Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
As much as I hate "git gud" talk, I think you shouldn't summon for any boss on your first playthrough. Facing down bosses on your own gives you more satisfaction when you beat them and reinforces the "you're on your own" element that runs through all the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MeatwadIsGod posted:

As much as I hate "git gud" talk, I think you shouldn't summon for any boss on your first playthrough. Facing down bosses on your own gives you more satisfaction when you beat them and reinforces the "you're on your own" element that runs through all the games.

I couldn't decide whether to go totally solo or summon every time my first time through these, and eventually settled on "summon everything" because for the foreseeable future I'm only gonna have time for one play through each, so I wanna get as much NPC interaction and questlines as I can get. In the future when I come back is when I'll challenge myself to do it all solo.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, I generally agree with this sentiment. I only summon NPCs for boss fights if it's required to advance their story (eg, Lucatiel in DS2). You get a much better idea of the boss' mechanics that way.

For the most part, I also find that most NPC summons make the fights harder. Bosses become more unpredictable, and the added HP/defense they get is not outweighed by the summon since NPC summons tend to be stupid, low-damage meat shields.
I do enjoy the NPC summons in DS2:SotFS though, they seem to have had more effort put into them and tend to have more character and interesting gimmicks than in DS1 or 3.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You also get a slab if Gael survives the fight vs Friede IIRC

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You get a slab the first time you make it to Blackflame Friede, I don’t think Gael has anything to do with it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Huh. Yup, you are entirely right. I have no idea why I thought it was linked go Gael.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Remember to get the slab from the NPC after beating Friede because I always do :haw:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Bullshit. Just play the game however you want using the tools given to you, including summoning if you want or need help. A first playthrough isn’t a challenge run and there’s no certificate or award on the line. It’s just a dumb video game. Elitism like this is what kept me from wanting to play this series for years.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Being honest, Nameless King camera fuckery (even if I don't lock on) is really annoying for me so I summon Hawkwood to distract him amd the dragon on phase 1. He usually survives and in phase 2 helps me freeing me to smash NK and get a few staggers.

After getting the kill I always drop my sign a few times to help others.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

GutBomb posted:

Elitism like this is what kept me from wanting to play this series for years.

While I generally agree with your sentiment, no one cares about how internet nerds made you feel insecure, or whether you have/haven't played dark souls lol

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KingSlime posted:

While I generally agree with your sentiment, no one cares about how internet nerds made you feel insecure, or whether you have/haven't played dark souls lol

Then elitism like this discourages people from wanting to play. Sorry to make it about me, bro.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I have heard the same from other people, for the record.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
No one was being elitist though haha. Someone once said a wise quote regarding this.

GutBomb posted:

It’s just a dumb video game.

But ya we're not like emotionally invested in getting people to play these games, I don't get any royalites. Go tell Reddit or something.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KingSlime posted:

No one was being elitist though haha. Someone once said a wise quote regarding this.

But ya we're not like emotionally invested in getting people to play these games, I don't get any royalites. Go tell Reddit or something.

Speak for yourself. I love when new people start playing games I like, and come to the thread and talk about it. Saying “your first run through should be without any summons otherwise you didn’t really play it right” is elitist. Telling them they are playing it wrong sucks donkey balls and is arguably as “emotional” as talking about reasons why more people might not be playing these amazing dumb games. Yo.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Nothing about Dark Souls suggests you are on your own. Solaire mentions cooperation early on and its a staple of the series. These games wouldn’t have near the following they have without summoning.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Summoning is fine and the NPCs usually have cool/funny designs that are neat to see. If it's not fun for someone to get stuck on a boss fight for 30 deaths and summoning makes the difference, then it's good to do. They can always revisit it solo on a NG+, new character, or just be summoned themselves to practice on it more.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I get that internet toxicity is a thing but this is the post in question:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This seems like a reasonable post meant to offer a suggestion, I think you're projecting everything else? It doesn't seem condescending or rude to me

I mean he's not wrong, going back to properly learn bosses I summoned for has been extremely satisfying. But also who cares play how you want

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Eh, it's not condescending or rude but he is telling you the Correct Way to Play the Game. "You shouldn't summon" and that's the only way you get "more satisfaction".

My position on pretty much all games is use everything the game gives you to win. Cheese, summon, use glitches, whatever. Nobody cares if you beat something solo. It's not going on your resume.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I treat most non-competitive games as a storytelling experience. Anno is a story about building a nice city on easy difficulty, Prey is a story about desperation and grueling survival on hard, Dark Souls is a story about fashion and fighting solo unless I don't want to. Some games are fun when you cheat the system, some are fun when you follow the rules, what matters is that you're happy with your story.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You cheated not only the game, but yourself

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You didn't grow, you didn't learn.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I'm on my first playthrough of DS3, first Dark Souls I'm playing too. It took me almost to Anor Londo until I realized that I'm not going to run out of buff items or embers if I use them once in a while.

Did all bosses without summons because I was to cheap to use embers except for Siegward helping out with the Dancer. Took me 10 days or so until I beat the Watchers of the Abyss :saddowns:

But the summonable NPC was pretty useless there anyway, and it was too much of a chore to kill off the enemies so he could spawn.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

keep in mind that summoning phantoms gives the bosses proportionately more health too, so if the phantoms aren't on point and die before the boss dies, you're actually left having to fight a boss that's harder than if you just went in on your own.

that's the reason that i ended up fighting most of the bosses solo - it felt like AI phantoms were a real crapshoot on whether or not they'd pull their weight enough to offset the increased boss difficulty, and player phantoms aren't much more of a guarantee. basically the only bosses where it felt advantageous to have a summon were the bosses that could only target one player at a time (few/no AoE attacks, not huge enough to cover the whole arena, no additional adds or multi-segment parts) so one player can just act as a perpetual decoy while the other player stabs the boss in the butt with no repercussions.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If you want to summon, summon. I wouldn't trade my first time runs of these games for doing them another way, but that's me. Playing offline and tackling bosses solo keeps the dread and mystery sustained because you're never warned about when a boss or trap is coming, you might miss characters or items, or you might make the wrong choice in a quest or miss questlines entirely. I like feeling unmoored and threatened in these games because they do it as well as the best survival horrors (or better). But that's me, jolly cooperation is fine if you wanna go that route, it's a video game not a holy writ.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If you want to summon, summon. I wouldn't trade my first time runs of these games for doing them another way, but that's me. Playing offline and tackling bosses solo keeps the dread and mystery sustained because you're never warned about when a boss or trap is coming, you might miss characters or items, or you might make the wrong choice in a quest or miss questlines entirely. I like feeling unmoored and threatened in these games because they do it as well as the best survival horrors (or better). But that's me, jolly cooperation is fine if you wanna go that route, it's a video game not a holy writ.

Whether you summon, get summoned, or neither, you should always play these games online your first time through.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Sunbros depend on being summoned for their medallions, plus you both get an ember for killing the guy or getting to the fog gate. Summoning is cool and good and a 100% intended feature. You don't need to solo the game blindfolded with nipple clamps on and anyone making a big deal about Dark Souls street cred can gently caress off. If you want to solo everything, go for it. If you want to summon a friend, go for it. Funhaving and fashion souls is the name of the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

And Tyler Too! posted:

The Sunbros depend on being summoned for their medallions, plus you both get an ember for killing the guy or getting to the fog gate. Summoning is cool and good and a 100% intended feature. You don't need to solo the game blindfolded with nipple clamps on and anyone making a big deal about Dark Souls street cred can gently caress off.
nobody is saying anything near this

they just said the game is more satisfying to beat solo(because you did it all by yourself(this is true btw))

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What if some people have fun playing it co-op, like with a friend, more than solo? Dark Souls 2 had more co-op features and the small whitestone was drat nice.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Also, what if you just like feeling and visuals of fighting with a cool NPC?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The only correct way is to summon a purple to help you and then getting murdered by said purple. Namaste

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

they just said the game is more satisfying to beat solo(because you did it all by yourself(this is true btw))

lol good lord....

It's a videogame. You didn't read Infinite Jest including the endnotes. I'm satisfied with a videogame if I had fun, not if I met some arbitrary challenge threshold.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
On the other hand you shouldn't feel personally attacked by a suggestion/opinion that wasn't presented in a way that was remotely dickish. The dude was literally like hey guys I THINK the game is more satisfying this way.

That "I think" qualifier = his opinion, which is perfectly fine here.

That's when the other guy came in and was like you bunch of condescending jerks are the reason people voted for Trump stay away from souls games!

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 23, 2019

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

KingSlime posted:

That's when the other guy came in and was like you bunch of condescending jerks are the reason people voted for Trump stay away from souls games!

lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The real hard mode is playing solo in the game of life

:smith:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lol just lol if you don't beat Dark Souls using only your tongue

(llllllllladies :grin:)
(e: and fellas too :grin::grin:)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Y'all are talking about summoning for bosses, but what about summoning for areas? I think it's important not to in the earlier games in the series, since they're actually really effective and tense horror experiences, and having a phantom that knows what's around the next corner ruins that. DS3 is a press circle simulator though so it probably matters a lot less.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Nuns with Guns posted:

The real hard mode is playing solo in the game of life

:smith:

Life is a Soulslike.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

On my first character it took my a good long time to beat Iudex Gundyr. Finally got a a new area! Firelink shrine!

Rushed in and saw something slouching on the stairs. Time for a backstab! :black101:

Of course I angered Hawkwood and my game was hosed and I had to start over :saddowns:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Life is a Soulslike.

Oh, that explains why everyone I meet immediately starts fishing for a backstab!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

axolotl farmer posted:

On my first character it took my a good long time to beat Iudex Gundyr. Finally got a a new area! Firelink shrine!

Rushed in and saw something slouching on the stairs. Time for a backstab! :black101:

Of course I angered Hawkwood and my game was hosed and I had to start over :saddowns:

lol did you not play dark souls 1? You should do that first