Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yell at his post.

"BREAK!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

exmachina posted:

No, the Landsraad will. Polygamy leads to succession crises,

How so? Paul's the ducal heir and his mother was just a concubine. If bastards are still legitimate heirs, then how does polygamy lead to succession crises?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1131691548230471681

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

#duh
#youthinkso

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want me some Caladan Retsina wine.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Pee is stored in the stillsuit

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tell me of your home baklava recipe, Usul

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Phanatic posted:

How so? Paul's the ducal heir and his mother was just a concubine. If bastards are still legitimate heirs, then how does polygamy lead to succession crises?
Paul is the heir because his mother is a "bound concubine." If he wanted, Leto could keep a harem of lesser concubines whose children couldn't inherit. If Leto married someone else, their children would take precedence over Paul. He didn't marry Jessica because the remote possibility of a political marriage was a useful tool. This is the kind of aristocratic antics upon which wars of succession are built.

Also, did y'all miss the cult of psychic ninja witches that's insinuated itself into every Great House to control their lines of succession?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's like I tell my girlfriend who has been waiting six years for me to propose.

History will call you wife.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

There's also Feyd's situation, where he's legitimate family, but only a potential successor. The Baron has to designate an heir, and the Emperor must approve his choice.

I've always wondered about this passage:

Count Fenring posted:

"Um-m-m-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m, you come upon such, mm-m-m, preciseness so rarely," the Count said, addressing the Baron's shoulder. "I . . . ah, congratulate you on the hm-m-m perfection of your ah-h-h heir. In the light of the hm-m-m elder, one might say."
"You are too kind," the Baron said. He bowed, but Feyd-Rautha noted that his uncle's eyes did not agree with the courtesy.

Is this a burn on the Baron, Rabban, or both? Or neither? I guess you can read it every single way, which is great.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Uh, their name isn’t from Agamemnon the Greek guy in the Trojan war they’re named after Agamemnon the cyber dictator who served under and later betrayed Lord Cybertrex

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Halloween Jack posted:

Paul is the heir because his mother is a "bound concubine." If he wanted, Leto could keep a harem of lesser concubines whose children couldn't inherit. If Leto married someone else, their children would take precedence over Paul. He didn't marry Jessica because the remote possibility of a political marriage was a useful tool. This is the kind of aristocratic antics upon which wars of succession are built.

But then the bound concubines can also trigger succession crises, but the landsraad is okay with them. How would
polygamy be any more likely to trigger a succession crisis than just having multiple kids with the same wife? Birth order would control, unless it wouldn’t, and the “it wouldn’t” cases don’t seem to be unique to polygamy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Because the wives, unlike the concubines, would be noblewomen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think the idea here is that Jessica is considered a legitimate wife but is not considered to be an aristocrat in the sense of having lands and so on. If Leto had married another noble then their child or children would inherit, presumably, both of their properties, though they might work out something where Child 1 gets mom's planet and Child 2 gets Caladan.

The complication here is if Leto marries two noblewomen and they both have their own planet, and then even if they divide things, maybe child 2 is like "Why don't I get planet 3? My mom's from planet 3, I deserve it" and child 3 is like "I should get all three planets" and then they raise armies and fight each other and gently caress things up.

If Paul had let Irulan ride the worm then Irulan's children would have had a stronger claim on the imperial seat than Leto II did and ideally you want nobody else having any claim at all.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think it's kinda funny that nobody has any qualms about a royal duke marrying a Bene Gesserit. Like I think, secrets or not, that people would have developed an opinion on that. It would get out that they're super killing machines.

How can these mentats not come to the conclusion about them

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The BGs have implicitly married everyone of note for millennia. Besides not really weird if the emperor of the known universe is doing it. Reading between the lines, it seems like they have a monopoly on the education of young women of rank.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

The BGs have implicitly married everyone of note for millennia. Besides not really weird if the emperor of the known universe is doing it. Reading between the lines, it seems like they have a monopoly on the education of young women of rank.

Oh, so it's less about most BG becoming noblewomen, and more about most noblewomen becoming BG. That makes sense.

(How much of all this is thoughtful world-building and rumination upon gender roles throughout history, and how much is Herbert tpying one-handed about an unstoppable conspiracy of space babes wanting to bone everyone?)

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Phanatic posted:

Paul is only the heir as long as Leto is unmarried. So Leto can dangle the offer of marriage to Great Houses. It is explicitly in the text.

exmachina fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 24, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

Oh, so it's less about most BG becoming noblewomen, and more about most noblewomen becoming BG. That makes sense.

(How much of all this is thoughtful world-building and rumination upon gender roles throughout history, and how much is Herbert tpying one-handed about an unstoppable conspiracy of space babes wanting to bone everyone?)

The older I get the more I realize the truth.

It starts with the solitary grain of an idea. What if chicks could completely control their vaginal muscles?

pulls out box of kleenex

What if they found patterns in their controlled movements to make it feel better and then build on it?

zip

What if they could like, amplify pleasure and like tighten it to simultaneously prevent premature ejaculation?

fap

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

and then what if like, they could enslave men with their super loving tight cooters mmph yeah oh poo poo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What I wanna know is how do they maintain control after the dude nuts

Awesome at making snacks for afters?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
To conclude: If Herbert had access to gross anime, it is probable Dune would never have been created.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

nifty archive: bisexual mind control pussy women ver 2.0 (mc nc watersports chairdog blue balls) by Fr34ky_Fr4nK420

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tree Bucket posted:

To conclude: If Herbert had access to gross anime, it is probable Dune would never have been created.

I'm honestly shocked there hasn't been an animu/mangi adaptation of Dune yet.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nobody tell him.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

He who controls the spice, controls the yaoi-verse.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

People always talking about Bernie Bros like they haven't even heard of the Bernie Gesserit Sisterhood, but I think a big part of that is that certain pussy muscles are extremely fearsome and silence all discussion of their existence. Many Duncans died little-deaths to bring us this information.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Prolonged Priapism posted:

There's also Feyd's situation, where he's legitimate family, but only a potential successor. The Baron has to designate an heir, and the Emperor must approve his choice.

I've always wondered about this passage:

Is this a burn on the Baron, Rabban, or both? Or neither? I guess you can read it every single way, which is great.
I believe it's a reference to Abulurd Rabban of Lankiveil, one of the planets that Baron Harkonnen took over. It seems like he adopted Feyd-Rautha and Glossu Rabban, Abulurds sons? And he then gave Feyd-Rautha his name so he would be heir-apparent, I think. It's not entirely clear in the 6 books, and there are no other books that explain it in more detail (I don't think the Dune Encyclopedia goes into it, but it's been a while since I read it).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 24, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Abulurd was his demibrother too, and we don’t really know enough about him to say if the line could refer to him. I think knowing Fenring, the line makes the most sense as being a deliberate burn on the Baron, but one he can claim was actually about Rabban if the Baron complains, thereby burning the Baron again.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Did any of the books ever explain what a demi-brother was? I just assumed it was like an illegitimate half brother from a concubine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

skasion posted:

Also, when it's legal for your political rivals to knife your baby in the crib, having a ninja be the mother of your children is a very appealing prospect.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Uh, their name isn’t from Agamemnon the Greek guy in the Trojan war they’re named after Agamemnon the cyber dictator who served under and later betrayed Lord Cybertrex

I've only read the first three books (so none of the prequels) so I gotta ask, is this legit poo poo that is in them because lmao at "Lord Cyber T-Rex"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Super Waffle posted:

Did any of the books ever explain what a demi-brother was? I just assumed it was like an illegitimate half brother from a concubine.

who knows might be some bene gesserit poo poo

From what I remember of the (ugh) prequel books, Lady Jessica is the daughter of RM Gaius Helen Mohiam and Baron Harkonnen. This is pre-fat days so the Baron is super athletic, but not at all into ladies and not into the BG at all. So they make some sort of deal where they knock boots and she takes his "genetic material"

But then there's some double-crossing of the Harkonnens, a deal falls through. Mohiam has to go back to the baron and get more "material" but the Baron manages to paralyze her temporarily and essentially rapes her. And during the rape, she manufactures a toxin inside herself which she passes to the Baron which causes his transformation into Veruca Salt.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MA-Horus posted:

who knows might be some bene gesserit poo poo

From what I remember of the (ugh) prequel books, Lady Jessica is the daughter of RM Gaius Helen Mohiam and Baron Harkonnen. T

I think this idea came from Children, when Alia starts channeling the Baron, and I think is even mentioned in the original Dune, when she tells Paul something like "I killed our grandfather"

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Baron being Jessica's father is made perfectly clear, Mohaim being her mother is an invention of Brian's books afaik

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think this idea came from Children, when Alia starts channeling the Baron, and I think is even mentioned in the original Dune, when she tells Paul something like "I killed our grandfather"
Paul thinks about it first during his and his mothers first night in the desert when he gets a previously-never-experienced dose of melange that gives him prescient dreams, I think?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

a kitten posted:

The Baron being Jessica's father is made perfectly clear, Mohaim being her mother is an invention of Brian's books afaik

Um I believe you meant to say Dune Author’s books

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Lol that Brian Herbert! "Finally the fans will discover the heretofore untold mystery of what made the Baron so fat. It was bad pussy!"

@duneauthor indeed

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mohiam being Jessica’s mom comes from the Dune Encyclopedia. In Children, the BG breeding records give Jessica’s mom another name (Tanidia) but the prequels claim that’s just alias Mohiam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So @DuneAuthor truly is the Midas of poo poo huh.