Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

rabban wakes up with a severed sandworm head next to him in the bed. its 40 feet wide (he has a really big bed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Baron: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy poo poo with us, you ride a worm out on the dunes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your rear end and pull the loving maker hooks 'til it goes "plop”.

Gurney: Eight year olds, Duke.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Baron: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy poo poo with us, you ride a worm out on the dunes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your rear end and pull the loving maker hooks 'til it goes "plop”.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Anne Frank Funk posted:

:five:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Leave the lasgun, bring the spice cannoli.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
It is kinda weird that they recast a few folks between the series but then re-used Karel Dobry from Liet Kynes to Korba.

I thought that he did have a striking appearance that worked well for a near prophet/demagogue, I guess they did too?

ashley
Oct 20, 2008

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I really like how they did Edric's death in the mediocre TV show. Where he's in an acclimatized glass chamber in the Guild embassy, and they just smash it open with a hammer and leave him to flounder to death like a fish out of water...If i recall, the whole scene is done up like the assassination montage at the end of The Godfather. But unfortunately, I can't seem to find it on Youtube, so I might be misremembering things.

If this works, here it is:
https://youtu.be/hHy-OxoT7zU
I was obsessed with both the mini-series in high school, have watched this far too many times.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Tangentially connected, Azam Ali sang that song (Inama Nushif). She also did an album based almost entirely off of the poetry of Rumi. 'The Hunt' is a really good one, whether you speak Persian or not.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Zeniel posted:

Paul's in the Opera watching Pagliacci whilst his Fedaykin are out Tommy gunning his political rivals.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Fedaykin with me! I gotta pee

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ashley posted:

If this works, here it is:
https://youtu.be/hHy-OxoT7zU
I was obsessed with both the mini-series in high school, have watched this far too many times.

Forgot how cringeworthy it was.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Did the miniseries not have stone burner/Paolo going blind?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Did the miniseries not have stone burner/Paolo going blind?

That happens in the sequel miniseries to the miniseries Children of dune which includes dune messiah

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

But the clip shows him with eyes at the point where he would have 2 gaping holes instead :goatsecx:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I mean I've not read that far into Dune Messiah, but does the stone burners really burn Paul's eyes clean out of his sockets???

I'd have thought that they were just bright enough to permanently damage the cones and rods or whatever.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Zeniel posted:

I mean I've not read that far into Dune Messiah, but does the stone burners really burn Paul's eyes clean out of his sockets???

I'd have thought that they were just bright enough to permanently damage the cones and rods or whatever.

It dissolves eye tissue. :hb:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah the radiation straight up destroys your eyes and dissolves them, leaving ragged holes

ashley
Oct 20, 2008
The stone burner had already happened by the point of that montage. For the burnt out eyes they just had the actor wear black contacts for the rest of the mini-series lol.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1131569747013840896

We might have a Shadout Mapes (click to see thread).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hey thread, I’m rereading Messiah and is it just me or does this passage make no sense

quote:

”Idaho’s dead,” Irulan said. “Paul has mourned the loss often in my presence. He saw Idaho killed by my father’s Sardaukar.”

“Even in defeat,” Edric said, “your father’s Sardaukar did not abandon wisdom. Let us suppose a wise Sardaukar commander recognized the sword-master in a corpse his men had slain. What then? There exist uses for such flesh and training . . . if one acts swiftly.”

“A Tleilaxu ghola,” Irulan whispered...

[later, Edric]”No; let us assume that our wise Sardaukar commander had Idaho’s corpse preserved for the axolotl tanks. Why not? This corpse held the flesh and nerves of one of the finest swordsmen in history, an adviser to the Atreides, a military genius. What a waste to lose all that training and ability when it might be revived as an instructor for the Sardaukar.”

“I heard not a whisper of this and I was one of my father’s confidantes,” Irulan said.

“Ahh, but your father was a defeated man and within a few hours you had been sold to the new Emperor,” Edric said.

Edric is talking here like Idaho was killed in the battle where Paul defeated Shaddam, but that isn’t right at all — he died like two or three years before, when Shaddam/Baron H destroyed Leto Sr. And Irulan has to know that if she’s heard the story from Paul himself. Does this ever come up again or was Herbert just smoking crack?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Still waiting for Lovely Feyd. And Liet. Any other major characters uncast?

Also still holding out for Tom Holland for Feyd. If Zendaya has free time will Tom be able to make it? He might have other responsibilities in the MCU but Feyd doesn't have many scenes in the first half of the book.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Feyd doesn’t have many scenes full stop.

1) Baron and Piter explain the plot (“Lovely Feyd”)
2) arena fight when the Fenrings visit
3) failed assassination, the Baron makes him kill every hooker
4) the end, he talks a load of poo poo and gets shanked

Also Paul is the twinky one. Feyd should be swole

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

exmachina posted:

Also still holding out for Tom Holland for Feyd. If Zendaya has free time will Tom be able to make it? He might have other responsibilities in the MCU but Feyd doesn't have many scenes in the first half of the book.

Irulian, Shaddam, and if he's in it, Fenrig. We also need confirmation on Hawat and Mapes.

My biggest thing against Tom Holland is that I've never seen him in a villainous role, I don't know how well he'd do with it. He is a good actor though.

Also if he were cast as Feyd, he would have told everyone on twitter a long time ago.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 23, 2019

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

skasion posted:

Feyd doesn’t have many scenes full stop.

