Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

JaySB posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this exactly. How do you end up on bottom?

Most typically these guys pull me directly into a sweep from my lapels or just straight up roll me over onto my side once they have hands on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

McMadCow posted:

Most typically these guys pull me directly into a sweep from my lapels or just straight up roll me over onto my side once they have hands on.

Grip break, actively. Stand up. Move. There's literally no reason you should just get rolled over onto your side unless your base is terrible.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Similarly, I had something today that I am not sure if I did something right or the other guy did something wrong but I went for a kimura from open guard and straight up just tackled the dude into mount.

Pretty sure that's not supposed to be possible

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Similarly, I had something today that I am not sure if I did something right or the other guy did something wrong but I went for a kimura from open guard and straight up just tackled the dude into mount.

Pretty sure that's not supposed to be possible
That's a hip bump sweep.

McMadCow posted:

That shouldn't be happening at all. You're doing something wrong here.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Yuns posted:

That's a hip bump sweep.

loving sweet

Gonna ask to drill that next time

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Yuns posted:

That shouldn't be happening at all. You're doing something wrong here.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but no one even remotely close to my size can ragdoll me the way these guys can.

EDIT: no other whitebelts, that is.

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 22, 2019

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

McMadCow posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but no one even remotely close to my size can ragdoll me the way these guys can.

I roll with guys 50+ lbs heavier than me relatively often and no one is just throwing me to into side control. Your base is compromised in some way for sure. You should never be letting people who can do that to you get a grip advantage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

about 18 months ago I was dealign with your problems. I'm the exact same size as you, close to the same age, and have lots of big training partners.

#1 - don't concede bottom is correct. Fight from the top as much as you can. I'll stand right up if I need to.

#2 - If they put you on the bottom, keep inside control with knee shield & frames. That poo poo is life. Guys will splay their free legs out, drop their head onto your chest, and start driving in. Put one hand on their ear, and the other on their hip, lock your elbows out and start shrimping to separate, and pop to front headlock and sprawl if you get the chance (it won't happen often, but it's a good target). If their arm dangles, kimura it.

#3 - sticky feet. Get that half guard. There aren't many positions where it isn't theoretically possible to snag half guard with one or two motions. Once you're there, #2.

#4 - never concede position. Keep moving and keep fighting even if it seems like a lost cause (hint: it's never a lost cause). Resist that urge to go "well my guard is pretty much passed, I guess we're doing side control now..."

That's what works for me, anyway. Sometimes I'll fight with someone over these frames for most of a round if I end up in the bad spot. The big purple belts can get past it, but not many of the blue belts, and none of the white belts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oh and the half guard kimura thing was just me trying to figure out if I could exploit that post on the body somehow to counter my opponent's escape, but I think it's not reliably present so I'm giving up that line of thinking.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

oh and the half guard kimura thing was just me trying to figure out if I could exploit that post on the body somehow to counter my opponent's escape, but I think it's not reliably present so I'm giving up that line of thinking.

There's no exploit for the post as you've committed both your hands to the kimura and you're going across body. Once they posture there's a ton of follow ups though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

There's no exploit for the post as you've committed both your hands to the kimura and you're going across body. Once they posture there's a ton of follow ups though.

:goku:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Not sure what the emoji means.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was trying it out to indicate a tantalizing leg lock opportunity. Didn't seem to land.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
^ I guess I got it ;)

JaySB posted:

Not sure what the emoji means.

Why would you ignore 50% of the human body?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I was trying it out to indicate a tantalizing leg lock opportunity. Didn't seem to land.

spandexcajun posted:

^ I guess I got it ;)

Why would you ignore 50% of the human body?

Yeah, I mean I got it in that sense. Just wasn't sure if we were talking about using the legs to exploit the post. I already mentioned the kneebar from bottom half. None of it is particularly applicable from full guard.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

McMadCow posted:

aggro white belt talk

There are a lot of good suggestions above. My favorite strategy from the bottom against bigger guys is to use knee shield half to set up a dogfight/coyote guard and start attacking sweeps from there. As a bonus, if the big white belts you're having trouble with don't have a wrestling background, you'll probably be able to go straight to the back with this sequence for a little while until they figure out how to whizzer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1gHcs4aic8

The Jake Mackenzie quarter guard sweep is another great option that naturally fits in with this, though I'd recommend it as more of a last resort since they're that much closer to passing entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x0v_1m5aY8

Edit: I've also read that butterfly guard can be good for going against bigger guys, but it's not my A-game, so I can't offer much more than that.

Nestharken fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 22, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

loving sweet

Gonna ask to drill that next time

My baby white belt go-to is cycling scissor sweep and hip bump, because you get one if they lean forward and the other if they lean back. So if my fellow white belts defend one I can probably switch and catch the other.

