Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

If you already don't trust Treasury why would you even want to hear what they have to say? I'm not going to bother digging it up if you've already dismissed it. It's probably boring and short on detail anyway.

I want to see what they say they know and how they know it.

By I don't trust I mean I don't believe just whatever they say, esp not second hand no offense. If they just have "yeah Maduro steals 70%" with no evidence then I'm also disinclined to just take it on faith. You don't consider the US Treasury department to be unbiased do you?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VitalSigns posted:

Who cares, even if 90% of the money were being stolen/wasted, the idea that taking away what food does make it to the people is somehow an improvement is insane.

Well I guess it's only insane if the value of lives in the Global South is worth more than zero in your personal calculus, if poor foreigners don't rate as human than yeah sure starve as many as it takes to mildly inconvenience someone you don't like.

i'm not sure who you're arguing with here

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

I want to see what they say they know and how they know it.

By I don't trust I mean I don't believe just whatever they say, esp not second hand no offense. If they just have "yeah Maduro steals 70%" with no evidence then I'm also disinclined to just take it on faith. You don't consider the US Treasury department to be unbiased do you?

I looked it up and the statement apparently comes from a joint press conference between US and Colombian prosecutors held in mid-2018. I could not find a transcript however so yeah, at this moment it is unsupported, I would guess it is a very rough figure. Once these new sanctions are in place we'll probably have a much clearer idea of what the Treasury department believes, since they will have to publish who is sanctioned and for what reason.

Otherwise most of their official statements stay relatively vague, except for those on people who have already been prosecuted.

https://www.fincen.gov/sites/default/files/advisory/2019-05-03/Venezuela%20Advisory%20FINAL%20508.pdf

Looking at this document I was surprised to see Alejandro Andrade Cedeno pled guilty to taking over $1 billion in bribes as national treasurer under Chavez. Andrade if you will recall, was Chavez's former bodyguard who lost his eye after Chavez accidentally hit him in the head with a bat/broom.

If you want a broader picture of how corruption is alleged to function in Venezuela, you can read some of the published indictments for PDVSA officials like this one:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1033901/download

These guys were caught in Spain and I think they all pled guilty.

I trust statements that can be verified. I feel pretty confident trusting that Andrade did steal many millions of dollars, because he kept posting pictures of his stupid horses on instagram from his Florida estate and he had no other way to get the kind of money he was flaunting. When the US Treasury says such and such company is a front, they are probably right because if they aren't the real owners are going to be awfully upset.

drat digging through US judicial and financial documents is a pain.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Condiv posted:

ok squalid, since you're confused, let me explain things for you. this is not the scenario I envisioned. this is the scenario that guaido's economic advisor envisioned. he wants to use market forces to distribute international aid only to those who really need it. yes it's stupid, but that's just the kind of person guaido is hanging out with

so, on to your issues with privatization. the generals would not be acting in their capacity as military figures, they would be acting as entrepreneurs in this case who would sell the "aid". you might say "that sounds corrupt" but it'd be ok because it'd be capitalism and that'd make trump and the rest of the first world happy. any other issues?

M & M Enterprises welcomes Guaidó into the syndicate

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Sounds like we really don't have good data on CLAP and it is worthless to speculate on the program itself. Similar with claims of mismanagement, particularly without acknowledging the circumstances, both external and internal. This isn't some dril tweet where maduro is pulling levers for "economy", "agriculture", etc.

Yeah - also, most of the sort of corruption people mention the Maduro government being guilty of is not particularly unusual for global south nations, and generally represents a tiny fraction of wealth lost for the people in those nations. Acting like it's relevant to severity of the crisis is pretty much nonsense; it's just brought up to try and sell a narrative of "Maduro directly causing his people to starve" (because the "directly causing" part is necessary to their argument that replacing him with anyone can only be an improvement, even if the person in question is someone like Guaido).

Similarly, people repeatedly talk about "gross mismanagement," carrying the implication that some hypothetical "competent" government would have averted the current situation (largely because this implication is necessary to their argument, since they need to argue that Maduro needs to go but don't have any real solutions to offer themselves). But it's hard to really get much specifics on this from the people arguing this point. The closest thing is probably blaming price controls, and while that may have some truth to it it's not like removing price controls by itself would be much of a solution. And I'm very hesitant to blindly trust this sort of point, since it's difficult to quantify the net impact of the US exacerbating the situation (both directly and indirectly, through making Venezuela more of a pariah state through its hostility towards it, though I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn years later that the US actually did more that we're aware of right now). So while it's not possible to lay significant blame for the status quo at the feet of the US, it's also not possible to articulate a clear argument of how the Maduro administration directly caused it (and a replacement would fix it).

