Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Panic Restaurant posted:

So I've been looking into mattresses for a bit now, but it's making my brain explode. I'm currently sleeping on some 10+ year old mattress that's saggy and starting to hurt my back. I went to a couple of stores and tried out several mattresses. I really liked a Bellanest Pillow Top Imperial and a Serta Perfect Sleeper Select Dalewood Plush, but I got home, did some research and read nothing but bad things about pillow top mattresses.

I'm real tired of going to mattress stores and doing hours of research, so after reading this thread, I'm considering trying one of the online bed in a box brands, maybe Purple or Leesa. I'm typically a back sleeper but I move constantly so I rarely wake up in the same position, and I tend to sleep fairly hot. 5'4" and around 200lbs if that matters at all. Looking for a Twin around $500-600.

Any recommendations? Thank you mattress sages, please save me from this recursive research hell.

My major recommendation is that online beds generally are subpar. Most folks have great experience with them not because the product is good, but because their old bed was failing them pretty miserably. :shrug:

That being said, you should check and see if you can try any of the ones you are interested in (Tuft & Needle has some storefronts, Purple can be tried at some Mattress Firms and some Macy's [I think], Casper is in some Targets, I think Bed Bath and Beyond has a bed-in-a-box). Ultimately, though, there isn't a huge difference in quality among BIAB products, by virtue of them all being similarly priced and made of similar materials. As you sleep hot, ventilation is likely the best feature to look for to assist in your heat problem.

Purple is very unique, so try it if you can; it is the one least like the others. Failing that, Avacado seems to be held in very high regard, and Nectar has an OK reputation. Capser as a company sucks butts, but their product is OK. tulo tends to be a bit cheaper, but also fairly good and is carried at Mattress Firm, so you can at least try it.

We've had a few posters in this thread swear by their Purple, and a couple who liked their Tuft & Needle.

redreader posted:

We're both hot sleepers and our house gets hot in summer. We have a tempurpedic which is reaching the end of its life. I got it in 2008.

Given that we're hot sleepers, it looks like memory foam is a bad idea? If we want a nice cool 'normal mattress' what kind of options are there? Our budget is probably no more then 2500, we'd want to buy the mattress and frame. We could go higher I suppose or if there's something good for $500 or $1000, great. We're both lowish 200's, not tall, and have a queen. We could do king or queen.

Memory foam in 2019 is quite a bit different than memory foam in 2008. In fact, some of the coolest beds we carry is all foam; finding a set for 2500 or less that will be both foam and cool would be tricky, depending on the feel you're looking for. And King tends to be $400 more than Queen in general.

Without knowing anything else, I'd recommend checking out Beautyrest hybrids (likely Recharge or Platinum, depending on who is around you), or the Sealy chill hybrids. If you want more specific guidance, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll give you some suggestions based on what Mattress Firm has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuK2gO
Mar 6, 2007
kek

DuK2gO posted:

And an update: my wife talked me into getting a 12" LUCID latex hybrid. If we don't like this one we're going with a nectar or ghostbed depending on how much we like the latex top.

Stuck with the LUCID. It was almost fully decompressed upon opening, probably due to springs. Love the latex top, very cool. I like firm beds and the latex almost feels too soft, but when I settle in it feels very supportive. Had a slightly sore back for a week to adjust. Springs seem quiet. Would recommend especially if I get at least a few years out of it for the price.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DuK2gO posted:

Stuck with the LUCID. It was almost fully decompressed upon opening, probably due to springs. Love the latex top, very cool. I like firm beds and the latex almost feels too soft, but when I settle in it feels very supportive. Had a slightly sore back for a week to adjust. Springs seem quiet. Would recommend especially if I get at least a few years out of it for the price.

Said, "gently caress it," and ordered the same one (Full), as my futon has hit End of Life status.
Was seriously considering a Purple Queen, but this is literally a third the price, and I don't need to upgrade my frame or sheets. If I get more than three years I'm laughing.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 16, 2019

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It sounded like a few people in here like to use the purple fitted sheets but not the top ones. Anyone happen to have an extra purple (cal/)king size flat sheet that they aren't using?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'm looking to kick my cheap Ikea mattress to the curb. I've been having upper back/neck pains for quite a while now (years really). I've only recently noticed that they diminish when I travel, so I'm thinking of getting a new mattress. For reference, my wife and I both weigh less than 150 lbs.

