Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'd like to see the ability to buy somebody plat directly rather than having to buy a plat cert and get the code to the desired user. Similar to how you can just straight up buy an av for somebody.

Thabk you for getting me playt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Sid Vicious posted:

Thabk you for getting me playt

Wasn't me, sid lol

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Wasn't me, sid lol

It was a joke because you asked about plat lol I don't have it

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Sid Vicious posted:

It was a joke because you asked about plat lol I don't have it

poo poo I saw the custom icon and got bamboozled

fuckin wiley canadians :argh:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

poo poo I saw the custom icon and got bamboozled

fuckin wiley canadians :argh:

Yeah apparently the custom icon doesn't go away but I can't see it on the awful app anyways and I'm also not sure how I got it! I like it though

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
All this talk about a mobile app or whatever and I have never browsed this site from a mobile device because I am king of shut-in mountain and only read this from an actual computer.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
would like to see a thread's tag from within the thread. If I don't bookmark it and want to find it later, I'll probably remember the tag better than the title.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
More 1 and 0s. More Linux.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

promising carl posted:

Bookmark individual posts.

1. I find a post I like, I click "bookmark post"

2. I open my control panel click "bookmarked posts" or whatever, and I see the post I just bookmarked (as well as all the posts I bookmarked previously)

It's basically faves or likes, but private (no metrics visible to other users, just my private list of bookmarked posts). The author of the post should not know that I bookmarked it.

I like this idea, but if that can't be done I would like an easier way to get a link to a specific post so I can bookmark it myself in my browser.

Another idea I've wanted (I don't think this is actually possible) would be some way to find what was happening in a thread at a particular timestamp. Some of the real fast-moving threads (politics or sports) are tough to keep up with and it'd be nice to either say "I want to go to 11:30 PM EST in this thread and read from there" or "skip to the first post from this morning."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CPL593H posted:

If you're linking and not embedding the video all you have to do is click the share button on youtube and it lets you time stamp the link.

Sorry, not links, of course, embedding. Hence the mention of the video tag.

This is what a timestamped youtube link looks like.
code:
https://youtu.be/3aDcLu1gC8w?t=2
If I just paste it to the reply box on SA, it comes out like this:
code:
[video type="youtube"]3aDcLu1gC8w[/video]
Whereas I want it to be like this:
code:
[video type="youtube" start="2"]3aDcLu1gC8w[/video]

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tricky Ed posted:

I like this idea, but if that can't be done I would like an easier way to get a link to a specific post so I can bookmark it myself in my browser.

There is literally a '#' button for that under your avatar.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Paladinus posted:

Sorry, not links, of course, embedding. Hence the mention of the video tag.

This is what a timestamped youtube link looks like.
code:
https://youtu.be/3aDcLu1gC8w?t=2
If I just paste it to the reply box on SA, it comes out like this:
code:
[video type="youtube"]3aDcLu1gC8w[/video]
Whereas I want it to be like this:
code:
[video type="youtube" start="2"]3aDcLu1gC8w[/video]
Yeah, the parser is so old school that it literally pre-dates the ability to watch videos on youtube starting at a specific time (not sarcastic here)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lowtax posted:

Yeah, the parser is so old school that it literally pre-dates the ability to watch videos on youtube starting at a specific time (not sarcastic here)

Come to think of it, and this has definitely been mentioned, it also predates mobile youtube, and that's why I keep seeing so many links to videos instead of embeds.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
could there be a profile option to turn off twitter embeds. it's jarring sometimes reading a bunch of Good Something Awful Posts(tm) and then suddenly theres some insane twitter lunatic's mad ramblings

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Perhaps a "File Lawsuit" button next to Report and Quote so that you can quickly process legal papers against a poster for a post you do not like/agree with.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Or a silent rave forum, where everyone can only see their own posts, but there are other posts there you just cant see them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lowtax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01X98WDGepc&t=98s

It works for me! Make sure you paste with Ctrl-V.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You can also specify a resolution for youtube embeds, if you want

Here's one idea: make bookmarks inherit the css of the forum they belong to, so if I have some byobs and some gbses in you could easily tell. This also would show you super easily that your fave thread was gassed or gold mined

Also maybe some new extra csses for sub forums if they want them. It's fine to be mostly grey but it'd be fun to punch it up a notch with a few little touches

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Lowtax posted:

I am not, but that's another thing I need to get my stupid rear end on; either make it the official app and link to it when you try to browse via phone, or do a lovely, half-assed job of serving a bastardized jquery version of the forums to mobile. The thing is, when I last asked, people were saying mobile wasn't a big deal and shouldn't be a priority. Granted that probably was six decades ago, but still!
If you do end up making a mobile version, please make mobile optional and easy to opt out. The regular desktop version is great on my phone, so I don't want to change it, and I also don't want to have to hit "request desktop version" every 30 minutes

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
I use the awful app and its fantastic. Only downside is I can't post threads on it. Inb4 "I thought you said downside"

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Delete GIP

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Perhaps an inventory system, and a way to accrue magical artifacts through posting and reading

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

JakeP posted:

Perhaps an inventory system, and a way to accrue magical artifacts through posting and reading

this

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Implement Posting Points that you can spend on lootboxes that give you a dopamine rush.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

Implement Posting Points that you can spend on lootboxes that give you a dopamine rush.

This could be what saves the forums.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Let me see who's block lists I'm on. I ain't even mad, it'll just amuse me for a minute.

(Someone quote this in case Lotax has me blocked)

vvv :respek: vvv

Pneub fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 24, 2019

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy

Pneub posted:

Let me see who's block lists I'm on. I ain't even mad, it'll just amuse me for a minute.

(Someone quote this in case Lotax has me blocked)

Got your back bro

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Sort of a larger issue, but it seems like donations and your patreon have been a better source of income lately than new registrations. (I may be entirely wrong about that.) instead of charging 10bux to register, would it be possible to have a limited invite system where users could invite a few friends for free? Paired with yearly fund drives it might be a good way to keep the population fresh and large enough to keep this place going while also maintaining SA's sense of exclusivity.

I'm making a lot of assumptions here though

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

I know you can use HTML tags but most forums have an easier way to do it, like just choose the text and you can embed the link to it. Having to write the code is an inconvenience.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Make it easier to upload pics, please, sir.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Expand the dimension limits on smilies a bit so that we can at least make new variants of existing ones.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Bring back the mmo roulette.

https://www.somethingawful.com/mmo-roulette/endlessforest/1/

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Tricky Ed posted:

Another idea I've wanted (I don't think this is actually possible) would be some way to find what was happening in a thread at a particular timestamp. Some of the real fast-moving threads (politics or sports) are tough to keep up with and it'd be nice to either say "I want to go to 11:30 PM EST in this thread and read from there" or "skip to the first post from this morning."

That probably is possible (not necessarily easy) since the database does store the timestamp of a post.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Farrier Theaks posted:

Sort of a larger issue, but it seems like donations and your patreon have been a better source of income lately than new registrations. (I may be entirely wrong about that.) instead of charging 10bux to register, would it be possible to have a limited invite system where users could invite a few friends for free? Paired with yearly fund drives it might be a good way to keep the population fresh and large enough to keep this place going while also maintaining SA's sense of exclusivity.

A few friends? I'm 500 lbs and live with my parents and they live with their parents. Leave me alone!!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Charles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01X98WDGepc&t=98s

It works for me! Make sure you paste with Ctrl-V.

Are you sure you're not using some type of browser extension? Because for me it doesn't work.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

JakeP posted:

No joke, I was going to add completely arbitrary and useless RPG elements to the forums that would do nothing but cost people money or confuse them.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Make it so avatar history is stored and you can scroll through with < > buttons.
Then make it so IKs etc. can sticky particularly good avatars and redtexts so they'd appear in a column below the latest one.
This would preserve sweet burns for posterity, make purchasing avs for other people more worth it since they can't get totally wiped immediately, and best of all make it easier to tell who the gently caress is who when people change names and avs.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Farrier Theaks posted:

Lord no, the paywall is there to keep out people who do not value their accounts, and the easiest way to put an actual value on an account is financially. Free invites would be asking for folks getting throwaway accounts and just making GBS threads up the joint because they give no gently caress if they're banned, and why should they? Why would they bother even trying to abide by the rules? They don't care if they're banned, they're not losing anything.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Paladinus posted:

Are you sure you're not using some type of browser extension? Because for me it doesn't work.

Yes. I'm using Microsoft Edge, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Lowtax posted:

Lord no, the paywall is there to keep out people who do not value their accounts, and the easiest way to put an actual value on an account is financially. Free invites would be asking for folks getting throwaway accounts and just making GBS threads up the joint because they give no gently caress if they're banned, and why should they? Why would they bother even trying to abide by the rules? They don't care if they're banned, they're not losing anything.

Fair enough :tipshat: