Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Auto chess might hold you for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

No Wave posted:

Auto chess might hold you for a bit.

They even branched out and made it into a mobile game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I like that the dota client has that warcraft 3 familiarity like hots does.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The best thing about rain of destruction is how you can just basically ignore it since it doesn't do damage and only does what...like a slow? Or something? It's usually just a big "kill guldan now i guess" sign.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

doverhog posted:

I'm in the market for another game, in case I gave up on this one. Any recommendations? Other mobas are off limits. Overwatch I already considered. Should be something where I can gather levels, admire elven physique, and lose less games because the other people on my team suck.

I basically asked a similar question on the "Recommend me a game" thread and the outlook is not good.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Hn420ugK4

An interview where Kaeo talks about the state of the game. He's still working on HOTS (which I didn't know/expect, I thought he hosed off elsewhere), confirmed there's a new Summer event upcoming, confirmed that there are several major Hero Reworks in the pipeline (we knew about Tassadar and Chen, though), and talked a bit about updating Haunted Mines (again). No timelines on anything outside of the Summer event (which is, of course, slated to happen during this Summer).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The best thing about rain of destruction is how you can just basically ignore it since it doesn't do damage and only does what...like a slow? Or something? It's usually just a big "kill guldan now i guess" sign.

the slow is the level 20 upgrade

i mean it's a pretty decent slow, if you make some assumptions about it ever being applied that aren't really true. -90% movement speed for .5 seconds every time they get hit, it's kind of like a budget earthquake ult from thrall.

it'd almost be worth taking if it like, removed the channel time and increased duration by 3 seconds. but also: that should be done to the base level 10 pick

as current RoD stands, the channel is kind of just annoying more than anything else. the range is kind of an issue. seems like ideally you want to use RoD right as a teamfight begins, and theoretically the other team is going to try to walk away, either because they see the ult getting popped and don't want to fight in its aoe, or because it does a bunch of aoe damage (lol) and scares them off. so, you'd want to aim RoD so that is center is a bit behind the enemy team, but the casting range is short enough that that typically means you're walking much closer to their frontline than you want to.

of course, also in practice, the enemy team can ignore it and probably end up fine. it'll probably do as much DPS over its 7 second duration as a well placed fel flame would've in the 1.5 seconds you spent channeling. it's no longer "an active detriment to use" and now "just kind of bad"

you can get some decent value out of it if you have a teamfight in front of an enemy fort though, forts have a large enough hitbox that you'll probably get some alright siege damage out of it in addition to hitting the enemy team.

i've frequently found myself throwing it at like, bosses or whatever because if i miss out on using it in a teamfight it's not exactly a huge deal anyway. of course, since it has a 90 second cooldown for some reason, i almost certainly do miss a "good" use of it as a result

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 24, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Near as I can tell, you use RoD as an initiator and then hope you’ve got a good Jo to keep em in a row. It’s something to muddy the field and make the enemy on their toes while you do real damage with Fel Flame spam.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Char posted:

I basically asked a similar question on the "Recommend me a game" thread and the outlook is not good.

Where is that thread?

Also the last time I played Gul was in a brawl where I was yelled at for taking drain life talents and not doing enough damage.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

doverhog posted:

Where is that thread?

Also the last time I played Gul was in a brawl where I was yelled at for taking drain life talents and not doing enough damage.

Lol who tf even looks at players builds in brawl, let alone complain about them? What a weirdo.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

doverhog posted:

"stacking life drain talents" was the kind of thing i'd always dismissed as a pretty silly idea until i actually had the displeasure of playing an assassin focusing guldan and watched him outheal my damage

trying it out myself i don't fully understand who my priority targets with it are or how i should position myself but it seems pretty rad

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Lol who tf even looks at players builds in brawl, let alone complain about them? What a weirdo.

I have been annoyed by ult choices. Like Gul’Dan, buddy, you are going to hit everyone on this small map with your RoD, but if you picked Horrify you would guarantee a kill and we would win a teamfight from there :v:

Not annoyed enough to complain about it in chat though, because that way you’ll start a shouting match and there’s no winners in that.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I dunno how good it actually is but have felt that same "oh poo poo" moment when trying to kill Gul'dan with an assassin. I almost never play him so figured hell should be a good fit for brawl. Anyway complaining about brawl is low hanging fruit, whatever got my loot box.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

RoD is much better if you take the "life tap increases the damage of your next ability" talent at 16, since it turns out that that applies to RoD too

Char
Jan 5, 2013

doverhog posted:

Where is that thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3196783&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=501#post495312872

I didn't mention HOTS, but the question stands.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ninjewtsu posted:

"stacking life drain talents" was the kind of thing i'd always dismissed as a pretty silly idea until i actually had the displeasure of playing an assassin focusing guldan and watched him outheal my damage

trying it out myself i don't fully understand who my priority targets with it are or how i should position myself but it seems pretty rad