From looking online at Wirecutter and NYMag, people seem to like Saatva, but people in this thread seem to like Purple and Tuft and Needle more. Anyone here have any experience with Saatva?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I have a ~15 year old coil mattress that I want to replace. I've been to some local stores to try out a bunch and I've narrowed it down to something in the $500-$600 range. Still not sure if I should get foam or coil but I do have a few questions

1. I assume I should get a mattress protector from amazon? They are way cheaper than anything offered by any of the stores.

2. How can I tell if the box spring needs to be replaced as well? If so, what should I look for?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

clockworkjoe posted:

I have a ~15 year old coil mattress that I want to replace. I've been to some local stores to try out a bunch and I've narrowed it down to something in the $500-$600 range. Still not sure if I should get foam or coil but I do have a few questions

1. I assume I should get a mattress protector from amazon? They are way cheaper than anything offered by any of the stores.

2. How can I tell if the box spring needs to be replaced as well? If so, what should I look for?

1. If it's much below $40 (assuming Queen), it is likely garbage. Unless there's some perk to getting it with the retailer you are going to go with, there's no downside to getting one elsewhere.

2. Make sure your foundation is completely level: no dips, no sags, no fractures. If it's completely flat, you're probably OK. If it sags even a little, you'll want a new one because it will cause disproportionate wear on the new mattress.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Wound up getting this: https://www.southerlandsleep.com/signature/opus

Felt good and was in my budget $500 with free delivery and take away of the old mattress.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I have had a Tempur-Pedic mattress for about eight years (I believe it's a Cloud) and it seems like it's wearing out and starting to sink. The array of options for a potential replacement is baffling. I like the idea of a hybrid mattress, I think, but after reading that article about mattress marketing I feel like I can't trust anything I read about mattresses, nor can I trust what a salesperson in a store tells me. I'm a consistent side sleeper and I like a fairly soft bed, and I tend to overheat easily. I'd feel okay spending up to around $3000 if the quality was equal to the price. The Purple hybrid mattress (the 3" or maybe 4" version, I dunno) seem like they might suit my goals but the reviews on Amazon of Purple products are not good at all. Memory foam, latex, whatever the Purple material is, what should I be looking at?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kylaer posted:

I have had a Tempur-Pedic mattress for about eight years (I believe it's a Cloud) and it seems like it's wearing out and starting to sink. The array of options for a potential replacement is baffling. I like the idea of a hybrid mattress, I think, but after reading that article about mattress marketing I feel like I can't trust anything I read about mattresses, nor can I trust what a salesperson in a store tells me. I'm a consistent side sleeper and I like a fairly soft bed, and I tend to overheat easily. I'd feel okay spending up to around $3000 if the quality was equal to the price. The Purple hybrid mattress (the 3" or maybe 4" version, I dunno) seem like they might suit my goals but the reviews on Amazon of Purple products are not good at all. Memory foam, latex, whatever the Purple material is, what should I be looking at?

If you have a Tempur, chances are you'd likely feel most at home with a memory foam or hybrid. I've been selling beds for a while now, and can only tell you that there is no hard and fast rule for what you need. Honestly, I'd probably direct you towards a BeautyRest hybrid (platinum, Black if you go to the Firm), or maybe BeautyRest Black foam or Serta iComfort. As you're coming off of a luxury level all foam mattress, you'll be fairly sensitive to beds-in-a-box most likely, as the relative density of foam in them is laughable compared to high dollar offerings. Depending on where you are, you may be able to find other lesser known products; if you find anything in particular you're curious about, post it or pm me and I'll give you my honest assessment of the product.

If you like your Tempur (or did), then Purple is literally the furthest possible feel away from Tempur. The Purple hybrids are hella bouncy (turns out that rubberized polymer on springs is extremely elastic!), if nothing else.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Thank you for the detailed answer. The Tempur did a good job for a long time, I think. I guess I could look at a modern Tempur, too, if foam technology is still advancing.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Synastren, I must say that I appreciate your information, but for everyone looking at buying a mattress, gently caress Mattress Firm. I bought a very expensive Beautyrest hybrid from them, it felt good in the store, but when I actually sleep on it and the foam warms up, it becomes too soft and my hip sinks in and it hurts. Fair enough, these misjudgments happen and I wasn't upset over it. I've slept on it for a few nights and it's definitely not improving so I call them and ask them to return it.

They won't take it back until you've held it for 21 days, and on top of that they're going to charge me a huge "restocking fee." Now I'm upset.

I will never buy a mattress from anywhere except Costco again in my life.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kylaer posted:

Synastren, I must say that I appreciate your information, but for everyone looking at buying a mattress, gently caress Mattress Firm. I bought a very expensive Beautyrest hybrid from them, it felt good in the store, but when I actually sleep on it and the foam warms up, it becomes too soft and my hip sinks in and it hurts. Fair enough, these misjudgments happen and I wasn't upset over it. I've slept on it for a few nights and it's definitely not improving so I call them and ask them to return it.

They won't take it back until you've held it for 21 days, and on top of that they're going to charge me a huge "restocking fee." Now I'm upset.

I will never buy a mattress from anywhere except Costco again in my life.

Your salesperson was poo poo.

PM me your sales order. I'll see what I can do.

ed:
To clarify:
I don't know what market you're in, so I'm not sure what product you got, but your salesperson hosed up in several ways.
1) There is one specific BR Black hybrid that is notoriously hot. If your salesperson didn't qualify that you already slept hot, that's a massive oversight on their consultancy part.
1a) As an aside, some folks do not consider that better foams are generally temperature sensitive and therefore get softer with heat. This is a delightful combination with the above.
2) There is some extensive receipt paper that every associate should go over with every guest making a purchase to discuss the terms and conditions of the sleep trial. This absolutely should be discussed before you walk out of the store, and likely mentioned earlier.
3) The 21 day period is there to ensure that you are not returning a mattress because it isn't yet broken in. Store models are often well broken in because it is more important to convey what the mattress will feel like for the majority of the time you have it, not what it feels like for the first few weeks. It can be overridden with authorization.

Sounds to me like you got someone that was some combination of lazy and desperate, and that's a goddamn disappointment. I can call you from my store after you shoot me your details, then I'll summarily start rattling cages.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 2, 2019

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Thank you, I'll send a PM. They call the mattress the Beautyrest Jennings, I'm not sure what other names it goes by.

The bed doesn't feel unusually hot, it actually feels pretty good in that aspect, it's just that the short period I spent laying on it in the store (fully dressed, of course) didn't let it warm up to accurately reflect how it would feel. I like a soft bed and I chose this one because it was soft, but I guess I misjudged just how soft it would end up being or something. If it was a $400 bed in a box I'd expect and tolerate some imperfections, but for a mattress that cost over $3000 I think it's reasonable to expect it to be basically perfect.

The break-in period caught me offguard because one of the selling points for this mattress that was explained to me was that it is preconditioned from the factory so there isn't a break-in period. I dunno, maybe that was more marketing nonsense; I did spend some time this morning mashing a 45lb kettlebell up and down over the spot where my hips lie so maybe that'll change things a bit.

They did tell me at the time of purchase that if I chose to return the mattress I would pay a pickup fee, equal to the delivery fee, which I don't have any problem with - sending two workers and a truck costs money and I don't expect that for free. They did not tell me about the 20%/$500 restocking fee (with the mattress I bought, it would hit the $500 limit).

I'm reacting kind of emotionally, the money in absolute terms isn't as big of an issue as the fact that I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What's the deal with getting rid of your old bed?

Do most mattress companies pick up and dispose of your bed? For a fee or for free?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

redreader posted:

What's the deal with getting rid of your old bed?

Do most mattress companies pick up and dispose of your bed? For a fee or for free?

Depends on the retailer, depends on the state, sometimes even depends on your local community.

CA has a recycling fee, for example. :shrug:

Mattress Firm includes haul away with the delivery fee* (79-99, depending on where you live), and it's a coinflip whether the retailer of your choice will charge for delivery and/or for haul away.
*you could also pay the Firm a delivery fee just to haul away an old set

Conversely, some communities (your town, maybe your living community) will do a semiregular "large item haul away" with this in mind.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I need a new mattress. The one I'm using now is a 15 year old hand-me-down, and I'm starting to wake up more sore than when I went to sleep >.>

I know nothing about mattress buying though, having never done so. I do know that I'm looking for something:

1. Queen size
2. Med-to-Med/Firm
3. Cool
4. ~$1200, I can flex up or down a bit but not too much

Any suggestions?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
So I still love my Purple but I thought it was going to be better about sleeping cool. I wake up sweatier in this bed than any other.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Yeah, cool is probably 2nd most important after "can I afford it".

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for your posts Synastren. Looking online, this is the best place near me. Do you know any of the brands that are in stock here? https://bayareamattressoutlet.com My wife and I want to go there tomorrow.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

So I still love my Purple but I thought it was going to be better about sleeping cool. I wake up sweatier in this bed than any other.

I've only tried a couple of Purple models; I honestly have no idea what to expect wrt cooling performance, honestly. What kind of sheets and/or mattress protection accessories are you using? You might be interested in my next response.....

Annath posted:

Yeah, cool is probably 2nd most important after "can I afford it".

While you can go for kinda anything, you'll likely want to lean more towards a traditional style mattress with that price range. You've got quite a few options available to you, but I have yet to see a hybrid or all foam below ~1600 that is legit cooler than an innerspring. The costs of making a legit cool layer of foam are a lot higher than you might expect since foam is innately less breathable. Honestly, though, I think your best bet would be to get a queen mattress somewhere around that $1k mark (if you go to Matt Firm, look for Sleepys Slumber or Reserve models; elsewhere, anything around that price will be dependable), and to spend the rest of your budget around cooling accessories and sheets.

When it comes to cooling, there are two strategies: active and passive cooling. Active cooling involves some sort of material that will provide an actual cool feeling, whereas passive cooling will generally just not get particularly warm. Active cooling in bedding is primarily through phase change material (PCM) which provides a fairly intense feeling of cool for about 20ish minutes of contact before gradually getting warmer; anyone who says otherwise likely is romancing too hard on the technology or doesn't know any better. Passive cooling is primarily achieved through breathability and conductivity of heat: tencel, bamboo, and long staple cottons (e.g., Egyptian, Pima) are go-to words to look for. There are also proprietary textiles (e.g., Outlast, FRIO) that perform pretty well. You can find these materials in pillows and mattress protectors, but do not neglect your sheets.

Pro-tip for sheet purchasing: ignore thread count, look at the material. There is no reason to go above ~600 thread counts. You want to get high quality materials (see above) over thread count. If you get warm, avoid synthetic materials whenever possible.

redreader posted:

Thanks for your posts Synastren. Looking online, this is the best place near me. Do you know any of the brands that are in stock here? https://bayareamattressoutlet.com My wife and I want to go there tomorrow.

Glad I'm being helpful! As trite as it sounds, the only reason I stick around this job is because I enjoy educating and helping folks. :shrug:

Simmons and Serta are all I recognize, but that doesn't mean anything about the relative quality of what they have, and I am generally very fond of Beautyrest. I'm happy to answer whatever questions you may have about products you see there, though!

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I'm surprised at folks who think the Purple is hot. I'm pretty picky about keeping my bed cool, and my Purple always feels cool to me. I'm using the Purple sheets as well.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
It's when I use the Purple sheets that I tend to wake up very sweaty. Weird.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I'm not entirely surprised that we're hearing contrary experiences with Purple's sheets: they're 10% spandex, and Purple says they're "bamboo based." And their protector has got to be warm AF, since it's polyester and spandex.

Spandex is a tricky textile that (in my own anecdotal experience) is quite warm.

It would not surprise me, however, if folks who just want a cool bed are happy to have a bed that feels cool initially. Meanwhile, those folks who sleep warm are much more interested in how cool they stay over the course of the night. I expect the Purple textiles are extremely good in the former case and likely awful in the latter.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
BAMO was closed so we went to Mattress Firm and then Mancini's. We asked for a 'cool hybrid' for under 1500 at both places. We have a broken frame and a tempurpedic box spring that is fine. We were looking at queen size.

Mattress firm: Offered a 'beautyrest recharge hybrid' for 1599 (200 discount for 4th of july, so 1399... call it 1400) with a remote control frame that sits you up like in a hospital bed 'free today only' (otherwise for $500). We liked the yellow firmness. The guy said the protector was free and was needed if we were going to return it. Delivery is $100. To return you need to pay yourself to get the mattress back there, and the restocking fee 'exists but I don't know what it is' said the salesman.

Mancinis: Took us straight to a mattress that felt really, really cool initially and seems to have stayed cool for at least a few minutes while we sat on it. The firmness was also really good. It was a stratus hybrid plush gel. It seemed nicer than the beautyrest. The price was 1180 for mattress and box spring, but 1000 for just the mattress. The guy said that the frame (we need one) is 69 but half price when we buy a mattress. Mancini's has free delivery and my wife mentioned that their return policy seems better: 99 to return anything with no restocking fee and then you get your money back or change the mattress

So that's it. We went to 2 places and really liked the stratus. We liked the beautyrest but why pay $400 more for something we like a little less?

edit: stratus https://www.sleepworld.com/mattresses/sleepworld-designs/sleepworld-designs-stratus-hybrid-2-0-plush-cla-hyb-3m-pl-19-config
it's a mattress in a box? or not? I can't really tell.

this is the beautyrest I think. https://www.mattressfirm.com/simmons-beautyrest/recharge-greenmont-13.5-inch-hybrid-plush-mattress/mfi127921.html
the one I looked at was 'dawson firm' and did not have the word 'greenmont' in the title. Disregard the frame/headboard.

redreader fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 17, 2019

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

It's when I use the Purple sheets that I tend to wake up very sweaty. Weird.

I wake up sweaty in my purple bed as well. It's the Gen 1 and I had the purple sheets, but they pilled up really bad even with weekly washing. Anyways, I have to have my over head fan running to not sweat and my ambient is 68-70. I'm using California design den 600 cotton sheets and I still sweat in them, I guess I need constant air flow to not sweat.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Synastren posted:

While you can go for kinda anything, you'll likely want to lean more towards a traditional style mattress with that price range. You've got quite a few options available to you, but I have yet to see a hybrid or all foam below ~1600 that is legit cooler than an innerspring. The costs of making a legit cool layer of foam are a lot higher than you might expect since foam is innately less breathable. Honestly, though, I think your best bet would be to get a queen mattress somewhere around that $1k mark (if you go to Matt Firm, look for Sleepys Slumber or Reserve models; elsewhere, anything around that price will be dependable), and to spend the rest of your budget around cooling accessories and sheets.

When it comes to cooling, there are two strategies: active and passive cooling. Active cooling involves some sort of material that will provide an actual cool feeling, whereas passive cooling will generally just not get particularly warm. Active cooling in bedding is primarily through phase change material (PCM) which provides a fairly intense feeling of cool for about 20ish minutes of contact before gradually getting warmer; anyone who says otherwise likely is romancing too hard on the technology or doesn't know any better. Passive cooling is primarily achieved through breathability and conductivity of heat: tencel, bamboo, and long staple cottons (e.g., Egyptian, Pima) are go-to words to look for. There are also proprietary textiles (e.g., Outlast, FRIO) that perform pretty well. You can find these materials in pillows and mattress protectors, but do not neglect your sheets.

Pro-tip for sheet purchasing: ignore thread count, look at the material. There is no reason to go above ~600 thread counts. You want to get high quality materials (see above) over thread count. If you get warm, avoid synthetic materials whenever possible.

Can you help me understand what the differences are between these 3 models?

https://www.mattressfirm.com/sleepys/slumber-13.5-inch-pillow-top-encased-coil-mattress/mfi126018.html

https://www.mattressfirm.com/sleepys/reserve-15.5-inch-pillow-top-encased-coil-mattress/mfi126024.html

https://www.mattressfirm.com/sleepys/reserve-14-inch-plush-encased-coil-mattress/mfi126023.html

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

redreader posted:

BAMO was closed so we went to Mattress Firm and then Mancini's. We asked for a 'cool hybrid' for under 1500 at both places. We have a broken frame and a tempurpedic box spring that is fine. We were looking at queen size.

Mattress firm: Offered a 'beautyrest recharge hybrid' for 1599 (200 discount for 4th of july, so 1399... call it 1400) with a remote control frame that sits you up like in a hospital bed 'free today only' (otherwise for $500). We liked the yellow firmness. The guy said the protector was free and was needed if we were going to return it. Delivery is $100. To return you need to pay yourself to get the mattress back there, and the restocking fee 'exists but I don't know what it is' said the salesman.

Mancinis: Took us straight to a mattress that felt really, really cool initially and seems to have stayed cool for at least a few minutes while we sat on it. The firmness was also really good. It was a stratus hybrid plush gel. It seemed nicer than the beautyrest. The price was 1180 for mattress and box spring, but 1000 for just the mattress. The guy said that the frame (we need one) is 69 but half price when we buy a mattress. Mancini's has free delivery and my wife mentioned that their return policy seems better: 99 to return anything with no restocking fee and then you get your money back or change the mattress

So that's it. We went to 2 places and really liked the stratus. We liked the beautyrest but why pay $400 more for something we like a little less?

edit: stratus https://www.sleepworld.com/mattresses/sleepworld-designs/sleepworld-designs-stratus-hybrid-2-0-plush-cla-hyb-3m-pl-19-config
it's a mattress in a box? or not? I can't really tell.

this is the beautyrest I think. https://www.mattressfirm.com/simmons-beautyrest/recharge-greenmont-13.5-inch-hybrid-plush-mattress/mfi127921.html
the one I looked at was 'dawson firm' and did not have the word 'greenmont' in the title. Disregard the frame/headboard.

Dawson is a solid model. It's a unique feel (BR plush coils under extremely firm memory foam), carries a full 10 year warranty as well. I'm not entirely convinced it sleeps particularly cool, though, so you'd probably want to supplement it with cooling accessories if that's a high priority. I personally don't feel like the Dawson is particularly firm, but that's a somewhat subjective judgment call.

The Stratus mattress is 100% a bed in a box product. The website says it "ships compressed" which is a euphemism. While I have some reservations about beds-in-a-box, I think it'd be alright if you're looking for a 5-ish year turnaround time, and would be shocked if you get much more time out of it. The few hybrid BIABs I've tried have been underwhelming. Their edges seem to perform poorly, and I'm not comfortable with how the vacuum sealing process would interact with coils.

Some exposition on your MattFirm experience:
I think your associate did not properly communicate a lot to you. In no particular order:
- The free adjustable event had a lower minimum over Father's Day weekend, but it's still in effect in the price you are looking for; further, if you want to substitute the free base for traditional boxes, you certainly can.
- Restocking fees are generally 10% on an exchange, 20% on a return.
- Corporate policy is that the protector is not required for an exchange or return--with the massive caveat that if it is stained or soiled, you can't exchange it.

There might be some variations in the different major geographical areas of the country, but I'm pretty comfortable with those statements.

All of that being said, there are two things to consider here:
1) In my opinion, virtually any traditionally shipped mattress will be at least even or better than virtually any current bed in a box of a similarish price.
2) Mattress Firm has a price match guarantee, and while the Dawson is objectively better than the Stratus model, certainly the company would be interested to know what they are competing against. This includes the exchange/return policy, though an area manager would likely need to get involved at the point of sale to ensure a note is made on your invoice.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Two posts for legibility!

Broadly speaking, there are three major Sleepy's innerspring lines:
Hush (which you did not ask about)
Slumber
Reserve

There are a few differences in foams between each of the three, but there are two particularly tangible feature differences that the Reserve has that the Slumber lacks:
1) Micro coils. These provide more buoyancy to the mattress, and generally give a "meatier" feel to the bed. It's a way to add some additional support without adding additional firmness.
2) Handles that are box stitched to the side panels. They're actually load bearing!

Note that the primary coil units on all three models are identical, however, so the differences across them are entirely in the comfort layer of the mattress! I also personally am skeptical of their cooling gel claims; they are roughly the same temperature as any other traditional style inner spring mattress.

I would expect Reserve models to maintain more of their firmness in the long run compared to a Slumber, if only because of the micro coils.

As to the difference between the Reserve Plush and Pillow Top? The PT has more soft stuff in it, and it's not stitched down as tightly as the PL.

