Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Thermopyle posted:

For me, those are the two biggest downsides of Nest.

On the other hand, the UI/UX for Nest is far and away better than a home-grown system.

In my experience Nest has the best UI/UX out of all the cloud camera systems. I'm also not a professional reviewer who touches millions of cameras and their apps per week. Beside Nest, I've owned Arlo and Ring systems on top of a home-grown system using zoneminder and one using blue iris.

Forgot to add the $50/device annual fee for 5 days lookback. Need to weigh that against the cost of the extra hardware for roll your own.

Edit: $30 for additional cameras.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

As far as I saw there were two basic camps who were up in arms.

The first are the people who were convinced that they'd lose all their "Works With Nest" integrations forever. Those people are for the most part morons, because the majority of things that have "Works With Nest" features also have Google Assistant support and the most they might have to do is reconfigure their connections. I'd find it very hard to believe that there will be anything significant that previously had WWN integration but won't get updated to the Google version, except maybe a few older unsupported products that will never get an update again. Google should have been more clear about a transition plan but that's all I see them having done wrong for these users.

The second are people who dislike Google and are against the loss of the separate account system. They want to keep their Nest devices without having to join them in to the Google ecosystem. They have a legitimate complaint IMO, and this announcement changes nothing for them, but at the same time if they haven't seen the writing on the wall since the moment Google bought Nest they're not thinking straight.

Really you can reduce the complainers to one group, the one yelling at clouds. While I understand those people to an extent, you already pointed out my primary opinion which is why would they ever use Nest equipment if they're owned by Google?

I think the majority of people with Nests knew they're owned by Google and are well aware that Google has their Nest data and will be fine with using Google Assistant to handle their integrations. I imagine some, like me, bought Nest equipment specifically because of their association with Google's ecosystem.

I can understand hating clouds and hating data harvesting and wanting everything to work locally and all that, but come on, Nest has been a Google company for years, it was always going to go this way. And it was especially going to go this way once news stories started popping up about HACKERS USING YOUR CAMERAS TO TALK TO YOUR KIDS because of Nest passwords being reused and their 2FA and authentication system being garbage.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I feel like I made a big step today in home automation, I had my fans turn on and off based on the temperature.

:allears:

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
This might be a bit out of scope..

I'm looking for a self-monitored security system that allows for zones. There's a building with three areas, and some people need access to all three areas and some people must be kept to only one, etc. Three keypad/fob stations, one per area.

Having a hard time. Any suggestions?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Tapedump posted:

This might be a bit out of scope..

I'm looking for a self-monitored security system that allows for zones. There's a building with three areas, and some people need access to all three areas and some people must be kept to only one, etc. Three keypad/fob stations, one per area.

Having a hard time. Any suggestions?

An Elk M1 can do all of that, but it's not exactly the most user friendly system. I would think any of the traditional systems you get from a security installer could do the same stuff.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

We had a cat breakout the other night when one knocked the screen out of the window and explored our front and back yard at 4 in the morning. (The cat was found and brought back in thankfully.) However, now my wife is paranoid about the windows being left open. That, and with air conditioning seasons coming up, I was thinking about getting sensors. However, is there an option that isn't at $40 a window? I have 10 on my first floor alone that I wanted to put sensors in. Not to mention I was hoping to put in like two sensors in a window so I could tell if they were open "a crack", or if they're open past an inch or two.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I paid like 9€ a piece for the Aqara ones. They're Zigbee. Maximum sensing distance is 22mm per manual.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've been using tp-link kasa smart plugs to control lighting for my plants. I was thinking about getting one that can measure power use. I could continue with tp-link, but I wouldn't mind switching to a different brand that has a documented protocol. The tp-link stuff has been reverse engineered but I'd rather support someone that cares about interoperability. Anyone have a suggestion?

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

I've been using tp-link kasa smart plugs to control lighting for my plants. I was thinking about getting one that can measure power use. I could continue with tp-link, but I wouldn't mind switching to a different brand that has a documented protocol. The tp-link stuff has been reverse engineered but I'd rather support someone that cares about interoperability. Anyone have a suggestion?

I use a Sonoff S31 to monitor power on my washing machine. It doesn't have an end-of-cycle alarm so I monitor it (via MQTT) with Home Assistant to notify me when power drops below a threshold after a wash cycle.

I flashed it with Sonoff-Tasmota right away, which has very good community support. I gave the S31 a once-over when I had it open to connect the ISP programmer and the electronics look decent to me. It may be possible to flash Sonoff-Tasmota over the air, I'm not sure.

From what I can tell, Sonoff is pretty good about keeping things hackable, and it seems like Sonoff-Tasmota stuff will probably be around and functional at least as long as any one commercial IoT gadget service.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just wanted to post my experience with the Shelly Humidity and Temp sensors has been great once I got the auto discovery script working on HA, I know you can diy these type of sensors for like $10-15 but for $25 it comes with a battery and a nice little form factor. The reviews on Amazon are very skewed due to people not understanding how to do the initial setup.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I was posting in the NAS thread about Synology Surveillance Station but maybe that’s actually better here.

Does anyone use the geofences with DS Cam? When it works it’s great but it often fails to trigger and you seem to have to log into the app for it work which defeats the point. The app doesn’t stay logged in when you change from Wifi to cellular on IOS for me, is there a setting I’m missing?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Photex posted:

Just wanted to post my experience with the Shelly Humidity and Temp sensors has been great once I got the auto discovery script working on HA, I know you can diy these type of sensors for like $10-15 but for $25 it comes with a battery and a nice little form factor. The reviews on Amazon are very skewed due to people not understanding how to do the initial setup.
Do you have a good link or advice for these scripts? I got one before they hit amazon directly from the company but the documentation was hard to find, so it's kind of just a neat paperweight that I mostly have forgotten about at the moment.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

One Day Fish Sale posted:

I use a Sonoff S31 to monitor power on my washing machine. It doesn't have an end-of-cycle alarm so I monitor it (via MQTT) with Home Assistant to notify me when power drops below a threshold after a wash cycle.

I flashed it with Sonoff-Tasmota right away, which has very good community support. I gave the S31 a once-over when I had it open to connect the ISP programmer and the electronics look decent to me. It may be possible to flash Sonoff-Tasmota over the air, I'm not sure.

From what I can tell, Sonoff is pretty good about keeping things hackable, and it seems like Sonoff-Tasmota stuff will probably be around and functional at least as long as any one commercial IoT gadget service.

Thanks for the input, seems like Sonoff is quite popular with the DIY crowd. Gonna get a couple of these.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

I was posting in the NAS thread about Synology Surveillance Station but maybe that’s actually better here.

Does anyone use the geofences with DS Cam? When it works it’s great but it often fails to trigger and you seem to have to log into the app for it work which defeats the point. The app doesn’t stay logged in when you change from Wifi to cellular on IOS for me, is there a setting I’m missing?

Does anyone successfully use Home Assistant from a Synology NAS? After about 3 hours of messing around today to get around these DS Cam issues I think I'm done with HA on a Synology NAS, it's just too complicated for what is already a complicated thing (HA). It also seems like you can't really run Hass.io on a Synology NAS either.

Would I be better placed just to get a Pi and run Hass.io on that?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone successfully use Home Assistant from a Synology NAS? After about 3 hours of messing around today to get around these DS Cam issues I think I'm done with HA on a Synology NAS, it's just too complicated for what is already a complicated thing (HA). It also seems like you can't really run Hass.io on a Synology NAS either.

Couldn't you just do this and run it as a VM?

https://youtu.be/BbzZjnCSEjs

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Red_Fred posted:

I've been running it in a docker container on my Synology for nearly four years now with little issue. What problem are you having?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Ditto, I just added the Home Assistant image to docker on my Synology and that was it. It's been running for about a year now with zero issues.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I live in a small house in the middle of a big city and my husband wants us to get an alarm system. I'm not overly concerned about cost.

We already have a Google Homes/Minis/Nest doorbell/indoor/outdoor cameras set up, so we're looking at the Nest Secure. We'd go with the starter pack to cover the main floor, an extra sensor for the basement, and another sensor for the upstairs hallway.

I've read Google plans on allowing the Google speaker devices to begin acting as alarm sirens. In the near future, I'll also probably put in some smart lightbulbs (both inside and out) that I would like to setup start to flash on an alarm trigger.

This sound like a reasonable plan?

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 28, 2019

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Neon Belly posted:

I live in a small house in the middle of a big city and my husband wants us to get an alarm system. I'm not overly concerned about cost.

We already have a Google Homes/Minis/Nest doorbell/indoor/outdoor cameras set up, so we're looking at the Nest Secure. We'd go with the starter pack to cover the main floor, an extra sensor for the basement, and another sensor for the upstairs hallway.

I've read Google plans on allowing the Google speaker devices to begin acting as alarm sirens. In the near future, I'll also probably put in some smart lightbulbs (both inside and out) that I would like to setup start to flash on an alarm trigger.

Yeah until they shelve the whole system with no warning it should be good while it lasts.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

... Google things ...

I have Nest Secure, it's fine but it is essentially a closed system. Currently you can get access to the alarm state, but later this year when Works With Nest integration is killed I'm expecting that to go away. Today you could flash lights with a non-Google product looking at alarm state, tomorrow though you will rely on Google for that and I can't see a way to enable that trigger with Google tools. Nest Secure's sensors are also proprietary with no integration access so you will not be able to use those to trigger automations either, in my case I have a Nest sensor and a ZWave sensor on doors for light on/offs.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PBS posted:

I've been running it in a docker container on my Synology for nearly four years now with little issue. What problem are you having?

Getting it up and running on my NAS was easy enough but then when I went to do anything I needed hass.io for the plugins. Then all the paths were screwed up when following guides as they didn’t expect it to be in a Docker container.

The final straw for me was trying and failing to get it setup to be accessed externally using DuckDNS.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Getting it up and running on my NAS was easy enough but then when I went to do anything I needed hass.io for the plugins. Then all the paths were screwed up when following guides as they didn’t expect it to be in a Docker container.

The final straw for me was trying and failing to get it setup to be accessed externally using DuckDNS.

It's definitely more work on getting it integrated on Synology. For me it was fine adding things in until it came to a ZWave stick then I just shrugged and went the RPi route as it became effort to get it done. For DuckDNS though, use DuckDNS instructions to set up a DDNS host, then use Synology reverse proxy to point it to HA, no HA configuration should be required.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
What's the current go-to PVR software to record 3 or 4 camera streams?

I'd much, much prefer it to be Linux based or docker or some such. Then I can script it to rsync to offsite hard disks or somewhere like a NUC hidden in the loft in case of a burglary. Is that what people tend to do? Have a server recording in a cupboard somewhere but also syning with a small box hidden in the roof?

I'd rather set everything up myself than pay a subscription fee, because I know I could make a good job of it, with the right foresight and planning.

I currently only own one Hikvision tabletop camera but I'll be in the market for more cameras when I move house in a few months.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

apropos man posted:

What's the current go-to PVR software to record 3 or 4 camera streams?

I'd much, much prefer it to be Linux based or docker or some such. Then I can script it to rsync to offsite hard disks or somewhere like a NUC hidden in the loft in case of a burglary. Is that what people tend to do? Have a server recording in a cupboard somewhere but also syning with a small box hidden in the roof?

I'd rather set everything up myself than pay a subscription fee, because I know I could make a good job of it, with the right foresight and planning.

I currently only own one Hikvision tabletop camera but I'll be in the market for more cameras when I move house in a few months.

I'm still using Blue Iris in a windows VM because everything linux based was still a dumpster fire the last time I looked. It's recording to my NAS and I sync the files from there because f doing that in windows.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Dahua starlight cameras and Blue Iris. The software is $50 on ipcamtalk, and the developer is very active there. He's a bit snarky, but if you actually read the FAQ/setup guide and have a question, he'll answer.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Motronic posted:

I'm still using Blue Iris in a windows VM because everything linux based was still a dumpster fire the last time I looked. It's recording to my NAS and I sync the files from there because f doing that in windows.

Sounds like a plan. I could live with that, as I feel much more in control of my poo poo once it's on a Linux box.

Thanks as well, sharkytm.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

The main problem with zigbee is that it isn't zwave.

I can buy xiaomi zigbee sensors and buttons for 10 bucks

And now this post has me looking on GearBest for Xiaomi Aquara* sensors and the SmartThings forums trying to find a straight answer on if they work well together.

* Someone please tell Xiaomi that a "u" follows a "q"

Edit: anyone know a temperature & humidity sensor with at least 1°C precision (ideally 0.1°C), SmartThings compatible, zwave, ZigBee or otherwise, available for significantly less than the Aeotec Multisensor? As much as I love the Multisensor I have, it's pretty dear...

Edit again: the Monoprice ones I'm aware of... But ideally something I can mains power (not mandatory)

Edit a third time: Humm the Samsung SmartThings multipurpose sensors also look good at $30ish. Can get them in Canadian Lowes.

Also I can be talked into anything I've listed

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 2, 2019

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I have a bunch of the Xiaomi stuff arriving over the next few weeks (slowboat from banggood), including outdoor soil/temperature sensors and indoor temp/humidity sensors. Once it's all arrived i can provide some more info on how well it works, it seems pretty cheap so far and should integrate nicely into my Home Assistant setup.

