Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
All of PD's carrying solutions are based around Arca-Swiss plates. It's not even thinkable that they'd use a different kind of connector here given the effort they go to to make the rest of their ecosystem cross-compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

my bad, their connector looks bizarre, even if it's compatible. i stand by my lol on a fixed head, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dpreview has a small review of it, it's not actually any shorter or lighter than the competition in this category.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/1994841706/hands-on-with-the-new-peak-design-travel-tripod

The reshaped legs to give it a smaller diameter which I guess is a big bonus but the center pole looks sketchy as gently caress. They should have left it out and shaved the weight.

They claim it can secure a 70-200 without sag but I don't believe it. Maybe when new but after 6 months? It's way too small.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Six
Hundred
Dollars

I’d want a lot more for $600. Like a ball head that can actually handle a camera worth putting on it, and a usable center column.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's something weird about a company who has so many products not having the capital to manufacture a tripod.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

um excuse me posted:

There's something weird about a company who has so many products not having the capital to manufacture a tripod.

It may not even be about capital, as such. There's a small trend in business to use Kickstarter as risk mitigation and market research in one. Why put your own capital on the line when you can put down someone else's? Plus you can gauge the demand for your product: if you blow away your projections you order more extra units as you go (take advantage of the economies of scale), but if you just barely squeak over the funding target maybe you don't order as many.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Snip

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 21, 2019

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

doobie chat in dorkroom is mod sass

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Forgot, my bad. Was aiming a relevant crowd funding goof.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Tony Northrop's review video on Youtube is actually pretty critical on the tripod and I'm glad I watched it. Probably won't back it now :[

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The price is sort of insane. I know it’s PD and it is appealingly small, but for MSRP there’s no way I’d consider it. Even with the KS discount I’m not ready to replace my lovely, albeit functional travel tripod.

For that price I’ll just buy the PD backpack which will hold my bigger tripod lol

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It would be worth it if they address all of the issues Northrup addresses. The form factor is extremely appealing for anyone who needs the absolute smallest they can get. Remember there are people who fight over single ounces and inches in tent design for backpacking. I expect tripods to overlap quite a bit in that Venn diagram.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Since we're talking about tripods at the moment... A few days ago I bought a Promaster Scout SC426 tripod kit at a camera store; I live in "regional" Australia, which means my small city (Armidale) doesn't have a real camera store but the two nearest bigger cities (still pretty small, under 100K residents), Tamworth and Coffs Harbour, have decent shops. I was in Coffs for work and had some time and money.

Cost: $179 AUD which is well under my expected budget walking in of $300. The first tripod they showed me when I said "light, reasonably sturdy, not too expensive" was a carbon-fibre setup for $350 (one of the legs unscrews to become a shorter-than-most monopod), but they had several others and I settled on the middle of the range of aluminium tripod kits - my tripod is Goldilocks because it's lighter and folds smaller for transport than the SC430, but has a higher working height and maximum load than the SC423; the three models were $20 apart from each other. All are sold strictly as kits, with a compact ball head that is Arca-Swiss compatible (even though the first salesman didn't know the term, and said he was unsure about "Ark-Swath" mounts; the second guy knew his stuff). As sold, the kit weighs just over 3 pounds (1.39 Kg) and folds down by inverting the legs and extending the central pole to small enough to fit inside my usual daypack, or strap easily to the outside of it. I do go camping and backpacking, and I have met the people who cut off laundry tags from their trail clothes because they care about individual grams, but I am certainly not one of them. In any case, this tripod is quite a bit smaller and lighter (without being noticeably shorter) than the Manfrotto 055XPRO I left in storage in Canada, that cost me $300 a few years ago.

I took it to the beach and shot some self-portraits just to play with it, though I have not yet really put it through its paces. One of the main things I will use this tripod for is to support the (cheap, Chinese, heavy) gimbal mount and my (old, huge) 500mm telephoto. The specs on the tripod kit say maximum load is 4 Kg, so I *think* it will be OK. So far, the only downside is there is nothing (not enough friction, no other features) to stop the legs from separating when I'm carrying it in my hand; I'll rig up a strap or a bag sooner or later.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Update on Fuji X-E3:

Couldn't be happier! Even just taking pictures of buildings and people around my office is a blast. Also, the camera is tiny in a good way. Already have several places planned to visit around SF this three-day weekend. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Now to actually improve so I'm confident enough to post pictures... hah.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a small camera bag I can put in my commuter backpack? I only need to hold 1 extra lens max (meaning 2 lenses total). I really like the quality of my Peak Design strap. Would it be safe to say their bags are similar caliber? Or should I get something cheaper?

edit:

something like this

or this

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 22, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I just ordered the 5L sling. It’s actually sitting in an unopened Amazon box at my office right now. I’ll try to post an update after I’ve had a chance to use it.

For “bag in a bag” purposes, I’ve been relatively happy with the Tenba BYOB line. I have the 7 which is perfect for m43 cameras, and the 9 which houses an X-T3 (18-55) and looks like it should hold another couple of lenses.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
As someone who at one point splurged on a carbon fiber travel tripod that probably cost too much money relative to my skill level in this hobby that PD tripod doesn't look too bad.

Im happy with my tripod as it is light, very sturdy, doesn't take up a lot of space and can get quite tall, all the while having just 3 segments.

That detail about tripods having a lot of wasted space when folded is spot on, particularly for my tripod. "Travel size" in the tripod world means how long a tripod is when folded, not the effective volume it occupies. My tripod folds the leg back over the head which is the main reason it is quite short when folded but this fact also means its diameter is quite large. The PD one looks like it solves this.

But 5 segments? its a pain in the rear end with the 3 i have on my tripod, i wouldn't want 60% more segments.

Those locking levers are a blessing and a curse. Sure its faster to set up but it is also much more likely to fail/break than the cocentric screw locking mechanism i have on my tripod.
And why is speed of set up/fold down such a focus? Speed of set up has been the least of my worries when i have used my tripod. Tripod use is for carefully considered photos so who cares about saving a few seconds on setup. IMO the single aspect where tripod speed is important is for doing small adjustments to the ball head to get that perfect composition, and the best way to speed this up is to splurge on a better ballhead (for less sag)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speed has some attraction because when I'm out hiking I'm frequently stopping and setting up because something caught my eye. I usually just carry it under an arm but am always waffling back and forth on whether to retract the legs every single time. There aren't many options that make it reasonable to constantly compress the tripod, so I usually just end up carrying it with legs extended if there's no people around that I might smack. But if someone came out with something that was really that fast? I'd be considering it.

(the flowtech is one candidate but is hilariously far outside my price range)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Speaking of which, would you guys recommend buying a “travel” tripod or a normal tripod for your first? My primary use case is going to be for hiking/fishing/landscapes.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
1000% nermal one first. They're cheaper and built stronger. You want ol' reliable before getting into the exotic $$$ stuff. I carried a 190xprob for 21 miles in Manhattan once along with a full Kata. If you're motivated you'll hardly notice it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would only consider a travel tripod if I was flying and luggage space was a concern. And in those cases I'd take a gorillapod. For everything else, a normal tripod is better. If weight becomes a problem then look into carbon fiber

But don't bet the farm until you've experimented on your own, most of the stuff I've settled on is only after something else pissed me off.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I would only consider a travel tripod if I was flying and luggage space was a concern. And in those cases I'd take a gorillapod.

This is my cue: I am going to Japan in October for a 17 day trip around the country.
The plan is to only take the bare minimum, i.e. x-t3 with 18-55 kit lens, charger , 2 batteries, sd-cards, lens cloth, and a portable tripod (full size apparently not allowed in many places anyway).

The byob bags look ideal to stow the camera in my on-board luggage/day pack and a gorilla pod seems like a good option when I need a tripod.

Can anyone recommend the bright side byob bag for this purpose? Is the 7 ok for this purpose or should I get the 9? And are those shoulder bags they offer for the byobs good?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I have a gorillapod and I hate it. It's too short to be useful by itself, when you've got a framing in mind you're not going to get it unless there a perfectly sized rock just where you need it to be. Most things you'll want to wrap it around (fence railings come to mind) are too thin to be useful and when it is wrapped around something of sufficient girth there's always slop so you'll spend a lot of time fighting that too.

However, if you're aesthetic is only shots from 30cm off the ground go for it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I had a Gorillapod years ago and it was great at first but failed after about a year. The many joints in the legs diverged in their friction. A few locked up, and a few got very loose. This made it completely unuseable. The quick release plate was always susceptible to twisting on the camera body, no matter how I tightened the screw. Maybe they're better now? I never had problems finding a place to put it - I guess I am frequently surrounded by fences, railings, boulders, small trees....

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I’m in Japan right now and tripods are just straight up not allowed most places I’ve been. I’ve seen at least two tourists asked to put them away at landmarks but also inexplicably they allow full sized tripods with no restrictions at the narrow torii walkways at Fushimi Inari. Every few feet you had people set up blocking most of the walkway. I really wanted to just start plowing through then after the first 20 minutes :(

I guess people can and do play the dumb foreign tourist card and just set up and take the shot anyway but it annoys everyone around.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 23, 2019

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well I have a fullsize and really only need the gorilla for this trip (and maybe future travel) but I'd rather have a gorilla pod than no pod at all. Especially since I want some night shots and am only a beginner, so handshooting and improvising is not my strong suit to be honest.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What aperture does your kit lens open up to? I’ve been shooting 1.8 and 2.8 on my 50 and 80-200 respectively and I’ve been getting good night shots, but admittedly the d610 sees in the dark really well at high ISO.

E: I mean handheld, and more on the 80 side of 80-200. High iso still isn’t magic :3

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Joints failing on a gorilla pod is the most common complaint, but I've not had it happen to me. I've had one of their early plastic ones as well as their newest big aluminum one and they've done well for me.

But I don't use it daily either. I'm sure they wear out over time but I don't know what that interval is. :iiam:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hopper posted:

This is my cue: I am going to Japan in October for a 17 day trip around the country.
The plan is to only take the bare minimum, i.e. x-t3 with 18-55 kit lens, charger , 2 batteries, sd-cards, lens cloth, and a portable tripod (full size apparently not allowed in many places anyway).

The byob bags look ideal to stow the camera in my on-board luggage/day pack and a gorilla pod seems like a good option when I need a tripod.

Can anyone recommend the bright side byob bag for this purpose? Is the 7 ok for this purpose or should I get the 9? And are those shoulder bags they offer for the byobs good?

You’re talking about the Tenba bags? The 7 feels a little too small for the X-T3 with the kit zoom. It won’t quite fit with the lens facing down (display facing the lid), and the body of the X-T3 is slightly too wide to fit sideways with the grip facing up (maybe 1/2”). You can probably make it work, but it felt like I was compromising the protection of the bag that way. The 9 will also have room for another lens and extras if you so desire.

If you keep the hood on your 18-55 facing out, or want room for more lenses later, then definitely the 9.

Pics:

7 next to the 9

7 with the lens facing down. The eye cup sticks out just a hare, but you can probably make this configuration work.

Sideways in the 7. The grip sicks out about 1/2”.

Lastly, the camera in the 9 with all kinds of room for activities.

edit: And for shits and giggles here’s the 7, 9, and the PD 5l sling.

The sling feels like it’s got about the same amount of space, or maybe a touch more, than the BYOB 9. I was disappointed that I can’t get my 10” iPad Pro w/ case in the back of the sling, but maybe that’s a blessing in disguise. You can definitely only get a camera + lenses in there before it gets maxed out. For that reason, I’m debating sending it back.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 23, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xzzy posted:

Joints failing on a gorilla pod is the most common complaint, but I've not had it happen to me.

Yeah the second time I took mine out a leg broke off out of nowhere. The replacement they sent me is fine, but I don’t use either a huge amount - and always check which one is the broken one before I put anything on it!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Dangerllama posted:

You’re talking about the Tenba bags? The 7 feels a little too small for the X-T3 with the kit zoom. It won’t quite fit with the lens facing down (display facing the lid), and the body of the X-T3 is slightly too wide to fit sideways with the grip facing up (maybe 1/2”). You can probably make it work, but it felt like I was compromising the protection of the bag that way. The 9 will also have room for another lens and extras if you so desire.

If you keep the hood on your 18-55 facing out, or want room for more lenses later, then definitely the 9.

Pics:

7 next to the 9

7 with the lens facing down. The eye cup sticks out just a hare, but you can probably make this configuration work.

Thank you this was exactly what I needed to know!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What's this I hear about the Nikon mirrorless cameras being recalled? I was going to buy that Z6 today but last night some photog friends said "NO DONT DO THAT" and mumbled something about checking serial numbers.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some had an issue with the ibis. Mine wasn’t affected, I don’t think it means you need to not buy one. They have a tool online for checking the serial number.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So the Peak Design 5l sling is definitely going back. I wore it for about an hour at my kids’ school function and it already started to hurt my shoulder. Had nothing in it but my X-T3. It really just doesn’t seem to have enough padding. Or the strap just isn’t wide enough.

Also, ordered a Benro Adventure 1 Series tripod. Thanks for the link to the photo podcast from earlier. That was super helpful.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I live everything else about my 10L but the strap creates way too much of a hotspot when it’s loaded. I remedied by getting a gel wrap that goes around the shoulder bit. I’d consider replacing the bag but I love everything else about it. I just got the camera catch that I bolted onto the side of the bag too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Other bags I was looking at [these aren't all camera specific] were the Hex Ranger, DSPTCH Slingpack or Camera Shoulder Bag, Chrome Niko and Kadet, Manfrotto EX.

I don't mind the Peak 10L but I don't actually find myself using it all that often. I did spend a lot of time adjusting the strap so it felt right in a variety of situations, including switching which side the pad is on.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

qirex posted:

Other bags I was looking at [these aren't all camera specific] were the Hex Ranger, DSPTCH Slingpack or Camera Shoulder Bag, Chrome Niko and Kadet, Manfrotto EX.

I don't mind the Peak 10L but I don't actually find myself using it all that often. I did spend a lot of time adjusting the strap so it felt right in a variety of situations, including switching which side the pad is on.

I used a Chrome Kadet (the seemingly discontinued "welterweight" model specifically, which I picked up on sale last year) with a Tenba BYOB 7 inside for my GX85 with the 12-32 kit lens and spare batteries/SD cards/lens pen, along with a travel wallet and other odds and ends in the bag, on a recent 10 day trip to Japan. Had it on/with me pretty much all day every day and it was much more comfortable than I expected, especially in light of just how much walking we did. The waterproofing advertised for that particular version of the Kadet held up well on the days where we got a bit of rain, and I felt it was very convenient to swivel around to my front when I needed to pull out or put away the camera, or whenever I needed to bring out some cash (all the loving time in Japan) or a rail pass or something.

Overall it has functioned great for my needs, and when I use it here at home I can fit another lens (like my 20mm pancake) along with a few other accessories in the BYOB 7 as well, while keeping my 45-150mm (in a padded lens sleeve) and air blower in the open space of the Kadet itself with a little room to spare for whatever else. I will say that with this bag setup, it helped a lot to make the Tenba more flexible by flattening it out under some heavy storage containers along a vertical axis overnight, so that it wouldn't use unnecessary space and press against my back in the relatively narrow Kadet bag. Wouldn't recommend for someone with a camera body or lenses much larger than my general kit, though.

Prude fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 25, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I live everything else about my 10L but the strap creates way too much of a hotspot when it’s loaded. I remedied by getting a gel wrap that goes around the shoulder bit. I’d consider replacing the bag but I love everything else about it. I just got the camera catch that I bolted onto the side of the bag too.

I've switched from using a messenger bag to a backpack for work (commuting on foot and transit in Tokyo), away from using a big heavy duffel bag with one strap for sports to a backpack, and using bags with wider straps for cameras partially because having that one-shoulder strap with a bit of weight is a real good way to murder your back. This is especially true when adding in dense camera gear.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Pics:

7 next to the 9

edit: And for shits and giggles here’s the 7, 9, and the PD 5l sling.

The sling feels like it’s got about the same amount of space, or maybe a touch more, than the BYOB 9. I was disappointed that I can’t get my 10” iPad Pro w/ case in the back of the sling, but maybe that’s a blessing in disguise. You can definitely only get a camera + lenses in there before it gets maxed out. For that reason, I’m debating sending it back.

Thanks for this post! Pushed me to get the 9 on Friday and it's perfect for my needs. :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I kind of want to get into printing my digital photos. What would you guys recommend for an inkjet given the following:

I want to follow the mantra of “buy once cry once” but within reason, this will always be a side hobby and the photos aren’t being hung in a gallery.

I’d like to print 8x10 or larger if the need arises

I mostly (recently always) process down to b&w so good b&w is important to me.

I’m just feeling out options right now and I’ll make a decision once the research is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Canon sells their 13x19 inkjets at rediculously low prices (usually $100, sometimes even lower) during a rebate period on the premise that you're willing to spend $120 per ink refill. Luckily third parties also make ink for $30-40. I have the PRO-100 and I haven't noticed an appreciable difference between the cartridges. I only occasionally print to hang stuff, though. If you want something more commercial, you're going to want better.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 27, 2019