Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've always wondered what the comics do with chaos. on top of ian probably being able to do something interesting with him, i'd expect like, penders would've had to include chaos in the story somehow. chaos did kill off knuckle's entire race, afterall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's apparently a quote from Rouge that's "Mother always said there'd be days like this."

I never really thought of any of the sonic cast as having families, aside from Cream, so for some reason that has me shook. Does Sonic have a Mom and Dad somewhere???

I still can't believe people thought this was real.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's apparently a quote from Rouge that's "Mother always said there'd be days like this."

I'm like 90% certain this is a lyric from the theme from Friends.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The lesson we can learn from TSR is that Big is the only trusting character, and Blaze and Amy are racist against tanuki.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm like 90% certain this is a lyric from the theme from Friends.

Friends the show only uses the first verse where "no one told you life was gonna be this way". Later verses do tell you mother told you life was gonna be this way, but nobodies ever heard those verses.

This quote is more similar to the Shirelles song, Mama Said, where "mama said there's be days like this"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nodosaur posted:

The lesson we can learn from TSR is that Big is the only trusting character, and Blaze and Amy are racist against tanuki.

Evidently I need to get TSR.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Mecha Sonic in S&K was awesome and I thought he had a cooler design than Metal Sonic. I loved his cocky hands-in-hips charge-up stance on the Master Emerald.

I wish he'd get at least some of the love Metal Sonic did.

There's no feeling I hate worse than enthusiastically agreeing with screaming idiot

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

hold on I made a better tier list

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

why is there a weird green sonic and why is he at the top of so many people's list

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

why is there a weird green sonic and why is he at the top of so many people's list

Scourge, alternate universe Evil Sonic from the Archie comics

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Simsmagic posted:

hold on I made a better tier list

Dark Chao absolutely say "gently caress" but it's only for attention.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Xad posted:

Scourge, alternate universe Evil Sonic from the Archie comics

Scourge was one of the very few unfortunate casualties of nuking everything and starting over post Penders.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Scourge was one of the very few unfortunate casualties of nuking everything and starting over post Penders.

We already have like a half dozen evil edgy Sonics.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Was post-reboot Eggman still the Robo-Robotnik?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yes, the original Robotnik died way back in issue #50 and aside from a one issue reappearance way later on never came back in any capacity (as far as I remember anyway).

Not entirely sure why they bothered with the whole mess to be honest when instead they simply could have done what Fleetway did and just have him put on some new clothes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fleetway Robotnik was the best, he was absolutely giant and looked like he ate babies for breakfast.

Also I hope they use some of the new comic characters in the games because Whisper is a precious baby with a kickass gun.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The word edgy has lost all meaning and it’s the Sonic fandom’s fault.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Fleetway Robotnik was the best, he was absolutely giant and looked like he ate babies for breakfast.

I loved the absolute way they didn't give a poo poo when they 'adapted' the Sonic Adventure design, he just put on a new coat rather than making him look like the Adventure Eggman.

Of course, the Adventure adaption was the last story they did prior to going into eternal re-runs until it was finally cancelled so they probably didn't give much of a poo poo about doing a faithful adaption. That story had almost nothing to do with Adventure other than having Chaos (who was nothing like the game version other than being a water monster that wanted the Chaos Emeralds and sonic takes a trip into the past and meets the ancient Echidnas (and Knuckles was there, implying that he gets thrown into the future or goes into stasis or something eventually).

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Detective No. 27 posted:

Technically. Post-reboot he retroactively became the original Robotnik thanks to the Super Genesis Wave rewriting history.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Veotax posted:

and sonic takes a trip into the past and meets the ancient Echidnas (and Knuckles was there, implying that he gets thrown into the future or goes into stasis or something eventually).

ken penders: always on brand

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They were talking about the UK Fleetway comic which Penders had nothing to do with, not that that makes it much better of course.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Veotax posted:

I loved the absolute way they didn't give a poo poo when they 'adapted' the Sonic Adventure design, he just put on a new coat rather than making him look like the Adventure Eggman.

Of course, the Adventure adaption was the last story they did prior to going into eternal re-runs until it was finally cancelled so they probably didn't give much of a poo poo about doing a faithful adaption. That story had almost nothing to do with Adventure other than having Chaos (who was nothing like the game version other than being a water monster that wanted the Chaos Emeralds and sonic takes a trip into the past and meets the ancient Echidnas (and Knuckles was there, implying that he gets thrown into the future or goes into stasis or something eventually).

Not gonna lie, I like this.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

You can always have more

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yinlock posted:

ken penders: always on brand

Nah, this was the UK comics. They were pretty restrained with the Echidnas, you saw some advanced technology on the Floating Island and only one other echidna appeared in the comic (other than the Adventure adaption) who ended up being a villain.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zachary, Finitevus, Imperator Ix, and Starline.

In Sonic, all white-furred monotremes are evil.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The difference is that Scourge actually acts and talks like evil Sonic, as opposed to being an evil (or morally ambiguous) guy with super speed who has an entirely different personality from Sonic.

And given that Sonic is already kind of an arrogant dick, it works really loving well.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

they called him gronic in japan, it stands for bad mario

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Movie's delayed. Obvious right call.

https://mobile.twitter.com/fowltown/status/1131937685700980736

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can we read into the gloves?

I really hope someday we get an insider story about what went down at Paramount after the trailer came out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 24, 2019

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Just make him look exactly like he does in the games imo. It's not like it'd be any more jarring than what they had going.

The blu ray extras for this thing are gonna be hilarious. "The original controversial trailer that took the internet by storm!"

man nurse fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 24, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm shocked they're actually going to delay it. Good.

MikeJF posted:

Can we read into the gloves?

I really hope someday we get an insider story about what went down at Paramount after the trailer came out.

He's possible still gonna have blue arms based on that image, which is gonna make people mad still, but I really don't care as long as the overall design is right.

It's just like, man, even with executive meddling, how do you look at this shot and think it looks acceptable:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sega at the very least had an all hands meeting right after the movie trailer. Aaron Webber (social media guy) had to arrange for someone else to do the Sonic live stream that day because he was in the meeting (needing to promote TSR so close to launch.) Later in the evening was when they announced they would change Sonic.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey so the Sonic Twitter id doing a Q&A with Eggman, Sonic, Shadow, and Tails

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1132063517589114880

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1132053507765297152

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

What should we infer from it now being a Valentine's Day film?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Speaking of STC, the second episode of Sonic the Comic the Podcast dropped today and it continues to be entirely my poo poo. Ngl, I missed the chart rundown segment from the first episode tho.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Party Boat posted:

What should we infer from it now being a Valentine's Day film?

That the horrifying Shadman ahegao edits will be the new design thanks to overwhelmingly positive reviews from the My Little Pony fanbase.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Still don't like Shadow's voice actor.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dabir posted:

Still don't like Shadow's voice actor.

Yeah, the new one sounds like a poor impression of the old one. Why’d they change him but keep the rest of the cast?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, the new one sounds like a poor impression of the old one. Why’d they change him but keep the rest of the cast?

Shadow's voice actor didn't change? That's still Kirk Thornton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah it’s the same guy, though to be honest while it has improved somewhat I’ve never really been a big fan of Kirk Thornton’s Shadow voice.

Knuckles’ actor did change though, the new guy’s not bad but I miss Travis Willingham.