Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've never been stuck on the faction select screen of a Total War game before. Too many fond Dynasty Warriors memories to commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i just captured a garrisoned city by sieging it down till they surrendered. not sure if ive ever won a siege without fighting before in the franchise

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So is playing the yellow turbans any good?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Is it worth playing without Yellow Turban DLC or should I just fork over the £2 to cdkeys

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am loving how aggressive the AI is on the strategic map.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i can tell im going to lose a ton of time to this

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Is it good?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NewMars posted:

So is playing the yellow turbans any good?

They seem to be the game's hard mode.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Rob Zacny's review on Vice, calling it the best TW game in a decade

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/neadzz/three-kingdoms-is-the-best-total-war-game-in-a-decade

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I haven't been able to get extremely into a Total War game since Shogun 2, so I have high hopes. Also high hopes that the co-op is good, like Shogun 2.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
This game also seems to be selling extremely good for a TW game, over 120.000 players on steam, already surpassed peak WH1.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

That hostile armies can still run away from you in long march stance is some incredible bullshit.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Hi all, did CA add an AI this time or is it the same random slop as always

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
I just had my iron mine taken by some yellow turban guy who I have a mission to wipe out. Rushed back over to lay siege and they attacked, my advisors predicted a valiant defeat but I fought anyway. It was the faction leader, his heir, and some other scholar and they all had the refuse to duel up immediately...yet the faction leader decided to duel Zan’s bff and like the first duel got smoked really quick.

Battle was a loving route after that and we ended with a close victory. He still held the mine but his scholar wanted to defect so we took him. His heir declined because he was the heir...so he was executed :commissar:
Besieged the mine again (which hey, the map was an iron mine!) but I demanded he surrender which he did. Now some cousin of Zan and myself are taking everything from them.

Game owns.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Game is pretty cool and fun so far, my main gripe is the UI though. It feels horrible and doesn't convey information well.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I can definitely understand the complaints about battles, units don't feel like they have a big, decisive roles. I'll get used to it, probably, but at face value it feels a little more nebulous.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Electronico6 posted:

That hostile armies can still run away from you in long march stance is some incredible bullshit.

Yeah this is something they made worse from Warhams and was everyone's main CAI complaint

So add another thing to the "CA doesn't know how it's own games are played" pile

sassassin posted:

I've never been stuck on the faction select screen of a Total War game before. Too many fond Dynasty Warriors memories to commit.

This happened to me, torn hard between bandit queen, sun jian and yellow turbans but I decided to start as liu bei so I get guan yu and the campaign is simple enough. All the others have added mechanics I'll check out later.

Glad I did cause theres so much poo poo and in TW fashion I don't know how much of it is important and how much is pointless

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The F1 and F2 help options seem way better this time around.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

when someone asks me to do stuff at work today.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Would be cool if important characters had a link to wikipedia (like in CK2) or some other indication that they are part of the story. I feel like I'm missing out by not knowing who anyone is.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I didn't play long as I do have to actually WORK GEEZ PEOPLE, but has anyone figured out the go-to for sieges in the beginning? I did a couple turns as the tribal governor boi and got pretty bloodied by a local garrison and some walls, mostly by way of the towers mulching the low unit counts.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

disjoe posted:

when someone asks me to do stuff at work today.

That scene and really any of them between Cao Cao and Yuan Shao are always amazing

Anno
May 10, 2017

Gamerofthegame posted:

I didn't play long as I do have to actually WORK GEEZ PEOPLE, but has anyone figured out the go-to for sieges in the beginning? I did a couple turns as the tribal governor boi and got pretty bloodied by a local garrison and some walls, mostly by way of the towers mulching the low unit counts.

If you have sufficient supplies I think trying to starve them out is pretty helpful. Even if it just drives them to sally out beyond the walls. Best case they just surrender, and there’s at least one event that can help sabotage the city to make an assault easier.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Wowza, macOS/Linux same-day release: https://twitter.com/feralgames/status/1131515129563111425

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hows performance compared to warhams? Better? Anyone actually playing on extreme unit sizes

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Hows performance compared to warhams? Better? Anyone actually playing on extreme unit sizes

I'm getting 40-50 FPS @ 4k Ultra minus screen space reflections and 80% rendering. This is on Ryzen 2700x and a GTX 2080. 60+ Ultra on any resolution lower than 4k.

End turns are super fast and smooth which is a god send.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

been watching the ai walk circles around the map, looking for my hidden army, for 10 minutes now

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
TW gameplay is TW gameplay so the main thing I'm interested in is the new diplomacy/character stuff they're selling pretty hard. Does it make for interesting gameplay stuff?

The other thing I'm worried about is the old strategy endgame bloat. It felt like that kind of thing was contained in Warhammer since victory wasn't tied to painting the map but the Three Kingdoms was very much about painting the map. Has anyone or any reviews gotten fart enough to know is the endgame becomes a huge slow slog to victory?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
its actually really funny that china has less factions and faster end turn times than britain

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wow my fps really drops to poo poo at the end of the battle benchmark scene

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hentai Jihadist posted:

its actually really funny that china has less factions and faster end turn times than britain

I think they solved this in part by consolidating most of the complete nobody no-names into a generic "Han" faction.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
For champions it says "best grouped with retinues of spear infantry" but like, why? The champion high authority resolve stat gives him bonus health, but can't see any effect on retinue troops?

I guess Cao Cao is meant to be easy but I just got totally wiped out by Yuan Shu lol

fuf fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 23, 2019

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The AI is a lot more aggressive this time around, but I'm going to figure out how to add 10% movespeed in home provinces. The usual 'enemy army retreating in circles in your land' thing is back.

Anno
May 10, 2017

fuf posted:

For champions it says "best grouped with retinues of spear infantry" but like, why? The champion high authority stat gives him bonus health, but can't see any effect on retinue troops?

I guess Cao Cao is meant to be easy but I just got totally wiped out by Yuan Shu lol

I think it’s because their level up abilities and some unique items for legendary characters tends towards buffing that unit type. But yeah I haven’t been able to find a stat relationship for green units/characters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

fuf posted:

For champions it says "best grouped with retinues of spear infantry" but like, why? The champion high authority stat gives him bonus health, but can't see any effect on retinue troops?

Class's first major effect on retinue is troop type recruits; only strategists get crossbows/trebs, only champs get heavy spears, etc. Secondly, they typically have skills that encourage you to stack that unit type in some way somewhere in their tree; off the top of my head I know champions get +10% bonus AP to any spearmen in their retinue off a skill, strategists get easy access to fire arrows and their stat increases ammo, etc.

It's less of a "champion should only use spears in retinue, period" and more "a champion using spears will have the best spears around if he's skilled up for that purpose".

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Alright that makes sense, thanks both.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The quickdeal diplomacy stuff is really nice. I hope that makes its way into all future games.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Anno posted:

The quickdeal diplomacy stuff is really nice. I hope that makes its way into all future games.

yeah this and the tech every 5 turns is a big upgrade imo

also i like this exchange i just had

Sun Jian: I will join a pact with you, but I require a monthly tribute of food

Me: Hmm, can I interest you in this clay pig and £55?

Sun Jian: *Strokes beard* Acceptable

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i still havent replaced liu beis starting troops so he's just got a wall of trash that runs in after zhang fei and guan yu kill everyone

e: i like this game I think, some of the stuff I'm not sure on but turn times are the number 1 dealbreaker for me and the turns are fast as hell
also i'm basically dominating every field battle, though seiges are tougher

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

The only thing keeping me from playing WH2 more often are the loading and turn times and this game seems to have solved it. Sometimes I still reach for my phone once I press end turn out of habit...