Succdan is primarily a DPS build, so you'll want to focus targets that are unlikely to be able to interrupt your succening. If you don't have any targets without interrupts, watch for them putting it on cooldown and then move in. If you're not confident in your ability to get good Drain value consistently, pick up Hunger for Power instead of Curse of Exhaustion so you can keep using Corruption for poke instead of relying on it to boost Life Drain.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've been playing around with it more. seems like it'd be much better in draft modes where you probably have some guarantee that you'll have some form of frontline, and also the enemy team will have some form of frontline. if i can catch people out of position with my corruption damage + 50% slow + boosted life drain, it's pretty rad, and if there's a tank in front of me and a tank in front of the enemy team, i can throw that same combo onto the tank if the other team is staying in position and have ~the same contribution as chucking fel flames but while healing myself from 30% to full and not expending mana.

in QM matches where the "frontline" is like, a murkey on my team and alarak on their team, life drain build does not seem very effective, as i either have to overextend to hit their squishies who will all focus fire me because obviously, or i'll get bodied by alarak/thrall/whoever because there's no one in front of me to let me safely stand still for 5 seconds.

i will say that life drain build seems like the best build for going RoD. your primary talent is single target DPS and you're sacrificing gul'dan's usual heavy aoe DPS to get it, so having the big aoe damage ult makes sense to cover that loss, and you'll be picking up darkness within at 16 as part of your build anyway which gives RoD some actual value.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Once of the nice things about Gul'dan is that he's relatively draft-agnostic, but you definitely want to be in a draft mode if you're gunning for Succdan. There's almost no point in running it if the enemy team can stop your channels easily or they have a lot of dive/burst to kill you off quickly. Despite being the tankiest Mage by a good margin, he's still a Mage.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the problem with gul'dan in qm is that 80% of the time the corruption build is the best choice, but it's also the most boring build

i'd be interested to see what other people think of new RoD, i've played enough games forcing myself to take it that i probably need to stop before i completely forget how to land a horrify.

honestly, it actually is pretty good if you're taking darkness within, though this might be stockholm syndrome

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mierenneuker posted:

I have been annoyed by ult choices.

Every Rehgar without fail will take Bloodlust, no matter what. :argh:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I don't know what to think about the new RoD. I hate the wind-up, but I love that it's not channeled anymore. The Level 20 for it would be a slam-pick if it eliminated the wind-up and restored the original range.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Most overpowered talents would be slam-picks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Well I found a use for Greater Cleave, it's pretty good in brawl where everyone's constantly clumped up anyway.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

I finally did it. After 3+ years I have managed to get all heroes without spending $1.

Time to go back to my home planet now.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
New RoD is still a kinda wonky pick, but I choose it every time I think we either have the upper hand or they have a bunch of weaklings on their team. It's great for starting (when you see them posturing to attack) or ending (as they are running away, it had a good range) fights, or sieging, of course. It's versatile, is what I'm saying, and on top of it, you get to do all the damage Gul'dan normally does.

Speaking of Gul'dan, I am now a firm believer in the drain life build. It doesn't have the same team on team, clumped-rear end fight potential, but it is so worth it. You can dominate lanes, and if you pick the 20 talent Demonic Portal you can solo siege keeps easily, then escape without any risk.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I finally did it. After 3+ years I have managed to get all heroes without spending $1.

Time to go back to my home planet now.

This is the saddest cry for help I've seen in a while

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

i got matched as Cassia against a team of 4 auto attack heroes. I picked the blind talent at level 1 and that was pretty much it. it was beastly.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Got several matches last night where neither team had a healer or tank, but the enemy team had Abathur and Illidan

should have just taken the losers queue hit

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
What makes Abathur and Illidan such a deadly duo?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

quick match

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Moola posted:

quick match

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Charles Bukowski posted:

Symbiote attack speed at 4 turbocharges Illidan's passive and makes it impossible to escape from him unless you can run through a gate. The extra shielding, health regeneration, and damage from symbiote is icing on top making Illidan capable of 1.5v2ing pretty easily, and the game snowballs from there.

This is counterable but

Moola posted:

quick match

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Moola posted:

This is the saddest cry for help I've seen in a while

Yeah, I know, right?

*looks at Anduin in the store and the counter that says “6400 gold”*

Totally...

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
I never bought Orphea, it's my silent protest story

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I just bought Orphea :)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Orphea is good and fun.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

illidan's default attack speed keeps his trait from making him overpowered

abathur permanently changes that

in a draft mode you could pick blinds or hard-cc and make the combo useless but in qm there's a very high likelihood that your team comp is incapable of dealing with a half decent illi-aba running amok

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

skipThings posted:

I never bought Orphea, it's my silent protest story

I didn't have a choice. :(

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Is Lucio the only black character in the game?

I don't point this out to be a smarmy rear end but because I wish SO BAD that they'd add best SC villain Samir Duran.

PS Tyrael doesn't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Blaze.