Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I like the comments. This person could have gotten 2k in bounties!

Microsoft bounty program is such poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

I like the comments. This person could have gotten 2k in bounties!

Microsoft bounty program is such poo poo.

If this is the same person, sometime last year she got stiffed on a bounty program, had a twitter meltdown and failed to auction off a zero-day.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pretty sure there’s some declared mental health issues and a proclamation to quit the industry in there as well.

Fun times. I hope she gets the help she needs prior to getting arrested.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Apparently Google is being sued due to the 'someone has signed into your account' false positive that triggered thousands of people-hours in various company security teams? Apparently Roche freaked the gently caress out, and they're huge.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

I've seen some rumblings of proof of concept vulnerabilities out there for the big ol' RDP bug that was patched recently, anyone seen anything public?

Nope. This got my boss all up in a tizzy about it but I looked at MS's pre-patch mitigation and it was a big list of poo poo you should already be doing. Then I patched the servers.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Sickening posted:

bounty program is such poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"You'll get no bounty and we'll sue you if you release it"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

I find it disturbing that someone even assumes they can take an employees personal property.

LOL, yes. No, you can't have my phone. If you touch me, we're gonna fight, and then I am going to press charges and sue the gently caress out of you.

Not to mention that if your BYOD setup is so weak that you need access to a personal device to ensure nothing's walking out, you're already hosed.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/1132026003386241029

ouch

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Got this email from Flipboard but their explanation of how secure their password storage just got me.

quote:

Flipboard
Dear Flipboard Community,
We are writing to let you know about a security incident we recently identified and addressed involving a subset of user data. We know transparency is important to our community, and we want to share with you what we have learned from our investigation, measures we have taken, as well as steps you can take.
What happened
We recently identified unauthorized access to some of our databases containing certain Flipboard users’ account information, including account credentials. In response to this discovery, we immediately launched an investigation and an external security firm was engaged to assist. Findings from the investigation indicate an unauthorized person accessed and potentially obtained copies of certain databases containing Flipboard user information between June 2, 2018 and March 23, 2019 and between April 21 - 22, 2019.
What information was involved
The databases involved may have contained your name, Flipboard username, cryptographically protected password and email address.
Flipboard has always cryptographically protected passwords using a technique known by security experts as “salted hashing”. The benefit of hashing passwords is that we never need to store the passwords in plain text. Moreover, using a unique salt for each password in combination with the hashing algorithms makes it very difficult and requires significant computer resources to crack these hashed passwords. If you created or changed your password after March 14, 2012, it is hashed with a function called bcrypt. If you have not changed your password since then, it is uniquely salted and hashed with SHA-1.
Additionally, if you connected your Flipboard account to a third-party account, including social media accounts, then the databases may have contained digital tokens used to connect your Flipboard account to that third-party account. We have not found any evidence the unauthorized person accessed third-party account(s) connected to your Flipboard accounts. As a precaution, we have replaced or deleted all digital tokens.
Importantly, we do not collect from users, and this incident did not involve, Social Security numbers or other government-issued IDs, bank account, credit card, or other financial information.

We def did not use a algo that has rainbow tables out there since forever.

And who wants to bet it was only one round of sha-1?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

Got this email from Flipboard but their explanation of how secure their password storage just got me.

sha-1 with unique salts isn't nothing to sniff at for pre-2012 storage, what do you expect a rainbow table to help with there? would a million rounds of sha-1 be preferable?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EVIL Gibson posted:

Sounds like they stopped doing it in 2012 though, and if they salted uniquely that was pretty much state of the art AFAIR.

E: ^^ :hfive:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Otoh they should have converted existing users to bcrypt on login, rather than waiting for a password change. They could have minimized the damage to people who haven't logged in since 2012.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

Otoh they should have converted existing users to bcrypt on login, rather than waiting for a password change. They could have minimized the damage to people who haven't logged in since 2012.

Yeah, on login is much better, and after say 5 years absent I think it's reasonable to forcibly reset someone's password if it's in a weak format.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
They needn't wait for login even, just bcrypt the existing mess and set a flag somewhere to commemorate it

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

sha-1 with unique salts isn't nothing to sniff at for pre-2012 storage, what do you expect a rainbow table to help with there? would a million rounds of sha-1 be preferable?

ah. missed the salt part for some reason.

well, at least someone only has my email then i guess

Rufus Ping posted:

They needn't wait for login even, just bcrypt the existing mess and set a flag somewhere to commemorate it

what would they bcrypt ? there's no passwords for users that have not logged in. just sha-1 hashes and a salt.

if you want to confirm the users coming back are the user, the old hash is the only thing to confirm identity besides email and possibly the tokens to see if the user is still the user on facebook or whatever.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 29, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

what would they bcrypt ? there's no passwords for users that have not logged in. just sha-1 hashes and a salt.

if you want to confirm the users coming back are the user, the old hash is the only thing to confirm identity besides email and possibly the tokens to see if the user is still the user on facebook or whatever.
right, and a user has to login with a password so you modify the auth flow to upgrade the existing password scheme to minimise storage using the legacy method. everyone's hash to start with is updated to bcrypt(sha-1hash+unique salt), and you use a flag to know which accounts haven't moved to the new scheme after 1 month/6 months/1 year and force a reset depending on your use-case

in other words

Rufus Ping posted:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

EVIL Gibson posted:

for old users, bcrypt the old sha1 hash and keep the old sha1 salt beside it. add a new field "is_old_hash" and set it to true
on login:
- if "is_old_hash" == false then do your normal bcrypt thing
- if "is_old_hash" == true then check whether saved bcrypt_hash == bcrypt(sha1(old_sha1_salt + password_guess))
- - if false deny access
- - if true replace bcrypt_hash in db with bcrypt(password_guess) and set is_old_hash=false

edit:
then at some point in the future delete the old_sha1_salt field and force a password reset for everyone out who has is_old_hash==true

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 29, 2019

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Rufus Ping posted:

for old users, bcrypt the old sha1 hash and keep the old sha1 salt beside it. add a new field "is_old_hash" and set it to true
on login:
- if "is_old_hash" == false then do your normal bcrypt thing
- if "is_old_hash" == true then check whether saved bcrypt_hash == bcrypt(sha1(old_sha1_salt + password_guess))
- - if false deny access
- - if true replace bcrypt_hash in db with bcrypt(password_guess) and set is_old_hash=false

edit:
then at some point in the future delete the old_sha1_salt field and force a password reset for everyone out who has is_old_hash==true

Just confirming this is the best way to do it. Your post i originally quoted could be taken (like i did) as simply deleting all hashs /salt blindly reset all passwords when the original sha1-salt is a good verification if people have it. Doing that is still an acceptable way, nevertheless.

Rufus Ping posted:

I didn't want people to think the sha1/hash is bad but as still a good verification until the certain date where all people that did not update their password would just be reset completely and their old hashs dumped.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

Just confirming this is the best way to do it. Your post i originally quoted could be taken (like i did) as simply deleting all hashs /salt blindly reset all passwords when the original sha1-salt is a good verification if people have it. Doing that is still an acceptable way, nevertheless.

I didn't want people to think the sha1/hash is bad but as still a good verification until the certain date where all people that did not update their password would just be reset completely and their old hashs dumped.
you'd be better off wrapping some logging around where the password is handled, and you still have the issue of collisions so make sure to stretch it appropriately - break the password into chunks and hash them separately, then recombine before the final pass

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

EVIL Gibson posted:

Your post i originally quoted could be taken (like i did) as simply deleting all hashs /salt blindly reset all passwords when the original sha1-salt is a good verification if people have it.

I'm having difficulty understanding your post but I believe you are referring to the system Volmarias/Subjunctive mentioned:

add a new field "is_old_hash" and set it to true for everyone. *but do not modify any hashes at first*
on login:
- if "is_old_hash"==false then validate password using bcrypt
- if "is_old_hash"==true then validate password using sha1
- - if successful then replace hash with bcrypt(password_attempt) and set is_old_hash=false

EVIL Gibson posted:

Doing that is still an acceptable way, nevertheless.

not really. it is worse than the method i posted. this is because your db still contains sha1 hashes for the duration of the changeover. this is not necessary and is a liability (this is why you're upgrading your hashes! you don't want weak ones in your db)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think that's it. I think what they're saying is:

1. Add new fields "is_old_hash" and "old_sha1_salt."
2. Set the former true for everyone and store the salts in the latter.
3. Bcrypt all hashes in the old password fields. Your database now contains no sha1 hashes.
4. When someone logs in, if is_old_hash is true, hash their password with the sha1 salt, then bcrypt it.
5. Compare the bcrypted hash to the stored password. If they match, bcrypt the regular unhashed password and overwrite it in the database, then set is_old_hash to false.
6. After a few years, delete all is_old_hash passwords from the database and force anyone for whom the flag is still true to reset their password.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think that's it. I think what they're saying is:

