Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Coast Guard doesn't operate refuelable helicopters OR tankers. And there aren't enough of the others in position to just ignore that it's a capability gap.

Whether it's worth the investment to actually reduce/seal that gap or not I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

StandardVC10 posted:

I think a few months back this thread was talking about crappy little Tecnam twins? Well, I found their spiritual ancestor:

Two 100-hp Continental O-200s, max speed 130 mph, engine-out ceiling 2,000 feet, engine-out climb rate lol no.

I found out a most interesting thing about those lovely little Tecnam twins today: apparently, unlike most POHs that have a conversion factor to find grass runway performance from an established paved runway performance chart, the Tecnam is the opposite way around: its performance charts are based on grass runway takeoff and landing performance, and there's a conversion factor for paved runways. I guess they assumed no one would bother taking such a terrible plane to an airport with paved runways out of shame that they might be seen.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Godholio posted:

The Coast Guard doesn't operate refuelable helicopters OR tankers. And there aren't enough of the others in position to just ignore that it's a capability gap.

Whether it's worth the investment to actually reduce/seal that gap or not I have no idea.

Offshore of CONUS (and territories) USCG's official position is to basically maintain aircraft capability to maintain enough transit and loiter time to put fixed wing aviation assets on target to drop life support resources to provide a sufficient time for an AMVER registered vessel to divert and extract.

This covers basically all of the shipping lanes (plus a generous margin, hence the diversion of commercial shipping) between the US West Coast and Asia, including Polynesia, as well as the East Coast to Europe and the Caribbean.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
Anyone heading to Duxford this weekend for the airshow?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia recently got some Pilatus PC-24s for transport and air ambulance service in the outback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0aQtBTNxWg

Shiny clean bizjet landing on a dirty unimproved runway is really something.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Royal Flying Doctor service is a badass name

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

I seem to recall it happening before, many years ago. I can't remember what airport.

PDX June 2013.

shame on an IGA posted:

Ouch. The worst thing a facilities manager can ever do is remind someone they exist.

Truth right here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SeaborneClink posted:

Offshore of CONUS (and territories) USCG's official position is to basically maintain aircraft capability to maintain enough transit and loiter time to put fixed wing aviation assets on target to drop life support resources to provide a sufficient time for an AMVER registered vessel to divert and extract.

This covers basically all of the shipping lanes (plus a generous margin, hence the diversion of commercial shipping) between the US West Coast and Asia, including Polynesia, as well as the East Coast to Europe and the Caribbean.

Interesting. Do you know if they actually do that? Or is it like have of the military's positions where the answer is "We'll do X" when the resources available max out at about half of what's necessary?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

NightGyr posted:

Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia recently got some Pilatus PC-24s for transport and air ambulance service in the outback.

PC-12s and PC-24s make me horny.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Godholio posted:

Interesting. Do you know if they actually do that? Or is it like have of the military's positions where the answer is "We'll do X" when the resources available max out at about half of what's necessary?

An old link, but describes their offshore SAR mission pretty well.

https://gcaptain.com/sailboat-dire-situation-hawaii-matson-containership-diverts-assist/

tl;dr: diverted a WC-130J on an active science mission to establish radio comms and position of a 43' sailboat that had been demasted by a hurricane. They then dispatched a USCG HC-130 to air drop a maritime dewatering pump and life raft + supplies, as well as another USCG HC-130 to plow holes in the sky until a commercial vessel could arrive on scene to rescue the crew.

https://www.pacom.mil/Media/News/News-Article-View/Article/1724571/coast-guard-suspends-search-for-remaining-sincerity-ace-crewmember/

More recently, Sincerity Ace (650ft car carrier) reported a serious fire onboard as well as taking on water 1,800mi northwest of Oahu. 2 USCG WC-130's, 1 USN P-8, 5 commercial vessels were involved in the SAR op, 16/21 crew were rescued.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

PT6A posted:

Not an empty quote :awesome:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Have not done this for awhile: poo poo that's getting refueled at Gander that's filmed by Firefly

Marine Corps Ospreys, GI Joe paint

C-5 Sunset landing/takeoff in a different sunset On display: what May is like in NL

PBY touch and gos

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

I can confirm the PC12 is exactly as good as you think it is, if not better.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Speaking of planes getting people horny

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So is the Canadian Air & Space museum in Ottawa worth the trip?

