Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

You should totally do the writeup! Thanks for the links. I've seen that video but the papers were new to me.

I'd definitely recommend these sorts of materials to anyone who doesn't know where to get started with level creation or who just wants some tips on how to make your levels better. Even a simple level that sticks closely to the types of pattern listed in that first link can be a fun romp, and understanding the basics makes you better equipped to come up with standout deviations from the Nintendo formula.

Not sure if this was ever posted in this thread, but here's a good Game Maker's Toolkit video that talks about Mario level design philosophies before applying them to building a Mario Maker stage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0c5Le1vGp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember getting to world 3-1 in SMB1 for the first time, and being kind of blown away. That's weird, given that I had never experienced anything like this entire game in my life, and prior to 3-1, there were underground levels, water levels, sky/suspended platform levels. Yet there was something super charming to me (even though I didn't know exactly that it was charming at the time... I was 6) about the black background, but especially that first time when you get to a bridge, and there are little waves of water underneath it. My imagination started thinking about what it must be like to be IN the game itself, walking across a bridge, looking down at weird, videogame water. I don't know why I gave that little part more attention than anything in the rest of the game, but I did, and since then, I've absolutely loved that look.

I can't wait to make little water bridges in SMB1 night levels :3:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember getting to world 3-1 in SMB1 for the first time, and being kind of blown away. That's weird, given that I had never experienced anything like this entire game in my life, and prior to 3-1, there were underground levels, water levels, sky/suspended platform levels. Yet there was something super charming to me (even though I didn't know exactly that it was charming at the time... I was 6) about the black background, but especially that first time when you get to a bridge, and there are little waves of water underneath it. My imagination started thinking about what it must be like to be IN the game itself, walking across a bridge, looking down at weird, videogame water. I don't know why I gave that little part more attention than anything in the rest of the game, but I did, and since then, I've absolutely loved that look.

I can't wait to make little water bridges in SMB1 night levels :3:

Oh, never thought I'd encounter someone who shares my opinion!
3-1 was special to me, and later on, when I didn't have anything to play it on, that was the level I was most nostalgic about. It's a very good level, and I think white pipes alongside black bacgrounds make it look incredible! And yeah, if I remember correctly, it's the only level with a little lake in it. Doesn't do anything, you still fall down, but it sure is prettier than a normal pit. I think Mario Maker still doesn't look quite right with its little stars, but eh, not like I'm going to complain that my SMB1 night level isn't as pretty.

I do hope you can switch the night version gimmicks off, sinse I generally like night levels more, but it's really not a big deal if you can't.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I remember being so excited about reaching 3-1 that I ran into the stairwell and busted my head open, requiring me to go to the hospital and get stitches.

I hope my Mario Maker levels give kids the same experience I had.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

huh, World 3 was my favorite world growing up, too (once i finally got good enough to get that far). Something about that black background with no underground or water levels that always made it the coolest and most enjoyable place to go through

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i kept misreading that as mario 3 world 3 and was like "gently caress yeah i like water levels too"

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Decided to get back on SA for the first time in years to follow this one. I had a good time playing SA levels in 2015. Can't wait!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Count me in as somebody who loved SMB1 world 3 also. But as a kid I didn't think of them as "night time" levels because every other thing in the level was still fully bright, unlike a game like Zelda 2 where dark caves showed everything in a dark blue hue.

SMB world 3 seemed a lot more like some secret place I wasn't supposed to be in or something, like a kind of nonsensical video-game place where unused assets were kept, which of course made it top shelf cool for me at the time.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 23, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Looking back at Mario Maker 1, if you used the 8-bit Amiibo mushrooms all the enemies would get silly reskins of luigi or toad or mario.

If you reskin Bowser though;

Wonder if Odyssey's finale was already decided at this point :v:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cojawfee posted:

My checkpoints turn Mario into Weird Mario.