1) Baron and Piter explain the plot (“Lovely Feyd”)
2) arena fight when the Fenrings visit
3) failed assassination, the Baron makes him kill every hooker
4) the end, he talks a load of poo poo and gets shanked

Also Paul is the twinky one. Feyd should be swole

And only 1 of those is before either of the 2 natural End points for movie 1 which are a) Paul and Jessica dive into the storm or b) after the large time passage, which would start, iirc, with the Arena fight.

Also Tom is pretty ripped, man.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

AFewBricksShy posted:

Irulian and Shaddam, as well as confirmation on Hawat and Mapes.

My biggest thing against Tom Holland is that I've never seen him in a villainous role, I don't know how well he'd do with it. He is a good actor though.
Irulan technically has a single non-speaking scene, although she will probably do voice-overs since that is what the vignettes effectively are in the books.

quote:

Also if he were cast as Feyd, he would have told everyone on twitter a long time ago.

Truth

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

andrew smash posted:

It was weird in the book anyway, the fremen are otherwise pretty egalitarian with regard to women, they fight and ride worms and all that poo poo too.
It's been a while since I read the other five but I reread Dune recently (thanks to this thread!). The raiding parties are definitely based on skill (e.g., Chani). Those who are not skilled enough, or are surplus to requirements in terms of number, do the equally important job of running the sietch -- not just caring for the young and infirm, but keeping the machines running to fabricate whatever the plastic they use is called, etc.

The disturbing thing from a TYOOL 2019 view is why so many women, relatively speaking, are not able to go on the raiding parties. Oh well, not nearly as sexist as many authors of the time and Herbert actually develops his female characters as almost-formed humans so time-appropriate kudos for that.

PS if Toto doesn't do the score I'm going to burn down the nearest theatre showing it. I will also accept Vangelis as there was a period in my life when I couldn't remember which did Dune and which did Blade Runner.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Fremen are hyper pragmatist and communitarian, they don’t give a poo poo about equality in itself and their society explicitly operates by survival of the fittest, kill the boss to become the boss. The path for women to ascend in their society is a religious/ritual one (Sayyadina/Reverend Mother) not a fighting one. It doesn’t mean the women can’t fight, they’re expected to be able to, but it’s obvious that military/temporal leadership is a Guy Thing.

The real weirdest sex thing in the Dune books (and oh boy there are many competitors) is why polygamy is unheard of and oh noes your true love can only ever be your concubine. Bullshit, these people are absolute aristos, they’re a law in themselves and barely believe in religion, who’s going to stop you marrying twice? The Space Pope?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
No, the Landsraad will. Polygamy leads to succession crises, which leads to political instability, and reduces the effectiveness of political marriages, which lessens the power of the Great Houses.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also it's probably in the Orange Catholic Bible, and the general morals laid down in there do seem to hold a fair bit of sway in terms of acceptable public behavior.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

exmachina posted:

Tom Holland would be a terrible Feyd.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

kiimo posted:

Tom Holland would be a terrible Feyd.

If we're stuck fan casting from the marvel universe, I'd pick Tom Hiddleston. He's way older than Chalamet, (and I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be roughly the same age) but he'd be good.

Looking at people born in 1995 (gently caress I feel old) Stellan Skarsgard's son Valter would fit. I haven't seen him but 3 of his brothers are pretty loving great, as is his dad, so hopefully it's genetic.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1311373/

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 23, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

skasion posted:

Hey thread, I’m rereading Messiah and is it just me or does this passage make no sense

Edric is talking here like Idaho was killed in the battle where Paul defeated Shaddam, but that isn’t right at all — he died like two or three years before, when Shaddam/Baron H destroyed Leto Sr. And Irulan has to know that if she’s heard the story from Paul himself. Does this ever come up again or was Herbert just smoking crack?

yeah that's weird.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I liked James Watson's Idaho, but the last time I saw the miniseries was probably a decade ago and even then it didn't age well. Anyone else remember if he was good or bad?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I could vote for Robert Sheehan for Feyd, after seeing his performance as Klaus on Umbrella Academy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

I could vote for Robert Sheehan for Feyd, after seeing his performance as Klaus on Umbrella Academy.

This, however, is genius.

I mean, start lifting yesterday but yeah.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was talking to a friend about casting for the Fenrings and I wonder how they're gonna do the secret humming dialogue

anyway my friend thought that the Dune movie would need special prosthetics people to make the Fenring's makeup and I was like, well, why? And he said to make their faces look like rats. He thought the "rat-faced" description meant they had literal faces of rats

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phi230 posted:

I was talking to a friend about casting for the Fenrings and I wonder how they're gonna do the secret humming dialogue

anyway my friend thought that the Dune movie would need special prosthetics people to make the Fenring's makeup and I was like, well, why? And he said to make their faces look like rats. He thought the "rat-faced" description meant they had literal faces of rats

:eng101: lady fenring was a stone hottie, it was the count who looked like a rat.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Phi230 posted:

I always imagine this sounding like the skeksis chamberlain tbh

https://youtu.be/Jyl-p-llPiU

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 23, 2019

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

:eng101: lady fenring was a stone hottie, it was the count who looked like a rat.

are you calling me out? May your posts chip and shatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phi230 posted:

are you calling me out? May your posts chip and shatter

These posts will break, then.