Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Even if my roommates ended up being the best people in the world I still wouldn't want to live with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I used to very briefly live in one of those houses where everyone shares a kitchen and mostly everyone was like, a kimchi-fermenting polyamorous vegan cook.

It was really awful. Their personalities were fine individually, but communally the feedback wrecked their brains. The kitchen was madness, and yet the cleanest part of the house. The yard was... Oh boy. They'd grow tons of veggies and herbs back there but never mow or trim the bushes, I tried one day and after hours of clipping and composting and raking it still looked like tangled poo poo.

It's hard enough to keep after my own poo poo without inviting others to utterly drop the ball, so I swore my next living situation would be solo.

Then I moved in with my girlfriend.

I want my own space so bad sometimes...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol: that goons can't be around people, sounds like a problem that would solve itself

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brawnfire posted:

It's hard enough to keep after my own poo poo without inviting others to utterly drop the ball, so I swore my next living situation would be solo.

Then I moved in with my girlfriend.

I want my own space so bad sometimes...

I kind of think my ideal situation would be to live with someone but have two houses/flats. Like, have a main/shared space where we both live most of the time, but have a second, smaller place that either of us can just retreat to to live alone for a couple of days whenever we like. 'Cause no matter how much you like someone, there can be too much of a good thing, and sometimes you just want to get away from everyone.

I've lived with people before that I really liked and got along with well basically all of the time, and I would still look forward to the times when they'd be away for a night (or more) and I'd have the place to myself.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: that goons can't be around people, sounds like a problem that would solve itself

I just don't want to live with anyone if I'm not in a relationship with that person

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I kind of think my ideal situation would be to live with someone but have two houses/flats. Like, have a main/shared space where we both live most of the time, but have a second, smaller place that either of us can just retreat to to live alone for a couple of days whenever we like. 'Cause no matter how much you like someone, there can be too much of a good thing, and sometimes you just want to get away from everyone.

That sounds good. Watching shows, sharing hobbies, or sharing meals with others is something I enjoy a lot. Sleeping around other people or trying to concentrate on writing or art is not.

One of the things I most want is to decorate my own way. Not compromise a single thing. I just want to see what it looks like! I've compromised my aesthetic for many many people... Even something as little as getting a different shade of the color I want because my wife dislikes it means I'm looking at it going "yeah, it's great! (But the one in my head was better oh well)"

And then with a toddler, aesthetic takes a backseat to garishly-colored products and weird piles of mushy cereal deposited on furniture. I guess it's been good for my anxiety response to messes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

I've lived with people before that I really liked and got along with well basically all of the time, and I would still look forward to the times when they'd be away for a night (or more) and I'd have the place to myself.

Everyone who lives with other people feels that way my dude.

I love it when I come home on an evening and the lights are all off, it's a night where I can sit around in my underwear, eat nachos, and watch some horror movies.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I try and be a body positive person, but it kinda annoys me when I find someone funny on Twitter (or some other social media platform), and I wind up discovering that her content is 80% focused on "Hey I've got a huge rack, give me 25 bucks a month on Patreon to see said rack on snapchat!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People who don’t understand that all stereotypes are not created equal.

“Americans are fat and get confused by the metric system”
“Germans love mundane simulator games like Euro Moped Rider 2004”
“Canadians say soarry after you punch them”

Ok ok, you could make a funny joke with one of these...

“Jews are hooknosed moneygrubbers”

No no no!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve lived with two groups of roommates and it’s been wonderful. I don’t like living alone.

Never fought anyone. Never got mad. Had some issues but never anything that escalated. We did have one bad roommate but we all agreed he was a piece of poo poo.

I’m also still really good friends with my first set of roommates. Maybe I got lucky.

It depends on your personality and also luck of the roommate draw. I don't have the right personality, and I've been unlucky, and I will do everything in my power to NEVER have roommates again.

