smash face, Musculature.
If you have end problems, Cardiac.
For everyone else, Spiritual.

I though musculature was generally poor value for brutes specifically, since they have low base ability damage but a big native +damage modifier from fury? It might still be worth it if you don't care about anything else but the relative value in +damage is considerably less for them than pretty much anyone else, in any case.

I'd go agility for rad/bio. Endmod and recharge are always good and the defense boost should pair well with bio armor. Spiritual is also a really good option, especially if you're defcapped without agility.

Remember to try to use shards and not threads to make alpha slot enhancements unless you're in a hurry. You'll want the threads for other slots.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Kaysette posted:

Knockout punch is so satisfying. The little windup is perfect.

I was between SJ and SS but remembered the windup, and I was making a big old robot so

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Who said staff is less than satisfying? Im cleaning up with Mat Cauthin! It's so much fun!

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Do the Fighting pool attacks cause weapon redraw? I know the basic Brawl attack doesn't make you put your gun/axe/whatever away.

I've no concrete plans to actually use a Fighting attack as part of my chain on any of my alts, but I know it would rub me the wrong way if my Scrapper had to put the axe away when I try to use Kick because it doesn't really make sense.

Edit: Admittedly somewhat moot question since I set my Axe set to No Redraw, although sometimes it bugs out when I attack without weapon in hand. The attack happens, but the animation doesn't play, it merely makes the axe appear in hand.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 23, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Xerophyte posted:

I though musculature was generally poor value for brutes specifically, since they have low base ability damage but a big native +damage modifier from fury? It might still be worth it if you don't care about anything else but the relative value in +damage is considerably less for them than pretty much anyone else, in any case.

Brutes have a damage cap of 775%. Players *can* hit the cap, but it's not easy. Even with hefty enhancement bonuses and Musculature and full Fury, you still have to have to hit your build up power and have four teammates running Assault and eat five large reds. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a teensy bit, but seriously, you need to really work to get near the Brute damage cap.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So the PPM thing with ATOs...if my stalker set proc has 4PPM and I put it in AS which has a 15 second recharge will it proc every time? Should you generally try to stick set procs in long cooldown powers? I read the wiki page and I didn't quite understand it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

HotBobaloo posted:

Finally got my rad/bio brute to 50 and unlocked his alpha. Is there a recommended one? Should I just do musculature for damage? Or the end reduction one?

I'm running the same combination and the answer is far and away Spiritual.

Looking at the other options real quick, though:

Musculature is decent, but again, Brutes have lower base damage (0.75 versus a Scrapper's 1.125 or a Stalker's 1) which means the multiplier from enhancing a power (and the Alpha is just a virtual enhancement) isn't as potent. Brutes make up the difference with Fury, which you can't enhance at all. Plus, you're not getting much benefit from Musculature's other effects. Defense debuffs are negligible, and neither set has an immobilize. The radial path is even less applicable. Damage is always good, but for a Brute, you typically have better options.

Agility seems decent at a glance, but /Bio isn't going to have endurance problems. Even running Offensive Adapation, you can nearly cap your recovery rate off of a full DNA Siphon. You can definitely cap it off of Parasitic Aura. For the defense boost, you'll only realistically get 3-4% of extra defense at the tippy top with it. The recharge is nice, but Spiritual gives you more.

Spiritual is just really well suited for it. Bio Armor has 3 click powers with decently long recharges that you want back faster. Brutes benefit from attacking faster with more Fury. Everyone can benefit from getting perma-Hasten. The healing bonus winds up boosting your Max HP, the healing from Radiation Siphon, the regen from your two auto powers, and the healing/regen from all 3 of those click powers. You even get a (marginal) benefit from the stun duration in Atom Smasher and Devastating Blow.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Gynovore posted:

Brutes have a damage cap of 775%. Players *can* hit the cap, but it's not easy. Even with hefty enhancement bonuses and Musculature and full Fury, you still have to have to hit your build up power and have four teammates running Assault and eat five large reds. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a teensy bit, but seriously, you need to really work to get near the Brute damage cap.

Sure, but it's not about hitting the cap, it's about relative value. A Brute has low base ability damage that's compensated with a mostly constant damage buff from Fury. That decreases the relative value of getting another +35% damage (or whatever musculature actually works out to in your slotting) versus other possible buffs compared to an archetype like scrapper with high base ability values and no innate +damage. Musculature doesn't really give you anything other than +damage, either.

