Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So what happens now? is Brexit more or less likely to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

rip

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CODChimera posted:

Well someone who wants no deal is about to be prime minister but that's never going to pass parliament. It's either a general election or remain Vs no deal on a referendum

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

CODChimera posted:

It will always be happening, but never have happened

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

CODChimera posted:

PM Bojo will go all in on a hard brexit.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CODChimera posted:

It's still both dead and alive in the box but i think we need the last election result before people finally admit a "new referendum" would probably end with a worse result for "remain". But I could be wrong.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lmao if it ends up remain vs. no deal in a referendum no deal will win.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1114756164653338625

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

CODChimera posted:

yes

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
theresa may dunked on

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

is there any way I could get an answer in graph form or something involving numbers going up or down?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1131859700448935936

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

CODChimera posted:

is there any way I could get an answer in graph form or something involving numbers going up or down?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1131859891788947456

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Blackhawk posted:

Lmao if it ends up remain vs. no deal in a referendum no deal will win.

There is every chance this would happen, despite idiot liberals assuming it would be a landslide for good old centrist common sense

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Oh my god

something actually happened

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Why the gently caress is Steve Bannon still relevant as anything other than a self-fellatio sideshow?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ya nows a rrally really good time for a GE, as the brexit party surges in popularity

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jeremy Corbyn must fistfight his way to Number 10 Downing Street, Yakuza 0 style

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

CODChimera posted:

brex is brex

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Like who would even set the terms of the referendum, the ruling party? How many ways could you gently caress with the wording to ensure you get what you want.

Option 1 - Remain a subject of the EU
Option 2 - Clean break brexit

Tell me the majority wouldn't go for the clean break.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9-3RZkzpwM

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Blackhawk posted:

Like who would even set the terms of the referendum, the ruling party? How many ways could you gently caress with the wording to ensure you get what you want.

Option 1 - Remain a subject of the EU
Option 2 - Clean break brexit

Tell me the majority wouldn't go for the clean break.

seems likely the government would just use the Electoral Commission's recommended wording, as they did last time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ColinYeo1/status/1131856037756264448

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:byewhore:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

That's a bummer thread to read through.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Jeremy Corbyn must fistfight his way to Number 10 Downing Street, Yakuza 0 style
*Imagine BoJo with a eye patch shouting "YOU WON'T PASS CORBY-CHAN!!!"* :thunk:

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

ya nows a rrally really good time for a GE, as the brexit party surges in popularity

You think the level of support for Brexit Party, Greens and Lib Dems in the EU polls would transfer to a GE?

A combination of not being FPTP and being a single-issue election for many people caused this anomaly. A standard GE campaign about far more than Brexit would favour Labour.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

as long as he has help from the sergeant at arms, the guy with the mace or whatever. basically i'm just picturing this massive armoured knight with Saurons mace destroying the place

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeah I guess I'm classing eu election brexit party voters in the same mental bracket as trump voters which probably isn't entirely fair

Thing is the brexit/tory coalition is a lot more of a fit than any other pairing I can think of, and the fawning lib dems will probably also want in on the bootlicking in exchange for some crumbs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they're more likely to eat into each others votes than end up in coalition. Especially after Farage would be forced to publish a manifesto of what he'd actually like to do in power

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I doubt the brexit party will stand candidates for westminster if, as appears likely, a hard brexiteer is heading the tories

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Jose posted:

they're more likely to eat into each others votes than end up in coalition. Especially after Farage would be forced to publish a manifesto of what he'd actually like to do in power

He would like to ensure that Brexit means Brexit

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Grenfell was under her watch too, and due to the cost of replacing faulty cladding it's had a huge knock-on effect to people all over the country who the government has been steadfastly ignoring for years.

She's a massive oval office and easily among the worst PMs ever. We can at least take a small amount of joy from seeing her forced out.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Jose posted:

itd just be a total shitshow for the tories with FPTP

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-resign-when-why-quit-next-pm-conservative-leader-brexit-a8927801.html

quote:

The length of the contest will be determined by the 1922 Committee. Many Tory MPs want the process completed before parliament's summer break beings in mid-July. This would require a short, sharp leadership election lasting around a month.

If the 1922 Committee opts for a longer contest, it would be expected that the new leader would be in place in time for the Conservatives' annual conference at the end of September.

lol

So let's be generous and say they finish this by mid-July. So May is hanging about being ineffective for another month/month and a half. Then they all go on holiday for six weeks.

We're doing really well not wasting the time we have left before the next Brexit deadline in October.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
They've gone for end of July.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Oh cool so just two months of what is effectively a discarded plastic bag for PM, then a six week jolly for them.

e: and conference season kicks off in september so that's a few more weeks gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

may had one job and that was to jump on the brexit grenade , but she hasn’t so nobody in the Tory party really knows what to do now