Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hwurmp posted:

not enough dick jokes

never enough dick jokes :negative:

I got you covered boo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
My biggest regret is that I leaned so heavily on emulating other people's styles early on. Most of my early LPs were picking up series that other people had stopped, so it made sense to do my follow-ups in the same style. It worked out, and I got to try things I probably never would have dabbled in on my own, but it was a long time before I really developed a style of my own. I tried way too hard to be funny, used a lot of jokes that I wish in retrospect I hadn't, and wanted to fit in when I don't think I really understood the community. I don't think any of that has changed, honestly, but I'm a lot more comfortable with the process. I'm finally using scripts and organizing my files to streamline everything I do, so I can focus more on the content and let the technical aspects handle themselves.

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
Well, it's not exactly related to SA, but it kind of is? I have 9 unfinished LPs from before I made an account here, and now I am really regretting that because I don't want to be known for not finishing LPs, but it also means that I feel obligated finishing them before I make an LP on here.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I regret thinking recording commentary in a padded walk-in closet for four years was a good idea. :(

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My first LP was stupidly started right before I had to leave on vacation, so I ended up flooding the thread with daily updates (or even multiple per day) to try and get as much content out at once, which meant one page would have dozens of images. Nobody had any interest in following that, which led to me losing interest and dropping it shortly after returning.

And my 7.62 High Caliber LP was a lofty goal that was ultimately way too much effort. The screenshots were relatively low resolution because people have some weird phobia of TIMG in LPs and it was hard for the players to read the map, and then you had the difficulty of goons keeping interest in giving orders for their mercs.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GrandmaParty posted:

Someone in the Discord dug up an old thread called "I hated every LP I ever made." Which while neat, is also four years old and doesn't bear resurrecting.

But that's what I'm curious about. For the LPers that read this thread, what are you working on that you wish you'd have changed? And what are you working on technically now?

I've only got the one under my belt. And god, I wish I could re-record the audio for the first episode. It's so integral to the experience and I think a ton of people tuned out.

Right now I'm working on more game-focused commentary instead of just going batshit all over the place with it but also finding a good mix. It's rough.

Really wish I'd known about some run-ending stuff before I tried to be a pilot for Mother Russia.

I almost wish I'd done video format for a very long LP of mine, rather than screenshots, because I burnt myself out after like... 2 years and I hesitate going back to it even though I really want to finish it.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

When I first started making LPs, for some reason I thought every LP needed audience interaction in the form of voting. So a number of my LPs were full of inappropriate polls and pauses as a result.

Of course, my more recent LPs often don't have any audience to speak of, so maybe Past Me was the smarter one...

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
I think my only big regret about my old LPs is that I didn't do a whole lot of experimenting with any settings or anything with Vegas because I was apparently afraid I'd break something. I never got clear, non-ghosted 720p videos until Paradise Lost in 2016, and if I'd actually looked at or paid any attention to my settings before then I probably would have had that from the start.

There were also those times pre-SA when I did sort-of megathreads for two games at once, and I don't think either of them went well - the first one I was updating maybe once a month if I was lucky, not to mention I hadn't even personally played much of one of the games in question before starting the LP so I didn't even know in advance whether I'd have been able to finish the LP if, say, the second level of the fourth episode started throwing previous bosses at me. The second one was a mixed bag; having an actual backlog that was finished halfway through the LP was pretty neat. Inundating the thread with three or four videos every week was not. Hell, even putting out videos every three or four days for Paradise Lost or twice weekly for Blood II was probably pushing it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My regret for my old MHW LP was that I never got a co-host who I could bounce off, because I do not talk to myself very well it turns out.

I'll see what I end up regretting on my current SSLP.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

My regret for my old MHW LP was that I never got a co-host who I could bounce off, because I do not talk to myself very well it turns out.

I'll see what I end up regretting on my current SSLP.

I regret doing Neptunia with you.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

That was one reason I stuck with subtitles for mine. As much as I'm able to talk to myself but doing it about a video in a serious or informative manner just didn't work for me.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Leal posted:

I regret doing Neptunia with you.

To this day I'm still not entirely sure why I volunteered for that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

To this day I'm still not entirely sure why I volunteered for that.

Deep down you wanted to experience it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As I said in that last thread, I'm not a fan of the narrative LP I did for Legend of Mana and would probably switch to completely commentary if I ever felt compelled to do it again.

I regret the handful of times I tried two LPs at once. It never worked out, and it's stupid I kept trying to juggle those.

There's a lot of minor edits I'd like to go back and do to a few of my LPs too, especially my early ones. Stacks of screenshots, poor choices of words, a few bad jokes. Nothing really significant.

For my current LP of Octopath I regret trying to post an update every day, not because of burnout oddly enough, but because it probably made following the early parts a chore due to the sheer number of updates.

Otherwise my LPs are perfect.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Mega64 posted:

I regret the handful of times I tried two LPs at once. It never worked out, and it's stupid I kept trying to juggle those.
I've pretty much had two concurrent LPs going since 2016. I know it's a bad idea, but having a couple of different things to work on can be a nice change of pace. Those Persona 2 and The Witcher LPs I had to abandon (or put on an indefinite hiatus, as I like to call it) a couple of years ago were abandoned because I was in a seriously bad place in my life, not because I couldn't handle two simultaneous LPs. Of course, at the moment I haven't updated one of my current LPs in over a month because I haven't had the time or energy... :eng99:

I slightly regret not figuring out how anamorphic widescreen works before I started my Yakuza LP, because now the first 17 or so episodes are displayed at an overly narrow aspect ratio (the anamorphic widescreen image is rendered at a narrower resolution and you're supposed to stretch the image to a full 16:9 on your TV or, in my case, in editing). That said, not many people watched that LP in the first place and even fewer probably cared about the issue, and I'm far from the only LPer to make that mistake.

In general, my main problem when it comes to LPing is that I still don't have a lot of confidence when it comes to voiced commentary. I'm getting more comfortable at it (no longer using scripts or needing multiple takes for everything), but I still often feel like I sound like a complete idiot as I talk over video game footage in a stupid accent. :finland:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Doc M posted:

but I still often feel like I sound like a complete idiot as I talk over video game footage in a stupid accent. :finland:

Yeah I know that feeling. Also one of the deal breakers that made me stick with subtitles for my own stuff.
Still not used to my own voice despite having recorded a whole bunch of other gaming videos for that part.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Honestly give co-commentary a shot if you want to do voiced LPs. A lot of people do audacity syncing but if you use Craig for Discord, it's a piece of cake and auto-syncs for you. The most fun I've had doing LPs is actually just joking around with the co-commentators.

Check out Subponticate Poster as well for a really good solo commentary LPer.

I tried to do YIIK solo and immediately freaked out and got my wife involved, who told me she'd divorce me if I made her listen to YIIK.

I'd LOVE to do an LP with just my wife but I don't have the time to do two LPs. Maybe if I only updated that one once a week.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
When I first started out I was a heavy smoker and I can hear a noticeable wheeze in some of my earlier LPs. Two of my first LP projects were mega threads of a series of games. I don't regret doing them, but if I had known better I wouldn't have done them back to back.

My personal life and mental health took a nose dive a few years ago which resulted in a two year hiatus. I should have taken a break sooner though. My last LP before the break made me realise that I needed to stop. I really should apologise to Bobbin Threadbare, he was courteous enough to agree to co-commentary. But I panicked during the one and only recording and had a panic attack afterwards.

Since I started up again my only regret so far is in not preparing more for it. I've made some rookie mistakes initially but I feel like I'm improving the more I go.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
While doing my MechCommander LP, I gave into pressure to do a MC2 LP. And the game sucked, I didn't like it, and I just gave up on it. Which led to my personal rule I only apply to myself - Only LP games you like or love. Don't force yourself to do something you don't have the enthusiasm for because someone wanted you to.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

berryjon posted:

While doing my MechCommander LP, I gave into pressure to do a MC2 LP. And the game sucked, I didn't like it, and I just gave up on it. Which led to my personal rule I only apply to myself - Only LP games you like or love. Don't force yourself to do something you don't have the enthusiasm for because someone wanted you to.

This is a really good lesson. It can be fun to read someone making fun of something bad, but in my experience the commentary almost always turns into an endless stream of "oh god why".

It's kind of a meta thing, but my litmus test for whether I'll even start an LP is if during the process of writing the first few updates/editing the first few videos, I'm excited to continue working. If so, then I'll keep going. But if in the process of working on those updates, my commentary becomes "I'm skipping most of this text" and "Wow, this sure looks pretty in motion but in still screenshots it's become the poster child for overused bloom" then I don't continue the project.

It's why despite loving the games, I've come to terms with never doing another .hack LP. The sequel series is really good and plays well, but my commentary for the updates I wrote was overall pretty down on the game. I started resenting how much useless dialogue there was and how loving dark the downscaled screenshots were. My currently-ongoing Dragon's Dogma LP has a similar problem, where 99% of the shots in the LP have to have the following code applied to their AVISynth script.

code:
return video.Tweak(bright=10, cont=1.5, sat=2.0)
Without it, the shots look like I play with the in-game brightness set to 0.

