Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

I still have no idea what you're supposed to do in the Lakeview games.

Die repeatedly in abject confusion, if my experience is any indication.

Nah in all seriousness they're kind of just horror movie sandbox simulators, weird poo poo happens when you do random things, and in theory you're supposed to stop one or more killers that appear over time, but the game is (intentionally) a bit obtuse when it comes to figuring out how to do that. It's the kind of game that feels like panicked flailing for a while, then you start to figure out how things work, and eventually you might get halfway to winning and the game starts to click.

Or it doesn't, and you just find more and more ridiculous ways to kill off your characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Crabtree posted:

Just found out the latest Lakeview game is a murder harvest moon like. I've always wondered if someone could try to pull a harvester with Stardew Aesthetics and choices, and the closest we've gotten is Graveyard Keeper or Gleaner Heights.

What was the deal with Gleaner Heights? It was supposed to be spooky or something but I never heard how or anything at all about it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's 65 on Metacritic, so I guess there's a reason for that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I have read one (1) review of Gleaner and it seems like the horror stuff was good but the farming was bad. https://holdtoreset.com/gleaner-heights-review-a-dark-take-on-farming-that-doesnt-quite-hit-its-mark/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Mh, that review makes me think of many of the flaws I think the retro genre as a whole suffers from. A very common issue I have with games of this type is that they are too faithful. They pick a classic game and reproduce the mechanics and feel of it down to the smallest detail - but by way of that they also imitate the flaws, because it's often a very uncritical copy and paste. Reprisal Universe is a really, really faithful Populous clone (the original God Sim, for those who don't know it) that makes a number of mechanical improvements, but also outright copied the original interface... which was awful and made the original game nearly unplayable even when it was new, very nearly exactly 30 years ago now.

Sounds like Gleaner Heights is suffering from some of that in its thoughtless imitation of classic Harvest Moon gameplay - which isn't bad gameplay, but if you want to play a farming game in the year 2019, you would rather pick basically anything else.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 22, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is Observation that game that got super mad about Alien Isolation because they thought it was ripping off their style that they ripped off from a 40 year old movie?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Would be weird because Observation is almost five years newer and some people from the old Alien: Isolation team actually worked on it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Would be weird because Observation is almost five years newer and some people from the old Alien: Isolation team actually worked on it.

There was definitely a game that predated Isolation that was going for the same aesthetic onboard a creepy derelict spaceship with evil androids. Something new would pop up every year but nothing ever came from it.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

That game was Routine, I believe.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pour one out for Routine.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I remember Routine really starting up the hype around Steam Greenlight, too. Fitting I suppose that it shouldn't be finished.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The weird thing is it had some established names attached to it for a while, too. I remember Mick Gordon was supposed to be the audio director for it. Which maybe the timing on that contributed a few delays.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mick is the Bethesda house audio guy now, right? I know he’s attached to nuPrey and Doom16

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh hey, apparently I've heard quite a lot of the guy's work, going by his portfolio on Wikipedia. He even worked on Destroy All Humans 2. Fun game. He has also worked on a lot of random stuff like DS shovelware, though, so it's probably not surprising to see him pop up in unexpected places.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bogart posted:

Mick is the Bethesda house audio guy now, right? I know he’s attached to nuPrey and Doom16

Bethesda has a pretty big audio team but ironically I don't think he's officially on it. He composed music (no sound design/implementation, I think) for both of those and (at least lately) composers tend to remain free agents even if they mostly work with the same companies. But yeah, he also did music for the new Wolfenstein games, and those were published by Bethesda, so he's got a good relationship with them. Mick's a shockingly talented and very generous person, he spent way too long talking to me when I was starting out in game audio. Definitely one of those sorts of people that thinks about audio and interactivity in a different way than anybody else I've met. If you have any interest at all in game audio and interactive scoring, you owe it to yourself to track down some of his GDC talks. The ones on Killer Instinct and Doom16 are great, the latter especially so if you're a guitar pedal geek.

And tbh a lot of composers who have come up in the last ten years or so have worked on at least some shovelware, I've done a decent amount myself, because they may be poo poo but they usually pay pretty well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

And tbh a lot of composers who have come up in the last ten years or so have worked on at least some shovelware, I've done a decent amount myself, because they may be poo poo but they usually pay pretty well.
Wasn't supposed to be an insult. I figured it's like being an art student: nobody really likes to do it, but drawing commissioned art of some dude's fursona pays the bills.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
While I don't want people to kill themselves making another Cuphead, can you make a horror game that feels like a Max Fleischer toon where the monster, chase and whole deal is like a giant music video? Like a trippy musical nightmare?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pToFqiCkSPQ

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nice and I just picked up a Rift S, is it really VR versions of the whole series? That's pretty crazy.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
Pathologic 2 is officially out on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/505230/Pathologic_2/

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Just play Bendy and the Ink Machine with a genre I'm told is called "Acid Circus Music" streaming in the background.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bendy and the Ink Machine is kind of terrible, tho.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

not relevant to the game making part, but I will take an excuse to post Ghost of Stephen Foster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sxFyu_U2go

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cardiovorax posted:

Bendy and the Ink Machine is kind of terrible, tho.

