Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

His mom threw a lot of hot water on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Or maybe he didn't inherit that aspect of his father's quirk and got his mother's skin instead, which didn't afford him that resistance.

So then he burned off most of his skin using his powers.
I don't think this makes much sense in practice since inheriting quirks seems to be an all-or-nothing thing but the idea of only inheriting partial quirks is hilarious to me.

"My mom could talk to animals and my dad was a snake. Turns out they didn't mesh so now have I have fangs but no venom and I can only talk to reptiles."

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

"my dad was a snake."

Yeah but what was his quirk? :v:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Vonnie posted:

Yeah but what was his quirk? :v:
Hero Name: Daddy Issues
Quirk: INCONVENIENCE STORE - He can teleport from his "home" to any place that sells smokes, but once he uses it he can never go back to that "home!"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Quirk inheritance is pretty easy because of the Singularity concept which is a writing conceit for the children to get all the cool bits from their parents unless they're Todorokis who aren't Shoto.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Or Deku who should have pyrokinesis

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Or maybe he didn't inherit that aspect of his father's quirk and got his mother's skin instead, which didn't afford him that resistance.

So then he burned off most of his skin using his powers.

And then he got fire resistant skin grafts from nobody of note whatsoever.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Adder Moray posted:

And then he got fire resistant skin grafts from nobody of note whatsoever.

That's just miraculously the part of his skin that didn't burn away for some reason.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

That's just miraculously the part of his skin that didn't burn away for some reason.

It's literally sewn/stapled to his body.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
In a true twist, we learn it's the burned skin that's stapled to his body.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Ablative burn tissue armor. Genius!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Adder Moray posted:

It's literally sewn/stapled to his body.

Kids these days are up to all kinds of fashion styles, including attaching staples to your face so it looks like you have a skin graft.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't think this makes much sense in practice since inheriting quirks seems to be an all-or-nothing thing but the idea of only inheriting partial quirks is hilarious to me.

"My mom could talk to animals and my dad was a snake. Turns out they didn't mesh so now have I have fangs but no venom and I can only talk to reptiles."

I'm pretty sure partial quirk inheritance is why Tokoyami has a bird head. Which isn't considered (a functional/important) part of Dark Shadow but presumably one of his parents had a bird person quirk. Given what we've seen of the Todorokis (mixes of white and red hair) and what we know about Shouto (White and Red in equal amount) It's plausible that they've been getting various combinations of Fire and Ice that are not what Endeavour, who is an rear end, was looking for.

Add in Touya (Dabi?) having stronger fire but a body less suited for it and you get super burned up dude who hates heroes in general and Endeavour specifically for how Endeavour has been allowed to get away with abuse of his family for so long. Remember, even with Shouto and Endeavour having bodies more capable of handling heat the entire reason Endeavour wanted a child of equal fire and ice is that it would completely negate the danger of using his fire, which is that Endeavour likely burns himself if he goes too long or too hot. Much like how Shouto using only one side will eventually damage himself with that side's associated dangers (chilling/freezing, heating/burning).

All conjecture of course but I think different combinations of parental quirks are possible, and as Izuku shows you can get no quirks. Genetics are weird people.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

There's probably also cases where a kid ends up with a brand new quirk that's unrelated to their parent's quirks. Otherwise it would probably be a lot harder for Deku to get away with having a quirk unrelated to telekinesis and fire breath.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rhonne posted:

There's probably also cases where a kid ends up with a brand new quirk that's unrelated to their parent's quirks. Otherwise it would probably be a lot harder for Deku to get away with having a quirk unrelated to telekinesis and fire breath.

That’s explicitly the case with Eri, where it’s outright stated that her quirk doesn’t resemble her parents’ in any way and is a complete anomaly.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It hasn't been outright stated or confirmed one way or the other, but I took it as a given that Ochako's Quirk was also completely unrelated to her parents. She'd have been less eager to be able to use her zero-gravity powers to be a unique help with their construction business if they could do it themselves after all.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Dragonatrix posted:

It hasn't been outright stated or confirmed one way or the other, but I took it as a given that Ochako's Quirk was also completely unrelated to her parents. She'd have been less eager to be able to use her zero-gravity powers to be a unique help with their construction business if they could do it themselves after all.

Maybe it's just gravity tricks that aren't as relevant to construction. Like hypergravity, which you generally don't want applied to buildings.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Reading through the Manga again. When all might discusses updating midoriya's quirk registry, he mentions they allow for one or two updates as people get older. I'm curious what all mights registry says and also if midoriya will raise eyebrows once he adds completely new powers to his.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Reading through the Manga again. When all might discusses updating midoriya's quirk registry, he mentions they allow for one or two updates as people get older. I'm curious what all mights registry says and also if midoriya will raise eyebrows once he adds completely new powers to his.

"What do you mean you discovered ANOTHER ability of your quirk!? This is the fourth time!"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, it's not like they're going to tell him, "no, gently caress off, we're not updating your registry file".

They'll make him demonstrate it, and he'll prove it, and that'll be that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

His quirk is registered as "Super Power", which is just vague enough that he could probably get away with anything.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I want Deku's nebulous supply of superpowers to reach the ridiculous Superman Golden Era level, where he'd break out a new power at the drop of a hat every time the writers got stuck.