If you don't have any need for recharge, endurance or defenses and really only want maximum damage output then it might still be worth it, but Brutes are the archetype for which that's least likely to be true.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Hakarne posted:

So the PPM thing with ATOs...if my stalker set proc has 4PPM and I put it in AS which has a 15 second recharge will it proc every time? Should you generally try to stick set procs in long cooldown powers? I read the wiki page and I didn't quite understand it.

It'd be pretty close to every time. The chance to Hide proc goes perfectly in Assassin's Strike, and the chance to recharge Build Up proc would be best suited in another longer recharging attack.

Generally speaking, the idea is that no matter what you throw it in, it should go off about that many times per minute. Or to summarize their weird formula rules:

Things that benefit proc chances: long cast times, long recharges, low number of targets hit, low enhanced recharge (this counts the Alpha slot).

The other important note is that global recharge effects don't count against proc chances. So things like Hasten, IO set bonuses, Speed Boost, Accelerate Metabolism, etc., all work heavily in your favor. To use a quick example of Why This Matters, take Gaussian's Chance for Build-Up, which has 1 proc per minute, and put it in Build Up. If you enhance it mildly, Build Up goes from a 1m30s recharge to 1m. With a bunch of global recharge effects from IOs and Hasten, you can reasonably get it down to 30s, but the system will still treat it like it's at 1m. So, every time you hit Build Up, you have a very near 100% chance for the proc to go off, giving you a consistent double build up.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I appreciate that if you pick up Ricochet as a contact in Praetoria, the very first step in mission 1 is finding somebody else to explain just what the hell it is she asked you to do.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It'd be pretty close to every time. The chance to Hide proc goes perfectly in Assassin's Strike, and the chance to recharge Build Up proc would be best suited in another longer recharging attack.

Generally speaking, the idea is that no matter what you throw it in, it should go off about that many times per minute. Or to summarize their weird formula rules:

Things that benefit proc chances: long cast times, long recharges, low number of targets hit, low enhanced recharge (this counts the Alpha slot).

The other important note is that global recharge effects don't count against proc chances. So things like Hasten, IO set bonuses, Speed Boost, Accelerate Metabolism, etc., all work heavily in your favor. To use a quick example of Why This Matters, take Gaussian's Chance for Build-Up, which has 1 proc per minute, and put it in Build Up. If you enhance it mildly, Build Up goes from a 1m30s recharge to 1m. With a bunch of global recharge effects from IOs and Hasten, you can reasonably get it down to 30s, but the system will still treat it like it's at 1m. So, every time you hit Build Up, you have a very near 100% chance for the proc to go off, giving you a consistent double build up.

That makes a lot more sense, you should write the wiki. :v: Thanks!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Preliminary trip report on the Dual Pistols/Ninja/Fighting Sentinel: Boxing recharges real fast, so it's nice to be able to cycle through my first two powers plus that in quick succession, but I've come to the realization that Power Pool powers don't build up the Sentinel meter any and are as such kind of a bad idea in the long run. Oddly, they generate healing if you use them with a defensive opportunity, but don't trigger bonus damage off the offensive opportunity.

Only level 9 so I might remake it as Pistols/Regeneration and pretend I'm playing a low-rent Deadpool, since the costume is already halfway there (more Agent X than Deadpool, really, but Agent X is a low-rent Deadpool so whatever).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone have any ideas/suggestion for which powerset would benefit the most from the Fighting pool attacks?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anyone have any ideas/suggestion for which powerset would benefit the most from the Fighting pool attacks?

Trouble with the Fighting powers is anyone with high melee damage already has their own melee attacks to use.

If you were really determined though, any flavor of Controller should get a lot of extra mileage out of them with Containment. Hitting enemies who are under CC deals double damage, so they could be a helpful source of damage before you get your ancillary pool. For a specific set, Dark Control lowers your enemy's accuracy to keep you from getting hosed up. Plus, it has a PBAoE that you'll need to be in melee for anyway.

e: this is probably a better idea vvv

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 23, 2019

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

im taking Boxing or Kick/Tough/Weave for jsut about any armor set for that extra defense. Cross Punch works as a replacement in like super strength from Punch, to gain a relatively fast and ealy AoE for super strength, or for an AoE for Martial Arts.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Whoa I didn't even notice that Cross Punch was AOE. Good suggestions, both.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I keep going to make a dual blades guy (because broadsword animations are borrrinnnng), but drat this combo system looks intimidating. Any tips/tricks?

The trick to Dual Blades is that you can completely ignore the combos because the set is more effective if you don't bother trying to do them.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Re: Cross Punch Chat

Does the recharge you get from taking boxing/kick only apply to Cross Punch or are you getting reduced global recharge every time you Cross Punch? I've been using it on my TW/Ninja scrapper after all my momentum combos and/or to finish stragglers since it's nice to have a decent attack without the TW windup.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Everslain posted:

Re: Cross Punch Chat

Does the recharge you get from taking boxing/kick only apply to Cross Punch or are you getting reduced global recharge every time you Cross Punch? I've been using it on my TW/Ninja scrapper after all my momentum combos and/or to finish stragglers since it's nice to have a decent attack without the TW windup.

It's a global recharge buff.
However, it's not actually a 100% recharge time bonus like it says in its details.
It's a 10% recharge time bonus according to how it modifies my stats.
You can track Recharge Time Bonus to make it more apparent.

At least it's 10% on my Beasts/Time Mastermind.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I will never not be amazed at how putting 1/4th if the way up boob slider somehow gives you D cups in this game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Most common superpower.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Can I reduce the time it takes for hide to kick back in after combat with recharge enhancements?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm an energy melee brute who swapped a couple EM attacks for Punch, Kick, and Cross-Punch about a month ago. The recharge on those powers are fantastic, and I use all three on a constant rotation along with some of the EM heavy hitters.

Cross Punch is an AoE, but it's almost impossible to use it as such. It's such a narrow and shallow cone, and requires you to set up the enemies just so, because you will never hit multiple dudes with the way the AI swarms you generally. But its damage, end. use, and recharge are so good that I just use it as a single target attack. Cool animation too, looks and feels like a powerful blow.

I do wish Kick had alternative animations, I almost feel embarrassed watching my tough guy brute push people's knees with his foot when all my other attacks feel so meaty.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Roach Warehouse posted:

I keep going to make a dual blades guy (because broadsword animations are borrrinnnng), but drat this combo system looks intimidating. Any tips/tricks?

Skip nimble slash, vengeful slice, and one thousand cuts. Don't use combos, now enjoy the highest dps set that nobody knows about.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

ClassH posted:

Skip nimble slash, vengeful slice, and one thousand cuts. Don't use combos, now enjoy the highest dps set that nobody knows about.

I didn't know about this and it's extra nice because the thing that turned me off of DB was the appearance that nearly every single power was required because of the combos. Knowing I have several levels I can take off for more secondary and pool powers makes it way more attractive.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Is Touch of Fear worth it as a DM scrapper? It seems like a great hold, but idk anymore. It's been years since I had to make builds for this game :smith:.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

Is Touch of Fear worth it as a DM scrapper? It seems like a great hold, but idk anymore. It's been years since I had to make builds for this game :smith:.

Fears aren't proper holds, enemies will attack or run away once they've been hit. They'll also periodically just run away on their own sometimes. They can only attack once after being hit, so they otherwise pretty much just sit there until you gently caress with them once feared. It won't stuff their first attack, but if you'd like to reduce the number of people punching you in a given moment it'll do that. Since it's melee though you'll have to bop them then maneuver around them so as not to hit them again if you use AoE. edit: It does also open up your IO options for Glimpse of the Abyss if you're looking to squeeze in even more recharge speed.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 23, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

clone on the phone posted:

Can I reduce the time it takes for hide to kick back in after combat with recharge enhancements?

Not that I've found. But for something similar I would highly, highly recommend getting the Stalker's Guise Chance for Hide ATO and slotting it in AS at level 10. After testing it in AS like the other gentlegoon suggested it does seem to trigger like 90% of the time and it's insanely good for bursting dudes down.

Or more related to your question if you finish a fight with AS it'll immediately put you back in hide. It's great!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Hakarne posted:

Not that I've found. But for something similar I would highly, highly recommend getting the Stalker's Guise Chance for Hide ATO and slotting it in AS at level 10. After testing it in AS like the other gentlegoon suggested it does seem to trigger like 90% of the time and it's insanely good for bursting dudes down.

