Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My mom’s 2017 15” MBP is now utterly refusing to put out 4k60 - it will only do 4k30 - even though it used to work fine. I’ve tried USB-C to Displayport 1.2, USB-C to HDMI, and even USB-C to DP via a CableMatters dongle. I’m convinced this is a software problem but don’t know what to do about it.
Still dealing with this issue, anyone have ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

I pay less than 80c per month to keep things on S3 Glacier fwiw.

I use Backblaze B2, but yeah, either is super cheap if you're looking to archive.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I pay $0 per month to keep them on Google Photos.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lambert posted:

I pay $0 per month to keep them on Google Photos.

Google has you pay in other ways!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Ever since I ditched my iPhone for a Pixel the targeted ads I've been receiving have been crazily on point. I've never been one to complain about targeted ads and in general I think it's a good thing, but the fact that I've never knowingly offered up any of this specific information and yet they're able to serve me an ad for something on Instagram 20 seconds after I did a Twitter search on my computer for it is really eerie. Google definitely traffics in the user data business more than most.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Still dealing with this issue, anyone have ideas?

Can you take your dongles/cable to an Apple store and have them try it out?

What brands of cables/dongles? Did you confirm from reviews that they have will output at 4k/60hz with a MacBook Pro?

Otherwise, there are some suggestions on this MacRumors thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cannot-get-4k-60hz-on-2018-mbpr.2161120/

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 23, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

American McGay posted:

Ever since I ditched my iPhone for a Pixel the targeted ads I've been receiving have been crazily on point. I've never been one to complain about targeted ads and in general I think it's a good thing, but the fact that I've never knowingly offered up any of this specific information and yet they're able to serve me an ad for something on Instagram 20 seconds after I did a Twitter search on my computer for it is really eerie. Google definitely traffics in the user data business more than most.

I mean, it's not shocking to hear the company that is at heart an advertising agency that gives out its services for free to the 'users' collects and is efficient at using that data in comparison to the company that just wants your money. It's reassuring in a sense to literally be able to see the difference between the two, though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Add me to the list of people who are happy Apple only really wants your money. It was the primary driver in my switch to an iPhone and now I'm trying to switch to a Mac for my home PC but video games.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

jokes posted:

Add me to the list of people who are happy Apple only really wants your money. It was the primary driver in my switch to an iPhone and now I'm trying to switch to a Mac for my home PC but video games.

That becomes pretty cost-prohibitive if you aren't interested in switching to console(s) for your gaming fix. All Macs make dual booting to Windows simple via Boot Camp, but you're either looking at a loaded iMac or a MacBook Pro with external GPU to get agreeable performance in newer games. I was in the same boat, but had a falling out with PC gaming, so it was a lot easier of a transition for me.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can disable targeted advertising with Google.
https://adssettings.google.com/

jokes posted:

Apple sells ad spots at various places, like in the app store.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Lambert posted:

Apple promoting its products within its own channels and at appropriate times is entirely different to turning end-users into a product.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

Yeah, this is what keeps me in the ecosystem as well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lambert posted:

You can disable targeted advertising with Google.
https://adssettings.google.com/

I don't think you understand what people mean by "big data", or how Google makes money off their users, and why Apple is so so so much better with regards to privacy. Showing an ad for a crossword game in the app store because you downloaded a crossword app is way different than more typical data practices.

Google doesn't need to serve you an ad to make money off of you. They can listen in and follow your purchasing behavior, your online activity, your location, your IP address/browser fingerprint, every single bit of information from the seemingly insignificant to the 'serious' things like your credit history or whatever. They do it to form a profile or to inform a general trend or to simply serve you an ad, and then they can turn into data to be used to advertise to other people. Most other companies that do this just directly sell your information to whoever. And they'll do it without your consent, and without you even directly using a Google product.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What you can do is view all the information Google has on you and even disable very specific categories of data collection: https://myaccount.google.com/data-and-personalization

Considering Apple and Google don't offer the same types of services, "switching" from Google to Apple really isn't possible for many people.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 26, 2019

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Is there a way to force iMessage activation on MacOS? I wiped my drive and reinstalled everything without restoring any type of backup to try and get rid of some kernel panics. When I open Messages it gives me a blank window and I cannot select Preferences from the menu, it's greyed out. I've tried the process of logging out of iCloud and logging back in, but it still doesn't prompt me. And there are no options for iMessage settings in Settings > iCloud or Internet Accounts. I'm stumped.

I ticked the Mac on in the Text message Forwarding menu on the iPhone as well.

Also about this:

decypher posted:

Hi. Long time no post.

I'm having aggressive instability issues on latest version of macOS involving kernel panics and mediaanalysisd. My photos library is on an external exFAT drive. I think the exFAT part is possibly what's causing these kernel panics, but I'm not sure. Is this a common problem with exFAT drives? When I unplug it my iMac has zero issues. Recently, it cannot stay up for an hour without having a kernel panic. It's consistent until I unplug that drive.

Apparently there's anecdotal evidence(the best kind of evidence!) that certain video files in your photo library can cause these kernel panics? They seem to be a regular occurrence since the last update. I'm wondering if a "Mac" filesystem would be better though. Originally thought I'd want the compatibility with Windows but I've never needed it.

Another thing I found out is Disk Utility repair is saying I need to backup my data on my system disk. When it does the first-aid check it says "File system check exit code 8" and then recommends backing up my data. It doesn't say recreate the disk but perhaps that's implied with the back up your poo poo message? Is failure imminent?

edit: Another thing again: I held down shift on startup to boot into "safe" mode and my iMac shuts down through the process. Completely off, instantly. Probably not a good thing and I don't know what the gently caress that means because safe mode I thought was suppose to be safe. I am not having boot issues normally.

Bad RAM. It was 3 out of 4 bad RAM sticks all along. Pulled them all, inserted them one by one and ran memtest86(what a great utility) to find that all but one had varying degrees of badness to them. I knew they were bad when the test locked up after throwing multiple(sometimes as low as 3, other times as high as 320) errors. I never needed the 32GB of RAM, really, but 8GB does feel a bit cramped. The paging out hasn't been too bad, though. Been keeping an eye on it. Anyway, if you're getting lots of kernel panics, maybe check your RAM.

decypher fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 27, 2019

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

double post, my mistake!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
If I make a mail rule in icloud (on the website), will it be honored on my phone as well? There's some garbage that keeps slipping past whatever the default spam filters are, and I can't find a way to create a rule on iOS.

I know making a rule in Mail.app won't do it, but that's fine since my rules there are just for coloring emails and stuff.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zenostein posted:

If I make a mail rule in icloud (on the website), will it be honored on my phone as well? There's some garbage that keeps slipping past whatever the default spam filters are, and I can't find a way to create a rule on iOS.

I know making a rule in Mail.app won't do it, but that's fine since my rules there are just for coloring emails and stuff.

If you want to mark something as spam in mail.app in iOS, hit the flag icon at the bottom of the screen when viewing the message. The option to flag it as spam is there and it should apply to your iCloud account, not just the app.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 28, 2019

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Oh, that's where that is. Thanks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zenostein posted:

Oh, that's where that is. Thanks!

Yeah, I needed someone to point it out to me too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Speaking of iCloud Mail, anyone know why pull-to-refresh stopped working a couple of months ago?

Super annoying having to go click on the little icon every time, since it usually doesn't refresh on its own.

(It would be nice if that worked too)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

decypher posted:

Is there a way to force iMessage activation on MacOS? I wiped my drive and reinstalled everything without restoring any type of backup to try and get rid of some kernel panics. When I open Messages it gives me a blank window and I cannot select Preferences from the menu, it's greyed out. I've tried the process of logging out of iCloud and logging back in, but it still doesn't prompt me. And there are no options for iMessage settings in Settings > iCloud or Internet Accounts. I'm stumped.

Try iMessageDebug. Most likely one unique ID or another isn't set correctly.

Is this a real Mac or a Hack?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I just recently moved my wife over from an previous Air to the new model and can't work out why sms doesn't come through to iMessage any more.

Any iMessage comes through fine but the others don't sync.

I've tried disabling and reneabling it so far but no dice.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Try iMessageDebug. Most likely one unique ID or another isn't set correctly.

Is this a real Mac or a Hack?

Never heard of this utility, i'll look into it, thank you. It's a legit iMac. Reading some of the info on tonymacx86 has proven helpful, just don't have the ability to dive into it atm.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Puddin posted:

I just recently moved my wife over from an previous Air to the new model and can't work out why sms doesn't come through to iMessage any more.

Any iMessage comes through fine but the others don't sync.

I've tried disabling and reneabling it so far but no dice.

I've been having the same issue, it's a bit annoying but I don't get a lot of SMS messages to really care.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Skeezy posted:

I've been having the same issue, it's a bit annoying but I don't get a lot of SMS messages to really care.

I figured it out, under settings > messages > there's an option to sync messages with other devices. It needed to be toggled on.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Puddin posted:

I figured it out, under settings > messages > there's an option to sync messages with other devices. It needed to be toggled on.

For issues like this, also check, on the phone with the actual phone # registered to its sim, that it is set under Messages in Settings to forward messages to that particular device or you'll only get iMessages on that other device, not SMS forwarding.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Anyone know of a bookmark sync service that actually works across Safari, Chrome, and Firefox? EverSync comes closest but it's from some company I've never heard of, wants an absurd number of permissions on Chrome, and doesn't support Safari.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sent from my iPad posted:

Anyone know of a bookmark sync service that actually works across Safari, Chrome, and Firefox? EverSync comes closest but it's from some company I've never heard of, wants an absurd number of permissions on Chrome, and doesn't support Safari.

iCloud supports all three

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Last Chance posted:

Unfortunately the iCloud bookmark sync extension only works on Windows.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BookMacster is the only one I’ve found that works decently enough. Every now and then it stops pushing deltas between browsers. Then I have to basically restart the service and pick a browser as a temporary master to manually push across bookmark changes. Then autosync starts working again.

http://sheepsystems.com/products/bookmacster.html

Last Chance posted:

How do you get it to sync across the different browsers automatically? So that if I add a bookmark in Safari, it gets automatically added to Chrome.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

BookMacster is the only one I’ve found that works decently enough. Every now and then it stops pushing deltas between browsers. Then I have to basically restart the service and pick a browser as a temporary master to manually push across bookmark changes. Then autosync starts working again.

How do you get it to sync across the different browsers automatically? So that if I add a bookmark in Safari, it gets automatically added to Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/icloud-bookmarks/fkepacicchenbjecpbpbclokcabebhah?hl=en

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/icloud-bookmarks/

Unfortunately the iCloud bookmark sync extension only works on Windows.

The Firefox one right? :( didn't know that

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Who's gonna make the WWDC 2019 keynote thread?

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Proteus Jones posted:

Really appreciate the suggestion, since this application seemed perfect, but man, it just doesn't work for me. All kinds of misc. problems and errors even though I wasn't trying to do a complex merge or anything, just propagate bookmarks from one browser to all of the rest and then keep them in sync after that. It also doesn't seem to be retaining sync settings after it restarts. It's a bummer because I'd like to support a small independent developer. :/

I really just wish someone would port Brave Sync or Firefox Sync to additional browsers since they're open sourced and sensibly designed.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

You know what Apple needs to make as single app that would be super helpful? A version of dragon dictation. Full dictation control, the ability to write books with just your voice, and so on. Dragon discontinued their apple software, and it was always buggy. I’m just saying. Controlling every Mac with just your voice. Built in dictation is pretty good, but not good enough

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Not sure the best thread for this, but I thought I found the solution and it didn't work so I thought I'd ask here. Anyone use Citrix for a remote desktop connection? I do but whenever I connect to my work machine, the connection times out after 5-10 seconds (I get the "trying to reconnect" dialog repeatedly to no avail). I looked online and it mentioned turning off App Nap, but that hasn't fixed anything (and App Nap doesn't seem to be an option on this software anyway). I turned off App Nap globally just to be sure but no dice.

My work IT is basically "it's an external device so we can't offer much support blah blah"

I have a mid-2011 MBA

The software is the most recent Citrix workspace.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

enojy posted:

....I was in the same boat, but had a falling out with PC gaming...

What happened, did you wipe the raid and get kicked out of your guild?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Anton Chigurh posted:

What happened, did you wipe the raid and get kicked out of your guild?

Hah! No, plenty of the first, but never the second. Goon Squad was always all too understanding.

It actually did stem from MMOs, though -- I moved on campus for my freshman year of college, and found myself unable to stay connected to WoW for more than 30 seconds at a time on their internet. Pretty much killed a 4-year streak of constant full-time raiding and general timewasting. I did build a new gaming PC around this time, so I stuck around for Diablo 3's release (which all of my old D2 friends hated, so that also shriveled up pretty fast.) Left 4 Dead 2 was being ruined by hackers and ragequitters... then Dark Souls came out, and I was pretty much out after that.

Beyond those various instances, really, I was just getting tired of spending hours-long gaming sessions parked in front of a keyboard and mouse. I was a CS major, so I was doing more than enough of that for schoolwork purposes.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Wow living in the dorms in ‘07 was the best Internet connection I’ve ever experienced in my life back then. If your school has a CS program and a crappy network, you’ve gone to the wrong school :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My college line in 2002 or so was 100/100. Couldn’t play games outside the local network so everyone just played Red Alert 2 instead which was fun for a while. I mainly spent my time trying to tunnel around all the restrictions in place so I could make the most of that speed.