Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

lol imagine playing that land destruction deck and the opponent just goes turn 1 quirion ranger or even just a llanowar elves

i am imagining it because it happened in a side event at gp niagara falls. my mono black opponent was displeased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

that deck is so insanely bad that i powered through it blowing up two (2) karoo lands easily when I was on boros weenie. it just doesn't do anything

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

that deck is so insanely bad that i powered through it blowing up two (2) karoo lands easily when I was on boros weenie. it just doesn't do anything

All the LD decks are garbage. You can't pull that poo poo and expect to have a positive winrate against the format. Sometimes though you pull exactly enough Dark Rituals and LD spells to keep the opponent from murdering you, then hit the Monarch and draw exactly enough LD spells to prevent you from losing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm absolutely stupid enough to be genuinely considering building Suicide Black just for shits and giggles.

:black101:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm absolutely stupid enough to be genuinely considering building Suicide Black just for shits and giggles.

Probably better off going with Zombies, since Shepherd of Rot does a LOT of work.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

welp the version of Tron that runs 4 Reap and Sow is garbage - if it's just a four mana stone rain or land searcher it's passable yet unexciting, but if you're greedy enough to try to entwine it you get owned by so many things, such as Flicker on the only target or Prohibit countering your six mana double colored spell or Condescend since you tapped six mana. LD just isn't good enough by itself, since either you have Tron and it doesn't matter what you're doing, or you don't have Tron so you're expending a bunch of mana to slightly delay your opponent. If they have Tron and you don't then either you try to take them off Tron and get owned by Flicker or Pulse or them just having another copy of the land, or you try to find Tron by tapping four mana at sorcery speed which is not a wining play. Also it does literally nothing in any matchup that doesn't involve bouncelands, and those matchups you would vastly prefer having Dinrova Horror, which is also exceedingly important in the mirror. Filling your deck with Reap and Sows also destroys your matchup against the creature decks, and makes the Burn matchup even worse somehow.

I was kind of worried that I'd start seeing anti-Tron Tron builds that throw away all of their other matchups simply to win the mirror, but it turns out the way to win the Tron mirror is to get Tron and colored mana sources before the opponent, and a four mana sorcery doesn't help enough at doing that.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I made a suicide shadow/devotion deck. It’s ok. Pretty fun.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is the new flashback Preordain worth running anywhere?

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Probably not. It's competing with actual factual Preordain and Deep Analysis.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I could see it in a Familiars build.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Is there a consensus on what to run in RDW in place of Gitaxian Probe yet?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Is there a consensus on what to run in RDW in place of Gitaxian Probe yet?

Are you still running Needle Drop? If not, that's a decent replacement.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Are you still running Needle Drop? If not, that's a decent replacement.

Good call there, Needle Drop has saved my life on a few occasions. Are there any other decent red cantrips, or am I better off just adding more burn?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Good call there, Needle Drop has saved my life on a few occasions. Are there any other decent red cantrips, or am I better off just adding more burn?

What's your list?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

What's your list?

4 Ghitu Lavarunner
4 Thermo Alchemist

4 Chain Lightning
3 Curse of the Pierced Heart
4 Gitaxian Probe [To Be Removed]
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Needle Drop
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
1 Skewer the Critics
4 Fireblast

16 Mountain

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

More skewers?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Welp dropped out of the Pauper Challenge at 1-1 in the middle of M3G1 because I am not interested in playing a million Tron mirrors - between me and Hampuse I know there are at least 5 Tron players, knowing only the decks we played against in three rounds. gently caress that. Hopefully they'll emergency ban Tron and Delver and Foil and we can be done with this poo poo.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

skewers get really bad in multiples

make sure to add at least one land to compensate for the deck-thinning from probes. the creature package (especially lavarunners) might need to change as well

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

4 Ghitu Lavarunner
4 Thermo Alchemist

4 Chain Lightning
3 Curse of the Pierced Heart
4 Gitaxian Probe [To Be Removed]
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Needle Drop
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
1 Skewer the Critics
4 Fireblast

16 Mountain

I'd add in the fourth Curse, a couple of Forgotten Caves and a second Skewer.

I'm actually running the full four Skewers in my version, but I also need to update it to remove Probe.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There's a Prophetic Prism for S in MH1.

Do y'all expect it to see play? I know Prism sees play but also that it sees play in Tron, which clearly won't work for this.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

There's a Prophetic Prism for S in MH1.

Do y'all expect it to see play? I know Prism sees play but also that it sees play in Tron, which clearly won't work for this.

didn't the boros midrange decks use proph. prism? not sure what current builds are like, but they could run a reasonable number of snow basics to cast this.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

jassi007 posted:

didn't the boros midrange decks use proph. prism? not sure what current builds are like, but they could run a reasonable number of snow basics to cast this.

i checked mtgtop8 and the rw prism decks run 3-4 basics at the moment. they run a lot of artifact lands to enable metalcraft

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Soul Sisters has a new toy to play with

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Silhouette posted:

Soul Sisters has a new toy to play with

This looks actually legit as hell.

I have no idea what the build would be to make Soul Sisters good but that should surely be in it.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Smdh just let me count to 20 don't encourage this poo poo lol.

I only play casually on mtgo but it really feels like tron is 90% of the format right now. Imo ban flicker and tron.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

blows my fuckin' mind that some idiot at wotc banned daze and didn't touch tron at all

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

blows my fuckin' mind that some idiot at wotc banned daze and didn't touch tron at all

I’d be happy with just a flicker ban

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ban the real messed up card: fangren marauder

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
at this rate just ban island

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'll die laughing if they ban everything but the Urza's lands

B&R update, june 2019:

Pauper: Expedition Map, Chromatic Sphere, Chromatic Star, Prophetic Prism

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Please do not give Tron the Shops treatment.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Does this replace Faerie Miscreant in the Delver decks?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

No, but it might go in a 12 1-drop deck, since there's already people playing Zephyr Sprite.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
So since the next Arena event is pauper, what's a good and cool standard pauper deck?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

20 islands, 40 persistent petitioners

20 swamps, 40 rat colony

mono red

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

What colors do you want to play?

Silhouette posted:

20 islands, 40 persistent petitioners

20 swamps, 40 rat colony

mono red

Petitioners is banned.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So since the next Arena event is pauper, what's a good and cool standard pauper deck?

sadly arena pauper isn't anything like mtgo pauper because all of the fun busted commons like brainstorm aren't in it

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Some Numbers posted:

What colors do you want to play?

Petitioners is banned.

lmao

Rat Colony stampedes over like 99% of other decks, and mono red is pretty easy to do in standard pauper

Maybe white weenie?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

the last time pauper was on Arena I built a Merfolk deck that worked pretty well :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mephitic Vapors is pretty good against Rat Colonies.