Or more related to your question if you finish a fight with AS it'll immediately put you back in hide. It's great!

I only understood some of those words but it gives me something to go on, cheers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Psykmoe posted:

Do the Fighting pool attacks cause weapon redraw? I know the basic Brawl attack doesn't make you put your gun/axe/whatever away.

I've no concrete plans to actually use a Fighting attack as part of my chain on any of my alts, but I know it would rub me the wrong way if my Scrapper had to put the axe away when I try to use Kick because it doesn't really make sense.

Edit: Admittedly somewhat moot question since I set my Axe set to No Redraw, although sometimes it bugs out when I attack without weapon in hand. The attack happens, but the animation doesn't play, it merely makes the axe appear in hand.

Brawl and the free origin powers are unique cases where they're specially designed to flow together with everything and anything. I don't think anything else gets that treatment (Kick's animation is reused for certain sets' Brawl variation, but I'm pretty sure not even that does), so like you said the answer would be to just slap No Redraw on your stuff. I too hate the glitchiness with it, but I would assume that's down to how it was hacked in.

On the subject of who to take Fighting stuff on, I took Boxing at the very least on my human form Peacebringer because without it he basically didn't have a melee attack chain to speak of. I've since remade him so I'm curious to check out the new synergy stuff for myself.

Mesadoram posted:

God yes. Touch of Fear has a nice fat ToHit debuff on it, on top of being a nice and reliable bit of ST control. Fear allegedly has a bunch of finicky rules but in practice it kind of just works IME. Extremely good to shut down problem enemies before they kick off their bullshit and it lasts long enough that you can deal with the rest of the mob then get back to them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anything that doesn't already have strong single-target attacks and can afford to sit in melee benefits from them a lot. Controllers in particular do well with them, especially if you've got a solid defense-oriented secondary or a set with inherent Hold protection like Sonic Resonance. Realistically, they can work well on any set, but most archetypes already have strong enough attacks that taking Fighting is superfluous.

Pretty much the only bad thing about Fighting is that Boxing and Kick still use incredibly bland animations and hit sounds. Even Brawl sounds meatier than Boxing does!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

clone on the phone posted:

I only understood some of those words but it gives me something to go on, cheers.

There are merit vendors in most city zones, and among the things they sell are enhancement sets specific to each archetype (ATOs). One of the Stalker-specific enhancements is the chance for Hide one. Each ATO costs 100 reward merits, which you get for things like completing a mission arc or running a task force. It's definitely possible to have 100 merits by level 10 if you know about them and work towards it, otherwise just get that one with the first 100 merits you earn once you have collected them.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Thundarr posted:

There are merit vendors in most city zones, and among the things they sell are enhancement sets specific to each archetype (ATOs). One of the Stalker-specific enhancements is the chance for Hide one. Each ATO costs 100 reward merits, which you get for things like completing a mission arc or running a task force. It's definitely possible to have 100 merits by level 10 if you know about them and work towards it, otherwise just get that one with the first 100 merits you earn once you have collected them.

Or buy it on the AH for like 5-7 mil. Every time you see "Invention Salvage Found" pop up in orange letters you just made ~1 mil influence, type /ah and open your salvage window. Drop w/e in the AH window and sell that poo poo - hit "Find" if you want to see the going price (orange salvage will always be around 1 mil).

To elaborate further, if you put it in Assassin's Strike (AS) you will have a extremely high chance to enter Hide immediately after you Assassin's Strike an enemy. So you can open with AS for a giant crit then immediately be back in Hide for a second guaranteed-crit attack. Or if you use AS outside of Hide (like to kill the last enemy in a pack) you'll instantly end up in Hide. Then you can either continue on to your next pack right away or keep scrapping away with another guaranteed crit.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 23, 2019

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Do not spend 100 merits on an ATO. That's 300 enhancement converters. Even if you could only sell those for 100k a piece, that's easily way more than most ATOs are worth on the Auction House. At least last I checked, you should always check with the AH first.

Always check the price of something at the merit vendor versus its price on the AH, then check what the equivalent amount of enhancement converters or unslotters or whatever else would get you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Once you get to the high levels with that proc, your attack chain is something like AS from Hide > (proc activates and you enter hide again) > your strongest attack for a guaranteed crit > 3 hits to build up Assassin's Strike again (and to let AS recharge) > AS again. It's a brutal amount of damage on one target.