1. Add new fields "is_old_hash" and "old_sha1_salt."
2. Set the former true for everyone and store the salts in the latter.
3. Bcrypt all hashes in the old password fields. Your database now contains no sha1 hashes.
4. When someone logs in, if is_old_hash is true, hash their password with the sha1 salt, then bcrypt it.
5. Compare the bcrypted hash to the stored password. If they match, bcrypt the regular unhashed password and overwrite it in the database, then set is_old_hash to false.
6. After a few years, delete all is_old_hash passwords from the database and force anyone for whom the flag is still true to reset their password.

that is what i was trying to describe in my earlier post. if Evil Gibson was trying to describe my method back to me, his understanding is correct

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Oh, my bad. You guys are better at infosec than visual design so your ASCII flowcharts were a little confusing.

On another note, the Twitter accounts this thread recommended a few pages ago are now fighting over Dave Aitel. Who do I root for?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

that is what i was trying to describe in my earlier post. if Evil Gibson was trying to describe my method back to me, his understanding is correct
but your idea is fundamentally broken. there's been enough stories of even google trying this approach and it resulting in password breaches because they had to log it for compliance purposes

if the plan is improving the security why are you wasting energy assuming your database has been hacked rather than stopping it in the first place? it's these practices that plague the industry

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

On another note, the Twitter accounts this thread recommended a few pages ago are now fighting over Dave Aitel. Who do I root for?

allow me to consult the "number of oil powered urinals in his bathroom at home" league table. ok the answer is big dave

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

but your idea is fundamentally broken. there's been enough stories of even google trying this approach and it resulting in password breaches because they had to log it for compliance purposes

if the plan is improving the security why are you wasting energy assuming your database has been hacked rather than stopping it in the first place? it's these practices that plague the industry

How is that broken? I can't think of a way that bcrypting a salted password hash would be somehow less secure than leaving a shitload of SHA1 passwords sitting in a database somewhere.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Here’s Alec Muffett, two decades after Crack 5, talking about how FB does scheme migration and various other tricks:

https://youtu.be/7dPRFoKteIU

(Did then, at least, but I haven’t heard of material changes and I don’t think they’ve deployed any SGX bullshit yet.)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I expect Harley Davidson to have a conference on rider safety with Evel Kneivel as keynote any day now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AlternateAccount posted:

I expect Harley Davidson to have a conference on rider safety with Evel Kneivel as keynote any day now.

Oh my god no.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I hear her talk will about managing and securing shadow email.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
i wish she would just go away

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I mean, giving a keynote at FireEye is kind of like going away.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
FireEye still has a shitload of government business despite their public failures. Helps to know some senators if you want to get big.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
Anyone else going to Cisco Live next week?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, had my meeting as the new guy, meeting with the new director. I took the opportunity to discuss the fact that all of the credentials needed to access millions of rows of legally privileged client information in SQL databases are stored in plaintext on Sharepoint.

Turns out there was merit to my thought of the new director having less inertia than the people who have been here for a decade+. He was absolutely shocked, and plans to talk about it with the new infosec VP I forgot started a couple weeks ago. I suggested a password manager and namedropped Hashivault as an option. I mentioned how they already use Keepass for something else but I don’t like how it shares a password between everybody. He actually said they’re working out budgets for projects so maybe they will even be interested in some not halfassed solution.

I don’t know what kind of person the InfoSec VP is, but I really hope I haven’t made any enemies bringing that up. Considering that one of the 10+ year inertia people is my direct manager.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Its really not a good idea to rock the boat right away. Even something as dumb as that. Humans are just weird and its usually always better to right it down and revisit it in the near future.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Sickening posted:

Its really not a good idea to rock the boat right away. Even something as dumb as that. Humans are just weird and its usually always better to right it down and revisit it in the near future.

Are you the guy that got a bunch of people, rightfully, fired within like a month of joining a new company?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PBS posted:

Are you the guy that got a bunch of people, rightfully, fired within like a month of joining a new company?

True.

They were people who report to me and reading the C level email is a big deal. I wouldn't put those two things in the same category. I could have gotten fired for not take action the way I did.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Sickening posted:

True.

They were people who report to me and reading the C level email is a big deal. I wouldn't put those two things in the same category.

Fair enough