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I reviewed the last several pages and I don't think anyone even argued that it was legal. Kind of an incredible act of gaslighting to not only aver that the seizure was legal but that its legality has already been explained at length, obviating any need to do so further. In fact I am confident that the seizure was not legal, and that the embassy protectors were charged as they were to avoid having to confront that fact.

Of course, these sort of disputes would have been adjudicated by the dispute resolution mechanisms of the Vienna Protocol itself - if the United States had not unilaterally withdrawn from those mechanisms in 2018 as a direct result of a Palestinian challenge to the proposed move of the US embassy to Jerusalem. Now, the United States acts in a lawless manner as usual and justifying itself with "might makes right" after the fact. By that law, and that law only, can the embassy seizure be justified.

This was a few pages back, but I'm wondering if anyone was able to point to a time this had been explained, particularly explained "at length".

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah - also, most of the sort of corruption people mention the Maduro government being guilty of is not particularly unusual for global south nations, and generally represents a tiny fraction of wealth lost for the people in those nations. Acting like it's relevant to severity of the crisis is pretty much nonsense; it's just brought up to try and sell a narrative of "Maduro directly causing his people to starve" (because the "directly causing" part is necessary to their argument that replacing him with anyone can only be an improvement, even if the person in question is someone like Guaido).

Similarly, people repeatedly talk about "gross mismanagement," carrying the implication that some hypothetical "competent" government would have averted the current situation (largely because this implication is necessary to their argument, since they need to argue that Maduro needs to go but don't have any real solutions to offer themselves). But it's hard to really get much specifics on this from the people arguing this point. The closest thing is probably blaming price controls, and while that may have some truth to it it's not like removing price controls by itself would be much of a solution. And I'm very hesitant to blindly trust this sort of point, since it's difficult to quantify the net impact of the US exacerbating the situation (both directly and indirectly, through making Venezuela more of a pariah state through its hostility towards it, though I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn years later that the US actually did more that we're aware of right now). So while it's not possible to lay significant blame for the status quo at the feet of the US, it's also not possible to articulate a clear argument of how the Maduro administration directly caused it (and a replacement would fix it).

Firstly Venezuela's corruption really is quite remarkable given compared to its neighbors. on the corruption perception index Venezuela is closer to Iraq and Afghanistan than it is to any other South American country. This is extra surprising because Venezuela was historically the wealthiest and most developed economy on the continent, and income is generally negatively related to corruption. In terms of perceived corruption, Venezuela is more similar to the poorest states in the world and those suffering from ongoing and brutal civil wars than it is to its immediate neighbors. It's a truly terrible performance.

I agree with you that stupid programs like CLAP don't account for the bulk of Venezuela's problems, rather the programs problems are simply exemplar of the wider idiocy and greed apparent in the Maduro government.

Venezuela's economic crisis stems primarily from the poor management of government spending. When oil revenues were high, Venezuela spent money on consumption as fast as possible, producing rapid growth during much of Chavez's time. However when oil prices plummeted after 2013, the Venezuelan state went into a period of severe austerity that explains the bulk of the contraction in Venezuelan GDP since that date.

Realistically no oil exporters can entirely avoid this kind of boom-bust cycle. However Chavez's fiscal policy was truly terrible, he seemingly did everything in his power to intensify the cycle. It was also often grossly irresponsible and self serving, in the years prior to Presidential elections he'd cut down on spending and start saving up cash, and then spend it all in a big flurry right before the election to boost his election chances. Under Chavez was also when corruption seriously began to sap the strength of the Venezuelan economy, devouring many of his economic development schemes before they even got a chance to get off the ground.

There are lots of ways the Venezuelan government could have handled the economy better, and it is easy to talk about them. I have repeatedly posted several economic papers in this thread describing some specific issues. Price controls are the obvious ones. Clearly it makes no sense to give gasoline away virtually for free. The currency controls are also idiotic, perhaps you could ask Ardennes to explain why as I think he knows more about that issue than I do. Also Venezuela probably needs foreign investment and expertise. I know people here hate that idea but I doubt there's any other realistic alternative for reconstructing the economy. It doesn't matter if it comes from China or Russia or America but it has to come from somewhere. None of this can solve the immediate problems, but you have to start somewhere.