I know that I need my own space, even on vacation. When I was working abroad, our program would organize group trips. To keep costs down, they rented a hostel that had group rooms. When I found out that they wanted 15 guys to share one general room, I freaked out and told them that I was still going with them but would find and pay for my own hotel room. I might have missed out on some group activities, but not having to deal with drunk roommates or get rudely woken by getting kicked in the face (which happened to someone) definitely outweighed any of the poo poo that I missed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What the gently caress, Hulu has completely failed at keeping track of my place, it's becoming extremely aggravating to have to click through the episodes until I find one that isn't familiar. This is part of the functionality of streaming!!!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I have a very specific peeve involving one of my friends. We hang out a lot but he has the weirdest thing about music when he throws parties.

Usually he just leaves it off. I know that's not actually rude or anything but it's weird af. Bunch of rowdy dudes drinking and playing Cards Against Humanity with no music on in the background.

Then someone (me) will say hey can you turn something on and then it's really weird poo poo like the tedious type of EDM (not sure what subgenre this is, I love a lot of electronic music but this poo poo is boring and every song sounds alike), or remixes of Baby Shark, or 90s boy bands, or Adagio for Strings(?!)

Like how can my awesome friend, with his immaculate home with the tastefully modern decorating scheme and the professional-quality mood lighting, not understand musical atmosphere.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

^^ who cares, he didn't want you to use it. you have to be diplomatic and respectful, neither trait i've seen in your posting, so it follows that nobody would live peacefully with you

Have you considered that maybe he didn't tell anyone about his stupid sponge separation of duties before trying to dunk on me? Plus it's a loving sponge, they cost like 30 cents to replace. And for the record I replaced the entire pack because he was so upset about it, but I still thought it was the dumbest thing I've ever seen, up until he tried to wash the dishes with the super thick dawn dish soap and flooded the kitchen in suds.

And I have had good roommates and we got along enough to live together for 5 years. Still would never go back living with either of them. Even people you like have things that bother you to the point of becoming peeves, and like I said, imho the bad outweighs the good of having company and paying less money. I'd rather see them when we both feel like it, not every waking moment

artsy fartsy posted:

I have a very specific peeve involving one of my friends. We hang out a lot but he has the weirdest thing about music when he throws parties.

I had a neighbor/friend who would exclusively play dropkick murphies and similar "irish" stuff at parties/any gathering that involved music. Can't stand anything with a banjo or bagpipes in it ever since.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 22:31 on May 22, 2019

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

artsy fartsy posted:

Then someone (me) will say hey can you turn something on and then it's really weird poo poo like the tedious type of EDM (not sure what subgenre this is, I love a lot of electronic music but this poo poo is boring and every song sounds alike), or remixes of Baby Shark, or 90s boy bands, or Adagio for Strings(?!)

your friend rules, sorry

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hate when people have a “casual” party (or worse, a simple car ride) where people are trying to converse but insist on blaring the music like it’s a club.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate when people have a “casual” party (or worse, a simple car ride) where people are trying to converse but insist on blaring the music like it’s a club.

when people don't realize the speakers in their car are way louder in the back?? that poo poo sucks

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People who don’t understand that all stereotypes are not created equal.

“Americans are fat and get confused by the metric system”
“Germans love mundane simulator games like Euro Moped Rider 2004”
“Canadians say soarry after you punch them”

Ok ok, you could make a funny joke with one of these...

“Jews are hooknosed moneygrubbers”

No no no!

Americans never understand how part of European politeness includes making fun of one another's national identities as hard as you can.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Waking up from an interesting dream and remembering nothing except that it was interesting

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

SubNat posted:

Extremely norwegian peeve:

Ok, here we go again. People who say J as JE instead of JOD. Too similar in pronunciation to letters such as g (GE), b (BE), c (CE), d(DE), e (E). Besides, not folkelig at all. Do you have to talk like you drive a Tesla even if you don't own one?

Midig has a new favorite as of 23:11 on May 23, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maður segir ,,joð", þið austmennirnir þurfið að sætta ykkur við það að þið eruð bara diet Danmörk.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
People facing away from you when talking to you, then getting annoyed that you didn't hear them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

People facing away from you when talking to you, then getting annoyed that you didn't hear them.

Oh my god! So often!

Also, when the only person on the entire length of a road is the one slowly cruising by while you have to wait to turn

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peeve: that William the Conqueror took England instead of Harald Hardrade. Norse english would be way cooler than norman and it could be in one of the mutually-intelligible language clubs, probably.

Guddag skandinaviske frende, het is engelsk nu. Or something like that. I don't speak viking.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 05:31 on May 24, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

People who try to get your attention or talk to you while you're on your way to the toilet.

Nothing you want to talk to me about or have me do could possibly top my priority list over the cylinder of human poo poo about to come out of my human rear end at the moment.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who walk through museum exhibits the wrong way (starting at the end). They set it up in an order for a reason. You're just messing up the flow of traffic. If everyone started at the beginning and moved along as they read you'd get through the thing twice as fast without any shoving.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

People who try to get your attention or talk to you while you're on your way to the toilet.

Nothing you want to talk to me about or have me do could possibly top my priority list over the cylinder of human poo poo about to come out of my human rear end at the moment.

Especially because any expert shitter uses the walk there to ease it out for efficient expulsion upon reaching the restroom. Interrupting that process is a dangerous game.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

I just yell SHUT UP I GOTTA POOOOOOOP while scooting to the bathroom.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DizzyBum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oX_m7U4u5M

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

I stay and listen and nod attentively while also aggressively doing the peepee dance

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

I stay and listen and nod attentively while also aggressively doing the peepee dance

I do a squat-thrust and aim my rectum at them like an air-gun.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

Well it's mostly the people who get all indignant and "well excuuuuuse me" even when you do this that bother me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Well it's mostly the people who get all indignant and "well excuuuuuse me" even when you do this that bother me.

Oh I'm SORRY I didn't REALIZE your PERSONAL DISCOMFORT was somehow more INTERESTING than my TEDIOUSNESS

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I met a dude who says “arse.” But he has an obvious upstate accent. And like, he doesn’t say it, like, britishly, he pronounces the r like someone, with, well, his own accent. Why dude? You are a walking peeve!

I dunno if it would be more or less annoying if he was one of those idiots who decides to start saying mum and bollocks to sound... quirky?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I met a dude who says “arse.” But he has an obvious upstate accent. And like, he doesn’t say it, like, britishly, he pronounces the r like someone, with, well, his own accent. Why dude? You are a walking peeve!

I dunno if it would be more or less annoying if he was one of those idiots who decides to start saying mum and bollocks to sound... quirky?

Same with people who use "bloody" who are from America or Canada. Looking at you Peterson.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Same with people who use "bloody" who are from America or Canada. Looking at you Peterson.

Personally I say BLOOMIN' or BLITHERIN'

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Every time I take a melatonin before bed I seem to be up an hour earlier than I would be normally. I don't want to be up at 5! This sucks!!

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
i hate when people call male sex demons 'succubi' if it's a male sex demon it's an incubus, how hard is this to remember?!

also that mcdonalds can be open 24 hours a day but won't serve me a burger before 10am

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Hour of the Wolf. Thank you brain, I really wanted to wake up at 2:30 in the morning with anxiety over everything.

EDIT:

ulex minor posted:

also that mcdonalds can be open 24 hours a day but won't serve me a burger before 10am

Conversely, they also won't serve you McNuggets after 4am.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

The Hour of the Wolf. Thank you brain, I really wanted to wake up at 2:30 in the morning with anxiety over everything.

EDIT:

Conversely, they also won't serve you McNuggets after 4am.

Which is absurd. Nuggets with honey or maple syrup are a primo breakfast item, basically chicken french toast sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Chicken and waffles exists at plenty of diners and fast food restaurants! Don’t get breakfast McNuggets christ on a cracker