Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

wolrah posted:

Correct answer. If you have winter tires or live somewhere that doesn't have winter there's no good reason to use no-season trash in the summer.

The summer tires I've had have all worn WAY faster than any all-season I've encountered. If you're just using them on a daily driver/commuter, what's the point of all that extra expense?

I completely understand the appeal of and use winter tires, however.

Suburban Dad posted:

Not sure yet. I need a 2 kid (rear facing :suicide:) hauler. I swallowed my pride and tested out a used Honda Odyssey yesterday and wasn't crazy about it. It won't fit my bike inside without taking a wheel off so not much better than a sedan or wagon. I might be looking into a Buick TourX since they're cheap and there are leftover 2018s out there on dealer lots they may be looking to move cheap. Have to test out how they fit with car seats still, though.

Check out the Passat, they have a cavernous rear seat for car seats. Up until 2014 you could get them with a manual and the 1.8T. There are even a few SE trims out there with the leatherette. I was set on buying one for my family car until I decided to go full YOLO and get a high mileage 2011 A8L.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

willroc7 posted:

The summer tires I've had have all worn WAY faster than any all-season I've encountered. If you're just using them on a daily driver/commuter, what's the point of all that extra expense?

I completely understand the appeal of and use winter tires, however.

If you have winter tires there's zero reason for the compromise of all seasons for the warmer months. Slightly less life is worth better wet performance, grip, braking, etc...

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

fknlo posted:

If you have winter tires there's zero reason for the compromise of all seasons for the warmer months. Slightly less life is worth better wet performance, grip, braking, etc...

Maybe I'm getting the wrong tires but my summers lasted like half as long as all seasons.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
some of the high end all seasons are really pretty good these days

im not tracking the GTI so i dunno about the extra cost of summer tires right now

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you aren’t taking 90 degree turns without braking at 35mph I don’t know what to tell you

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Regardless of the tires I buy, I always expect to replace em every 2-3 years.

That's a hard pill to swallow at nearly 200/corner for potenzas.

90 à corner for the firehawk indy 500s though? Hell yeah, that's better than most of the lovely all seasons.

Always take corners at 35 if it's not into a parking lot.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

willroc7 posted:

Check out the Passat, they have a cavernous rear seat for car seats. Up until 2014 you could get them with a manual and the 1.8T. There are even a few SE trims out there with the leatherette. I was set on buying one for my family car until I decided to go full YOLO and get a high mileage 2011 A8L.

You sound like a rational person to listen to.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

:getin:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Today I discovered if I kick my foot under the rear bumper, the hatch opens. This is the best feature, and you should get one of these because I too am clearly a rational person and should be listened to.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Powered rear hatches are the best goddamn thing and car journalists always bitch about how slow they are and yeah maybe some are particularly bad but like...

...you just hit the button before you get to the car. It makes loading groceries or whatever way easier. I've never used the foot sensor ones though.

Also your car rules. What do the side decals say? I can't make it out in any of the pics.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tremek posted:

Today I discovered if I kick my foot under the rear bumper, the hatch opens. This is the best feature, and you should get one of these because I too am clearly a rational person and should be listened to.

I fully support this purchase. Bit too much for my needs though.

I'm still on the quest to find a van that can fit a Large mountain bike without taking off any wheels and a couple car seats. So far the Odyssey couldn't fit the bike which goes against what most online folks suggest.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

Also your car rules. What do the side decals say? I can't make it out in any of the pics.
ALPHA 9

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The dude I bought it from spent $$$$$ upgrading the car with an engine-out AMS Alpha 9 (upgraded turbos) build. The receipts that came with the car total up to more than I actually paid for the car.

Hooray for people of considerable means lighting money on fire for depreciating assets that I can then buy from them for pennies on the dollar!

Suburban Dad posted:

I fully support this purchase. Bit too much for my needs though.
That's defeatist talk right there pal

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm considering doing something insane and buying a *real car* instead of limping along shitheaps.
Is a '19 (US) FiST still a good idea vs very lightly used 18s? There are brand new 19s around here for 19k, and sub 15,000 mile 18s for 16-18k.

I've never had a new car or a warranty before so I don't know what I'm doing :v:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tremek posted:

The dude I bought it from spent $$$$$ upgrading the car with an engine-out AMS Alpha 9 (upgraded turbos) build. The receipts that came with the car total up to more than I actually paid for the car.

Hooray for people of considerable means lighting money on fire for depreciating assets that I can then buy from them for pennies on the dollar!

Jealous of the 900HP crazy wagon. Not jealous of any future repair bills you may have.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Hypnolobster posted:

I'm considering doing something insane and buying a *real car* instead of limping along shitheaps.
Is a '19 (US) FiST still a good idea vs very lightly used 18s? There are brand new 19s around here for 19k, and sub 15,000 mile 18s for 16-18k.

I've never had a new car or a warranty before so I don't know what I'm doing :v:

Used is almost always better. FiSTs are considered the most reliable ecoboost platform generally speaking.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

willroc7 posted:

There are summer tires with decent treadwear. Obviously they aren't the best for performance, but as you note there's only so much performance any given driving scenario needs. I'd count a lot of "ultra high performance all season" tires in this category too, they don't get damaged if driven in freezing temperatures like summer performance tires can but their tread patterns aren't exactly something you want to be counting on to get you through blizzard.