Aside from Pima I'm pretty close to tapping out the US with regards to aviation museums with one-of-a-kinds and must-see uniques.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't been, but want to, as it contains the world's largest remaining chunk of Avro Arrow.

I have been to the Warplane museum in Hamilton (min 5 hour drive from Ottawa, depending on traffic on the 401, which is not trivial) and they have one of the world's two flyable Lancasters. (For 3500 you can get a seat on a flight, if you got that kind of scratch.) I don't know if that makes it worth going to Hamilton but I'm glad I saw it.

(The Bomber museum in Nanton, just south of Calgary, has a Lanc that can run and taxi but isn't airworthy yet. I think I remember hearing the Hamilton Lanc uses it as a strategic reserve of runnable Merlins.)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, because I'm a glutton for punishment and also because I kind of like to take a long drive from time to time, I'd be driving from DC to Ottawa - I figure I could come home the long way and spend a night in Toronto and check out both that museum and also the Canadian side of Niagara Falls on my way home.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 23, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Ottawa War museum is worth a visit and it’s near downtown too so lots of other things to look at like the canal, the parliament buildings, national gallery etc.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, because I'm a glutton for punishment and also because I kind of like to take a long drive from time to time, I'd be driving from DC to Ottawa - I figure I could come home the long way and spend a night in Toronto and check out both that museum and also the Canadian side of Niagara Falls on my way home.

If you've got the time and are going to come all this way, you could also head west from Ottawa to North Bay to check out the NORAD facility there, I'm pretty sure they do tours. Then head straight down to Hamilton and Niagara via the 407 toll highway (deal with the extoritonate toll price later) and avoid Toronto and most of the 401 entirely/to the extent possible. But if you do end up in the city, let me know and I might be able to meet up for a beer.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

And while you're in Hamilton, you definitely need to get to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, which is home to one of the two remaining airworthy Lancasters, among other things.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

The Ottawa War museum is worth a visit and it’s near downtown too so lots of other things to look at like the canal, the parliament buildings, national gallery etc.

Agreed. That museum is fantastic. Easily the best museum in Ottawa IMHO.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/mckinneytxfire/status/1131693974853492736

d'oh

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

priznat posted:

I'd be staying in/around ByWard Market.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

priznat posted:

Gotta be some pretty calm conditions to put a seaplane down in open ocean!

Did someone say they want a 36 page analysis of the use of sea planes?! THERES LOTS OF PICTURES AND GRAPHS

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6656/1bcbef6653907170ea3f6add56e8dbe0eb9f.pdf

quote:

The following options to deal with such loss in aircraft stability were recommended:
[...]
-Using Jet Assisted Take-Off (JATO), with the pitching motion of a swell used as a ‘ramp’, similar to the take-off ramps on aircraft carriers. JATOs are one-time rocket canisters fired to add lift.

I'll TL;DR though, the US-1A is noted as operating in up to Sea State 5 and the paper kinda takes that as the max suggested design requirement and mentions that 95% of waves are below sea state 5.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 24, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd be staying in/around ByWard Market.

I did a lot of drinking in bars and clubs there back in my university coop days! (RIP Nortel)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I can't find the video at the moment, but I remember there being a Japanese open sea floatplane taking off and landing in some pretty :staredog: sea states.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh8mn0DeKSs
(about 27 minutes in)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yup, that's it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/956944378597203969

Same

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

priznat posted:

The most interesting aviation exhibit I remember seeing there was a collection of wall mounted airplane nose art. After the end of the war in Europe a pair of guys in a Jeep drove around visiting locations where RCAF bombers were being scrapped and cut out sections of skin with artwork.

Also, they have Hitler's car.

Just off the 401 between Ottawa and Toronto there's a decent museum on the base at Trenton. It was a work in progress when I was there, so I don't know exactly what it's like now, but it is the only place in North America that has a Handley Page Halifax. The Ottawa Aviation and Space Museum and Trenton both have a Canadair Argus which is a big impressive cold war beast that's worth seeing.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

NightGyr posted:

Their WA base is just down the road from my house, the kids (and I), love driving down to watch them takeoff/land. Crazy how filthy some of the PC-12s are when the come back from the bush, can't wait to see how the jets looks after a trip up north. The kids have been telling me all the about the "new doctor jets" for the past couple months, finally got to see one a couple weeks ago. Best part, they're way quieter than the PC-12, so it's greatly reduced the 4AM wakeup from the turboprop. :)

And yeah, I agree with the sentiment of others here, they're pretty awesome looking planes. Even more so with the fantastic RFDS paint job.

Honestly, the RFDS is just pretty drat amazing in general.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

JBark posted:

Their WA base is just down the road from my house, the kids (and I), love driving down to watch them takeoff/land. Crazy how filthy some of the PC-12s are when the come back from the bush, can't wait to see how the jets looks after a trip up north. The kids have been telling me all the about the "new doctor jets" for the past couple months, finally got to see one a couple weeks ago. Best part, they're way quieter than the PC-12, so it's greatly reduced the 4AM wakeup from the turboprop. :)

And yeah, I agree with the sentiment of others here, they're pretty awesome looking planes. Even more so with the fantastic RFDS paint job.

Honestly, the RFDS is just pretty drat amazing in general.

So awesome there's (was) a comic strip featuring them

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Hawk_and_the_Flying_Doctors

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

joat mon posted:

a fantastic US-1 documentary video

Apparently noone clicked the link I posted to the US-2 doing the same thing, only even better. The thing has nearly 1000hp per engine more than the US-1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lY2GlzBAtM

:dong:

The US-1/US-2 family is fascinating. They're capable of operating off high seas mostly because they use a fifth gas turbine engine to power a compressor for the (imagine for a moment the kind of compressor you could drive with a 1300hp turbine engine) boundary layer control system, which blows air over the ailerons, flaps, elevators, and rudder to enhance slow-speed lift and drastically improve low-speed control authority. This is something that the US repeatedly experimented with; Internally blown flaps (using compressor bleed air) were used on the F-104 and a few other fighters, and externally-blown flaps (using engine exhaust) are used on the C-17. No major US project that I can find ever used a dedicated compressed-air source like the US-1/2.

Related content, the NASA C-8A QSRA aircraft making COD look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_eDutgh4IU

Note the NASA/NAVY and USS Kitty Hawk markings. Someone got a little zealous. :v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CarForumPoster posted:

Did someone say they want a 36 page analysis of the use of sea planes?! THERES LOTS OF PICTURES AND GRAPHS

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6656/1bcbef6653907170ea3f6add56e8dbe0eb9f.pdf

Thanks; as someone who is perhaps over-committed to diversity in aircraft this is my jam

e:

quote:

The US-1/US-2 family is fascinating. They're capable of operating off high seas mostly because they use a fifth gas turbine engine to power a compressor for the (imagine for a moment the kind of compressor you could drive with a 1300hp turbine engine) boundary layer control system, which blows air over the ailerons, flaps, elevators, and rudder to enhance slow-speed lift and drastically improve low-speed control authority. This is something that the US repeatedly experimented with; Internally blown flaps (using compressor bleed air) were used on the F-104 and a few other fighters, and externally-blown flaps (using engine exhaust) are used on the C-17. No major US project that I can find ever used a dedicated compressed-air source like the US-1/2.

So, is this system by blowing air over control surfaces - does that increase the volume of air moving over those surfaces? Increase the air's speed and thus its lift? I understand the basic concept but I'm a little foggy as to how this works.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 24, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, is this system by blowing air over control surfaces - does that increase the volume of air moving over those surfaces? Increase the air's speed and thus its lift? I understand the basic concept but I'm a little foggy as to how this works.
I helps not stall the control surfaces so they retain lift at lower speeds.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

It only works if the airplane is on a treadmill.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thanks; as someone who is perhaps over-committed to diversity in aircraft this is my jam

e:

Essentially yes, instead of pushing the plane through the air to make lift, it’s using the turbine exhaust to move air over the wing. There’s a bit more to it than that with exhaust being hotter and therefore less dense, but that’s the gist.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

e:

2:45 in

marumaru
May 20, 2013

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Now do a C5 with pontoons