(Some of these got retcon'd as 'Superman has superhumanly-fine control over his muscles, so he can, like, contort his vocal cords to sound like someone else, pitch-perfectly.)

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 23, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Aw, he finally came out of the closet! Good for him. :unsmith:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wasn't this the story where he inexplicably created a tiny clone of himself?

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Dragonatrix posted:

The one time we saw her parents after the Sports Festival her eyes bugged out in shock and her mother spent the next couple of panels pushing them back into place, so I sort of figured her mom has some kind of low-key tactile telekinesis. From there, you can assume that her dad could alter how much he weighs (a useful talent in construction when you're working on tall buildings and might fall from heights) and suddenly Ochako's Quirk makes perfect sense as a combination of her parent's Quirks.

I mean, there's probably never gonna be official information one way or the other, so you might as well just make up something that sounds vaguely plausible, yeah?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bobulus posted:

I want Deku's nebulous supply of superpowers to reach the ridiculous Superman Golden Era level, where he'd break out a new power at the drop of a hat every time the writers got stuck.

(Some of these got retcon'd as 'Superman has superhumanly-fine control over his muscles, so he can, like, contort his vocal cords to sound like someone else, pitch-perfectly.)

Seems like alien stuff. Basically all the stuff that Martian Manhunter can do aside from the super weaving.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

The one time we saw her parents after the Sports Festival her eyes bugged out in shock and her mother spent the next couple of panels pushing them back into place, so I sort of figured her mom has some kind of low-key tactile telekinesis. From there, you can assume that her dad could alter how much he weighs (a useful talent in construction when you're working on tall buildings and might fall from heights) and suddenly Ochako's Quirk makes perfect sense as a combination of her parent's Quirks.

That was a visual gag....

Do you think Deku literally cries gallons of tears too?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Aw, he finally came out of the closet! Good for him. :unsmith:

What part of "please do not reveal the secret of Superman's new power" is that hard to understand? Geez.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

RatHat posted:

Sure, why not. Let's not read into things because we like the narrative and setting and it's harmless fun to come up with little theories to explain things, let's just take everything literally.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Sure, why not. Let's not read into things because we like the narrative and setting and it's harmless fun to come up with little theories to explain things, let's just take everything literally.

taking things literally is what you did tho

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

his tears telekinetically get water from the air

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I am impressed that there isn't like a me too thing going after endeavor and who knows whatever sort of system that placates creeps like him to mix quirks around for super strong kids. You'd think his natural competition and the villains would want controversy on the latest Number 1 and Enji Todoroki certainly deserves some kind of punishment.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Crabtree posted:

I am impressed that there isn't like a me too thing going after endeavor and who knows whatever sort of system that placates creeps like him to mix quirks around for super strong kids. You'd think his natural competition and the villains would want controversy on the latest Number 1 and Enji Todoroki certainly deserves some kind of punishment.

I don't know if the public is aware of Endeavor's quirk marriage -- it seems like a well-kept, very personal secret of the Todoroki family. Though I expect that in the era of No All Might + Hero Society Looking Flimsy, we'll see that happen soon enough. Or at least during the "Dabi's a Todoroki and we're all very surprised" arc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Plot twist, Dabi's a clone they used Endeavor's blood to make.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

He is going to get poo poo on for what he did for his wife and the rest of his family, but I doubt anything will come from the start of the chain considering it has all the depth of Fire Emblem Eugenics as in looking for an obvious compliment to his own power and weaknesses.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Quirk marriages are common enough that it would hardly seem like fertile ground. What's worse, the public information would look good for him.

From what we've seen, the marriage started with some love, so there'd be a spin of "Endeavor was in a quirk marriage, but they made it work!", followed by "The pressure got to her, so he's bringing up the kids on his own with his wife in a mental institution, what a great dad."

The bits that would get him (rightly) roasted are only known to the Todoroki family. And only one of them seems likely to burn Enji like that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think it started with love?

I mean, Todoroki seems to think it was forced, and while his mom later does talk about Endeavor remembering flowers she liked or whatever that doesn't necessarily mean that they had a good relationship before the whole poo poo went down?

I'd have to reread and check.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I don't think it started with love?

I mean, Todoroki seems to think it was forced, and while his mom later does talk about Endeavor remembering flowers she liked or whatever that doesn't necessarily mean that they had a good relationship before the whole poo poo went down?

I'd have to reread and check.

Well the thing is Todoroki was not around when 25 years ago when their relationship started. I have a feeling their relationship did not start bad, presumably Touya's not being able to meet Endeavor's standards is when things started going south.

chiasaur11 posted:

Quirk marriages are common enough that it would hardly seem like fertile ground. What's worse, the public information would look good for him.

From what we've seen, the marriage started with some love, so there'd be a spin of "Endeavor was in a quirk marriage, but they made it work!", followed by "The pressure got to her, so he's bringing up the kids on his own with his wife in a mental institution, what a great dad."

The bits that would get him (rightly) roasted are only known to the Todoroki family. And only one of them seems likely to burn Enji like that.

Honestly the Todoroki's have no reason to bring it up. The abuse stopped a long while back, and the family is working on recovering. People learning about it would bring unnecessary and unwanted attention on the rest of the family.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 24, 2019

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
HOLY poo poo THE NEW CHAPTER IS A BANGER.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/229/page/1

That last page is amazing.

Also that's a loving Joker reference in the title, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

HORI! HORI! HORI! :allears: