Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Statutory Ape posted:

whats this about the research tree?

The research system is full of traps than can forbid you from researching certain technologies or even finishing the game, especifically if you research the Tasoth commander tech before resarching the leviathan sub, you won't be able to start the final mission, dunno if this was ever fixed.

Another annoying research feature is that you need a very especific living alien (a deep one terrorist iirc) to research the advanced armors, only spawns in early to mid game terror missions, so if you don't capture one, you get hosed and can't get the good armors. Ditto with the melee weapon tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
They fixed the research tree problems, some of them at least.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Further reading:
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/TRTBAG

e. ugh, that's pretty badly written article.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 14, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wish Firaxis would remake that game. Original XCom interface and isometric perspective is just too annoying at this stage.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

After the designs for all the ocean nations in Aquaman, we need a revisit to Terror from the Deep

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The ending of XCOM 2 certainly leaves the idea of some terrors from the deep an open possibility.

It also implies The Bureau is still relevant to the plot, if not 100% canonical. :getin:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

how does xcom 2 play with a controller on pc?

or i guess i could just use my little logitech kb/touchpad combo. thats a game i'd want to play from the couch or bed

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is The Bureau worth finishing? I got a cheap code for it around the time it came out, and played a little bit. While walking around the base I started to feel the whole thing was too "by the numbers" and haven't played since.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Casimir Radon posted:

Is The Bureau worth finishing? I got a cheap code for it around the time it came out, and played a little bit. While walking around the base I started to feel the whole thing was too "by the numbers" and haven't played since.

There's one somewhat neat plot thingie towards the end, but otherwise it's really mediocre (both story and gameplay). I wouldn't call it a *bad* game, but it's barely worthwhile. Pretty much what you can expect from something that went through a development hell.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Yea, The Bureau isn't bad, it's just 100% mediocre--and I thought only topically XCOM.

Just realize you'll more or less forget that you played or own it within a few weeks.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Statutory Ape posted:

how does xcom 2 play with a controller on pc?

or i guess i could just use my little logitech kb/touchpad combo. thats a game i'd want to play from the couch or bed

It's ok. Some qol mods might bloat the action bar ,but it's perfectly playable with a controller. Also xcom2 should be played with at least 300 mods activated,half of which should be cosmetic mods.so that your rag tag team of guerrilla fighters can wear stormtrooper armour and little sombrero hats.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the game runs out of ideas about 2/3 of the way through, and gently caress any fight against Mutons, but if you’ve already got it then I think it’s worth playing.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Statutory Ape posted:

whats this about the research tree?

IIRC research tree depends too much on interrogating living aliens of specific race and rank, interrogated alien commander but he wasn't the right race, oops, now you don't get the best fighter craft or something like that because you don't need to interrogate any other commander.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

It's one of the few tactical shooters out there (like the Brothers in Arms series) but it never gets really engaging gameplay-wise. That said, I really liked the writing in general and as mentioned, the twist at the end is kind of neat.

It's decent especially if you like the genre, but not exactly a great game.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

tbh the tftd research tree bugs explains a lot to 9 year old me

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Diablo and Warcraft II are still in the top 5 best sellers list. That's pretty crazy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They got the PS1 era Hercules game.

Plus a Donald Duck game from the same period.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wow, that is a very rude way to talk about Maui Mallard.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Wow, that is a very rude way to talk about Maui Mallard.

The product page says the game is 40 hours long. I played it a bunch on SNES, that seems like a stretch lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kikkoman posted:

The product page says the game is 40 hours long. I played it a bunch on SNES, that seems like a stretch lol

The Long Play video of it is an hour and forty nine minutes, so 40 is definitely a stretch.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Maui Mallard is a classic on basically every platform.

Hercules is... serviceable.

e: these are my analyses. If you’d like to see more content like this, smash that mo’fuckin’ subscribe button

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember enjoying Hercules when I rented it back when but, I was also like...12.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Pfft, another GOG sale I don't need shiii---

Appears in cart:
Outlaws
SC3K
Afterlife
Sam & Max

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Kennel posted:

EU 1.0 changed difficulty always to beginner.

There's a rumour that TftD changed it always to superhuman, but apparently that's not true.

A few days late, but I was at a talk one of the devs was giving a few years back, and he claimed that the issue with TftD was that they didn't realise the EU Beginner bug was a thing at the time they were developing it, and players were complaining that EU was too easy, meaning that they overcorrected the difficulty.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Funny how these games, while flawed, were at least largely complete. Such a difference to today.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
(Crossposting in a few places)

I decided to make a thread for the Pathologic games over here, and it has a bunch more information if anyone's curious. The tl;dr is that it's a surreal Russian survival thriller game about spending twelve days in an insane town being consumed by a plague. The gameplay is brutal and the writing is some of the best I've ever seen. If you enjoy survival games and/or have any interest whatsoever in video games as a medium for storytelling, you owe it to yourself to play either the updated original version or the remake that's coming out in a few days (specifically on May 23rd for presumably the same price as Steam, $35). The original game is a VERY rough gem but also only like $12 and it runs on a toaster.

I will fully cop to wanting to shill for this game as much as possible because the original is one of my favorite games of all time and everything they've shown of the remake has been incredibly promising.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
GOG Galaxy 2.0 got announced and it's basically Corsair's April Fools joke made real

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1131228901437526016

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm not sure I like this...
[signs up immediately]

E: Waaaaaaaaaait. Is this another Discord reskin/fork like Twitch?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Andrigaar posted:

I'm not sure I like this...
[signs up immediately]

E: Waaaaaaaaaait. Is this another Discord reskin/fork like Twitch?

This isnt another storefront as gog already has that. It's supposed to be a meta manager that doesnt care where your games are from and manages then all along with friends lists etc

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I wasn't calling it a storefront, I was saying the info presented reminded me of Discord's Home>Activity tab.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Kinda sounds like Pidgin or Trillian but for game-related content dustributors

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Miss Trillian in this world of fragmented web-based messengers.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Kinda sounds like Pidgin or Trillian but for game-related content dustributors

yes and thus i signed up immediately for the beta

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
just merge gog galaxy with discord

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'll wait to see if you guys say it's Video Games Trillian. I don't currently use chat, but if GOG's mission of crossplatorm matchmaking worked well and you could easily seek out a fellow weirdo to play co-op Majesty with... (Disco Stu sound)

For now, happy with my current hipster game launcher.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Amazing that GOG got the rights to re-release XFire.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

One thing they might consider is that with old dead games, you often look for matches and no one's on, and you never come back. If they set something up asynchronously, that might help resolve "empty server syndrome," though maybe only to a point.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

C.M. Kruger posted:

Amazing that GOG got the rights to re-release XFire.

god dammit my brain read this as X-Files and I was happy for a few minutes.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you want any of the Telltale games on GOG you have until the weekend, GOG will delist them on Monday. No discounts, as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I started Hidden and Dangerous 2 a while ago but quickly lost interest in the first campaign. I've played the old Rainbow, Swats and Ghost Recons but this was a bit too old-school for me. Mostly the restricted ability to save, I can take difficulty but not going back and replaying difficult sections over and over.

Am I missing something or do I just need to set things to Easy?