Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

gonadic io posted:

So would you have lost that fight if c'tis had just put some MR amulets on when fighting an astral nation?

Casting Antimagic would probably have been a good idea too. I think I still might have won it would have just been costlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Ramc posted:

PELAGIA WINS

This was great.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Libluini posted:

Meanwhile, Eriu tries to invest air gems to get more air gems for summoning tons of air elementals

and fails

Nearly 200 air gems, lost forever! :suicide:

wait hold on Gale Gate gets you like 20 air gems a turn

it would have taken you like a YEAR to break even libluini

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The expanded flow of airgems is a huge psychological boon and can't be measured in pure numbers

talk to transformer is already passe but

quote:

Moon Blade? Or is that a trick of sorts?

-
The sword of the Moonblade.
The sword of the moon.
The spear of the moon.
The sword of the moon which is mooned by the rain.
A sword from a moon of light.

The Moon Blade has no name, and is always called the Moon Blade.

It is the one which gives light, and when it is drawn on it opens the sun's fire which drives the heat for the human beings. It is a sword which is never cut, and it can do nothing but allow the people to work or to play without any restriction (if they wish). To be able to wield it it is said that the moon is shining into it's hands, which is the power of the spirit from the sky.

It is also said that it is to be used as an umbrella, shield and to protect the people. (Source)

It seems the real power of the sword of the Moon is this:
Because it is the moon, it is the shining, living sun, even being

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 60. Apparently the turn update image did not take. Weird but lets piece this together I guess.

My two mind hunts at the Eriu forces did not take either. This is a professional operation here.

I gift of reason the saurowraith, who is now just at base paths (3D) and lost his old samog name. Weird but hey! Still good!

The end result of horror marking.

I love that for some reason this happens in the middle of trackless ocean land. what are you even doing out here?

thanks for the RP

More pushback on C'tis.

The Eriu raid province is reclaimed.

Phaecia is breaking the siege of indie trolls on their fort, let's see.

Phaecia!

vs

Trolls.

They even have a king!

Phaecia has a ton of d2 necromancers here that suggests he is hiring them from some sort of site that gives him access.

An F2 adventurer. Event maybe?

We got skelespam. We got fire elementals.

You can see air elementals and some orb lightning even. It randomly arcs through the lines, hitting friend and foe.

:cam clarke voice: nice shot

And more fire elementals. The lines get really all mixed up here.

Those little blue tripods are the air spell false fetters, setting defense to 1 until the unit breaks free of their 'chains'.

Ultimately the trolls can't deal.

Here Ulm fights off an indie attack from the mist covered highlands. Ours never spawned an attack. Well. Not YET.

Events-

Valid fear.

Plexit

Deal with it!!!

Several mages die off from the original bane venoming by Nazca. One day...

Yhe GoR'd saurowraith immediately goes on the hall of fame. OK??? I didn't even get a chance to change his name!

The overview!

I summon one of these I want a non-god nature caster of some worth.

Eyes on C'tis throne. Some kings of deeper earth and tarts. Great. Good. Ughhh

I want eyes on that throne!

My scouts are trying to get some idea of other events.

The defense of their new throne.

Some recovery.

We are going to be oppressing Marignon while pushing carefully toward the C'tis coast here. I want some thrones!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I guess he must somehow have kept his previous kill count. Neat, I suppose.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Big D3 energy on that saurowraith.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
un-renamed hall of famer loving shameful

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

un-renamed hall of famer loving shameful

:as I'm dragged to the scaffold: i-i never had a chance! i-it never let me!!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Off with his head!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Ramc posted:

Howl but howl summons 45 hp size 6 megalodons with a 22 damage bite hell yes. I love that he has the stealth tag. You never see the bus-sized shark coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_QSP9xSoI0
Sharks can be amazingly stealthy for their size.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

RBA-Wintrow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_QSP9xSoI0
Sharks can be amazingly stealthy for their size.

aaaaaaaa

(i love sharks)

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Once an undead army starts to invade the ocean scenes like this will be commonplace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5MIF3gqREE

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So who is at war with who so far?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If C'tis has got multiple E5 casters, and the gem income to bring in at least one earth king, I'm surprised you haven't had any incoming Earth Attacks yet. Unless C'tis is tossing them elsewhere I guess, but trying to disjoint that attack last turn seems like if would have been a good idea.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
All them trolls were part of the "Mountain King" event chain, where you first discover some magical doors in the side of a mountain and you can send all sorts of types of mages or w/e to sneak in or negotiate with the troll king. The most difficult outcome is to send an army in to cause the king to spawn out with his huge troll host. When I killed him, tho, I got 2000 gold and several random Const 6 items.

Events are fun and good!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Donkringel posted:

So who is at war with who so far?

C'tis and I are fighting. Nazca and Shinuyama are fighting. Ulm and Phelegra are fighting. Phaecia has made peace with me to fight C'tis allegedly and Eriu is raiding me and doing nothing more or less.

So far as I can tell at this point.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

wait hold on Gale Gate gets you like 20 air gems a turn

it would have taken you like a YEAR to break even libluini

Well, that's why I pumped so much into it. I hoped by sacrificing all my gems, I would prevent the global from being easily replaced, you see

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Libluini posted:

Well, that's why I pumped so much into it. I hoped by sacrificing all my gems, I would prevent the global from being easily replaced, you see

:psyduck:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How does global overwriting work anyway? Is it the game chooses a random global and compares the overspend of each spell to see which wins?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It does exactly that with two exceptions.

If you are recasting the same global, it'll always pick the same spell to compare against. E.G- Casting Gift of Health v Gift of Health, whichever had more gems wins. It won't override Perpetual Storm, etc.

If you are casting dispel, you can choose which spell you are trying to get rid of. But, it won't give you a global afterwards. It just empties the slot. There are only 5 (6?) total global slots you can fill up.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Aren't there also a few weird spells that will target specific gobals? Like one spell that goes after whoever cast Eyes of God?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think Fate of Oedipus is literally the only case, unless there's been recent additions

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think Fate of Oedipus is literally the only case, unless there's been recent additions

Oh god that sounds the most Dominions thing ever. What does it do?

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

tarbrush posted:

Oh god that sounds the most Dominions thing ever. What does it do?

Deletes the "eyes of God" global and blinds whoever held it. Usually not worth doing as it's more expensive than the eyes are

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Barono posted:

Deletes the "eyes of God" global and blinds whoever held it. Usually not worth doing as it's more expensive than the eyes are

I mean, if you're playing a nation with F access but no Astral, and you REALLY want Eyes down now (or are feeling particularly spiteful), then it's not exactly a terrible option. And if you're in a war with said global holder, you probably do want it down now. Or just not wanting to play "guess how many extra gems they stuffed into the global" that you'd need to do with Dispel.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's one of those weird cases where it's such a good counter that it renders itself obsolete. Being able to shut down a global automatically no matter how many gems get pumped into it sounds amazing on paper but it means no one is ever going to bother pumping extra gems into Eyes of God because they're useless, which means that Fate of Oedipus is no longer a great deal because you don't have to pump up Dispel to take down eyes.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Straight White Shark posted:

It's one of those weird cases where it's such a good counter that it renders itself obsolete. Being able to shut down a global automatically no matter how many gems get pumped into it sounds amazing on paper but it means no one is ever going to bother pumping extra gems into Eyes of God because they're useless, which means that Fate of Oedipus is no longer a great deal because you don't have to pump up Dispel to take down eyes.

But it's cool, which is all the devs care about. And I love them for it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but then because theyre expecting that, you could try throw just enough extra into eyes of god to make them waste a bunch of pearls when they try to dispel it and buy you a little more time w it up

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

It’s still a great deal. Just one that’s not offered often

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
eyes of god doesnt really get much worse after its dispelled, since in dominions 5 you get to see all sites you have ever seen, and the graphs just end the turn it goes away instead of being erased. using fate of oedipus to destroy eyes of god gives you a guaranteed open global slot though, which is a lot more relevant. a 200 gem cast of gale gate will not bounce off of an empty slot.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

violent sex idiot posted:

eyes of god doesnt really get much worse after its dispelled, since in dominions 5 you get to see all sites you have ever seen, and the graphs just end the turn it goes away instead of being erased. using fate of oedipus to destroy eyes of god gives you a guaranteed open global slot though, which is a lot more relevant. a 200 gem cast of gale gate will not bounce off of an empty slot.

Doesn't it depend on whether the Fate of Oedipus casts before the 2nd global cast?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

How are u posted:

Doesn't it depend on whether the Fate of Oedipus casts before the 2nd global cast?

yeah, you gotta cast it turn before to guarantee. since the order is random ha ha ha. alternatively cast fate of oedipus with someone above and below the guy on the spell order since it coin flips to decide if it goes in ascending order or descending order ,i think , or maybe that was removed in the transition from dom4 to dom5.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 61

Looks like I am the one doing all the attacking. That's good.

Evoc 8. I'd like to sneak Maelstrom up sometime when I have more W gems but I keep spending them all.

Throne 2 for C'tis. More money, worse luck. I hope something terrible happens!!!

why do i bother

Hopefully this one fares better than the last one.

Nice. This is 1 earth AND 1 nature gem.

Ulm cleans up that rampaging Tyrant's trail.

"whose seas?" "OUR SEAS"

"WHOSE SEAS??"

"OUR SE- what the absolute gently caress

So that is both Kings of Elemental Earth here, full of gems but no equipment. They are powerful and beefy earth mages who can regenerate. One even generates an earth gem every turn. They're the earth equivalent of our Super-Ariel, just without the absurd regen rate and no kit.

There is only one awake wizard tartarian here. The other tarts are units like the monstrum- meat walls. The marshmaster has astral 1 to discourage mind hunts and a king for I assume throne claims if needed.

So yes I am just sporting like what, 40 freespawn hippocampi so there is no way I am winning this it is just a matter of seeing how it goes down.

The answer seems to be with 3 casts of living earth.

um, 6 cas- er, nine...

ok thats enough earth you're good ok jesus

I feel extremely comfortable trading 23 free horses for like an absolute pile of earth gems. His commanders are all out of gems now.

quote:

jsoh
i thought i changed those guys scripts btw

Ramc
the earth elemental one?

jsoh
just accidentally hose 30 gems at pd
yeah

Ramc
yes
I mean there were some troops there but nothing important
my first thought is 'well i guess they gotta reload now'

jsoh
yeah

Ramc
plz leave
etc
but yes lol

jsoh
shamefacedly walk back to shore
i am not 100% trusting that he doesnt keep lunging tho

Shamblers clear some Mari PD

Meanwhile

Marignon PD, chilling out.

DECLOAK AND ENGAGE

revengeance music intensifies

a stranger i remain

Normal troops aren't ever going to do anything to this guy.

Do.. do I just have people checking every drowned sailor's eye sockets? I must.

:capitalism:

Patriots bolstered by the tales of my victories, no doubt.

Blandly good for all.

An indie attack hits Ulm.

I wanted something bad to happen to C'tis and it did.

The overview.

There is a lot going on here. First, holy geez that fort is FULL of critters now. That throne fort will take forever to break through. I don't trust C'tis not to lunge forward and I will keep Mega-Ariel here in case they lunge because I am pretty sure she can kill them all eventually. My other troops converge to hit the Marignon fort to give me a toehold when I can break it. Also there is a pile of shrimp soldiers there now so I assume that C'tis had the same shrimp soldier event I did.

I am going to try to zap this Tyrant because gently caress him that's why.

Also here is Phaeacian Asphodel now. Easy to forget how big he is.

Chat reveals that Jsoh got his eyes of god dispelled by Fate of Oedipus, by what was thought to be AI Marignon but apparently Shinuyama. I was going to try to shove Maelstrom into there but it turns out I do NOT have a +1w water booster bracelet? I made some but somewhere the users must have died and I never replaced it. I make a new one and try to push in Dark Skies because I at least have a caster for that. Jsoh makes noise about casting Thetis Blessing or the Ghost Ship Armada but I will try to toss it in just in case I can get away with it. If it gets through Dark Skies will provide a morale malus to all enemies in our dominion that scales with candles.

The Tyrant is off on its magical journey.

I dont overcast Dark Skies by very much. If it hits Perpetual Storm I would prefer for it not to overwrite it.

At least that is better.

Orders overview. I want to get in a position for that throne near Mari. It's a sphinx throne so doable maybe but yeah at least it isn't one of those stupid monolith and watchers thrones.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
It occurs to me that Ramc is basically Cao Cao at this point: stuck in the middle between the plucky power that just kinda causes problems for everyone and the powerhouse that is probably in the best position to actually win. Even so, everyone is still eyeing Ramc nervously because they know just how close he was to winning and just how easy he still could with the right patsy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For those who don't know, those are the two uncorrupted Kings of Elemental Earth that can be summoned with just earth casters. The third king was corrupted by blood magic and must be summoned with a blood spell, and C'tis doesn't have native access to blood mages.

It would be nice to see Ghost Ship Armada cause some mischief, but I guess Ramc would be a lot more concerned about Thetis' Blessing.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

please note that ctis also does not have native access to earth mages.

also yikes thats some embarassing poo poo these last couple turns. poor samog the saurowraith and rip all those gems. AND my god is blind (at least until the gift of health grows him some new balls.)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

violent sex idiot posted:

please note that ctis also does not have native access to earth mages.

That's true, and earth mages are pretty rare to get as indies. Where did you get the earth caster? A cured Tartarian? A throne?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Torrannor posted:

That's true, and earth mages are pretty rare to get as indies. Where did you get the earth casters? A cured Tartarian? A throne?

tarts. 3/7 of tarts come preloaded with earth magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ramc posted:

I wanted something bad to happen to C'tis and it did.

This is... actually more of neutral thing than bad (if C'tis has acquired any blood mages), because it's an event that spawns a Demon Gate site in the province that allows a blood mage to enter and start freespawning Fiends of Darkness. Which are actually fairly okay chaff if you can give them Darkness support on the battlefield.