Isn't that the horror of it all though?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Bendy was incredibly part of that era of indie horror games that tried to ape the mysterious story stuff from FNAF while forgetting you need to have an actual story behind the mysteriousness for people to give a poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for all its bad rep, fnaf was really tightly developed from entry to entry

i was expecting to cringe when it implemented voice acting but sister location pulled it off with flying colors and was hysterically funny in places to boot

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I get poo poo for this all the time but I consider FNAF 1 to be one of the best horror games ever made. It's extremely simple and that works massively in its favor.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

I don't think it's a hot take to say FNAF is good. The series gets undue criticism because people associate it with youtube screamers and children, but Scott Cawthon puts genuine love and craft into each entry and clearly tries to experiment with new mechanics every time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I got Lakeview Cabin Collection since it's a buck and this game is cool as hell lol. I'm too old and lazy to figure out all the puzzles and meta poo poo but as a goofy emergent horror movie simulator it works great -- I'll probably never "beat it" but it's absolutely a hoot to gently caress around with and try poo poo out

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

goferchan posted:

I got Lakeview Cabin Collection since it's a buck and this game is cool as hell lol. I'm too old and lazy to figure out all the puzzles and meta poo poo but as a goofy emergent horror movie simulator it works great -- I'll probably never "beat it" but it's absolutely a hoot to gently caress around with and try poo poo out

Have fun figuring out what to do in the third game :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I just remembered the FNAF PSVR game comes out in four days and uh

I'm suddenly feeling a lot less brave than I was before :saddowns:

Losing my poo poo laughing at this one though. "Hey man we made pizza pockets do you want some"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FirstAidKite posted:

Have fun figuring out what to do in the third game :v:

Lol I skimmed a guide for that one and it sounds insane. I was figuring out the "die in different way" thing but the other 2/3rds of the solution are nuts

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Glukeose posted:

I don't think it's a hot take to say FNAF is good. The series gets undue criticism because people associate it with youtube screamers and children, but Scott Cawthon puts genuine love and craft into each entry and clearly tries to experiment with new mechanics every time.
I mean, there's probably a reason why the guy has apparently made a cool five-ish million sales across all of his games just on Steam alone, according to SteamSpy anyway.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Danaru posted:

Bendy was incredibly part of that era of indie horror games that tried to ape the mysterious story stuff from FNAF while forgetting you need to have an actual story behind the mysteriousness for people to give a poo poo.

I will give that Bendy had a lot more effort and polish put into it than your other I wanna be the Fnaf after Fnaf. It's mediocre, but it's a lot more effort than say your Dead Realm or Strange Night. Doesn't really save it if you're not its intended audience, of course.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

goferchan posted:

Lol I skimmed a guide for that one and it sounds insane. I was figuring out the "die in different way" thing but the other 2/3rds of the solution are nuts

I just remember how one of the puzzles you are required to solve to finish the game is that you need to summon a demon and you do so by, among other things, making the brother character and sister character get naked and gently caress in bed,

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Lakeview is bananas.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

I just remember how one of the puzzles you are required to solve to finish the game is that you need to summon a demon and you do so by, among other things, making the brother character and sister character get naked and gently caress in bed,

Ah the fire emblem method

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Makes sense, kinda? It's your standard Rosemary's Baby style black mass thing, I guess. In European folklore and superstition, immoral acts and sexual perversity for their own sake were believed to be an intrinsic part of devil worship and witches' sabbaths since at least the Early Middle Ages, if not even earlier. A lot of 60s/70s "Satanic horror" panders to that idea.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Grapplejack posted:

I get poo poo for this all the time but I consider FNAF 1 to be one of the best horror games ever made. It's extremely simple and that works massively in its favor.

You know, I'm not sure I'd disagree with this. It's SUCH an effective game and the best part is that you have to play by it's rules. There's no way to cheat the system by exploiting AI or becoming overly powerful, there's nothing you can do to make the things less tense. For instance, Alien: Isolation is a favorite of mine and the tension always gets my palm sweaty but with enough supplies I can lessen that tension and once I get the Flamethrower I feel like a badass because I just have to keep it filled up. FNAF doesn't have anything like that, and since the games only get harder it's just telling you "Do what you just did, but better and faster."

It impresses me how Cawthon went from making bible thumping games/films for children to teach the love of Jesus to pants making GBS threads horror titles because his characters and animations were unnerving. Not only that, but the gameplay elements change so drastically from game to game without feeling like a rehash from what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

FirstAidKite posted:

If something's gonna summon a demon, that'd do it.