Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
All you really need to know is that this happened:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bogus Adventure posted:

That owned and everyone who's like "duh but why would they side with aliums they aren't blonde or blue eyed" is forgetting how the nazis conveniently shifted what they counted as close enough to aryan based on whoever was willing to side with the Axis.

I dont care what species they are, dead nazis are a positive addition to any media :colbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There was a lot of stuff that was never really explained. They teased the mysterious Future Guy for multiple seasons and then never explained what his deal was. Apparently the plan was for him to be a future version of Archer, maybe from a different timeline. I'm just glad that they concluded that arc so we didn't have to deal with its nonsense for the entire show's run.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Uhhhhh guys, pretty sure STO isn't cannon, like, at all...

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

That owned and everyone who's like "duh but why would they side with aliums they aren't blonde or blue eyed" is forgetting how the nazis conveniently shifted what they counted as close enough to aryan based on whoever was willing to side with the Axis.

I dont care what species they are, dead nazis are a positive addition to any media :colbert:

Star trek won't fight Nazis now because they don't want to alienate the loudest parts of their fan base

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Preston Waters posted:

Uhhhhh guys, pretty sure STO isn't cannon, like, at all...

This literally happens every goddamn time if people are talking about Star Trek Canon, people start talking about STO. No, I don't loving get it either

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean, if STO is canon, then every time you make a new purple cat person for your erotic grey dumpster role-play, does that count? Like, more than the novels?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I wasn't talking about canon, I was just bringing up that 'this was how STO explained that.'

People who want STO to be canon are broken.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the storyline events are soft canon, i.e. canon until otherwise contradicted by the primary sources (film & tv)

in other words, until they make a tv show about it, that is what caused the hobus explosions

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Starfleet Dental trapping people in rooms with Engineering shields and chaining Subspace Party Amplifiers to blind everyone and turn Deep Space Nine into Deep Space poo poo is canon and I refuse to hear anyone telling me otherwise

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A Time To Stand except instead of Rom sabotaging the mine sweeper, he blocks Weyoun in a room while Jake and Kira hose him down with bug spray

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Danaru posted:

Starfleet Dental trapping people in rooms with Engineering shields and chaining Subspace Party Amplifiers to blind everyone and turn Deep Space Nine into Deep Space poo poo is canon and I refuse to hear anyone telling me otherwise

Those were good times.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Why can't the overarching story line in star trek online be cannon without everyone's characters actually having an effect on anything.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

drilldo squirt posted:

Why can't the overarching story line in star trek online be cannon without everyone's characters actually having an effect on anything.

The story isn't very good. The player shenanigans were the good part.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

anything that involves being on foot is terrible ps2 era graphics

the space battles are fun though

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'd honestly rather not play the game than play the ground segments.

If they let you access the Doff system through an app or something I'd play THAT religiously

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Star Trek Online is incredibly, unbelievably stupid and features idiotic garbage at every turn, including boring ground combat

and I'd STILL play it then watch Enterprise.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

Couldn't a big gamma-ray burst in a nearby (like 5 ly away) system have a pretty catastrophic effect? Not blowing the planet into dust or anything, but enough to kill it?

Didnt spock say the supernova threatened to destroy the entire galaxy

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Spock is in fact an idiot

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'm just working with what I got, anything that could destroy an entire galaxy is ludicrous. And firing a black hole at the supernova because it can stop it is even more ludicrous. But who's to say that two totally moronic things can't cancel out and then make perfect sense?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm just working with what I got, anything that could destroy an entire galaxy is ludicrous. And firing a black hole at the supernova because it can stop it is even more ludicrous. But who's to say that two totally moronic things can't cancel out and then make perfect sense?

JJ Abrams doesn't care if it makes sense as long as it looks fancy and things 'splode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if the supernova was generating a, uh, warp field because it was vibrating in harmonics with, um, tetreon particles, caused by, a, a, Cochran flux

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Iron Crowned posted:

JJ Abrams doesn't care if it makes sense as long as it looks fancy and things 'splode

At least Michael Bay is honest about his movies. JJ tries to pretend that he's making high art and that his nose doesn't look like a circumcised penis.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What if the supernova was generating a, uh, warp field because it was vibrating in harmonics with, um, tetreon particles, caused by, a, a, Cochran flux

JJ Abrams wants to be a high-class version of Micheal Bay, so yes

e;fb

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now I kinda want a Bay Trek

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Bogus Adventure posted:

LMAO. Well played, Enterprise.

I was reading up on the Borg the other day and love that the Kazon are such a trash species that the Borg didn't want to assimilate them. They're so lovely that adding them would actually reduce the Collective's combined intelligence. I like to think they assimilated exactly ONE Kazon just so they could tick them off in their Galactic Species Pokédex, and felt dirty about even that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Voting Floater posted:

LMAO. Well played, Enterprise.

I was reading up on the Borg the other day and love that the Kazon are such a trash species that the Borg didn't want to assimilate them. They're so lovely that adding them would actually reduce the Collective's combined intelligence. I like to think they assimilated exactly ONE Kazon just so they could tick them off in their Galactic Species Pokédex, and felt dirty about even that.

Well that's what wonder trade is for

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Iron Crowned posted:

Now I kinda want a Bay Trek

Transformers is slowly turning into that. At some point, humans are going to get the tech to travel beyond Earth from the Autobots so they can continue their fight against Megatron.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
The subspace thing isn't the worst bit of technobabble I've ever heard. Most of the shows mention how subspace weapons would be bad at one point or another. And doesn't TNG have an episode where there is some sort of subspace wave thing threatening a planet? I know Enterprise did an episode like that.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Voting Floater posted:

*sigh* I know what the answer is going to be, but I'll ask anyway... did Enterprise ever adequately explain what the Temporal Cold War was about?

9/11

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I thought it was all about "the sphere builders"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I genuinely forgot about them.

Like I remembered the spheres and the Xindi and space being all fucky but like, god drat I just cannot muster up a poo poo to give about the builders

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Whose allies (Xindi) attacked Earth in a thinly veiled 9/11 metaphor.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It was, and then they got defeated somehow, and out of the bushes leapt another bad guy using time travel to gently caress with the Enterprise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Infinite Karma posted:

It was, and then they got defeated somehow, and out of the bushes leapt another bad guy using time travel to gently caress with the Enterprise.

"While Archer took a team to stop the weapon, Enterprise targeted the primary sphere in the network, Sphere 41. The sphere was protected by a large trans-dimensional disturbance, and once Enterprise entered nine Sphere-Builders boarded and attacked it directly. Nevertheless, they failed to prevent Enterprise from disabling an interspatial manifold on the sphere's surface with a deflector pulse. This resulted in a chain reaction that destroyed the entire sphere network, causing the Delphic Expanse to dissipate and forcing the Sphere-Builders to retreat to their native realm."

Oh, yeah, that... uh, sounds pretty... climactic...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DemoneeHo posted:

So is Picard going to be CBS Netflix only?

Yeah everything is. They want to have like 4 series but only one going at a time so you can never cancel your subscription.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

DemoneeHo posted:

So is Picard going to be CBS Netflix only?

Picard is actually going to be CBS/Amazon Prime.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Picard Show is going to strictly be on torrent sites for people to hate-watch and then be able to say "well at least I didn't pay for this garbage" just like for Discovery.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Baronjutter posted:

Picard Show is going to strictly be on torrent sites for people to hate-watch and then be able to say "well at least I didn't pay for this garbage" just like for Discovery.
CBS should just buy a stake in VPN companies, at least they'd be making money on their shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah everything is. They want to have like 4 series but only one going at a time so you can never cancel your subscription.

Would work on me.