Edit: those tips 1-4 for smaller guys is exactly what I need; I've focused so much on trying to learn how to escape scarf and side and now I just accept it any time someone tries to pass my guard. Gotta get the right mindset, I give up on stuff way too quick.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 22, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

My baby white belt go-to is cycling scissor sweep and hip bump, because you get one if they lean forward and the other if they lean back. So if my fellow white belts defend one I can probably switch and catch the other.

Edit: those tips 1-4 for smaller guys is exactly what I need; I've focused so much on trying to learn how to escape scarf and side and now I just accept it any time someone tries to pass my guard. Gotta get the right mindset, I give up on stuff way too quick.

As a big white belt against smaller white belts, I can tell you that the guys who concede are basically cakework versus the guys who fight. A scrappy white belt who doesn't concede side control even if its 99% in is a loving pain in the rear end, but if the guy just accepts it I am already more or less guaranteed a sub.

Similarly, I've started to finally build a "game" instead of randomly going for whatever I think will work. I've had a lot of success with half guard from bottom and I am wondering if its just a preference or a crutch. Like, should I keep work on advancing my game from a good half guard or try to not rely so much on half guard from the bottom.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Similarly, I've started to finally build a "game" instead of randomly going for whatever I think will work. I've had a lot of success with half guard from bottom and I am wondering if its just a preference or a crutch. Like, should I keep work on advancing my game from a good half guard or try to not rely so much on half guard from the bottom.

Complicated answer, as someone who is basically only good at half guard, work your half guard game if you enjoy it and transition to follow up positions like reverse de la riva, single leg x, x guard, etc. once you're comfortable in most of those positions then go and work on the poo poo you know you suck at.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

McMadCow posted:

I have been mulling over how to respond to this post as obviously you don't believe me. Feel free not to heed my advice but by way of background I'm a first degree black belt who trains in one of the best academies in the northeast and who regularly assists with the gi fundamentals class. I've been helping white belts for a long time and have seen and experienced a lot of issues. It should not be trivial for someone who is less experienced to sweep you even if there is a size disparity. I am lighter than you are and train with guys even heavier so I have experienced working with guys with 80+ pounds on me. It's really important that you take a critical look at your own fundamentals rather than blaming a size or strength disparity. Do those things matter? Sure but proper base, posture, grips matter more. Why is your base insufficient to stop the sweep. Where is your head relative to your hips. How wide is your base. What is your weight distribution. Where are hands and feet? Why can't you post to stop the sweep. Are you being off balanced? If so how? What are the mechanics of the sweep. Rebuild your fundamentals from the base up. You are stuffing guys your size or lighter but getting easily swept by larger guys because your fundamentals need work. This will get to be more of a problem as you get better. Its easier to fix mow than rebuilding when you plateau later.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To continue this topic, does anyone have good videos on posture and base? I too have been told by my coach and partners to work on that and I'd appreciate any useful videos (of course I'm also getting actual help in the gym).

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As a big white belt against smaller white belts, I can tell you that the guys who concede are basically cakework versus the guys who fight. A scrappy white belt who doesn't concede side control even if its 99% in is a loving pain in the rear end, but if the guy just accepts it I am already more or less guaranteed a sub.

It really pains me to say this because I am a half guard player and love half guard but at this stage in your development please don't rely on half guard too much. Practice regaining butterfly or closed guard from half guard or moving to another open guard or sweep.

Half guard is awesome but it's easier to pass half than it is to pass full closed or open guards. Also while there are sweeps from half, it is harder to submit from half versus full. Also holding a tight half guard locks you into your opponent. So at this stage, use half guard but don't hold it. Seek to sweep or regain full guard.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Jack B Nimble posted:

To continue this topic, does anyone have good videos on posture and base? I too have been told by my coach and partners to work on that and I'd appreciate any useful videos (of course I'm also getting actual help in the gym).
I don't have any videos on it, but do have a few tips. When considering base you are looking at your points of contact with the ground and their stability which is affected in part by width and by where your center of gravity is. When in closed guard, are your knees wide and feet close. For posture, look at the relative position of your head and hips. Is your head over your hips or is it behind your hips so that you can be pushed backwards or forward of your hips so that your head can be pulled forward collapsing you at the waist. Too busy to write up more but I'll be back to do so.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've given zero thought about head and hip relative position, so that helps already, thanks. Going to my no gi class tonight and there's a couple guys there that always always break me down, so I'm excited to try this right away.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Wrestling was pretty neat. There's no place in the country to buy wrestling shoes, I'll need to order them. If I wear a 10.5 US in my street shoes (it's a bit roomy in the toe at 10.5 but that's how I like it) what size do I order for wrestling shoes? Any good sizing guides?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I'm excited for Polaris and CJJ. BJJ weekend! Surprised that Faber is a betting favorite against Nicky Ryan.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

JaySB posted:

I dunno, I do well with a sweep attempt if they put their free hand on my body.