Hypnolobster posted:

Definitely go used with a US FiST.

A 2019 FiST is almost identical to a 2014 mechanically, aside from a tweak to the rear motor mount in 2016. Electronically, they switched from MyFordTouch to Sync 3 in 2016 and gained a backup camera in 2019. All of the differences can be easily retrofitted to older models.

If the warranty is important to you see if you can find a CPO car, but honestly with the FiST it's still a Fiesta underneath so its simple, reliable, and cheap if things do go wrong. They're pretty solid mechanically too, they'll hold up to basically anything you can do with the stock turbo and fuel system without complaint. People generally don't start breaking parts until they're north of 350 HP and usually north of 400.

I'm closing in on 73,000 miles with my 2015 and so far the only cost beyond regular service, tires, and brakes has been a wheel bearing that was damaged by a pothole.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 23, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
The backup cam isnt the "easiest" retrofit though. I still have put it off for a good bit due to fishing wire being a royal PITA plus you have to gently caress with your car computer using forscan. i mean conceptually its easy sure but practically its a pain.

then again lol if you need a backup cam in a fiesta.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

thetechnoloser posted:

Might be the first one here with one----- just sold our 2012 MCA Mustang and got a 2019 Veloster N w/perf pack. Complements my wife's modded Fiesta ST!

Really really loving the active exhaust and rev matching. This thing _sounds_ incredible! Feels way way way better than a stock Focus ST, which is what we were looking at before they stopped manufacture.

Congrats. I actually hate that blue even though things like that are typically my jam. I'm very jealous.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

then again lol if you need a backup cam in a fiesta.

Having had it on my GTI, I don't know if I want to do without it again. Surrounded by baby dicked brodozers in a parking lot? Who cares, backup camera guides the way! I'm actually really disappointed to find out that the vehicle I'm leaning towards replacing my GTI with never came with a backup camera. There are factory retrofits though as it came on other models on the same platform. Not super cheap and annoying to do of course.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its like tiny though.

you could lean through the back glass if it popped up were you not tiny like me

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Backup cameras may not be necessary but they are extremely useful even in a tiny car.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

FBS posted:

Backup cameras may not be necessary but they are extremely useful even in a tiny car.

Yeah, backup cameras actually rule if you use them right (i.e. don't use them as a replacement for your mirrors)

I think it's a piece of technology unfairly maligned by those who claim to want *~a pure driving experience~*

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah, backup cameras actually rule if you use them right (i.e. don't use them as a replacement for your mirrors neck)

I think it's a piece of technology unfairly maligned by those who claim to want *~a pure driving experience~*

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah, backup cameras actually rule if you use them right (i.e. don't use them as a replacement for your mirrors)

One kid doesn't get run over then it's all worth it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm a backup camera convert. Before I got the GTI, I always thought people should just LOOK AT THE MIRRORS/OUT THE GODDAMN WINDOWS.

Today I was backing out of a crappy corner parking spot and it was super helpful. Backup cam 4 lyfe.

Question for the thread: I'm considering getting new wheels (since I've stopped clipping curbs on a weekly basis), but holy poo poo, analysis paralysis is kicking in and I don't even know where to start. Even just going to Tire Rack and looking at OEM sized wheels is overwhelming. Help?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
enkei makes some nice looking, decently lightweight wheels

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BraveUlysses posted:

enkei makes some nice looking, decently lightweight wheels

Yeah look at the vehicle specific forums for wheel advice, trying to do it through manufacturers is a recipe for disaster.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Backup camera is super helpful with my current garage situation as well.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That's the best part about backup cameras IMO. I always turn and look backwards and watch my mirrors when actually backing up, but once I get to the last foot or so the camera is invaluable to let me know exactly where my bumper is.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Of all the tech in cars for anybody to get upset about, a camera and live view on a screen has been a thing in some way or another for approaching 100 years. Sticking it on the back of a car is helpful and non-intrusive. There are better things to be unhappy with.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i wasnt bitching, i was just excusing my laziness in not wanting to fish wire through a tailgate and headliner jeez people.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Kinda wish I had a backup cam on the FoST; visibility feels weirdly bad for a small hatchback

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Parallel parking with a camera feels like cheating

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Potato lighting but finally getting around to installing my parts pile

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That'll stop you. What's up with the grain pattern on the rotors?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Have any of y'all installed the Koni Special Active Struts (SAS) on your cars? It looks like the FSDs are discontinued and this is the replacement or updated part.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

That'll stop you. What's up with the grain pattern on the rotors?

I think the poor lighting caused my phone to do some weird stuff with it. It's a normal cross-machined rotor face.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just replaced all the brakes on my mk7. What a pain in the rear end. Ran about 6 hours to do pads / rotors.

Working on a volkswagen is the literal opposite of working on a BMW. I really enjoy the car most days but I will be looking forward to trading it in in a couple years. The engineering involved is just baffling to me in so many ways. It's the absolute definition of a disposable car. I'm not necessarily sure that's a bad thing, but it's a totally different paradigm to my previous ride. I will not be keeping it past 100k.

Everything these days has paper thin sheet metal and turbos and complicated electrics and weird fasteners. Makes for a terrific driving experience, as long as you trade in every few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evrae
Nov 28, 2016
upgrade =]

evrae fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 28, 2019