Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Spergatory posted:

In addition to fun characters, MvGX features a lot of unexpected votes, some nice last minute switches, some good old fashioned Emotions™, and at least one legitimately historic tribal council. It's not the season that introduced me to Survivor, but it did introduce me to Survivor podcasts due to me seeing the finale, hearing the winner's story, and typing their name into Google muttering "no loving way that's real."

(It was.)

(spoiler tagged only for the benefit of the one guy who's considering watching it for the first time)My god if it turned out that Adam's story was fake the whole time and was a 4-D chess "Johnny Fairplay lie but on super steroids" move the whole time that would have been the greatest moment in Survivor history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mialillenns vs Gex You presuppose he only won because of his mother's story. Much more than that got him the win, particularly considering the people he was sitting next to. If he had to go up against Jay or David, the votes would have swung much more wildly. It's like saying Jeremy only won because his wife was pregnant. He had so much to his gameplay.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think my complaints about MvG boil down to Will and Sunday were practically wallpaper for being mid-merge boots, Bret wasn't much better for finishing in 5th, and that Ken and Hannah were seen as such big goats. Which is a shame, because Ken would have done well about twenty seasons ago.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

MvGX reminds me of China. A really good season with a deserving winner who gives a good final tribal performance that has little to nothing to do with the season we watched and what happened on it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zesty posted:

Yeah, I'm not feeling like going through all her podcasts on RHAP for every little instance of her specifically using reductive language for women but not the same for the men that shows the pattern leading up to her insulting comments. Like I care to put that kind of effort until you're sufficiently convinced... because we both know that can't possibly happen. Go ahead and be pissy that I'm such a meanie.

We know more about Season 40 than we do about 39. What's there to really say about 39 than "I hope it doesn't suck considering they need this gimmick to cover their lovely new casting director." Just like 38 needed returnees mixed with their newbies and a gimmick that keeps them in every episode throughout the season and 40 that has no newbies.
I actually heard the s39 cast is going to be great. Josh Wigler said they were David v Goliath quality.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zesty posted:

Who came up with the thread title, by the way? They nailed it.

I'm not gonna sound dumb as hell if it wasn't me, but... me? I think? It's a quote from wargames.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

yeah me, slick goku baby had the edge of cancellation part, so it was a team effort

:hfive:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Indeed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fast Luck posted:

I actually heard the s39 cast is going to be great. Josh Wigler said they were David v Goliath quality.

I will try to remain optimistic then!

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Zesty posted:

I will try to remain optimistic then!

Counterpoint: this is the guy who thinks the Wandoff is a good and entertaining segment that isn't intensely annoying.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SweetJahasus posted:

Counterpoint: this is the guy who thinks the Wandoff is a good and entertaining segment that isn't intensely annoying.

The Wandoff's the best thing on RHAP

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Ah I see you like annoying and bad things.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SweetJahasus posted:

I don't like your opinion on the Wandoff, so that doesn't pan out.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Haha for me it’s kind of like the Wandoff overstayed its welcome, like it may be fun for a minute but after hearing one Survivor parody rap song or Survivor parody Disney song with funny voices, you never EVER need to hear another one

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SweetJahasus posted:

lol dude you have a coach avatar

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

lol

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
My favorite thing about RHAP this season was the sheer number of Chris Underwood dick jokes they very clearly did not expect they would ever have to answer for. I mean, dude got voted out third. No way he's actually relevant to the rest of the season, right? Right?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Speaking of which:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just finished this season last night and lmao

It was great until the last couple episodes. Really wanted Victoria or Rick to win. Rick had by far the best story and edit. Gavin would have been fine too because he did play well.

Chris winning is just lmao

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fast Luck posted:

Haha for me it’s kind of like the Wandoff overstayed its welcome, like it may be fun for a minute but after hearing one Survivor parody rap song or Survivor parody Disney song with funny voices, you never EVER need to hear another one

The worst thing about anything is the fans. Less call-ins and audience participation, the better.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The projected self-loathing in this thread is approaching Jacob Derwin levels.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I only actually watch/listen to the Know It Alls so I have no idea what's actually happening.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

I only actually watch/listen to the Know It Alls so I have no idea what's actually happening.

Dude, opposite. Watched the show, can't care about the podcasts. There needs to be strategy for me to care about analysis. That said, I missed a couple episodes this season, which is new for me, and I didn't really miss them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can't concentrate on podcasts so I don't even bother with those.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Whoa, on the Rob podcast, Victoria said it was actually Wardog who came up with all the ideas for all of the big moves Chris made after coming back from The Edge to win the game. Wardog was the real mastermind the whole time!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I was watching an episode of 3rd Rock from the Sun and thought I recognized some minor character.

Looked it up. loving Shane Powers, 8 years before Survivor.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

this is how each of the players on Edge of Extinction were eliminated.

