Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Where the gently caress is Sigil!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mine shipped today! I've got tracking info that says so! In 1 to 2 weeks John Romero is gonna make me his biscuits like it's 1997 or 8 all over again!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My estimated delivery in on the 27th but that's Memorial Day so I kind of doubt it.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

treat posted:

Is the life leech fixed? I've been holding off with Ep 4 because of how wimpy the primary fire was.

The secondary fire, at least on the GOG version at the moment, has a habit of going ear-splittingly nuts though. I generally dropped it in the vicinity of Mother Spiders, then wandered off to do something else until I heard the scream.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Rocket Pan posted:

If a crash log is generated, it'll be in the games install folder (called anuket_x64.dmp). Aside from that, can you reproduce the crash consistently?

Still no log under that name, but I went through the level once more and it let me finish it and the second level properly.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Two Owls posted:

The secondary fire, at least on the GOG version at the moment, has a habit of going ear-splittingly nuts though. I generally dropped it in the vicinity of Mother Spiders, then wandered off to do something else until I heard the scream.

The fire rate would speed up after like 20 seconds in the original too but it goes absolutely nuts in FS. It seems to do the same amount of damage over time, though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Have any of the Fresh Supply updates fixed E1M3 of Death Wish? If fixing it isn't feasible I could probably noclip past the point where things get stuck, but I'd prefer to beat it "for real".

I read somewhere that the modmaker is working on fixing it, but you can also use an older version of Death Wish that doesen't have the problem.

Mierenneuker posted:

Also, a second confirmation that getting out of the water in the final area of Crystal Lake can bug out.

Yup, had this happen to me also. Seems like only part of the ledge is actually solid; you can accidentally noclip through the vast majority of it and gently caress up your game.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yup, had this happen to me also. Seems like only part of the ledge is actually solid; you can accidentally noclip through the vast majority of it and gently caress up your game.

Yeah, this is actually a DOS bug. We made a maphack (a text definition file that allows us to make changes to maps without physically editing them) to fix the issue which is in the current beta.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Speaking of that ledge (i'm guessing you're talking about the one where you need to get out of a pool onto a submerged ledge): How did the build engine handle water you could swim in but was shallow enough to stand on like that ledge? Are you in the underwater sector or the above water sector?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I read somewhere that the modmaker is working on fixing it, but you can also use an older version of Death Wish that doesen't have the problem.

Yeah, there was a reply by the creator, on ModDB earlier this week.

quote:

There are still several things FS hasn't fixed to make everything in DW DOS-accurate, but the Night Dive team is still tinkering with issues to get everything to work. I'm going to play through using FS sometime this week then send them a bug list. GDX was getting a lot of errors when it first came out, too. I'm not aware of any nBlood problems, but that came out a while after GDX.

I have also gotten the cutscenes to work in FS by converting to another format, so I will include those in a future update.

So I'm just going to wait for an eventual post in this thread saying it has been updated before playing it :)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
  • Fabien Sanglard's Game Engine Black Books for the code behind Wolfenstein 3D and Doom have been updated with errata fixes and additional details, with pay-what-you-want 300dpi PDF downloads for the ebook-minded.
  • Historical BUILD Engine source code dumps, for weirdoes making source ports of older games.
  • Chex Quest 3 - the extended update of the original cereal promotion game mode thing by one of the original developers - has been given an official endorsement by General Mills, for some reason. To mark the occasion, they produced a short documentary about the creation of the original.
  • Everyone's favorite piece of Super Mario 64 speedrunning silliness, The Green Demon Challenge, has been recreated for GZDoom and Quake 1.
  • QuakeEd, the level editor Id used for Quake 1, has been ported from NeXTSTEP to MacOS for those of you interested in such historical tools, but not interested enough to spin up a VM and mess around with decades old compilers.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Far Cry 1 alpha and pre-production art:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/brp/features/exploring-development-of-far-cry-1-part-5

GUI posted:

I played through Alpha Prime nearly a decade ago and I was surprised by all of the voice acting and the way the dialogue was structured. Still not sure if it was awful or incredible.

The soundtrack was neat though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGOnYUrBW-Q

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 24, 2019

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
I added path-traced bounce lighting and ambient occlusion to Half-Life using a Reshade shader written by a smarty man.

https://i.imgur.com/bbn2Dj5.mp4

It's a lot of fun revisiting older 3D games this way.

EDIT: Imgur destroyed the video pretty badly. A better copy is here.

Riflen fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 24, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Fresh Supply's Made to Order options: which one is damage received by the player and which one is damage dealt by the player? "Enemy damage scale" "Player damage scale" aren't specific enough. Or maybe I'm just pants on head stupid.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Phrased without additional words like that I would assume it is “damage dealt by X” instead of “impact of damage received”. Not at home right now or I would test it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Is there a way to play DOOM on an Android phone?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Songbearer posted:

Is there a way to play DOOM on an Android phone?
Delta Touch bundles together multiple source ports with a front-end and touch controls for your pleasure.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Riflen posted:

I added path-traced bounce lighting and ambient occlusion to Half-Life using a Reshade shader written by a smarty man.

This is neat, how does it look in motion? I saw that digital foundry video using the same thing in Crysis and it didn't look too great imo

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

For a long time I wrote off AO as something I'd never notice while actually playing, but I've been using it for the past year or so in GZDoom and it's really great how much it enhances contrast between walls even when dealing with simple level geometry.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

For a long time I wrote off AO as something I'd never notice while actually playing, but I've been using it for the past year or so in GZDoom and it's really great how much it enhances contrast between walls even when dealing with simple level geometry.

Yeah, it works really well in the Night Dive remasters as well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anisotropic Filtering, Anti Aliasing, and Vsync are the 3 magic bullets I can no longer play without. They make every game look super crisp and smooth. Ambient Occlusion is also something I'll add to any game that will support it. I have yet to see a game that doesn't look better with it enabled.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Anisotropic Filtering, Anti Aliasing, and Vsync are the 3 magic bullets I can no longer play without. They make every game look super crisp and smooth. Ambient Occlusion is also something I'll add to any game that will support it. I have yet to see a game that doesn't look better with it enabled.

It depends on the AO, earlier implementations look splotchy and disappear near the edges of the screen in a really obvious way.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Looks like AMID EVIL is getting real close to being officially released, and they also mentioned that they've gone back into at least one previous episode (Episode 3) and added creepy looking new enemies and redesigned a fair amount of content:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/673130/announcements/detail/2894038190189035867

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

HolyKrap posted:

This is neat, how does it look in motion? I saw that digital foundry video using the same thing in Crysis and it didn't look too great imo

It looks fine, especially the more trivial the game is to run. I saw the same DF videos. In Crysis, because of the game's visual design you really only get to notice the AO effect. In my opinon you often get much more noticable improvements from the bounce lighting in interior spaces. The shader is highly configurable and they showed that in the HL2 video by Richard having garbage settings and the AO looking awful.
In general if you have low frames-per-second, then objects in motion will begin to ghost. I'd say you really need to be able to hold 60 fps for a fast action game.
It's in alpha state at the moment and the creator does intend to release it when it's ready. It does need a lot of grunt, especially if you turn off the single-bounce restriction. It's definitely something for the nerdy fiddlers atm. Looks great though. Here's Halo CE with some screen-space reflections added and this is the shader running on a scene from Wolfenstein: The New Order.

https://streamable.com/0ivfk

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Riflen posted:

It looks fine, especially the more trivial the game is to run. I saw the same DF videos. In Crysis, because of the game's visual design you really only get to notice the AO effect. In my opinon you often get much more noticable improvements from the bounce lighting in interior spaces. The shader is highly configurable and they showed that in the HL2 video by Richard having garbage settings and the AO looking awful.
In general if you have low frames-per-second, then objects in motion will begin to ghost. I'd say you really need to be able to hold 60 fps for a fast action game.
It's in alpha state at the moment and the creator does intend to release it when it's ready. It does need a lot of grunt, especially if you turn off the single-bounce restriction. It's definitely something for the nerdy fiddlers atm. Looks great though. Here's Halo CE with some screen-space reflections added and this is the shader running on a scene from Wolfenstein: The New Order.

https://streamable.com/0ivfk

I am salivating looking at that Halo screenshot

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished Doom's mod/megaWad Eviternity/. In a shocking turn of events (not really), it was an excellent megaWad to play. Thanks to being divided in six chapters, it has tons of level variety. Each one has a theme, from the stone & moss medieval feel, to a refined techbase, to water themed levels, winter levels and of course, Hell levels and Heaven levels.
Most of the levels are actually kind of... compact? (in comparison with how crazy Doom wads can be now), with pieces than open up slowly and known locations connect in unexpected ways. There are some exceptions, there are a few levels that are more sprawling and crazy, and they serve as a nice change of pace. The difficulty level is well balanced, HMP feels as it should, UV is for veterans, etc, it doesn't go crazy with the difficulty like other doom mappers. Something I liked of the mod is a well balanced use of the enemies, without abuse of the tougher monsters (in fact in some of the coolest levels the low-mid level monsters are the star of the show). There are times where they will throw you 20 barons and 20 reveneants but they feel appropriately as 'peaks between valleys', in the overall enemy distribution. Speaking of enemies, it also has a few extra enemies, like a cacodemon that can move with bursts of speed and fire extra fireballs, a metallic Baron with both heavy machine gun and rocket launcher that fees like a mini Cyberdemon or a new version of the pinkies, with extra speed and hp.
Graphically, it uses its own pack of new textures that gives it a colder tone, and a smoother, slightly more painterly look (it reminds me a bit to BTSX), and the performance overall is good except in two specific levels (where is clearly so different than the rest of the megaWAD that I wonder how they didn't fix it).

But there's more. I played it with Final Doomer weapon pack, recommended here. I liked this mod a lot, it has 5 new weapon loadouts, and unlike other weapon mods, I feel they are worth playing with because they have both a new identity (instead of being just skinned versions of the vanilla weapons) with different balance, ammo limits, etc, while still maintaining a consistent internal balance, and enough polish and good production values. It's ideal to play with Eviternity as you can use a weapon pack per episode. Here it's a reviewe:

PLUTONIA
Power Saw,Melee,Revolver,Scoped Shotgun,Super Shotgun,Machinegun,Grenade Launcher,Heavy Machinegun,Quantum Accelerator

Perhaps one of the most conventional loadouts, the changes are small here. The SS has more pellets than vanilla but it's more inaccurate than usual, the HMG is a beast that replaces the plasma gun but it will lose accuracy after a pair of seconds of continued fire, and finally the Grenade Launcher is the star of the show, it's a RL whose projectile flies like a rocket but bounces and falls like a grenade once it hits something that isn't an enemy (like a wall), and it has a bigger than usual AoE. Very nice against big groups of enemies and you can bounce it around walls. For the rest, it's a pretty traditional loadout, feeling a bit samey in how it has two machineguns.

EVILUTION
Halderman Device,Melee,Prototype Pistol,Tactical Shotgun,Burst Shotgun,Dual Machine Pistols,Missile Launcher,Maser,Incursion Annihilator

A nice balance between familiarity and some originality. The chainsaw is replaced but an utility device, it has three modes, in each you hold the fire button to gain an effect: hazard protection, light mode and defense mode (you seem to receive 3-4 times less damage than usual). The SS is replaced by a delicious auto shotgun with 4-round cartridges, the chaingun is replaced with akimbo uzis which have worse range but higher RoF and slighter higher DPS, the missile launcher has a nice RoF but it can be hard to aim because the rockets has a delay fuse to activate (like a RL javelin), the Maser is a very similar to PG but with a continuous beam with instant travel, and finally the BFG replacement stands out to have a much much shorter range than normal but it can fire in 'auto' mode, cleaning up hordes like there is no tomorrow.
This loadout is pretty good thanks to the weapon feel, the mainstay weapons like the auto shotgun and the uzis feel very nice, and even they are traditional FPS weapons, they are a good novelty in Doom.

ANCIENT ALIENS
Stasis Bow,Melee,Ancient Pistol,Ancient Shotgun,Hybrid Shotgun,Ancient AK,Photon Scepter,Alien Elite Weapon,Illuminator

Even more originality with the theme of alien weapons here. Again the chainsaw replacement is pretty new, it's a energy bow that paralyzes enemies for two seconds. Nice against big enemies to give you a bit of breathing room, and even using them as cover. The theme on most human weapons (pistol, shotgun, AR) are being old and rusty, leftover weapons you could find. The SS is a monstrosity of hybrid alien weapon that shots pellets in a wide horizontal line (so less damage against individual enemies unless you are super close, but can hit 3 enemies together).The RL is replaced by the Photon Scepter, an alien weapon that shoots waves of light with a trick: they start being less damaging than the normal RL but will do more damage (up to a cap?) the farther they travel, and it doesn't cause damage to the player. he PG is a weird tentacled thing that starts firing projectiles in diagonal until it transform into a continuous rainbow ray of death, and the BFG needs more time to power up and consumes a good amount of ammo... in exchange of delivering a stream of death instead of a single explosion burst.

JAPANESE COMMUNITY PROJECT
NRG Katana,Katana,Silenced Pistol,Neutron Pulser,Neutron Cascader,Burst Needler,Prism Cannon,Ofuda Caster,Onmyou Devastator

Weeabo edition. The katana can be used in normal meele weapon mode, or in sheathed mode, where each strike as it comes from the sheath does a high amount of damage (and in theory it's also a stealth weapon and won't warn monsters). Both shotguns are very nice, with a distinctive feeling, and gameplay wise they fire an energy projectile, so they aren't hitscan weapons like normal shotguns but in exchange you can snipe more with them, as the projectiles will travel indefinitely. The MG is replaced by the Needler, with one of the key weapons of this loadout. Any hit of this weapon causes a speed and damage vulnerability debuff to the enemies (around 33% to both?) so you will use it a lot in combination with other weapons. In addition it fires first a burst, pauses, and then continues in auto mode, so it has a distinctive feel in combat too. The Prism cannon is a RL that shoots balls of sacred light, upon impact the light ball stays doing DoT for a while, which opens up new ways of using the weapon. They also don't damage the player, but light ball blinds them, with is a good twist on giving different pros and cons to the weapons, and the PG instakills enemies at 30% of less HP so it's excellent to finish up tough monsters.

BACK TO SATURN X
NanoCore,Power Fist,Charge Pistol,Arc Blaster,Machreaper,Pulse Rifle,Pulse Cannon,Plasma Vulcan,X-Spark Cannon

One of my favorite loadouts, combining great weapon feel with new mechanics. It starts with a Power Fist with good damage that can be charged up (for every more damage) as melee replacement. The Nanocore is a very special gadget, you use it (only once per map!) and it will boost your weapons (more damage, in some weapons with extra effects) for the rest of the level UNTIL you lose a % of your current HP. The pistol shot can be charge up for extra damage, the shotgun is a energy weapon similar to the JCP version but it also bounce off walls if it doesn't hit anyone and there are enemies close by, the SS is an impressive boomstick in sound and animation but the range is super short. The pulse rifle is an auto weapon where the first shot does x3 damage (only once every 30 seconds) and has a very sexy bolt action animation, and PG is a energy minigun which needs a spinup to start firing and the BFG leaves a sparkly damage field and does stupids amount of damage but only has 3 charges.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I'm hoping for an Eviternity weaponset for Final Doomer, then I'll play it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i started up eviternity with the ancient aliens weaponset and it's been pretty cool so far

also, does anyone actually have any real experience with hedon? i think i played a demo forever ago but i forget the details.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Riflen posted:

How well does it play with gl_overbright, I wonder? I mean, once you disable multitexturing so as to fix it in the first place, I guess. Or maybe this fixes the issues the lack of overbrights brings and thus renders that parameter redundant?

(To be clear, I'm talking about what's in this GIF; the blue lighting from above brightens the gray floor texture above 100% in Software mode, while it gets capped in OpenGL mode and, contrasted with the parts that weren't capped looking blue, looks yellow-ish as a result even though it's gray. This isn't necessarily the best place to witness this in effect, though; the hallway that transitions between the front desk map and the locker room map has an even more jarring example that I haven't taken images of. If this is Half-Life Source, however, disregard the question because overbrights work perfectly in that.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Joestar posted:

also, does anyone actually have any real experience with hedon? i think i played a demo forever ago but i forget the details.

The gameplay rewards exploration because sometimes stuff is well hidden and there are some puzzles, like in one map you need to find a rope and a bunch of planks so as to rebuild a bridge; weapons have alt-fires that are sometimes more useful or powerful than the regular use (the axe's alt-fire can one-shot most mooks, and can even splatter several of them if they're in a neat line, but then you've got to go pick up your axe again). The start is a slow burn which is mostly exploring and figuring stuff out, but fights ramp up in intensity quickly after, and you eventually get very fast-moving enemies with a lot of hit-points; bosses are damage sponges; in the last level you can get friendly NPCs to follow you and help you out.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNVo3VqjL0Q

My kazoo is augmented.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Riflen posted:

What other games have you tried it with? Ever since the Quake 2 videos, I've been a little curious how Quake 1 would look, but I doubt my computer could handle even fake ray-tracing (I assume you're using the one that they're using on Digital Foundry?).

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been playing a lot of Heretical Doom recently, going through various megawads like Sunder and Sunlust.

It feels nicely crafted with a huge plethora of weapon options that never feel outmoded or worthless, and it adds a nice spin to medieval map sets.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

catlord posted:

What other games have you tried it with? Ever since the Quake 2 videos, I've been a little curious how Quake 1 would look, but I doubt my computer could handle even fake ray-tracing (I assume you're using the one that they're using on Digital Foundry?).

Your computer can handle raytracing if you have an RTX card, and can barely handle raytracing if you have a GTX 1XXX. Older than that, don't bother trying.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Heretical Doom rips

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, guess I thought it was a simple port of Heretic's weapons into Doom but looking it up there's a lot more to it than that.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

skasion posted:

Heretical Doom rips

but does it tear

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

haveblue posted:

Your computer can handle raytracing if you have an RTX card, and can barely handle raytracing if you have a GTX 1XXX. Older than that, don't bother trying.

I have a GTX 1050, which if I remember right is just below the cut-off for GTX 1XXX cards that can use the official stuff. Isn't the minimum 1060?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I remembered something silly, for the longest time I thought IDKFA stood for ID Kick Fucking Ass. Explaining why it gave all the guns, and tried to understand what IDDQD could have stood for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Thyrork posted:

I remembered something silly, for the longest time I thought IDKFA stood for ID Kick Fucking Ass. Explaining why it gave all the guns, and tried to understand what IDDQD could have stood for.
I still remember that two of Descent’s cheats are gabbagabbahey and farmerjoe because my neighbor was singing a dumb song with them when he brought over the cheat printout