We sure Weird Mario is in?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm excited to make a bunch of new awful levels

I kind of wanna replay my old ones but I'd have to go to my mother's and convince my little brother to hook the Wii U back up

Relevant Tangent posted:

We sure Weird Mario is in?

Why would a sequel for this kind of game remove content

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean, mystery mushrooms.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I honestly didn't care that much about Mario Maker when it was on the Wii U because it would require buying a Wii U and :effort:

This is why I'm surprised that I'm so loving hype for MM2. I'm gonna make a couple bad courses but mostly play other people's stuff. Maybe making something will get catchy to me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm just happy comments are back. I adore making levels and testing the hell out of them so whenever I got fanart or people complimenting them it just made my entire day.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

Nintendo tends to do that kind of thing for who knows why.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weird Mushrooms better get in since that would mean we’d get Weird Luigi, Weird Toad and Weird Toadette. If for some reason it isn’t, I hope there’s another way to implement Luigi physics, considering he’s actually playable now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Weird Mushroom was in the 3DS version, so I don't think it's leaving. From what I understand the MM dev team loves that stupid thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope there’s more weird out of left field poo poo in 2. That was some of my favorite stuff in 1. I hope the fly swatter game is in again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Two things I'm super hyped about;

-Not having to share my profile with my stupid little brother
-Being able to race my stupid little brother in courses and beat him horribly/lose embarrassingly

We spent a ton of time just passing the controller off to one another doing course runs. Its gonna be so cool actually being able to play the game together properly.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm gonna make a level with bowsette

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Oh, never thought I'd encounter someone who shares my opinion!
3-1 was special to me, and later on, when I didn't have anything to play it on, that was the level I was most nostalgic about. It's a very good level, and I think white pipes alongside black bacgrounds make it look incredible! And yeah, if I remember correctly, it's the only level with a little lake in it. Doesn't do anything, you still fall down, but it sure is prettier than a normal pit. I think Mario Maker still doesn't look quite right with its little stars, but eh, not like I'm going to complain that my SMB1 night level isn't as pretty.

I do hope you can switch the night version gimmicks off, sinse I generally like night levels more, but it's really not a big deal if you can't.

Oh yay! So I'm not alone in preferring world 3 over everything else. It's funny; the same goes for world 3 from SMB2/USA, because I don't remember a time when I didn't know about the warp in world 1-3, and I'd use it so often, I'd miss out on world 3.

World 2 I saw enough during every aborted attempt to go through the whole game legit. Everyone could make it to world 2.

World 3 (in SMB2) just seemed so weird, and like an advanced version of world 1. It had shortcuts, different paths through levels, a harder Mouser (the best boss, btw :colbert:) and the only red Snifit in the entire game.

I mean, right off the bat, you're rewarded by falling down a waterfall, something that is kind of taught to you as what not to do.

Yay world threes! :toot:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope there’s another way to implement Luigi physics, considering he’s actually playable now.

Night sky + ice might be an interesting combo. I’m not sure whether it will be like Luigi.

Overbite posted:

I'm gonna make a level with bowsette

I’m going to make a level with Meowsette, because combining things to the point of insanity is the Mario Maker way.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i'm gonna make you surf the lava snakes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Phantasium posted:

i'm gonna make you surf the lava snakes

Riiiiiiiiide the snaaaaaake

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm gonna make an underground level with an identical sub-area but the sub-area is upside down and all the switches are on, where the main area all the switches are off.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Riiiiiiiiide the snaaaaaake

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh yay! So I'm not alone in preferring world 3 over everything else. It's funny; the same goes for world 3 from SMB2/USA, because I don't remember a time when I didn't know about the warp in world 1-3, and I'd use it so often, I'd miss out on world 3.

World 2 I saw enough during every aborted attempt to go through the whole game legit. Everyone could make it to world 2.

World 3 (in SMB2) just seemed so weird, and like an advanced version of world 1. It had shortcuts, different paths through levels, a harder Mouser (the best boss, btw :colbert:) and the only red Snifit in the entire game.

