Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You are pulling a blade towards you that is also rotating towards you, so climb cutting is a dangerous possibility. Also when you return the blade back behind the fence, it’s still spinning and there is some chance of it catching the cutoff and flinging it all over the place, not to mention there is just a lot of room behind the blade to accidentally get some part of you. Just used for cross cutting, I don’t think they’re especially more dangerous than a chop saw, but a lot of them were marketed to be used for ripping by turning the head 90 degrees and that gets stupid dangerous fast.

I have essentially a radial tile saw and I assume the pros and cons are somewhat similar.. pros mainly I'm not moving a big piece around, the blade is moving through it. Cons are exactly what Kaiser said above, if there is any binding action it is Very Not Fun when it climbs. I let a not very experienced cutter use it and it popped up and ran a foot and he had his thumb over where the blade ran. A tile saw will just burn or barely break the skin, I mean it definitely didnt feel good but that one there would just get rid of your pesky thumb.

Also thank you very much for the sealing tips, I love learning here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The thing I've found most effective when it comes to dangerous tools is knowing where my "it'll be fine" point is, where tiredness or illness or deadlines make getting it done more important to me than getting it done right or getting it done safely. Stopping working past that point is why I still have my fingers, but working past that point previously is why an offcut kicked back and wrecked the dust collection scoop on my mitre saw. Fortunately a mitre saw kicks things at itself instead of you.

Edit: btw I made that same mistake three times in a row before my sluggish brain finally realised how much I was gearing up to wreck myself.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 21, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My dad's early 70's craftsman radial arm saw that he still uses (the motor is pretty shot but he spins it up with a drill and then turns on the power) probably contributed to his hearing loss because it howls.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
what can i do with a plank shaped like "("?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Use a jointer to flatten it. Or you can flatten it with a hand plane and some story sticks. Or use it in short sections where the warping isn't as noticeable. Best of all is to not buy boards like that in the first place. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Make a boat

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i didn't notice since i was concerned with it being straight when i was picking it out. i didn't think 3 dimensionally... :(

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You are pulling a blade towards you that is also rotating towards you, so climb cutting is a dangerous possibility. Also when you return the blade back behind the fence, it’s still spinning and there is some chance of it catching the cutoff and flinging it all over the place, not to mention there is just a lot of room behind the blade to accidentally get some part of you. Just used for cross cutting, I don’t think they’re especially more dangerous than a chop saw, but a lot of them were marketed to be used for ripping by turning the head 90 degrees and that gets stupid dangerous fast.

Yeah this. Climb cutting is always risky. You've got good positioning for your arm-shoulder acting like a shock absorber as long as you don't overdo or try to blitz through a piece.

When they were popular (they still are popular among framers because you can set up quickly to do mass cuts onsite) they predated electric miter saws- imagine that! And you can cut miters with them, beveled even! Extremely versatile.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

mikeycp posted:

i didn't notice since i was concerned with it being straight when i was picking it out. i didn't think 3 dimensionally... :(

Oh, it's cupped? I thought you meant the ( was along the entire length of the piece. For cupping you can probably get away with using a thickness planer to flatten it.

And yeah, sight along the long end for straightness, use a straightedge to check for flatness. Everyone buys warped lumber at least once.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, in that case, cross cut it a hundred times and glue the pieces together to make a hoop, than do something cool with the hoop.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

looking at it i was thinking i could maybe make a short stool since it's already got a butt groove built in. if i can get the tenons and mortises to fit

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Broke a tire on my old delta bandsaw and asked the local hardware store if they had a replacement, he looked it up and said oh that's discontinued I wouldn't break anything else on it, also no. Real protip in my opinion. Online it is!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Broke a tire on my old delta bandsaw and asked the local hardware store if they had a replacement, he looked it up and said oh that's discontinued I wouldn't break anything else on it, also no. Real protip in my opinion. Online it is!
You can get urethane ones made up in any size I just can’t remember where I’ve gotten them before. Changing bandsaw tires suuuuucks. I’d go ahead and replace both at the same time.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You can get urethane ones made up in any size I just can’t remember where I’ve gotten them before. Changing bandsaw tires suuuuucks. I’d go ahead and replace both at the same time.

I've been told https://www.ereplacementparts.com is good so I'm going to grab a 2pack from there and Amazon and see how they look. I've replaced tires once before a long time ago and it blew but cant remember much else, not too excited to do it again but whatever. Guess if I'm getting two and doing it for one wheel I might as well do both. Any tricks? Plug it and turn it on first? :D

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I've been told https://www.ereplacementparts.com is good so I'm going to grab a 2pack from there and Amazon and see how they look. I've replaced tires once before a long time ago and it blew but cant remember much else, not too excited to do it again but whatever. Guess if I'm getting two and doing it for one wheel I might as well do both. Any tricks? Plug it and turn it on first? :D

Get a sharp throwaway chisel and cut 'em loose. I really didn't find it all that tiresome. haha

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

I went with these on my old 1960's 14" Delta. They have worked out really well. Soaking them in hot water first, and they include an "installation tool" which is essentially just a nail with a little roller sleeve over it, but it did help.

https://ebay.to/2JSZ676

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Falco posted:

I went with these on my old 1960's 14" Delta.

:fistbump:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Falco posted:

I went with these on my old 1960's 14" Delta. They have worked out really well. Soaking them in hot water first, and they include an "installation tool" which is essentially just a nail with a little roller sleeve over it, but it did help.

Bought one, thanks!

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
My old shop teacher from high school, this is going back 16 years, said band saws when they break unravel and can seriously injure people around by whipping around the room.
I’ve always been terrified of them because of this.

Is there any truth to this?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I had a blade break in my bandsaw because I wasn't using it properly. It went SPANG as all the tension in the blade was released, and that's about it. The blade basically immediately stopped because there was no force to pull it through the workpiece any more; bandsaw blades are very light and have negligible inertia when they aren't being actively powered. I could maybe see the blade going flying if you didn't have anything covering the wheels, but any proper saw is going to keep the blade covered everywhere except for where it cuts through the material. Bandsaws are probably the safest power tool used for cutting wood there is.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

My old shop teacher from high school, this is going back 16 years, said band saws when they break unravel and can seriously injure people around by whipping around the room.

No. I’ve heard this rumor before and its incredibly false.

Bandsaws are super safe, IMO.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Okay I said I was going to make an :effort: post about making a bed and so here’s a post about making a bed. Sorry for :words:
First, you need a big ole pile of mahogany:

Not actually that pile of mahogany, you need one with some some 2” thick stuff and some 3 or 4” thick stuff and some 1” thick stuff. Or glue some 2" stuff into 4" stuff. Mostly 2” thick stuff.

Do boring stuff to your wood like face join it and plane it and rip it and bop it and twist it until you have 4 pieces 1.75” thick x 4.75” wide x as long as your bed rails need to be (60”x80” for a queen :gay: like me and 76”x80” for a king. Oh wait I lied, that’s how long they should be after you tenon them, so they should be an inch longer). Then you’re gonna need some posts. This bed is a pencil post with low foot posts because people are terrible and have TVs in their bedroom and don’t want bedposts between their beady eyes and the idiot box, so it’s got two posts 2.75” sq x 83” and two short foot posts 2.75” sq x 24.” You need a headboard too. In this case it’s about 22” wide and that’s a nice size. I didn’t take a picture of all that wood but you can use your imaginations and pretend there is a picture of some nicely milled wood right here:

Now we need to turn those chunks of wood into a pencil post. A real pencil post is a great looking post that tapers evenly on 8 sides, not some chunky pyramid with a chamfer run on the edges. IMHO they're a pretty timeless thing that fits well with contemporary styles and traditional stuff and they’re about the only beds I seem to build anymore because nobody wants real, turned 4 posters because they are all minimalist philistines :colbert: On antique beds, often the headposts were pencil posts because they were cheaper to make (If you’re a handtool person you can make one with a drawknife and a plane) and they were usually covered by fabric/drapery/mosquito netting. Four poster beds were all about showing off your awesome collection of expensive fabric anyway.
Okay so we need a big damned taper jig that will taper the 4 faces of a square and then cut off and taper the corners too. Good thing that’s pretty simple and you can make one in about an hour. Looks like this:

Cut some wood (you have a bandsaw right? Bandsaw is the best saw-and safest too):

The taper starts 32” from the bottom of the post and tapers to 1.125” wide at the top. How do those corners work? Make stopping cuts 5/8” deep 32” from the bottom:

That square corner makes a rather ungraceful transition from octagon to square, so get out your chisel and carve a nice little lamb’s tongue:

Now we have to get rid of all those saw marks too. This is some interlocked, cross grain African mahogany that tears out if you look at it wrong, so to the belt sander we go. This part is really hard-all 8 faces need to be the same width and belt sanders aren’t exactly precision instruments but I’ve done this a few times and you can sort it out with an orbital sander. If you’re using more hand tool friendly wood, use a handplane/spokeshave.
That looks better:

Almost forgot about those stupid low footposts-throw them on the lathe and turn a little button on them and ease the corners so they look a little nicer:

Stick those posts in a corner and forget about them for 2 weeks while you do something else.

Oh yeah we need some rails too, don’t we?
Cut a big honking 7/8”wide x 1/2” long tenon on the end of those mothers. I use a crosscut sled and a dado set and it does fine and hasn’t cut my fingers off yet.

Those look nice. Now we need to drill some holes in them and smash some hardware into those holes:

Glue up some boards for a headboard too. You already know how to do that. Cut everything off those boards that doesn’t look like a headboard.

Now we need some holes in the posts for those bolts to go through and some mortises for those tenons to fit in. Be careful and lay it all out pretty (you have a mortising gauge right?) and drill some holes:

Walk over to your mortiser:

Oh did the trucking company shove your mortiser off the back of the truck? Don’t worry, it weighs 2200 pounds and is solid cast iron and made in 1950 and it doesn’t even mind. Use it (or your router or a drill press and a chisel or just a chisel) to punch some holes:

Now put it all together, and you have a badly backlit bed:

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 22, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Okay I said I was going to make an :effort: post about making a bed and so here’s a post about making a bed. Sorry for :words:

Oh did the trucking company shove your mortiser off the back of the truck? Don’t worry, it weighs 2200 pounds and is solid cast iron and made in 1950 and it doesn’t even mind.

What an amazing post! :eyepop: Really cool of you to share all that I'm really feeling that jig you made. I was NOT ready for the mortiser :lol: Is that for yourself? Super jealous

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Dang, thanks for writing all that up! My own plans feel super inadequate now. :v: Oh well, it's a learning project in many ways anyway. If/when I ever do a second bed it'll turn out much better, I'm sure.

I feel like getting the top tenon on the headboard aligned properly with the mortise on the tapering pencil post must be a bit of a pain in the rear end.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I laughed a lot, thank you

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I like how you always managed to keep the Kreg jig just out of frame.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Not actually that pile of mahogany, you need one with some some 2” thick stuff and some 3 or 4” thick stuff and some 1” thick stuff. Or glue some 2" stuff into 4" stuff. Mostly 2” thick stuff.

Do boring stuff to your wood like face join it and plane it and rip it and bop it and twist it until you have 4 pieces 1.75” thick x 4.75” wide x as long as your bed rails need to be (60”x80” for a queen :gay: like me and 76”x80” for a king. Oh wait I lied, that’s how long they should be after you tenon them, so they should be an inch longer). Then you’re gonna need some posts. This bed is a pencil post with low foot posts because people are terrible and have TVs in their bedroom and don’t want bedposts between their beady eyes and the idiot box, so it’s got two posts 2.75” sq x 83” and two short foot posts 2.75” sq x 24.” You need a headboard too. In this case it’s about 22” wide and that’s a nice size. I didn’t take a picture of all that wood but you can use your imaginations and pretend there is a picture of some nicely milled wood right here:

Now we need to turn those chunks of wood into a pencil post. A real pencil post is a great looking post that tapers evenly on 8 sides, not some chunky pyramid with a chamfer run on the edges. IMHO they're a pretty timeless thing that fits well with contemporary styles and traditional stuff and they’re about the only beds I seem to build anymore because nobody wants real, turned 4 posters because they are all minimalist philistines :colbert: On antique beds, often the headposts were pencil posts because they were cheaper to make (If you’re a handtool person you can make one with a drawknife and a plane) and they were usually covered by fabric/drapery/mosquito netting. Four poster beds were all about showing off your awesome collection of expensive fabric anyway.
Okay so we need a big damned taper jig that will taper the 4 faces of a square and then cut off and taper the corners too. Good thing that’s pretty simple and you can make one in about an hour. Looks like this:

Cut some wood (you have a bandsaw right? Bandsaw is the best saw-and safest too):

The taper starts 32” from the bottom of the post and tapers to 1.125” wide at the top. How do those corners work? Make stopping cuts 5/8” deep 32” from the bottom:

That square corner makes a rather ungraceful transition from octagon to square, so get out your chisel and carve a nice little lamb’s tongue:

Now we have to get rid of all those saw marks too. This is some interlocked, cross grain African mahogany that tears out if you look at it wrong, so to the belt sander we go. This part is really hard-all 8 faces need to be the same width and belt sanders aren’t exactly precision instruments but I’ve done this a few times and you can sort it out with an orbital sander. If you’re using more hand tool friendly wood, use a handplane/spokeshave.
That looks better:

Almost forgot about those stupid low footposts-throw them on the lathe and turn a little button on them and ease the corners so they look a little nicer:

Stick those posts in a corner and forget about them for 2 weeks while you do something else.

Cut a big honking 7/8”wide x 1/2” long tenon on the end of those mothers. I use a crosscut sled and a dado set and it does fine and hasn’t cut my fingers off yet.

Those look nice. Now we need to drill some holes in them and smash some hardware into those holes:

Glue up some boards for a headboard too. You already know how to do that. Cut everything off those boards that doesn’t look like a headboard.

Now we need some holes in the posts for those bolts to go through and some mortises for those tenons to fit in. Be careful and lay it all out pretty (you have a mortising gauge right?) and drill some holes:

Oh did the trucking company shove your mortiser off the back of the truck? Don’t worry, it weighs 2200 pounds and is solid cast iron and made in 1950 and it doesn’t even mind. Use it (or your router or a drill press and a chisel or just a chisel) to punch some holes:

quoting this so I can find it later when I build a bed.

Nice stuff! Looks really cool.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I've never heard of steel unraveling. I think he was taking the piss

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That looks better:

You forgot the last optional part- Customer is getting divorced, so no longer 'needs' bed. Won't pay remainder owed, unless you can cut it down or modify. Next steps?

Seriously, great post.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Bandsaws are probably the safest power tool used for cutting wood there is.

Skillsaw maybe? Light blades and the back and forth would bounce your thumb away where the bandsaw will happily keep chewing.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Skillsaw maybe? Light blades and the back and forth would bounce your thumb away where the bandsaw will happily keep chewing.

Are you joking? No loving way. You got 2 1/2 horsepower in a portable tool the size of a shoebox. Being overpowered by the toolinto chaos territory is the problem and bandsaws aren't made to do that. Although, granted, a battery powered saw is drastically less unpredictable.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

Are you joking? No loving way. You got 2 1/2 horsepower in a portable tool the size of a shoebox. Being overpowered by the toolinto chaos territory is the problem and bandsaws aren't made to do that. Although, granted, a battery powered saw is drastically less unpredictable.

Whoops, I meant scroll saws. I was very confused at both "portable" and "shoebox".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

Whoops, I meant scroll saws. I was very confused at both "portable" and "shoebox".

Oh yeah, I guess scrollsaws are safer than bandsaws. I mentally lump them into a different category though since they're pretty much only used for detail work; bandsaws occupy a similar space as table saws, circular saws, miter saws, etc. But that's not what I said so fair point.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What an amazing post! :eyepop: Really cool of you to share all that I'm really feeling that jig you made. I was NOT ready for the mortiser :lol: Is that for yourself? Super jealous
Lol no, if only. I sleep on a mattress on top of the metal stand that came with it and no headboard. The cobbler’s children have no shoes and all that. I did start a bed for myself 2 years ago but of course I had to make it fancy and carved and poo poo and carving spirals takes foreverrrrrr so it still isn’t done, but this has been a good reminder to work on it again. This is the sample/practice post and it’s about done-I’m not actually sure where the other posts are or what stage I left them in?

My dream is to one day be successful enough that I don’t have other people’s broken chairs sitting around waiting for me to fix them.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dang, thanks for writing all that up! My own plans feel super inadequate now. :v: Oh well, it's a learning project in many ways anyway. If/when I ever do a second bed it'll turn out much better, I'm sure.

I feel like getting the top tenon on the headboard aligned properly with the mortise on the tapering pencil post must be a bit of a pain in the rear end.
I like watching your bed happen! I think the headboard design you had a while ago looked neat, and it’s gonna be much stouter than anything you could buy. Beds are actually a pretty simple woodworking project that are super durable and no really complicated joinery or anything, but they do take a good bit of wood.

Lining up the headboard mortises is tricky. Usually the bottom arm of the headboard will go into the square part of the post and then you can lin a straightedge up with the rail mortise and the bottom headboard mortise to find the top one, but sometimes even the bottom one goes into a turning or something. In this case, the mortiser table has enough travel to have it clamped against the fence and still be able to reach the tapered part.

Huxley posted:

I like how you always managed to keep the Kreg jig just out of frame.
It gets used plenty around the shop! Just not on beds.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
It's not quite woodworking, but jeweller's sawblades absolutely can and do end up halfway through a finger if your luck is real bad when a blade breaks, it's often unavoidable to hold material close enough to the blade for a deflecting broken shank to snag you, I'm on Barbed Needle Extraction Number 2. I know the Knew Concepts jeweller's power saw, for safety, links the upper and lower blade clamps with a steel wire-pulley linkage run through the frame, with a crank driving the saw from a point in the middle of the cable. It makes the blade part of the powertrain, so the moment a break occurs both blade halves lose power. Directly driving a conventional saw frame is much simpler to build but jesus what a nightmare injury that would probably cause

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 22, 2019

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I can't say a bandsaw is the safest since I stuck my thumb in one but it is the most predictable. The blade is pushing down so no chance of a kickback but the blade can bounce back on you at the end of a cut (your thumb shouldn't be that close to begin with but that can be said about any saw).

Honestly a dull blade is the most dangerous thing in a shop.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

Honestly a dull blade brain is the most dangerous thing in a shop.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Thanks for the detailed writeup.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That looks better:

:suspense: Can I come visit? I'd love to see how you work around this poo poo process-wise.

That's my catch right now, a lack of experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Any tips for sanding a ton of these efficiently? They are around 4" square.

I'm dreading doing em by hand, but can't find any tools to assist easily. The flat parents aren't so bad as I have a 2" sanding disc meant for turning, but that doesn't help me with the 2 column pieces. And the rounded corners are a pain.
Maybe something for the dremel I'm overlooking? I have a few of the stone grinders but even at high grit they are too aggressive.

Additionally, I wanna add magnets to the sides and the 3/8" countersunk style seem ideal.

Anyone know where I can buy these cheap in bulk? Cheapest I can find is 25 cents each. Which isn't terrible, but if I decide to do a bulk run of these that could add up fast.