While not exactly informative, I can tell you that you picked the least popular Slumber model to ask about, and the Reserve PL is a particular favorite in my market. We sell a ton of them in my store, more specifically, and that's a bed that I recommended to a fellow goon, even!

I can drill down deeper if you want, but sometimes even going into that much detail makes folks' eyes glaze over. Did I give a good enough response?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Synastren posted:

Two posts for legibility!

Broadly speaking, there are three major Sleepy's innerspring lines:
Hush (which you did not ask about)
Slumber
Reserve

There are a few differences in foams between each of the three, but there are two particularly tangible feature differences that the Reserve has that the Slumber lacks:
1) Micro coils. These provide more buoyancy to the mattress, and generally give a "meatier" feel to the bed. It's a way to add some additional support without adding additional firmness.
2) Handles that are box stitched to the side panels. They're actually load bearing!

Note that the primary coil units on all three models are identical, however, so the differences across them are entirely in the comfort layer of the mattress! I also personally am skeptical of their cooling gel claims; they are roughly the same temperature as any other traditional style inner spring mattress.

I would expect Reserve models to maintain more of their firmness in the long run compared to a Slumber, if only because of the micro coils.

As to the difference between the Reserve Plush and Pillow Top? The PT has more soft stuff in it, and it's not stitched down as tightly as the PL.

While not exactly informative, I can tell you that you picked the least popular Slumber model to ask about, and the Reserve PL is a particular favorite in my market. We sell a ton of them in my store, more specifically, and that's a bed that I recommended to a fellow goon, even!

I can drill down deeper if you want, but sometimes even going into that much detail makes folks' eyes glaze over. Did I give a good enough response?

That's very informative, thanks!

I kind of arbitrarily picked those models after Googling the model keywords you referred me to earlier.

If the pillow top is sqishier, then I'd probably go for the Plush.

I really need to figure out what mattresses and pillows Hilton stocks in their Doubletree/Hampton Inn/Garden Inn properties, because, due to traveling for work, I sleep on them fairly often and they're just the right level of firmness and coolness.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Annath posted:

That's very informative, thanks!

I kind of arbitrarily picked those models after Googling the model keywords you referred me to earlier.

If the pillow top is sqishier, then I'd probably go for the Plush.

I really need to figure out what mattresses and pillows Hilton stocks in their Doubletree/Hampton Inn/Garden Inn properties, because, due to traveling for work, I sleep on them fairly often and they're just the right level of firmness and coolness.

For what it's worth, I've positively matched the BeautyRest Bay Spring well against more popular resort hotel mattresses. And you can likely call a hotel and ask what kind of pillows they use. If it's not some super generic thing, it is likely something Serta makes.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/06/18/mattress-firm-tempur-sealy-sterns-foster-tempur-pedic/1485463001/

This is a thing that happened.

Expect some big floor model sales from Mattress Firm, likely in the next 4-ish months.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Just posting to say I’m on week 2 with my stupid expensive Purple 4 king and I loving love it. It’s like sleeping on a marshmallow that’s also supportive. Like when I side sleep I actively feel it pushing up against my ribs and gut as opposed to my old One where all I felt was hip and shoulder pressure.

It’s the best, I also love how strange it feels. I’m living in the future with my space mattress.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alright, just got done reading through the thread and have no idea what mattress to buy.

I am currently on a queen Simmons Beauty Rest of some sort and it’s 12ish years old. It currently likes to roll people toward the center. Wife and I decided we would like to get a king since kids like to jump in bed with us, which leaves me curled up in a corner with no blankets. Wife is a side/sometimes back sleeper and I am a 99% side sleeper.

Current mattress has served me well, but I think we’re looking for something possibly a bit more firm. I’ve been dealing with lower back issues for the past 2 years and it’s about 75/25 on whether I get out of bed in the morning with pain that will barely let me bend over to tie my shoes. I have no idea if the bed is the source of the pain, but I’m guessing at 12 years old that it isn’t helping at all.

I bought this mattress from a brick and mortar store, and it was like buying a loving used car. I absolutely hated having to haggle over the price and wasting half my day. This has made me consider the beds in a box, such as Purple, Avocado, etc. Not having to deal with that poo poo is a massive upside for me, but then again, we can’t really test them before ordering, then being at the mercy of the small print on the 100-day trials.

