Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sorry for the double post but I've just finished the first trial for SoJ Case 5 and holy poo poo they're upping the ante. I mean I guess even the *name* of the case showed how much of a big deal this is but wow. I am looking forward to how this plot thickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Barudak posted:

Gonna be honest, Rayfa should have been the opposing investigator

agree, sahdmahdi isn't landing quite as much but i'm willing to give him time

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Eh, speaking as someone on the last case he's still a dickbag who I hope loses his shins in an unexplained accident.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Got through the seance in case 3 of SoJ. Rayfa is still adorably huffy and it's pretty hilarious for her to almost essentially go "ghost! please revise your testimony". I definitely think part of the issue with Sahdmahdi is that the religious fervour calling for death comes really often so he winds up being pretty one-note and the lightening sections like him nerding out about burgers doesn't come often enough to humanise him, which is a shame.

i'm glad i'm just watching a longplay because I'm pretty sure i would've gotten stuck on that seance for a long time with the broken lanterns; it seems like it could get pretty vague, really.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Rayfa was good :3:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I struggled with every single seance because I'm dumb and bad at observation, but I do hope they come back in the next entry somehow because it was an interesting way to shake up the formula

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i hated the seances for the same reason i hate all the animated evidence: you need to be on the exact right frame that the game expects you to be on. if you're thinking ahead, or notice things the game doesn't want you to look at yet, the game says lol get hosed!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Agreed, but I would be just as happy with the security camera style investigations from 1-5.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Rayfa was interesting because while she was obnoxious she was so in a kind of endearing way and it made me wonder if they were going to make her sympathetic and even more likable by the end. They did. Poor Rayfa, her mom sucks a whole lot

Funnily enough, Rayfa ends up being more sympathetic and likable than Nahyuta when all is said and done. Weird! It's almost as if Nahyuta was too unlikable for too long for the reveal to have any impact :thunk:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i do enjoy that the magical seance is essentially Everyone's Security Cam Footage Of The Soul

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

my opinion on nahyuta is that he is incredibly hot

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah after I had difficulty with the tutorial seance because I had the right contradiction but not on the frame it wanted I just cheated the rest of them.

Nahyuta could have been fun and a sequel with him could work, but he needs a lot of work

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

fractalairduct posted:

my opinion on nahyuta is that he is incredibly hot

:yeah:

I really love his design, even if he's not a great character. All his animations look so good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Nahyuta could have been fun and a sequel with him could work, but he needs a lot of work

ace attorney 7 nahyuta shows up with shock-white dreds and he's just all about peace and love, and he's changed his last name to Lh'aion

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

SoJ case 3... wow, where do I even begin to unpack this? This game's really hard for me to play in big bursts just because of how grim it is -- it really does ratchet up my anxiety something fierce. Datz Are'bal is even funnier without his disguise and I get the feeling that Dhurke is a kind of what-if Phoenix in the same way Rayfa is a what-if Maya if they had different circumstances; getting the rebel viewpoint definitely does help, as well as setting the DC Act long enough for characters like Rayfa and Ahlbi to just not even know what it was like just 23 years ago.

on the other hand ugh i wish Phoenix wasn't flailing around so much because the stakes are way too high for him to be doing so :( Maya just channeled the high priest and I have to say that was a direction I didn't see and I like that he's basically Dhalsim

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
http://olremix.org/mp3/Tomapella_-_Clash_in_the_Courtroom(Phoenix_Wright).mp3

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ever notice every character in the franchise has at most one parent? Apollo only had Dhurke, Athena only had her mom, Edgeworth only had his dad, and then only had von Karma.

I think Kay might still have a mom, maybe?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
trucy has at least three dads though

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Ever notice every character in the franchise has at most one parent? Apollo only had Dhurke, Athena only had her mom, Edgeworth only had his dad, and then only had von Karma.

I think Kay might still have a mom, maybe?

If we're talking adoptive parents, sure. Apollo and Trucy's biological parents are both known.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I guess I should rephrase it to "Have you ever noticed every character has been raised by at most one parent at a time?"