The reason I choose the Xiaomi gear is because the guys who have large/complex home assistant setups seem to use it.
e.g. https://github.com/JamesMcCarthy79/Home-Assistant-Config

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm using Xiaomi stuff with HA, via a CC2531. Works fine and fast.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Slash posted:

I have a bunch of the Xiaomi stuff arriving over the next few weeks (slowboat from banggood), including outdoor soil/temperature sensors and indoor temp/humidity sensors.\

Please can you link to the specific items?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Please can you link to the specific items?

These are the parts i have ordered so far.

https://www.banggood.com/Original-X...ur_warehouse=CN
https://www.banggood.com/Original-X...ur_warehouse=CN
https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Flo...ur_warehouse=CN
https://www.banggood.com/New-Arriva...ur_warehouse=CN

They arrived today, note that the gateway has a chinese plug and will need an adaptor to plug it into the wall!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Some pretty good stuff coming to Homekit for those of us partly or fully in that ecomsystem.

https://homekitnews.com/2019/06/06/changes-and-additions-to-the-home-app-in-ios13-beta-1/

I might not need home assistant at all anymore.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Slash posted:

They arrived today, note that the gateway has a chinese plug and will need an adaptor to plug it into the wall!

How did it go? Also, did you order the Aqara gateway (wasn't linked)?

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
So our home has an old Vivint system the previous owners used. It already has door/window monitoring for all the areas we'd want with a motion sensor, an indoor camera, a smartlock for one of the doors, and a thermostat. We'd like to have a monitored security service, and got a quote from Vivint to reactivate it/upgrade a few things for $40/mo + $250 install for a new hub. Sounds like there's no contracts or cancellation fees as it seems like there were in the past.

It seems like it's on the more expensive side, but would have the upside of us having to do little to get it going. We're not very DIY and would prefer a system that requires as little input from us as possible. Would other monitored systems be able to use the stuff that's already installed, or would they require a fresh install to use some other system? Don't really care so much about adding things like cameras and whatnot (it was $250/camera to install + $5/mo per camera through Vivint, ugh), but would like at least to be able to monitor remotely and be able to open/lock the existing smartlock.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm looking for a device to monitor my home's power consumption in realtime. SCE calles these a "HAN device" or smart energy gateway. We have Smart Energy Meters and these can transmit data wirelessly to some monitoring devices. I don't want one that attaches to the breaker panel as our panel is outside and we don't have any open breaker slots available.

I have been using a Chai Pro device for the past couple years and it's worked just fine but it looks like the company shutdown suddenly with no announcement. As all the monitoring is done via their own cloud service, I don't have access to this data even though the hardware is still working fine.

Does anyone have any recommendations? There's a few of them on the market like Rainforest but a lot of them seem like zombie companies with products no longer available or no activity. I'd also like a solution that doesn't rely on a company's backend but I don't know if that's even possible.

Here's a couple I found but I have no clue if these companies are still in business or not.

https://bluelineinnovations.com/product-details
https://rainforestautomation.com/our-products/
http://www.wattvision.com/sensors/wattvision_sensors

It seems like something that had a few devices a couple years ago but had completely collapsed.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Sense: https://sense.com/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Sense: https://sense.com/

Unfortunately Sense needs to be installed into the breaker panel and needs an electrician to install which I don't want to do.

My smart reader already wirelessly broadcasts usage data to compatible Zigbee devices, I just can't find many companies taking advantage of it anymore.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

FCKGW posted:

Unfortunately Sense needs to be installed into the breaker panel and needs an electrician to install which I don't want to do.

My smart reader already wirelessly broadcasts usage data to compatible Zigbee devices, I just can't find many companies taking advantage of it anymore.

If you're willing to hack something together yourself, https://github.com/bemasher/rtlamr.

I'm sure someone's written implementation guides as well.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Huh, I didn't realize these were consumer products. My power company gave me one for free and its definitely a neat toy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just migrated over to a v4 Hubitat Elevation hub from SmartThings. It is excellent.

The user interface isn't as polished as SmartThings, which may influence the spouse acceptance factor if you are use the user interface. In my house we use Echos for voice control and automated rules for everything else, so the uglier (but much faster) interface is not a handicap.

The big pull for Hubitat: 100% local processing, so it's incredibly fast, and better for privacy. Finally, Bruce Ravenel of Rule Machine and webCoRE fame is active in the Hubitat community, and both apps are ported to Hubitat (and work 100% locally, except for the design interface of webCoRE).