I still cannot understand why you and so many other people keep talking about who is to "blame" for the Venezuelan economy. It makes no sense, I barely even understand what it is supposed to mean in the context of economic analysis. Maduro is to blame for bad policy like CLAP, but there are millions of people to blame for the present trend in Venezuela's GDP. Instead of talking about blame I'd rather talk about the proportion of observed trend attributable to sanctions vs fiscal policy vs macro-economic policy vs corruption vs commodity price shocks. We might not be able to agree but at least we won't be talking past each other about weird metaphysics.

I mean jesus just look at this graph. By the time US sanctions went into effect Venezuela was already on track to have a worse economic crisis than Ukraine after the fall of the Soviet Union. That is not the behavior of a normal economy.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Squalid posted:

Firstly Venezuela's corruption really is quite remarkable given compared to its neighbors. on the corruption perception index Venezuela is closer to Iraq and Afghanistan than it is to any other South American country. This is extra surprising because Venezuela was historically the wealthiest and most developed economy on the continent, and income is generally negatively related to corruption. In terms of perceived corruption, Venezuela is more similar to the poorest states in the world and those suffering from ongoing and brutal civil wars than it is to its immediate neighbors. It's a truly terrible performance

There are some issues with how corruption is defined and reported. Citations Needed did an episode on it that was pretty good: https://m.soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-73-western-medias-narrow-colonial-definition-of-corruption

It also seems like you are generally positing that all of Venezuela's problems started with Chavez, and that if the previous administration and/or neoliberalism was suffered instead, Venezuela would be...what...food self-sufficient and able to weather drops in oil prices?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Corky Romanovsky posted:

There are some issues with how corruption is defined and reported. Citations Needed did an episode on it that was pretty good: https://m.soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-73-western-medias-narrow-colonial-definition-of-corruption

It also seems like you are generally positing that all of Venezuela's problems started with Chavez, and that if the previous administration and/or neoliberalism was suffered instead, Venezuela would be...what...food self-sufficient and able to weather drops in oil prices?

There are obviously lots of issues with measuring corruption, as it is something that practically by definition goes unregulated and unmonitored. Besides these imperfect scales the best we can do is anecdotes, but those also paint a terrible picture of Venezuela.

All of Venezuela's problems did not start with Chavez. Things like gas subsidies were started under his predecessors. On lots of issues Chavez simply made the same mistakes of people who came before him, only exaggerated to a greater degree. Then of course he also added tons of new stupid problems as well.

Most likely any Venezuelan administration would have had to cut spending in 2014 following the fall in oil prices. However had Chavez built up larger reserves of foreign currency Venezuela would have had a much better buffer and the austerity would have hit less abruptly. I don't think Chavez could have achieved food self sufficiency, but his agricultural policies were a disaster. While his program of distributing state lands seems like it may have worked well, the second wave of land reform was an unmitigated failure by every possible metric. Chavez subsidized foreign food, while punishing domestic farmers with crippling price controls. The beneficiaries of land reform didn't receive promised seed or equipment, and as a result failed to produce, while previously productive land went fallow.

Realistically an alternative timeline without Chavez would not have escaped all the economic problems now facing Venezuela. However they probably would have done less badly in every respect, or at least I can't imagine how they could have done worse. At least a different President wouldn't be actively sabotaging the economy outside the oil sector.

edit: oh god i tried reading a transcript of that podcast and it is agonizing. Instead of criticizing sampling methodologies or anything interested they keep going on about how unfair the media is to Africa, it's unbearable. I can't stand proselytizing, they should really focus on their story instead of going on weird rambly moralistic asides. It does make me wonder how much Andrade paid in taxes on the billion dollars he stole from the Venezuelan people though. I hope el Assaimi remembers to report all his narcotrafficking profits.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 24, 2019

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I mean christ man, the food corporation of india has some leakage and corruption too and you don't see western liberals readying sanctions and cruise missile strikes. A program like CLAP, while anathema to rich countries, is not all that unique for developing nations.

