Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I think it's kind of cool how Tanya starts out as a grunt and has to claw her way up the ranks and even by the end of the series she's still just a mid-level grunt. It's a more realistic take on what would actually happen if someone had perfect foreknowledge of a war (read: getting forced into making a bunch of bad decisions by people with more authority than you) as opposed to the more typical isekai trope where the MC somehow instantly catapults themselves into the position of great General and makes sweeping reforms to totally alter the course of the war.

even with that aspect though it's kind of meh and not really worth a watch imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Elfface posted:

The ending page of the new sword-dad deserves to be airbrushed on the side of a van, and also be the finishing blow against a powerful enemy.

I wish sword dad wasn't an isekai because it's a fun premise with some good moments, but the video game stats stuff makes the writing very lazy and him being reincarnated doesn't seem to bring anything to the story. There are stories in this genre where they do something fun or interesting with those elements, but when I read sword dad I just end up thinking that him being reincarnated takes up space where the sword could have a more interesting backstory, and the video game stats replace more interesting fights and progression with "oh I levelled up" and "I stole this skill sometime in the past, I will use it here!".

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Part of the fun of Tanya is her sociopathic overachiever salaryman mentality clashing with her desire for luxury and safety.

The outside perspectives help a lot as well.

And the light novels have the hook of chapters about a post-war journalist doing an investigation into Tanya and the unit she commanded, and finding all the records on multiple sides gone or destroyed, with people not really willing to talk about her.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 22, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've heard it described as "Blackadder goes Forth: The Anime" which has made me kinda interested. I'll probably watch it when I free up some time thanks to Isekai Quartet. I should probably get around to Re:Zero too.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's not quite awful but the anime doesn't quite get anywhere except set up a rival for Tanya.

Not like Overlord exactly has gotten anywhere that interesting. Sure, things develop but Ainz is still Ainz and totally OP. That said, you can totally see Tanya getting the payback she deserves, whereas it seems ridiculous to suggest Ainz could be beaten.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea it's better than Overlord but that show is bullshit

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Pharohman777 posted:

Part of the fun of Tanya is her sociopathic overachiever salaryman mentality clashing with her desire for luxury and safety.
I really disliked Tanya as a character due to the fact she's a manipulative sociopath who puts less value on the lives of those around her than a normal person would put to the lives of ants. She'd happily manipulate, injure or kill anyone if it benefited her in some way with absolutely no hesitation. I also didn't like that she was a genius with insane magic powers. The god that send her there was supposedly trying to teach her humility, so making her as overpowered as the average Narou isekai protagonist made no sense.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

I really disliked Tanya as a character due to the fact she's a manipulative sociopath who puts less value on the lives of those around her than a normal person would put to the lives of ants. She'd happily manipulate, injure or kill anyone if it benefited her in some way with absolutely no hesitation. I also didn't like that she was a genius with insane magic powers. The god that send her there was supposedly trying to teach her humility, so making her as overpowered as the average Narou isekai protagonist made no sense.

Considering all she wants is to sit in the backlines and live the good life, making her become the focal point of the army is a pretty spiteful from Being X

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

korrandark posted:

Considering all she wants is to sit in the backlines and live the good life, making her become the focal point of the army is a pretty spiteful from Being X

yeah it's funny how her OP superpowers actually work against her in a lot of ways. If she didn't have any magic powers at all she could totally score that rear-echelon clerical work she dreams of. And even if she just wasn't the Best Mage Ever she wouldn't have to deal with being constantly sent on insane suicide missions by superiors she can't refuse and being a kill-on-sight priority target for the enemy forces.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

I would really describe it more as X was trying to teach Tanya to believe in X instead of being an atheist, thus the prayer she has to say every time she wants to use her magic.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Red Bones posted:

I wish sword dad wasn't an isekai because it's a fun premise with some good moments, but the video game stats stuff makes the writing very lazy and him being reincarnated doesn't seem to bring anything to the story. There are stories in this genre where they do something fun or interesting with those elements, but when I read sword dad I just end up thinking that him being reincarnated takes up space where the sword could have a more interesting backstory, and the video game stats replace more interesting fights and progression with "oh I levelled up" and "I stole this skill sometime in the past, I will use it here!".

The manga has just finished up the first major arc, setting up Fran and the world. We're basically leaving the tutorial area, and while Fran and her sword are pretty strong, they're far from the strongest thing out there and they're about to learn that in a serious way. Which also means they're going to stop always coasting on stats alone, though they do continue to matter, and there will be more interesting fights. There's also a taste of the mystery regarding the sword, though it doesn't answer anything, just adds more questions. While avoiding spoilers I do want to say there is quite the backstory regarding the sword and why it contains a reincarnated soul, though it does take too long until we find out more (like, past the fan translation of the WN until we learn everything, though there are some answers along the way).

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I would really describe it more as X was trying to teach Tanya to believe in X instead of being an atheist, thus the prayer she has to say every time she wants to use her magic.
The salaryman states that he had an advantageous life and that's why he needed no gods, to which the god responds by stating that by that reasoning if his fortune was reversed then he'd have faith. And he then proceeded to give Tanya plenty of advantages so that she was still privileged compared to others.

korrandark posted:

Except that she was the one drawing attention to herself and trying to be given additional dangerous missions and greater responsibilities. If she had just pretended to be a normal girl or only demonstrated her organizational abilities she'd have been able to easily avoid the front lines. Her situation is described by this image:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tanya's not smart enough to realize that cushy backline jobs are obtained via connections, not merit.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think the issue with Tanya is less that she has too many negative traits and more that she has no positive ones. I read the first dozen chapters of the manga and never felt any reason to root for her. The war setting is exceedingly well done, and the central joke is pretty good too (that a cold, calculating corporate climber would do just as well in a military as in business). But I never got the sense the protagonist was going to grow or learn anything.

Maybe if it were more of a dark comedy it would work better, like Thank You For Smoking meets Catch 22. But most of the battle scenes are played straight.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The moment I saw my local theater was playing the Tanya movie was one of the most baffling moments of my life.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

everythingWasBees posted:

instant death is a p uncomfortable power fantasy with lots of kind of skeevy elements so im gonna ask we not discuss that one in this thread

I interpreted as a parody of power fantasies (by turning it into a childish game of "nuh uh, you're dead"), and frankly it seemed to lack all the second elements of power fantasies, like everyone falling in love with how amazing the main character is, or the main character always being morally justified no matter what, but all right. It certainly has this ultra-violent shock value thing going on.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

nrook posted:

I think the issue with Tanya is less that she has too many negative traits and more that she has no positive ones. I read the first dozen chapters of the manga and never felt any reason to root for her. The war setting is exceedingly well done, and the central joke is pretty good too (that a cold, calculating corporate climber would do just as well in a military as in business). But I never got the sense the protagonist was going to grow or learn anything.

Maybe if it were more of a dark comedy it would work better, like Thank You For Smoking meets Catch 22. But most of the battle scenes are played straight.

I dunno that you are really supposed to be rooting for her? Like you say the story gives you basically no reason to do so.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

korrandark posted:

This is the same excuse a number isekai WNs use to be like "but it's not REALLY wish fulfillment," though. I'm pretty sure I've encountered at least like 5+ with a premise of "I just wanted to relax and be normal, but I was OP?!"

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

linall posted:

I dunno that you are really supposed to be rooting for her? Like you say the story gives you basically no reason to do so.

I haven't read the books, but it comes across like she's a one-person No Exit: trapped by her own flaws into creating her own little Hell for herself. She's not good, and won't ever be, it's just interesting to watch the fallout.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
The times when Being X actually does clown on her are really good.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 23, 2019

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm 90% certain this whole thing is Being X making that rear end in a top hat fix up that trash world for them while they throw popcorn and say rude things.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

linall posted:

I mean the English title is The Saga of Tanya the Evil so I think it's fair to say that there might be some subtle hints that she might not be a great person who you should be rooting for.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I still think it's worth watching the shows to get the maximum enjoyment out of Issekai Quartet, even if you didn't like some of them.

I really didn't care for Re:zero, but still watched through it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

SpartanIvy posted:

I started watching Tanya of the Evil Empire or whatever solely because it's the only quarter of Isekai Quartet I haven't seen. Gotta say, the first episode didn't really blow me away. Does it get a lot better or is it just "crazy OP Isekai protagonist in magical WWI" the whole time.

I'd at least watch the second episode. It's the one that introduces the isekai elements and it does change the feel of the show a fair bit.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Paracelsus posted:

I haven't read the books, but it comes across like she's a one-person No Exit: trapped by her own flaws into creating her own little Hell for herself. She's not good, and won't ever be, it's just interesting to watch the fallout.

Yeah, this is pretty much why Tanya is fun to watch and read.

And you know that the fallout is big enough that in the postwar chapters all sides want to forget about her, so there's this anticipation of what she's gonna do that makes governments scrub her out of history.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 23, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Watching Isekai Quartet got me thinking of what would happen if Megumin met Lina Inverse. What kind of satisfaction would Megumin get if she learned Lina's Dragon Slave.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Xelkelvos posted:

Watching Isekai Quartet got me thinking of what would happen if Megumin met Lina Inverse. What kind of satisfaction would Megumin get if she learned Lina's Dragon Slave.

It's not the Explosion spell, so she wouldn't care.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

sunken fleet posted:

I mean the English title is The Saga of Tanya the Evil so I think it's fair to say that there might be some subtle hints that she might not be a great person who you should be rooting for.

I agree. I was just just responding to nrook's post where they said it was hard to root for Tanya. I mean, I think the show sometimes gets lost in the weeds ( haven't read the source material so I can't say if the light novels have the same problem ), but to my mind the draw of the story is definitely watching her self-destruct.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

linall posted:

I agree. I was just just responding to nrook's post where they said it was hard to root for Tanya. I mean, I think the show sometimes gets lost in the weeds ( haven't read the source material so I can't say if the light novels have the same problem ), but to my mind the draw of the story is definitely watching her self-destruct.

I think we might violently agree on this one. The parts of the story on the back line are fun because they're mostly comedy, and you don't need to empathize with Tanya to laugh at her misfortunes. But since the battles are played straight and don't have a sympathetic protagonist, I found it tough to care about how they would turn out.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What’s the name of the sword dad manga? I would like to read it

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

thetoughestbean posted:

What’s the name of the sword dad manga? I would like to read it

Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Funnily enough if you search "Sword Dad" on mangadex it actually shows up. Thanks, taggers.

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

Tanya's author fetishizes germany way too much like the schleswig war, which the first arc was about, portrayed the "germans" as the underdogs when inreality they absolutely crushed the danes because lol what the gently caress denmark why would you declare war on germany?

edit:also who even cares about the schleswig war?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

she's a libertarian so that says all you need to know about her morals right there

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
She also steals Christmas presents, so she's basically the Grinch.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

She also steals Christmas presents, so she's basically the Grinch.

"Is The Grinch A Libertarian" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
multiple new chapters of overly-cautious hero, and...there's a TV anime in production already?

the cartoonish expressions of the goddess are really refreshing. she goes from semi-moeblob to spongebob-esque from frame to frame

I love this one in particular

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 25, 2019

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
This chapter has been deleted.

That's pretty cautious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vonnie posted:

This chapter has been deleted.

That's pretty cautious.
I guess some 4chan guy uploaded it against the translator's wishes. the translator hosts his stuff on https://www.boredomsociety.xyz/titles/info/22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I guess some 4chan guy uploaded it against the translator's wishes. the translator hosts his stuff on https://www.boredomsociety.xyz/titles/info/22

Cool, I didn't know they were up like nine updates already.