Raised the mast: Keith, Wendy
Lost Extinction challenge: Reem, Aubry, Joe, Eric, Julia, David, Kelley, Wardog, Ron, Aurora
Lost fire challenge: Rick
Losing finalist: Julie, Gavin
Idoled out: Victoria, Lauren
Had the most votes cast against them at a given Tribal: No one

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean... that's just playing the numbers to say the gimmick was bad. EVERYONE had the most votes cast against them at a tribal - including the winner - except Julie and Gavin. It was impossible by design for that to be the final chance.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's not the Extinction Island mechanic alone that got us to this place.

When they came up with Survivor, the idea was that the player with the most votes was sent out of the game all the way down to final two, at which point the jury comes in to decide the winner. Eventually the Final Tribal Council was expanded to three players. Now we have fire instead of the F4 vote. This all represents a gradual chipping away from the original concept, as do immunity idols, which can save someone even if they receive the most votes. And in this season, we had the Extinction Island twist.

Extinction did most of the work, but it combined with each of these additions and changes to take us to a place where not a single player was eliminated from the game completely by having their name written down the most times. That is just an insane thing to be able to say, isn't it? That the only two players actually voted out after Extinction were both idoled out is the cherry on top.

I like idols (to a point)! And I enjoyed this total fluke of a season (even though I don't want to see the EI twist again). The fact that I can say nobody's ultimate elimination was caused by straight up getting the most votes makes this season even better to be honest -- again, as an absurd one-off; big picture it's more of a flashing neon sign of how far they've strayed from the core idea behind the game.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 4, 2019

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Please source your Reddit quotes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SweetJahasus posted:

Please source your Reddit quotes

Reddit

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I just don't personally care that the game isn't the same as it was in Borneo. Players aren't the same as they were in Borneo. Strategy isn't the same as it was in Borneo. The show's focus isn't the same as it was in Borneo. The rules also have changed for better and worse over the decades.

But really, the gimmick of last season was "After you're voted out you'll get one last chance before being eliminated." So looking back and crunching the numbers to show that no one was ultimately eliminated by a clean majority vote is... the commercial for the season? Love it or hate it, its not really calling attention to anything that the show wasn't actively trying to do in the first place.

And even though it might be fun if you look at it that way to notice the last couple of people post EoE/pre Fire got idoled out... that's just such a common part of the game for me I don't even think it should resonate. Whatever problems I may have had with that were made peace with a long time ago.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 4, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I don't love idol/advantage land either but saying 'nobody got eliminated by a majority vote!' is just being pedantic.

Honestly, just expect every season from now on to have some kind of advantage or casting gimmick. They're more or less committed to Fiji now so they keep telling themselves that they need something new to call each season. We won't really get a Cagayan or Tocantins again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't even know how I feel about idols and advantages. Sometimes I like them. Sometimes I don't. It probably falls well in line with my feelings about the players who benefit or suffer from them.

Its just like for me idols and advantages aren't good or bad, they just are. They're part of Survivor and have been long enough that getting mad about it feels silly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I don't even know how I feel about idols and advantages. Sometimes I like them. Sometimes I don't. It probably falls well in line with my feelings about the players who benefit or suffer from them.

Its just like for me idols and advantages aren't good or bad, they just are. They're part of Survivor and have been long enough that getting mad about it feels silly.

The show is fun to watch much more often than it isn't. That seems like the only meaningful criterion.

I've watched every season as it aired and it's one of my favorite shows, but damned if I'm going to let it be that important.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think a big part of WHY I like Survivor so much is that there's no cliffhangers or unresolved stories or lingering character arcs. Its a 10 week (or something) distraction I kill one night a week on, and while I enjoy it I enjoy it and when I don't I just wrap it up and move on. I liked a lot of this season and then end was a big eye roll for me. But that's fine, because next season is a new one night a week fun distraction.

You wanna make Boston Rob and Sandra island gods? Ok, I'm game to see if this can be entertaining for a couple of months.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When you go to an ice cream place with a lot of flavours, you could always order regular old chocolate or coffee ice cream and be sure it'll be good or you could take a chance and see if jameson flavored ice cream is any good, sounds kind of nasty but it's different and worst case scenario it's still ice cream.

Whisky ice cream is about as it sounds, but I can't blame em for trying if they're making the same tried and true mixes for decades. The only truly miserable possible flavour of ice cream is no ice cream.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I only not enjoy Survivor when the contestants get ugly (see: One World, Worlds Apart, Koah Rong, Game Changers). Also get terrible gimmicky douchebags like Phillip Sheppard off my screen.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What happened in Game Changers? I must have blocked it out.

Edit: looked up the cast list. loving Varner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Varner was a whole different type of ugly. That wasn't good tv for anyone. I feel like even Russell wouldn't have gone there. Though I'm not sure that's what apples was referring to anyway.