Remember that Prime Minister who was involved in billions of dollars of actual corruption, bribing judges, drug trafficking, attempting to shift the country to an authoritarian government and just outright killing people? Really weird that nobody in the US talked about sanctions or bombing Italy though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'm not sure who you're arguing with here

The people implicitly justifying cutting off food aid to millions of people with "well it was probably all stolen anyway" and "well who cares if I'm right it doesn't matter", I thought that was obvious.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 24, 2019

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I still can't get past the claims from last page that people on the minimum wage can only afford 4 or 5 bags of rice and beans a month. That can't be possible. You'd have people rioting or starving all the time.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

536 posted:

I still can't get past the claims from last page that people on the minimum wage can only afford 4 or 5 bags of rice and beans a month. That can't be possible. You'd have people rioting or starving all the time.

As I've been reading though it I've noticed that this thread would have you believe a lot of things that clearly clash with observable reality. For example, the "thread consensus" seems to be that things in Venezuela are as bad as they can possibly be and people have nothing left to lose. In addition the government has basically no support whatsoever except from the people who they buy off, and the regular people are solidly united behind the opposition. Also the country is in a complete shambles and you can get a gun from basically anywhere.

The problem here, of course, is that if the situation on the ground was as it's described ITT, there is absolutely no possible way that a coup backed by the full support of the US and most of the rest of the western world and neighboring countries would have ended up as a complete wet fart. Yet it did. And it's at this point that the smell of bullshit starts to become quite overwhelming.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The coup only failed because Maduro rigged public opinion.

In a free and fair coup Guaido would have been swept into power on the shoulders of deliriously happy crowds cheering for the restoration of plantations and slaves to their rightful owners.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 24, 2019

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Squalid posted:

Firstly Venezuela's corruption really is quite remarkable given compared to its neighbors. on the corruption perception index

How the gently caress do you measure a "corruption perception index" and why should anyone take any of it seriously?

Oh ok lol I see, it's basically an updated version of this map:

Wikipedia posted:

ranks countries "by their perceived levels of public sector corruption, as determined by expert assessments and opinion surveys."

Wikipedia posted:

The 13 surveys/assessments are either business people opinion surveys or performance assessments from a group of analysts. Early CPIs used public opinion surveys The institutions are:
African Development Bank (based in Ivory Coast)
Bertelsmann Foundation (based in Germany)
Economist Intelligence Unit (based in UK)
Freedom House (based in US)
Global Insight (based in US)
International Institute for Management Development (based in Switzerland)
Political and Economic Risk Consultancy (based in Hong Kong)
The PRS Group, Inc., (based in US)
World Economic Forum
World Bank
World Justice Project (based in US)[8]

Countries need to be evaluated by at least three sources to appear in the CPI. The CPI measures perception of corruption due to the difficulty of measuring absolute levels of corruption.

Wikipedia posted:

A study published in 2002 found a "very strong significant correlation" between the Corruption Perceptions Index and two other proxies for corruption: black market activity and overabundance of regulation.

What a joke lol

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

America's Supreme Court ruled you can't be bribed as a politician unless you say it's a bribe so LOL at the idea of corruption indexes that we are using as an excuse for sanctions or war.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

America's Supreme Court ruled you can't be bribed as a politician unless you say it's a bribe so

I asked the World Bank their opinion and they don't think this is corrupt so who's the dummy now.

drat there's so much in this map, I never noticed before that it explicitly defines holding 2 million African Americans as slaves as "Enlightened", it doesn't even beat around the bush or ignore the slavery.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Corruption perception got so high in Brazil that we had to elect a nazi militia-gangster Trump-friend to get rid of it

Its going great, you guys should try that too.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Squalid posted:

edit: oh god i tried reading a transcript of that podcast and it is agonizing. Instead of criticizing sampling methodologies or anything interested they keep going on about how unfair the media is to Africa, it's unbearable. I can't stand proselytizing, they should really focus on their story instead of going on weird rambly moralistic asides. It does make me wonder how much Andrade paid in taxes on the billion dollars he stole from the Venezuelan people though. I hope el Assaimi remembers to report all his narcotrafficking profits.

it’s impossible and not even useful to understand perceptions of corruption, or anything else in geopolitics, without going on “moralistic asides”. What’s the point of analysis without an ethical and moral basis? There’s an extreme of only looking for answers that confirm your own pre-existing bias, and then there’s rudderless and bloodless technocratic “objectivity” which really only serves to reinforce ruling liberal ideology. I’d gamble to say you are closer to the latter, and probably not aware of it because it’d call into question a lot of your assumptions that you likely don’t even conceive of as assumptions.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Radish posted:

America's Supreme Court ruled you can't be bribed as a politician unless you say it's a bribe so LOL at the idea of corruption indexes that we are using as an excuse for sanctions or war.

wonder if it's a bit like those CATO institute FREEDOM INDEX things that would rank literal slave states as top 5 in freedom because they have very few environmental and labor regulations

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the only REAL freedom is the freedom to destroy the planet and peoples' lives for profits

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IIRC, "perceived corruption" is poo poo like "i have to pay my local gang/govt/food distributor/whatever something extra, or he'll not sell me the thing". Basically, mobster protection money but govt sanctioned.

Perceived corruption being high usually means the economy's not doing so good, so the corrupt people who want to stay on top of poo poo have to start skimming from the bottom since the bribes from the top aren't so good anymore.

This development is a real loving shocker in a capitalist market petrostate during times of low oil prices and even embargoes, surely. Chavez's/Maduro's flaw is they didn't finish the revolution.

Guillotine the landlords, get people farming. Food crisis could've been solved before it even began. Oil is a dead end anyway, either everyone transitions off it, or the only thing living in venezuela in 40 years is gonna be a toxic fungal jungle.

Though I guess doing that poo poo takes more effort than stuffing empanadas in your face all day.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

THS posted:

it’s impossible and not even useful to understand perceptions of corruption, or anything else in geopolitics, without going on “moralistic asides”. What’s the point of analysis without an ethical and moral basis? There’s an extreme of only looking for answers that confirm your own pre-existing bias, and then there’s rudderless and bloodless technocratic “objectivity” which really only serves to reinforce ruling liberal ideology. I’d gamble to say you are closer to the latter, and probably not aware of it because it’d call into question a lot of your assumptions that you likely don’t even conceive of as assumptions.

of course you need a moral basis for arguments. The problem is when you start confusing moral arguments with technical and empirical arguments. Western media may be unfair towards the developing world, but that is not actually an argument the methodology of the corruption index is flawed. They keep switching between statements of moral and principle to ones of observation, using highly affective words designed to illicit an emotion response. It is an effective argument strategy because it primes the audience to feel the way the speaker wants, rather than to judge the argument on its merits.

You can see this demonstrated if you can stomach watching Sean Hannity for a few seconds. He'll lead into a story by telling people how they should feel about something, and only then present his argument. Priming the pump

If you think my arguments are based in my pre-existing biases, why don't you try and attack my conclusions? Why don't you defend Chavez's land reform. Tell me all about how actually, it didn't crater corn output, that that is all western lies, and that Venezuelan sugar exports are actually up and FAO statistics on the matter are all capitalists lies. Why don't you defend Chavez on the basis of his own promises.

Why don't you defend the free gasoline, or currency controls? Or does literally no one believe in the Chavez economic program anymore? Maybe if he had been more of a bloodless technocrat who wouldn't have acted like a goddamn moron.

Oh oops, I'm slipping into a moral argument. See Chavez's policies were actually good at getting him reelected. Especially the way he seized the personal right to distribute state money as he saw fit, spending heavily during political cycles and then implementing austerity in between. From a political standpoint it was quite the technical achievement. I'm making the mistake of judging him from my own moral framework in which leaders have a "responsibility" to their people, and that they need to plan for things like "the future". Really this is just another form of cultural imperialism.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Trump has done more to keep Maduro in control than anybody else recently so I'd think all the people who just started paying attention to Venezuela would be happy about him.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Squalid posted:

of course you need a moral basis for arguments. The problem is when you start confusing moral arguments with technical and empirical arguments. Western media may be unfair towards the developing world, but that is not actually an argument the methodology of the corruption index is flawed. They keep switching between statements of moral and principle to ones of observation, using highly affective words designed to illicit an emotion response. It is an effective argument strategy because it primes the audience to feel the way the speaker wants, rather than to judge the argument on its merits.

You can see this demonstrated if you can stomach watching Sean Hannity for a few seconds. He'll lead into a story by telling people how they should feel about something, and only then present his argument. Priming the pump

If you think my arguments are based in my pre-existing biases, why don't you try and attack my conclusions? Why don't you defend Chavez's land reform. Tell me all about how actually, it didn't crater corn output, that that is all western lies, and that Venezuelan sugar exports are actually up and FAO statistics on the matter are all capitalists lies. Why don't you defend Chavez on the basis of his own promises.

Why don't you defend the free gasoline, or currency controls? Or does literally no one believe in the Chavez economic program anymore? Maybe if he had been more of a bloodless technocrat who wouldn't have acted like a goddamn moron.

Oh oops, I'm slipping into a moral argument. See Chavez's policies were actually good at getting him reelected. Especially the way he seized the personal right to distribute state money as he saw fit, spending heavily during political cycles and then implementing austerity in between. From a political standpoint it was quite the technical achievement. I'm making the mistake of judging him from my own moral framework in which leaders have a "responsibility" to their people, and that they need to plan for things like "the future". Really this is just another form of cultural imperialism.

Chavez rolled out massive social democratic welfare programs without fundamentally changing anything regarding the structure of Venezuela’s market economy. The problem is one of merely subsidizing the output of a private economy. That’s a recipe for inefficiency and graft. Chavez made huge blind fuckups because he wasn’t a neoliberal technocrat nor was he much of a Marxist, but tried redistribution anyway, and failed to wrest power from the upper classes who are now trying to win control of the state back with the backing of the US empire.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes the Western media lies about the Global South constantly all the time about everything, but that's not an empirical argument not to trust their reporting on the genetically-programmed thievery of the savage races of the globe, nor their prescriptions that Venezuelan children must be starved for their own good.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

536 posted:

I can't keep up with how fast prices rise in Venezuela, nor do I want to for my mental health. However, it was already true when I last was in the country almost a year and a half ago the minimum wage wasn't enough to feed a single person during an entire month. People who depend entirely on a salary are hosed so everyone tries to do whatever they can to bring in some extra income. My mother's a hairdresser at a nice place and she wouldn't be able to feed herself if I didn't send money home.

Why aren't people constantly rioting? Because everyone's busy wondering how they're going to afford food and when people do protest they government is quick to crack down on them.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Squalid posted:

What is corruption if not a moral judgment?

"Methodologies," jfc.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 24, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

THS posted:

Chavez rolled out massive social democratic welfare programs without fundamentally changing anything regarding the structure of Venezuela’s market economy. The problem is one of merely subsidizing the output of a private economy. That’s a recipe for inefficiency and graft. Chavez made huge blind fuckups because he wasn’t a neoliberal technocrat nor was he much of a Marxist, but tried redistribution anyway, and failed to wrest power from the upper classes who are now trying to win control of the state back with the backing of the US empire.

ah there we go, that's the historical materialism I've been missing! I admit I'm sometimes frustrated with people go on and on about narratives, who it often seems have abandoned scientific analysis of our relations to the means of production and embraced some kind of strange psuedo-Nietzschean philosophy, in which the world can be made into anything we will. I'm not sure what to call that world view but it is definitely not Marxism.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Lobbyists aren't corruption because

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The world *can* be made into anything we will. It's just the "we" is these days mostly billionaire capitalists, and they chose destitution and destruction, because it makes the number go up faster.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Squalid posted:

ah there we go, that's the historical materialism I've been missing! I admit I'm sometimes frustrated with people go on and on about narratives, who it often seems have abandoned scientific analysis of our relations to the means of production and embraced some kind of strange psuedo-Nietzschean philosophy, in which the world can be made into anything we will. I'm not sure what to call that world view but it is definitely not Marxism.

I think you need both, because a materialist analysis without a narrative is just academic. Politics requires a narrative and will.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Squalid posted:

There are obviously lots of issues with measuring corruption, as it is something that practically by definition goes unregulated and unmonitored. Besides these imperfect scales the best we can do is anecdotes, but those also paint a terrible picture of Venezuela.

All of Venezuela's problems did not start with Chavez. Things like gas subsidies were started under his predecessors. On lots of issues Chavez simply made the same mistakes of people who came before him, only exaggerated to a greater degree. Then of course he also added tons of new stupid problems as well.

Most likely any Venezuelan administration would have had to cut spending in 2014 following the fall in oil prices. However had Chavez built up larger reserves of foreign currency Venezuela would have had a much better buffer and the austerity would have hit less abruptly. I don't think Chavez could have achieved food self sufficiency, but his agricultural policies were a disaster. While his program of distributing state lands seems like it may have worked well, the second wave of land reform was an unmitigated failure by every possible metric. Chavez subsidized foreign food, while punishing domestic farmers with crippling price controls. The beneficiaries of land reform didn't receive promised seed or equipment, and as a result failed to produce, while previously productive land went fallow.

Realistically an alternative timeline without Chavez would not have escaped all the economic problems now facing Venezuela. However they probably would have done less badly in every respect, or at least I can't imagine how they could have done worse. At least a different President wouldn't be actively sabotaging the economy outside the oil sector.

None of this is corruption, though. When challenged on your assertions of corruption, you keep deflecting by talking about poor fiscal policy, which isn't even close to the same thing.

Rather than blame, though, I'd prefer to talk about solutions. And even if there's no corruption forever, Venezuela isn't getting out of this hole as long as they're on America's shitlist. Their dependence on global markets made them vulnerable to begin with, and with their production and exports in decline, they won't easily recover even if the US gives up on its program of economic warfare against Venezuela. They've been pushed into a situation where they likely can't pull their economy back together without assistance and patronage from a major power, and the major power that put them into that situation is going to attach plenty of strings to any aid that gets given.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Main Paineframe posted:

None of this is corruption, though. When challenged on your assertions of corruption, you keep deflecting by talking about poor fiscal policy, which isn't even close to the same thing.

Rather than blame, though, I'd prefer to talk about solutions. And even if there's no corruption forever, Venezuela isn't getting out of this hole as long as they're on America's shitlist. Their dependence on global markets made them vulnerable to begin with, and with their production and exports in decline, they won't easily recover even if the US gives up on its program of economic warfare against Venezuela. They've been pushed into a situation where they likely can't pull their economy back together without assistance and patronage from a major power, and the major power that put them into that situation is going to attach plenty of strings to any aid that gets given.

yeah, I've been mulling over what President Sanders should do in 2021 other than drop the sanctions

I'm kinda leaning towards letting it be somebody else's problem and just backing whatever the UN or the ICG decides on and maybe doing something domestically to discourage the finance industry from bribing the PSUV into selling the country. Multilateralism is an inherent good anyway.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Whoa wait which assertion am I supposed to be defending here? I’m sorry I’ve made about a million different ones in the last page and it’s kinda hard to keep track, help me out here

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bob le Moche posted:

How the gently caress do you measure a "corruption perception index" and why should anyone take any of it seriously?

Oh ok lol I see, it's basically an updated version of this map:

What a joke lol

TI is also heavily funded by the Clinton Foundation and a ton of other American organizations that it's probably safe to say have an axe to grind.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bob le Moche posted:

well thank god we bombed Libya, look at that corruption index, we practically had to

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah, I've been mulling over what President Sanders should do in 2021 other than drop the sanctions

I'm kinda leaning towards letting it be somebody else's problem and just backing whatever the UN or the ICG decides on and maybe doing something domestically to discourage the finance industry from bribing the PSUV into selling the country. Multilateralism is an inherent good anyway.

Drop the sanctions and send actual food aid? The US has more food then they know what to do with.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
its true, the very concept of degrees of corruption is an imperialist fraud, after all how can having to bribe officials on a regular basis to live a normal life be any different than corporations lobbying for laws that screw people over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Squalid posted:

What proselytizing? This is a pretty straight forward takedown of the idea that corruption is what's damaging these countries.

quote:

Adam: The part of the book that really popped was this idea of corruption and you begin to sort of dig into it and then you really start to think about what this concept means. So let’s begin with some basic numbers. According to Hickel’s research, the UN Convention Against Corruption, which targets a very specific and narrow definition of corruption, that which is carried about by the leaders and officials via bribery and theft, it costs poor countries an estimated $20 to $40 billion a year. This is the corruption we typically talk about when we talk about poor countries being corrupt. This is certainly a sizable sum and is worth tackling in and of itself but to put it in proper context as a total percent of illicit outflows from poor countries every year it barely is 3 percent.

Nima: By contrast, the group, Global Financial Integrity or GFI, which is a nonprofit based out of Washington, they calculate that the other 97 percent of illicit outflows — which is basically just a fancy word for any illegal movement of money from one country to another — is of a very different nature, one almost never talked about by our media. 65 percent of this total theft comes in the form of commercial tax evasion. Over a trillion dollars — trillion with a ‘T’ — flows illegally out of developing countries and into illegal tax havens overseas every year. So, just to put some of these statistics about tax havens in context, these are some of the figures. 30 percent of total foreign direct investment flows are booked through tax havens. Basically about one sixth of all private wealth on Earth is stored in tax havens. A total of $32 trillion — again, trillion with a ‘T’ — is held in tax havens, which to put that itself in context, that $32 trillion, that’s nearly half the size of the global GDP.