Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

turn off the TV posted:

lol if you're worried about tornadoes hitting the plains states instead of the us south

the south can gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Addamere posted:

Someone gimme the rundown on the consequences of barges full of fertilizer all up in that water

the proper scientific term for this kind of event is "super chernobyl," i would expect at least one million deaths if not more

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Addamere posted:

Someone gimme the rundown on the consequences of barges full of fertilizer all up in that water

shitwater is undrinkable and algae blooms take up all the oxygen in water which renders it uninhabitable to all but anaerobic bacteria (i.e. the kind that tend to kill animals including humans if they get inside you)

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

totally normal to have to delay an ice hockey game because of a tornado

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

tornado alley has been expanded and is now tornado avenue

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JuulPodSaveAmerica posted:

conditions after a flood are associated with massive algae blooms anyways but lmao at two full barges of fertillizer just being dumped into the water

hey the midwest and south is used to having mega tailings n toxic dumps and oil spills and pig poo poo ponds breaking from being overloaded and making GBS threads all over them

and they love it

this is nbd

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Southern man better keep your head
Don't forget what your good book said
Southern change gonna come at last
Now your crosses are flooding fast

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

How am I supposed to relate to an abandoned object helplessly carried along currents it doesn't understand, which is expected to make a real impact only to fall apart and poo poo everything up immediately on arrival?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Al! posted:

the south can gently caress off

I'm torn between yes of course but also we're not all terrible down here.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the bitcoin of weed posted:

oh, that's literally the entire thing. And these storms are currently forecasted to last through memorial day, at least. That's a ridiculous amount of water all going to 1 place, and a lot of those upper river systems are already flooding in nebraska and oklahoma

I live near the Kaw (or Kansas) River- last week's storms saw levels get high enough to go just over ground level on the river side of the levee, and the creek running behind my house flooded the basketball court/flood reservoir, but was still about 10' too low to touch my ground-floor patio. We've been in near-drought conditions for over a decade, though

we're prolly getting spared the worst that NE and OK are getting because our river system is so small/megastorms tend to sort of wrap around the area and break up over the hillier parts of KS

Peanut Butler has issued a correction as of 19:17 on May 23, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PostNouveau posted:

Hopefully they flood Baton Rouge before New Orleans

lol morgan city's gonna get it first if they really hafta cut loose with the spillway

it's amazing that they let people live there. poo poo, they gave them the land for free what did they think was gonna happen

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

turn off the TV posted:

lol if you're worried about tornadoes hitting the plains states instead of the us south

actually this already happens during hurricanes

the greater treecover there makes them a lot more short-lived

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

actually this already happens during hurricanes

the greater treecover there makes them a lot more short-lived

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
im the one vermonter to die in a tornado last year lmfao

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

also yeah plains tornadoes g e n e r a l l y dont hit big population centers- people have been settling in the calmer storm zones of the plains for thousands of years, and when europeans got here they generally stuck to the same population centers because, hey, look at all these ancient orchards and native folks telling us 'oh yeah deffo stay here during tornado season'. Like there are all kinds of places in the plains with good soil and access to fresh water, but almost no one lives there because the weather gets disastrously catastrophic every 5-10 years or so

that said, if you're in the rural plains more than an hour from even a town of 100k, look tf out, but they already know that

e: the thing about settlements being in zones where tornadoes are less statistically likely to happen is prolly nationwide, tho that might change if weather patterns change- sprawl is changing that a lil bit on the edges of the KC metro, as well

Peanut Butler has issued a correction as of 19:28 on May 23, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol morgan city's gonna get it first if they really hafta cut loose with the spillway

it's amazing that they let people live there. poo poo, they gave them the land for free what did they think was gonna happen

Well yeah obviously all those folks are hosed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
cant wait for states to have 2 senators with a population of 1000 because everyone else died n moved to colorado

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
not like that's much difference than today tbf

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Doc Walrus posted:

How am I supposed to relate to an abandoned object helplessly carried along currents it doesn't understand, which is expected to make a real impact only to fall apart and poo poo everything up immediately on arrival?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

at least all this rain will help out the Ogallala, right? :shepface:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Roll tide

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there is zero chance that these barges did no damage at all to the dam and weakening it when there's still more rain to come, in addition to the rain that's already fallen and not flowed through the watershed, will probably end well

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there is zero chance that these barges did no damage at all to the dam and weakening it when there's still more rain to come, in addition to the rain that's already fallen and not flowed through the watershed, will probably end well

[FLOOD AGAIN?] Too bad the dam won't exist anymore

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bad news coming - barges containing oxidizing agents and blasting caps have also broken loose and are heading downriver toward the fertilizer barges

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

bad news coming - barges containing oxidizing agents and blasting caps have also broken loose and are heading downriver toward the fertilizer barges

why did they build that federal building and daycare center on that dam??? its like catnip to those things

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

tis but a scratch

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
pay me two bitcoins and I'll ferry you across the River Shits

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Epic High Five posted:

nuclear barge coming down the pipe

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Admiral Ray posted:

nuclear barge coming down the pipe

dont tease me with blast corps 2 like that

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nuclear barge, truck bomb barge, Ork barge, really makes you wonder what they're gettin up to up there

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

twoday posted:

How's the modding in that subforum? How is the tolerance for poo poo posting?

I am kind of the mod of the Dutch thread there, but only because the actual mods can't read dutch and I wrote the rules in such a way that they cannot be google-translated and wouldn't make sense to people who don't post there, and I allow shitposting but it's really kind of a mad max situation

they let me poo poo post as long as I add a weather photo. for now anyway

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
also grab your water wings Tulsa

https://twitter.com/4029darby/status/1131676077380837376?s=21

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Peanut Butler posted:

also yeah plains tornadoes g e n e r a l l y dont hit big population centers- people have been settling in the calmer storm zones of the plains for thousands of years, and when europeans got here they generally stuck to the same population centers because, hey, look at all these ancient orchards and native folks telling us 'oh yeah deffo stay here during tornado season'. Like there are all kinds of places in the plains with good soil and access to fresh water, but almost no one lives there because the weather gets disastrously catastrophic every 5-10 years or so

that said, if you're in the rural plains more than an hour from even a town of 100k, look tf out, but they already know that

e: the thing about settlements being in zones where tornadoes are less statistically likely to happen is prolly nationwide, tho that might change if weather patterns change- sprawl is changing that a lil bit on the edges of the KC metro, as well

neat. i'd be shocked if climate change didn't cause tornado areas to shift and put previously safe places at risk

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

lol yeah 'if' was a p optimistic term to use there

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KTULNews/status/1131344069442117633?s=19
Infrastructure week

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
you wanna party

because it’s a super cell party in the panhandle

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

turn off the TV posted:

the proper scientific term for this kind of event is "super chernobyl," i would expect at least one million deaths if not more

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

glad dams almost exploding every year and then being ignored afterward is now routine

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I'm an hours drive from the Mississippi, this should be a good few weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

you wanna party