So basically, I agree with berryjon. If you start dreading update days, then it's probably a pretty good sign you shouldn't continue the LP.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I only played like, under half of Shadowrun on SNES before doing the narrative SSLP. I like to think it worked out almost passably but like, don't do that. It caused a lot of glaring issues.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

berryjon posted:

Don't force yourself to do something you don't have the enthusiasm for because someone wanted you to.

I can vouch for this as a good personal rule. LPing a game I didn't particularly want to do because a friend pressured me into it is a big reason why that first attempt at doing two LPs at once went so badly for me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
although i will add that LPing a game you love to hate is an absolute blast.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dash Rendar posted:

although i will add that LPing a game you love to hate is an absolute blast.

Hell yes. Especially if you have friends with you.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I've got a couple.

Power Ranger Dino Charge. It was a real slog to get through and by the end the commentary was just awful. The videos no longer exsist and I really don;t feel like revisiting the game anytime soon.

The Humongous Entertainment series. I tried to turn it into an edutainment megathread but I never finished the HE game mostly to the games getting longer and my commentary being solo and just devolving into we go here and do this. Plus the only other edutainment that got touched on were Jumpstart 3rd grade in streams and 3 updates of a Jumpstart 4th grade sslp from someone else.

one day I would like to revisit the HE games ether with a co commentator or doing it the way Nidoking is doing the Gobliiins series with someone (or several people) who never played the games.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

I only played like, under half of Shadowrun on SNES before doing the narrative SSLP. I like to think it worked out almost passably but like, don't do that. It caused a lot of glaring issues.

I'm fairly confident that was my first exposure to you.

Whether that means you should regret it more or less is up to you.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My regret is that I haven't been able to figure out how to get my entry for Dotchan's FFT 5JF onto the LP Archive.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

My regret is trusting yall that avisynth is the best way to make LPs.

Also I wish I found a better way to sub videos because making stuff with aegisub was a pain and took way too long, burning me out pretty fast.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Don't ever let anyone convince you to use avisynth short of being a free alternative of software with a GUI.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I learned how to use it and now I'm scared to learn anything else after beating my head against it for so long.

All I do is crop and trim anyway.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The two things I learned to do with AVISynth were splitting the video apart to rearrange as needed, and make GIFs that only animate part of the image. I don't do either often, so it's debatable if it was even worth it.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

Don't ever let anyone convince you to use avisynth short of being a free alternative of software with a GUI.

I used avisynth for quite a while because my computer decided to throw up and video editors refused to work.

I forget how many of my LPs were made by writing code into Notepad but it was a lot. But now I have Sony Vegas and get to go through the process of slowly figuring out how to use it as I make LPs.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My first LP was a multiplayer co-op affair where I decided that it would be a good idea to switch perspectives from time to time, showing either my or Bacter's perspective depending on which was the most interesting. This of course meant both my recording and his recording had to be precisely synchronized or else when I swapped perspectives it would desync with the commentary audio track.

We were using DOSBox's built-in recorder to record the videos, and the problem was his computer would sometimes drop frames. His video would invariably be 20-30 seconds shorter than mine. The frames dropped would be evenly scattered throughout the video, so it was impossible to just add some blank frames to his video and even it out that way, it would have desynced the videos.

What I had to do was write a script in avisynth that would find the difference in frames between the shorter video and the longer video, and duplicate frames on the shorter video until the shorter video had as many frames as the longer one. It worked amazingly well, and in the end product it was imperceptible that his video would, every N minutes, have one frame that was 2/60ths of a second long instead of 2 frames that were 1 60th of a second long. I don't know if this would have been possible with a program besides avisynth, but the moral of the story is don't do LPs with Bacter.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Eight years later and I still use AviSynth constantly for screenshots and videos. It's great for resizing/cropping images without using Irfanview, it's great to capture image sequences to convert into GIFs, and it's handy for simple videos.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it for video LPs that require actual editing, but it's utterly fantastic on the SSLP side of things.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I could never get avisynth working for my own needs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I bounced off hard from when I tried Avisynth ages ago. I did pretty much all of my editing with Premiere CS3 back then and even then I really didn't do anything hyper advanced. I think the hardest stuff I did was the fast forward stuff.
The HAWX LPs did let me tinker around a little with After Effects for the intro logos. That was fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you can't do it in Windows Movie Maker it's not worth doing

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I regret everything I have ever produced in this or any other subforum

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I regret the way I initially handled music in my ongoing Danganronpa V3 LP, and I'm gonna fix that in my next update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Avisynth is highly recommendable if you program in C professionally or as a hobby, and you're more comfortable thinking of clips and edits in terms of variables and functions. I can't possibly be the only person who does that and also edits video. But for everyone else, it's probably not very good.