Like: I'm going for a kimura on my opponent's left arm from bottom half. I've got a good kimura grip, but his hand is in front of his body, like by his belt knot. He puts his right hand on my torso or hip to posture up. As soon as he puts his free hand on me I try to do a bridge/John Wayne sweep to my left. If he leaves his hand where it is he's getting swept or face planting. If he moves his hand to post out to avoid the sweep then my body is free to move where I need to finish the kimura (usually hip way out then bring my left foot to his left hip and rip the arm out, like Lachlan does around ~3:00 in.

Side note, I normally try not to use much strength, I'm not super strong anyway, but using that position to pull a strong person's arm free is one my favorite moves. It feels like you can rip the whole arm off.

ihop fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 23, 2019

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Thanks to BJJ Scouts Ben Askrens studies and the lingering effects of March Madness Wrestling in my system going over the back for the ankles, or going for the base ruining properties of ankle leverage in general, and Funk Rolling is basically my poo poo now. It's not the most efficient way to play BJJ, but it might be the most fun.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I like to funk roll when someone is passing my guard into side control but I have to be really quick and sudden with it or they sink their weight down and the opportunity passes. I’ve done it to a few higher belts and they are pretty surprised usually

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

White Belt rear end question

Sometimes, especially when passing a guard, I don't do anything I can identify as a technique as much as I just manage to get through an opening I find as we're struggling. For example, I will be in someone's open guard and one of their legs loses its post so I just force it down and slide over. I didn't break the guard, or knee slice, or anything, I just noticed he had a leg I could push down and pushed it down.

My question is, should I be limited myself to techniques to pass guard or just sort of use this "take what I can get" approach? I guess I am asking because it feels like if I pass without using a specific technique or a specific strategy, I am taking advantage of my opponent's weakness instead of my strengths. I worry as I get higher up the ladder I will have handicapped myself by relying on my opponent to do something wrong rather than relying on me doing something right.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Just call it a modified torreando. Open guard passing is probably the most dynamic bjj minigame because your opponent has a lot of mobility so it'll be a long time until you have a move for every position. It is good that you are engraining the concepts of bjj (from here, I need to get past his legs) rather than just trying to map the current position to a move you know.

If you keep getting to that position, look up or ask coach for a technique so you have something better to practice there, like leg drag/x pass/torreando/smash pass?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yes, it will slow your progress down if you're waiting for opportunities rather than creating them. Take advantage of the openings you're given, always, but developing a game is important.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah right now my biggest weakness I am trying to work on is my open guard game because I am poo poo at passing it and poo poo and using it myself

My biggest issue with open guard is that I keep getting pulled right into either closed or spider guard when I try to pass

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah right now my biggest weakness I am trying to work on is my open guard game because I am poo poo at passing it and poo poo and using it myself

My biggest issue with open guard is that I keep getting pulled right into either closed or spider guard when I try to pass

Having a grip advantage is huge to passing open guard. I'm a leg drag, toreando, step through, and diving kimura kinda guy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

Having a grip advantage is huge to passing open guard. I'm a leg drag, toreando, step through, and diving kimura kinda guy.

Yeah, for some reason I keep trying to grab the belt and knee to knee slice and I should probably go back to using the pant legs as a grip base

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

heeebrew posted:

I'm excited for Polaris and CJJ. BJJ weekend! Surprised that Faber is a betting favorite against Nicky Ryan.

I got to roll with Urijah during his prep for this match. I don't know why though cus I'm an old 260 lb purple belt. He subbed me with a neck crank, good times

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Yuns posted:

Its easier to fix mow than rebuilding when you plateau later.

Thanks for all this. I'll definitely be looking out for the differences in my form when I'm stuffing guys my size but getting crushed into sweeps by the bigger guys.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Finally got back on the judo horse today

I had two goals

A. Take enough hip tosses I no longer panic when I leave my feet
B. Hit the John Wick throw in Randori

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Finally got back on the judo horse today

I had two goals

A. Take enough hip tosses I no longer panic when I leave my feet
B. Hit the John Wick throw in Randori

How did A work out? I'm paying coach $50 to toss me a bunch next Tuesday in a private lesson.

Is B legal in Judo? Doesn't it require a leg grab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is B legal in Judo? Doesn't it require a leg grab?

it can be done by wrapping the hand around the back of uke's waist instead of his leg to make it legal, but it's a stretch and risky for competition (if you touch the leg on accident it's a penalty.)

OR you can do the throws the awesome way and not worry about the rules.