I have a friend who loves his Avocado, but it seems all their marketing is super hippie and a good portion of the price is going to sourcing their cage free/organic/free range/vegan/whatever materials instead of the actual quality of the mattress itself. I don’t care if a whole nation had to die for the foam in my mattress to help my back pain.

It sounds like just about everyone in this thread loves their Purples, so they’re kind of the front runner for me so far. I’m not super crazy about the price of the Purple3 though. Is $700 for an extra inch of their space age stuff worth it? It seems a bit steep of a jump. I think my wife would prefer the Purple2, but I don’t know if it would be too firm for me. Could we get the 2, then swap it out with the 3 at the end of the trial period at no cost to us if we find it too firm? How big of a pain in the rear end do they make it?

My budget is undecided. If it’s something that’s magically going to get rid of my lovely, nagging back pain, then I have little issue with something in the mid-to-high $2k range, but that’s probably the max I’m willing to go. I have a couple of these pillows and I really like them, but would consider the Purple pillows and give these to my kids.

I looked at the original Purple and I like the price, but having a hybrid mattress would be nice. I’m just not sure if doubling that price will double our comfort. It looks like they're doing a 4th of July "sale" by having 10% off everything if you buy a mattress. Is this a legit sale, or one of those where they jack up the price 15% then "discount" it 10%?

Side note to the Mattress Firm guy: your posts rock and are super informative. Thank you for all of your posts in this thread.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 26, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Instead of constant edits, new post.

Just did the Purple online chat, and it seems that if we buy the Purple 2, decide it's too firm and want to exchange it for a 3, they deliver the 3, take the old 2 at the same time. No restocking/whatever fees. And they give us 30 days, or 100 - [how far we are into our original trial] days, whichever is longer, to evaluate the new mattress. That seems super easy.

Has anyone had to return/exchange a Purple? Curious how if it really is that easy/free. I don't recall any posts regarding it.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Instead of constant edits, new post.

Just did the Purple online chat, and it seems that if we buy the Purple 2, decide it's too firm and want to exchange it for a 3, they deliver the 3, take the old 2 at the same time. No restocking/whatever fees. And they give us 30 days, or 100 - [how far we are into our original trial] days, whichever is longer, to evaluate the new mattress. That seems super easy.

Has anyone had to return/exchange a Purple? Curious how if it really is that easy/free. I don't recall any posts regarding it.

Returning a purple is very easy. You email them and they offer several options for how to do it. They'll pay a company to haul it away, or you can donate it yourself to a local charity and just email them a picture of the donation slip. Often charities will send a truck to get it if you don't have a vehicle to bring it yourself.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Awesome, thanks! Seems pretty risk-free.

Just called my local MattFirm and they have all Purple models in stock, so I’m going to check out the 2/3 with the wife later today.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I looked at the original Purple and I like the price, but having a hybrid mattress would be nice. I’m just not sure if doubling that price will double our comfort. It looks like they're doing a 4th of July "sale" by having 10% off everything if you buy a mattress. Is this a legit sale, or one of those where they jack up the price 15% then "discount" it 10%?

Side note to the Mattress Firm guy: your posts rock and are super informative. Thank you for all of your posts in this thread.

It's a "legit" sale. Purple loses (or nearly loses) money on the Classic and the 2 at full price iirc. And MattFirm doesn't do the furniture store style mark-up-to-mark-down strategy.

For what it's worth, the Purple.3 is their best selling model.

That car salesman experience described earlier is 100% true of bed salesfolks a few years back. We're trying so hard to change that perception by enhancing experience, but it's difficult.

And I'm glad I could help! If you have MF questions hit me up. I think I've been generally helpful to to the folks who have sent me questions.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm interested in the Purple 2 (or 3, I'd need to try them out), but they're pricy even at a Queen and not King size.

I see Mattress Firm offers a payment option, so I'm wondering if I could put down most of the cost up front and pay off the rest over a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Annath posted:

I'm interested in the Purple 2 (or 3, I'd need to try them out), but they're pricy even at a Queen and not King size.

I see Mattress Firm offers a payment option, so I'm wondering if I could put down most of the cost up front and pay off the rest over a few months.

Purple does a 6 month 0% interest through Affirm. I did that just for fun.