Ace Attorney turns out to be a single-parent-positive franchise.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

oof, the end of SoJ case 3 that was pretty heavy and i didn't expect the suicide at all :( i did feel like Phoenix's flusteredness is just getting way out of control, though, like did we REALLY need another moment where he gets called out and fumbles on something after the Evangelion epiphany thing with the arrow? and I figured Rayfa is taking it really hard because she knows on some level that if they weren't the truth she had a hand in condemning a lot of innocent people which is a heavy thing for a teen to deal with

On SoJ case 4 I would be liking this a lot more with Athena and Blackquill's banter if Sahdmahdi wasn't around, I really need a break from this character and how he hasn't moved an inch or gone anywhere interesting and I'm really sick of him. the constant negging is just tiresome at this point

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Hey, you'd be cranky too

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I like how Gregory Edgeworth is just all business and doesn't get involved with the usual shenanigans.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SardonicTyrant posted:

I guess I should rephrase it to "Have you ever noticed every character has been raised by at most one parent at a time?"

Ace Attorney turns out to be a single-parent-positive franchise.

Its easier to write a single parent rather than two, because otherwise you have an extra character whose role in the story is redundant. Its why a lot of media have kids with one dead parent. Also, its an easy way to generate sympathy for the parent and child.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Then how come Trucy and Apollo get to have five dads between them, huh? Even if they're currently sharing one, that's still a lot of dads!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do we ever see Phoenix's parents?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

SardonicTyrant posted:

I like how Gregory Edgeworth is just all business and doesn't get involved with the usual shenanigans.

Daddy Edgeworth is the best. Shame we got so little of him.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Gregory Edgeworth: *calmly and professionally extends hand* Manfred von Karma, at last we meet.

Manfred von Karma: Lol lick my nutz, binch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Again, I like that almost the entire series happened because one guy was so much better at making sweets than everyone else that someone died

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

SoJ case 4 so that was a pretty fun case and the fact that it's short really does help it; Blackquill really did help dilute a lot of Sahdmahdi by actually being someone to just speak back against him and call him out on things, and Taka reappearing to fetch manju buns for the court is adorable :3

And intro to case 5 ohhhhh my god we're starting on a roll already Dhurke really is nega-Phoenix isn't he, right down to just bluffing his way through

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Any rumors or news on other Ace Attorney games being released on PC/etc. after the Ace Attorney trilogy?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Merilan posted:

And intro to case 5 ohhhhh my god we're starting on a roll already Dhurke really is nega-Phoenix isn't he, right down to just bluffing his way through

Dhurke is my favourite character in the series and he made me like Apollo more by association

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

AAI2 - 3 is a weird case. The actual case itself seems to rely too much on coincidence, but the scenes with Gregory Edgeworth are really strong.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

And Justine Courtney is a much better "moral high-ground" antagonist than Nahayuta.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is the DGS2 fan-translation in the works yet? I’m going to order to DGS1 atm and am trying to decide if I shouldn’t just nab DGS2 as well.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The team that did 1 said that they're also doing the 2nd, though I dunno if they have actually started it yet.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i believe they said that they're working on it and it's going much faster compared to the first one because they already have the technical stuff figured out

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

SoJ case 5 investigation day 1 omggggg the drone is adorable but Sarge's story is so sad and I'm glad Apollo is a good boy that's getting along with him

Paul Atishon seems like an on the nose parody of some Japanese politician's useless son but I wouldn't know which one; I imagine he'll be pretty hilarious in court. And I loved the refs in Buff's manor, from the golden statue to the Ami pot that still has the pink splotches to the gravy wall scroll

and Pearl is back and has upgraded to trilogy Maya's animations!!! aieeee :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Y'all think Mia and Lana went to Themis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Raxivace posted:

Is the DGS2 fan-translation in the works yet? I’m going to order to DGS1 atm and am trying to decide if I shouldn’t just nab DGS2 as well.

Yep, they've already put out a demo for case one on 3ds