Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Has anyone figured out how to run a headless BMS server yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

ED's argument for why triple mavericks per wing station are not included was also just obscenely dumb. They states that since Mavericks were not needed in Asymmetric War against Taliban and Iraqi Insurgents, the USAF jets around 2007 were not equipped with triple racks. |
"The F-16 was cleared to carry 3 Mavericks under each wing (3 and 7) on LAU-88s. This configuration placed very high stress on the airframe, and the inboard missile's exhaust impinged on the horizontal tail (The paint would peel, and it would get 1cm dings around it), causing the Air Force to restrict that load except in wartime. "

Forums, and Hoggit, pointed out that the F-16 was meant to ground pound Soviet tanks into dust with the mavericks at Fulda Gap, and that the game is called Digital COMBAT simulator, and not bomb dirt in Astanistan, and it most certainly can carry them all.

ED said that the eighties and early nineties Viper was loaded out to a threat that doesn't exist anymore.

...DCS World. The noted asymmetric insurgency simulator.

Anyway, they have now passive aggressively stated that they will allow the LAU-117 rack and triple mavericks. In the announcement they still included snark:

I just don't understand why they are so bad at this.

I swear at one point I saw a public facing (or FOIA'd and rehosted) USAF document that had preapproved configurations for the F-16. Just pages and pages of a table of different missiles/bombs/fuel configurations. Seems like that could settle an argument pretty quickly. But maybe it was probably for an older block that isn't in service anymore.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It’s not contested that it is a usable configuration. It is.

ED says that they are not used in reality.
They are right. Reds never came from Fulda Gap.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11084

Interesting. Apparently LAU-88s were withdrawn from F-16 service some time in the 90s. Too bad the block 50 is from 1991 so would've had those available for some part of its life.

Also, its amusing that they're going after anachronisms so heavily in a game with P-51s, Mig-15s and F-15s in dog fights with each other.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Its kind of amazing to me that some people get mad that it will be included as an option. They could just not use it if it offends their :spergin: so greatly. However the thought that other people might be having too much fun is just too much for them or something.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
They're 100% the type who get pissy when someone Cheat Engines Sekiro.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

concise posted:

Has anyone figured out how to run a headless BMS server yet?

Sort of… it can't be completely headless because you need to get the “server pilot” into a plane for everything not to die horribly, and you need to use the UI to get there, but it can pretty much all be done remotely with virtualised graphics hardware, and after that you can just leave it be.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

WaterIsPoison posted:

Don't they have nukes in the game? :rolleyes:

One, and then they poo poo their pants and said no more nukes or anything to do with nuclear weapons.

I know you weren’t being serious but I want my nukes

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Too bad Jason and Wags can’t trade jobs.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Sagebrush posted:

They're just totally user-hostile. If you want to do something fun that isn't technically 100% mind-numbingly "accurate", then rather than saying "sure, haha, we've made it an option you can mess with" they just tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Want to use that red Canadian F/A-18 skin even though the mission maker set your plane's side as USA? No, that would never happen, go gently caress yourself.

Want to put an aircraft carrier on a lake instead of the ocean? No, aircraft carriers can't go in lakes, go gently caress yourself.

Want to have a real simple dynamic campaign that works like Battlefield or something, just spawning bad guys at airfields until you blow enough of them up and then it becomes yours? No, that's not how a real war works, go gently caress yourself.

Is ED aware that we built an aircraft carrier inside a lake in WWII?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wolverine_(IX-64)

It's canon doctrine ED, let us do it.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Avengers helicarrier when ED?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Oglogoth posted:

Is ED aware that we built an aircraft carrier inside a lake in WWII?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wolverine_(IX-64)

Two, even. :)

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
ED now says that you won’t need to buy the carrier module to join servers that use it:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3923145&postcount=155

ETA: :justpost: is always the answer

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 24, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Forums Terrorist posted:

lol at ed getting bullied into everything though, maybe if people post hard enough we can get them to fix everything

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzRvZaz4sgw

DCS f16 does look purty... :shepspends:

Though its going to be super limited on launch like the hornet was. Not sure if I want a year + of early access again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mashed_penguin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzRvZaz4sgw

DCS f16 does look purty... :shepspends:

Though its going to be super limited on launch like the hornet was. Not sure if I want a year + of early access again.

"the F-16 provides endless gameplay in DCS World"

there are laws against false advertising, you know!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'll probably get it.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

the map it's zooming around in the vid is the syria map they showed WIPs of a while ago

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

"the F-16 provides endless gameplay in DCS World"

there are laws against false advertising, you know!

The F-16 module will be fully capable of doing pattern work for hours on end at release!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

hobbesmaster posted:

The F-16 module will be fully capable of doing pattern work for hours on end at release!

Phase 1 will have AIM-9Xs and AMRAAMs. YMMV, but I’ll have things to do with those.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

ZekeNY posted:

Phase 1 will have AIM-9Xs and AMRAAMs. YMMV, but I’ll have things to do with those.

You'll need a fully functional radar first. Seeing as how the F-18 doesn't even have TWS still...

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

WaterIsPoison posted:

You'll need a fully functional radar first. Seeing as how the F-18 doesn't even have TWS still...

I’ll make do with STT, or just heaters and the JHMCS.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ZekeNY posted:

I’ll make do with STT, or just heaters and the JHMCS.

Party like it’s 1980.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Or just don't give money to ED.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Top Hats Monthly posted:

One, and then they poo poo their pants and said no more nukes or anything to do with nuclear weapons.

I know you weren’t being serious but I want my nukes

My dream, now that Heatblur's cracked complex backseating (more or less), is DCS: B-1B, or if that's too recent, DCS: F-111.

*Really* want to run deep penetration (:smug:) missions with SRAMs and B61s.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My dream, now that Heatblur's cracked complex backseating (more or less), is DCS: B-1B, or if that's too recent, DCS: F-111.

*Really* want to run deep penetration (:smug:) missions with SRAMs and B61s.

DCS: F-111F and DCS: A-6E SWIP are my biggest wants. Immediately followed by any/all of the Century series fighters and fighter-bombers.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

DCS: F-111F and DCS: A-6E SWIP are my biggest wants. Immediately followed by any/all of the Century series fighters and fighter-bombers.

Both of these planes would own a lot. I just read flight of the intruder for the first time and an A-6 sounds like a good time.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Based on their current modelling work and the scuttlebutt from Razbam and others DCS A-6 is what Heatblur's shooting for next. They've said in past interviews their ideal next project would be something that synthesises the Viggen and Tomcat, which either the F-111 or A-6 fit into.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mashed_penguin posted:

Both of these planes would own a lot. I just read flight of the intruder for the first time and an A-6 sounds like a good time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvyBrX1eK4I

"I get good vibes."

DCS needs to find the money to pay Willem Dafoe to be your BN voiceover. Pretty sure the actor who played Grafton would do voice work for scale at the moment.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Sauer posted:

Or just don't give money to ED.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Alright I've spent a bunch of my free time the last month doing all the F18 trainings, reading guides, watching tutorials, and practicing my case I landings.

I think I'm finally ready to fail in public.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jarmak posted:

Alright I've spent a bunch of my free time the last month doing all the F18 trainings, reading guides, watching tutorials, and practicing my case I landings.

I think I'm finally ready to fail in public.

Join discord and test your might!!!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dandywalken posted:

Join discord and test your might!!! mic

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dunno if anyone ITT is interested in IL2, but:

:frogsiren:
IL2 Sturmovik has released Battle of Bodenplatte, including a flyable ME262. I really don't have time for gaming right now, but the second I have, I'll be disappearing in this one.

The Air Combat Tutorial Library guy already has an instructional video on the plane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUOomY9Xu9o

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It's not released, it's missing literally every allied plane lmao ww2 sims are a joke

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Boddenplatte isn't fully released, but it does have a handful of planes already out including the Spitfire, P-47, FW-190-D and now the ME-262. They've been releasing planes slowly overtime but the map isn't out nor is the campaign. This is a big patch though, with plenty of fixes and tweaks along with content for Tank Battles and Flying Circus their tank and WW1 expansions also currently in development.

We have a thread here for IL-2 specifically.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
They released the Jug and its 8 Freedom Fifties, which is what matters most.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Thrustmaster offering a F-18 grip for the warthog. https://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/fa-18c-hornet-hotas-add-grip

Looks pretty nice but I think it has the same amount of buttons as the A-10 grip so no advantage over the original besides the layout being different.

Amazon has the preorder price at $230 though...oof. And that's just for the grip to put on the base you already own.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

Thrustmaster offering a F-18 grip for the warthog. https://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/fa-18c-hornet-hotas-add-grip

Looks pretty nice but I think it has the same amount of buttons as the A-10 grip so no advantage over the original besides the layout being different.

Amazon has the preorder price at $230 though...oof. And that's just for the grip to put on the base you already own.

It's nice they finally got to this concept 15 years after the Cougar's release. I remember when I bought the HOTAS Cougar that there were plans for other sticks...yay for on time delivery!

It is pretty cool, though. I wonder if they will re-release the F-16 setup now that DCS has F-16 Viper nearing release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

It's nice they finally got to this concept 15 years after the Cougar's release. I remember when I bought the HOTAS Cougar that there were plans for other sticks...yay for on time delivery!

It is pretty cool, though. I wonder if they will re-release the F-16 setup now that DCS has F-16 Viper nearing release?

Other companies have pushed out their own replacement grips so they probably figured they better actually get in on the action.