Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Viscous Soda posted:

What always bugged me about the raids is that your defenses don't matter once a raid occurred.

Before you arrive attacking forces will walk right through the targeting area of turrets, solid walls and buildings; making your entire defense set-up mostly pointless. So, when you arrive you discover that the raiders have phased straight though a wall of solid concrete, past all the outward facing turrets that could kill them in half a second, and are now running around in the unprotected center of the settlement, where you now have to manually kill them in a swirling chaotic mass of settlers and raiders.

It just makes planing defenses kind of a downer when you realize that other then the number it gives you, nothing else really matters.

Does this mean it was best to have your turrets face inward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TheMaestroso posted:

Does this mean it was best to have your turrets face inward?
According to posts I've been able to find, it basically doesn't matter. Raiders will spawn from predetermined spawn-points, which will typically be inside your defenses if you try to do the sensible thing and build firing lanes and a perimeter, but at the same time, turrets also have a 360° arc of fire - they can turn in any direction, including surprisingly far up and down. So long as you scatter them around, the direction of placement is meaningless, but overlapping lines of fire etc. are still a good idea because while raiders are apparently shapeshifting ghosts, bullets still do not pass through buildings.

On the plus side, raiders cannot actually kill settlers, at least while you are present.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

According to posts I've been able to find, it basically doesn't matter. Raiders will spawn from predetermined spawn-points, which will typically be inside your defenses if you try to do the sensible thing and build firing lanes and a perimeter, but at the same time, turrets also have a 360° arc of fire - they can turn in any direction, including surprisingly far up and down. So long as you scatter them around, the direction of placement is meaningless, but overlapping lines of fire etc. are still a good idea because while raiders are apparently shapeshifting ghosts, bullets still do not pass through buildings.

On the plus side, raiders cannot actually kill settlers, at least while you are present.
This would all be so much easier if they just made it so all the raider spawn points were OUTSIDE the buildable area

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It would've been.

On the other hand, Bethesda.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

someone post a video of the turrets glitching or something, please

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVaNNzX5ljA

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

World Famous W posted:

With, I think, the contraption workshop dlc was added a summing radio tower for the purpose of playing tower defense.

Settlement building was the only fun i really had looking back. I spent way to long building a trash sorting conveyed belt system that sole purpose was making ammo. Was fun. Too bad I had to play rest of game to get resources.

Edit: actually looking it up think that was a mod, so well
If you're gonna run mods then just get ones that give you 100k of everything at each settlement and build to your heart's content.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
https://twitter.com/Shitty_Future/status/1079472653373714432

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

In some ways, this was not the thing I expected albeit close to it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Just a few seconds but BOY is this a rollercoaster of emotions.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Definitely subverted my expectations based on the beginning.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Something in my 600+ mods fucks up this character's animations on my title screen and I keep getting it and laughing

Probably the glaives mod.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
oh so that's what the chosen look like

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Turns out it's short for "Chosen (for Spaceclown College)."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Regular Nintendo posted:

What were those for 3/nv?

For 3 raw, the combination of degradation meaning that weapons break over time (fine), degradation meaning that weapons are also less powerful over time (also fine), combined with giving the player a degraded laser pistol in the first shopping mall as a "taste of power" (fine) that handles like utter garbage and does less damage than a pistol because of those systems (bad).

For NV, the combination of a carry weight limit (fine) and also dumping all of the starting gear "options" into the player's inventory when they walk out the door (iffy) so that some people running low-strength builds actually end up overburdened until they dump the five outfits and equipment sets via the loving pip-boy inventory interface (bad).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

God the inventory UI in Fallout 3/NV was so bad

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zereth posted:

I agree but was it substantively different from 4

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Regular Nintendo posted:

I agree but was it substantively different from 4
... It... the...

I don't remember fallout 4 clearly enough to answer but I want to say it was slightly less awkward?

EDIT: Like I remember 3 and NV being real clunky and kinda unresponsive, in addition to having the tiny window to scroll and poo poo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zereth posted:

... It... the...

I don't remember fallout 4 clearly enough to answer but I want to say it was slightly less awkward?

EDIT: Like I remember 3 and NV being real clunky and kinda unresponsive, in addition to having the tiny window to scroll and poo poo

Its basically completely identical in 4.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zore posted:

Its basically completely identical in 4.

The only real difference I can remember is that 3 and NV had a dedicated section for keys, while 4 didn't.

So 4 was worse.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Zereth posted:

All of the inventory systems that are designed around you hauling around basically an entire house worth of poo poo are always going to be horrible. Grids forever.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

There was a mod that distributed the dlc armors and other gear into the leveled lists and it was always a must install for me. Also that mod that disables those obnoxious message boxes you get right outside doc's house.

Because immersion

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Somfin posted:

All of the inventory systems that are designed around you hauling around basically an entire house worth of poo poo are always going to be horrible. Grids forever.

I wouldn't call the fallout/TES Inventory system designed around hauling tons of stuff, they coexist (badly) but it's not adapted to it att all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hel posted:

I wouldn't call the fallout/TES Inventory system designed around hauling tons of stuff, they coexist (badly) but it's not adapted to it att all.
look I am going to take everything in the entire dungeon which is worth anything and you can't loving stop me

if it has even a theoretical use or can be sold for even one money I will take it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The FO/TES inventory system is designed around being easily navigable with a gamepad. Every other consideration has been taking a distant second place to this ever since Oblivion, and it's really not very likely to change anytime soon.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Hel posted:

If you haul too much around in Oblivion, your items will randomly vanish and reappear. The game will also freeze for several seconds when you open your inventory.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The SkyUI mod for Skyrim did wonders to improve the game.

It's one of those "cannot play the game without it" mods.

The vanilla inventory system was just so loving bad.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The SkyUI mod for Skyrim did wonders to improve the game.

It's one of those "cannot play the game without it" mods.

The vanilla inventory system was just so loving bad.

Fun fact: The UI is made in Flash. Yes, that Flash.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Double Punctuation posted:

:stonklol:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cardiovorax posted:

The FO/TES inventory system is designed around being easily navigable with a gamepad. Every other consideration has been taking a distant second place to this ever since Oblivion, and it's really not very likely to change anytime soon.

The inventory system is basically the same in FO1 which was strictly mouse+keyboard

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

The inventory system is basically the same in FO1 which was strictly mouse+keyboard
I guess that's true, but Oblivion is when Bethesda started using that particular design, which has been their games' standard UI ever since. Daggerfall and Morrowind worked completely differently - and, to be fair, they weren't necessarily better. Morrowind's UI in particular was kind of a mess, really.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Double Punctuation posted:

Not all that uncommon and still happens from time to time these days.

Thankfully it's uh, a bit more responsive than say, the Flash UI in Secret World.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

look I am going to take everything in the entire dungeon which is worth anything and you can't loving stop me

if it has even a theoretical use or can be sold for even one money I will take it

I've always felt that this was one of the biggest problems with this category of game. Like, clearly you have to have a limited amount of stuff you can carry because there's so much stuff in the game and it would be completely immersion-breaking for you to literally just grab every movable object and shove it into your inventory. And clearly there should be people interested in buying the cool stuff you find while out adventuring. And money is useful! We built our society around accumulating the stuff!

But as a consequence, players turn into crazy pack-rat adventurers. Two seconds after you finish unloading gear onto a vendor, your pack is full, and you spend the remaining time until the next vendor constantly dropping slightly-less-value-dense objects in favor of more-dense objects. Half the game is spent staring at your inventory and doing (estimated value) / (weight of object) calculations.

Some games have taken some steps towards addressing this. Torchlight lets you offload loot to town without actually going to town by sending your pet on a shopping trip (and you have a gratuitously huge inventory in that game anyway). ToME similarly lets you convert unwanted loot into gold at regular intervals. Angband just straight-up doesn't let you sell anything to vendors, and you get your money by finding actual money in the dungeon.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Unlimited inventory is best imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wish more games would tell you the total weight of your inventory so you could remind yourself that you're running and jumping all over the place with 350 pounds of lances in your backpack.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lord Lambeth posted:

There was a mod that distributed the dlc armors and other gear into the leveled lists and it was always a must install for me. Also that mod that disables those obnoxious message boxes you get right outside doc's house.

Because immersion

The GOTY edition of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion doesn't have all the DLC, because they thought all those pop-ups after leaving the prison (basically the tutorial) would be too confusing. They could have included manual installers on the disc, so I think it was really them being greedy fucks. IT SAID GAME OF THE YEAR SO I EXPECT MY loving HORSE ARMOUR, TODD.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

haveblue posted:

I wish more games would tell you the total weight of your inventory so you could remind yourself that you're running and jumping all over the place with 350 pounds of lances in your backpack.
Yeah and also make it a high score.

I wandered the frozen north, and now I have 500 pounds of wooden cups. A true measure of heroism.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've always felt that this was one of the biggest problems with this category of game. Like, clearly you have to have a limited amount of stuff you can carry because there's so much stuff in the game and it would be completely immersion-breaking for you to literally just grab every movable object and shove it into your inventory. And clearly there should be people interested in buying the cool stuff you find while out adventuring. And money is useful! We built our society around accumulating the stuff!

But as a consequence, players turn into crazy pack-rat adventurers. Two seconds after you finish unloading gear onto a vendor, your pack is full, and you spend the remaining time until the next vendor constantly dropping slightly-less-value-dense objects in favor of more-dense objects. Half the game is spent staring at your inventory and doing (estimated value) / (weight of object) calculations.

For Bethesday games I've always just no picked up anything that didn't have a 10 to 1 value to weight ratio, and it worked fine for me. I've never been able to get into the head of someone who needs to loot all the buckets from a dungeon.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

For Bethesday games I've always just no picked up anything that didn't have a 10 to 1 value to weight ratio, and it worked fine for me. I've never been able to get into the head of someone who needs to loot all the buckets from a dungeon.

Undiagnosed cleptomania and hoarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I didn't understand it until I played Fallout 4, where stealing everything that isn't nailed down is much more important than most games.