I mean, right off the bat, you're rewarded by falling down a waterfall, something that is kind of taught to you as what not to do.

Yay world threes! :toot:

I loved World 3 in SMB. I thought all the trees and plans were cotton and it was just so fun :allears:

Can’t wait for this game

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Here's Arino loving around with Mario Maker 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX8ji-GT1PI

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

Here's Arino loving around with Mario Maker 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX8ji-GT1PI

hell yeah

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't wait to spend hours and hours poring over the tiniest detail in my level once I have the general gameplay of it figured out.

Any idea what kind of 'fluff' we can put in a given level? Like decorations, I mean. For example, the trees and/or clouds in SMB1. Do they just show up whwrever, or do you actually place those yourself, too?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can't wait to spend hours and hours poring over the tiniest detail in my level once I have the general gameplay of it figured out.

Any idea what kind of 'fluff' we can put in a given level? Like decorations, I mean. For example, the trees and/or clouds in SMB1. Do they just show up whwrever, or do you actually place those yourself, too?

The first Maker would have random "fluff" show up sometimes when playing tiles. What it was depended on the level theme.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can copy and paste the tiles with the fluff you want though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Basically what you do is draw a straight line, stuff randomly pops up on the blocks. Copy/Drag those blocks and now you've got a clump of bushes, trees of various heights etc. Now Copy/Paste that to your heart's content.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
MM2 will by my first Mario Maker game, and I'm really interested in getting real familiar with exactly how the skinner box aspect of Mario works.

For example, how many coins can I shower Mario in before the little "ca-ting!" sound effect doesn't trigger the reward center of my brain anymore.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 24, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

MM2 will by my first Mario Maker game, and I'm really interested in getting real familiar with exactly how the skinner box aspect of Mario works.

For example, how many coins can I shower Mario in before the little "ca-ting!" sound effect doesn't trigger the reward center of my brain anymore.

If you really want to test your limits, play New Super Mario Bros. 2

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm less interested in how hard the game can get and more interested in the whole psychological tension and release element of playing a video game. What's the perfect ratio of how hard the player needs to work to feel maximally rewarded when he gets a reward, and how much of a reward can you give the player before giving him more reward doesn't make him feel more excited?

Like... will dumping 150 coins in front of Mario after a hard segment really feel more rewarding than 20 or 30 coins, or will players feel about the same level of dopamine either way, as long as their brain registers "big reward" or something. So like if I put Mario at the bottom of a big coin funnel and have a bunch of coins fall onto him, will that do it? Will it feel less rewarding if Mario just stands there, even if he's just done something tough? Will it be more rewarding if I put Mario in a similar, but larger coin funnel so the player has to run and jump around just a little bit to get all of them? How many coins, etc?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 24, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I know I beat that game and I couldn't tell you a thing about it that wasn't "they want you to grab a lot of coins."

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

I'm less interested in how hard the game can get and more interested in the whole psychological tension and release element of playing a video game. What's the perfect ratio of how hard the player needs to work to feel maximally rewarded when he gets a reward, and how much of a reward can you give the player before giving him more reward doesn't make him feel more excited?

Like... will dumping 150 coins in front of Mario after a hard segment really feel more rewarding than 20 or 30 coins, or will players feel about the same level of dopamine either way, as long as their brain registers "big reward" or something. So like if I put Mario at the bottom of a big coin funnel and have a bunch of coins fall onto him, will that do it? Will it feel less rewarding if Mario just stands there, even if he's just done something tough? Will it be more rewarding if I put Mario in a similar, but larger coin funnel so the player has to run and jump around just a little bit to get all of them? How many coins, etc?

NSMB2 isn't hard, but it's entirely based around collecting insane amounts of coins

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
IIRC NSMB2 was basically Nintendo training other development teams in how to make Mario games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GreatGreen posted: