Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

aphid_licker posted:

I should not be forming additional kingdoms if I have Gavelkind because otherwise some dipshit is gonna make off with half my poo poo, right? I have Georgia and I'm working on Alania.

Yes, absolutely. Your brother(s) will inherit half your titles, rounded up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Yes, absolutely. Your brother(s) will inherit half your titles, rounded up.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Rn they just make off with my demesne but stay in the kingdom that I keep, but when there's a second kingdom to gently caress off with that's gonna go byebye. Thanks!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At the very least, don't spend money on creating new titles at your highest ranking, because if you control the whole extra kingdom, the game will know when gavelkind comes around and hand it to your other son whether you created the title or not (assuming somebody else doesn't already have the title).

A common trick is to beeline an emperor title so that while your internal kingdoms will get split, the emperor title keeps everything together under your main heir.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

At the very least, don't spend money on creating new titles at your highest ranking, because if you control the whole extra kingdom, the game will know when gavelkind comes around and hand it to your other son whether you created the title or not (assuming somebody else doesn't already have the title).

A common trick is to beeline an emperor title so that while your internal kingdoms will get split, the emperor title keeps everything together under your main heir.

Okay that's a yikes.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-128-the-iron-century-finale.1180582/

Iron Century out May 28th!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can't see this page cuz I'm at work. Is this new DLC, or just that new starting age they were talking about?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

chaosapiant posted:

Can't see this page cuz I'm at work. Is this new DLC, or just that new starting age they were talking about?

Kinda both, it's treated as free DLC, I'll copy the text:

quote:

Good evening, or morning, or potentially afternoon. First off, I am happy to announce that if everything goes as planned we will release Patch 3.2 with the Iron Century bookmark on Tuesday. Yes, this Tuesday. The 28th of May. So for today's DD we will take a look at some of the remaining things we've added, starting with 5 new decisions.

Brother’s Legacy: For those who want to take up the legacy of Mardavij, we have added a special decision for his brother Vushmgir. This will give you a claim on Mardavij’s old regions as well as convert Vushmgir and any of his family to Zoroastrianism. In addition, you will receive Mardavij’s new bloodline, if you choose to pick up Zoroastrianism.

Local Traditions of Rus: For the Norse Germanic rulers of Kievan Rus, it might be a good idea to turn to the local traditions (see Russian culture and Slavic faith) if you want better relations with your vassals. If Yngvar isn't played by a player, the AI will choose to use this decision at game start.

Bulgarian Empire: This is not actually for the 936 bookmark itself, as… Well… There already is a Bulgarian Empire there, but rather for the fans of Bulgaria who want to recreate history in the earlier bookmarks.

Establish Cairo: As you might know, Cairo wasn’t actually an important city at the start of our bookmark. Or the two earlier bookmark start dates (see 769 and 867) either. It was not until the Fatimids invaded the Ikhshidids and took control of the region that they established Cairo as the capital of their Caliphate, and quickly built it up over a couple of years. Similarly, if you play as the Fatimids and invade Egypt, you get to make Cairo a special city as well! Congratulations! Woo!

Establish Castle Habsburg: For those of you who are particularly interested in weirdly shaped jawlines, we have added a decision to form Castle Habsburg. If you play as anyone of the Etichonen dynasty and hold the province of Basel, you will have the decision to establish the Habsburg castle. All close (living) relatives of the founder in question will become a part of the new von Habsburg dynasty.

Now then, onward to the new bloodlines we are adding. One of the goals when adding these was to try and keep them pretty insular for the 936 Bookmark, so you'd rarely see them outside of it. We've added 6 new ones, and we'll start with the three pretty generic ones:

Now onwards to the two special Muslim ones. Both the Shia and Qarmatian Leadership makes it easier to create the religious head titles, skipping several requirements for the holder.

And finally, the Otto the Great bloodline. Princely Elective Boon makes any holder of the bloodline more likely to be picked by vassals as the new Emperor in a Princely Elective system. You receive this bloodline if you manage to form the HRE as Otto.

And finally, the changelog for the new patch:

I am excited to see what people will say about the new bookmark on Tuesday. Have fun!

Patch notes:

code:
###################
# Free Features
###################
- New Bookmark
    - 'The Iron Century', set in 936
- New Cultures
    - Sardinian
    - Slovieni
- New Shiite Heresy
    - Qarmatian
- Map Reworks
    - Portugal and south-western Spain
        - 2 New Navigable rivers
        - 1 New Duchy
        - 3 New Provinces
    - Egypt
        - The Nile has been made navigable
        - 7 New Provinces
        - 3 New Duchies
- Added 3D models for Hagia Sophia.

###################
# Interface
###################
- Changed the previous Great Work shortcut in the great Works view to B from P in order to be more consistent with other views.
- Fixed the Great Works ledger page being present even if the Game Rules were set to not include Great Works.

###################
# User modding
###################
- Added NUDGE_WONDER_MODEL_LAND and NUDGE_WONDER_MODEL_COAST Lua defines.
- Added destroy_wonder effect.
- Added set_wonder_model effect.
- Fixed the wonder view modifier text lacking a newline when used in single column mode.
- Resuming wonder no longer checks is_active triggers.

###################
# Database
###################
- Corrected the position of the docks in Ceredigion so that it is now connected to a body of water.

###################
# Bug Fixes
###################
- Non bastard children now correctly uses their biological father's base attributes, instead of the default value, when calculating their yearly chance to increase their base attributes when growing up.
- Corrected the positioning of the Notre Dame Great Work model.
- Adjusted the brightness of the Cathedral Great Work texture.
- Reduced the size of the Cathedral Great Work model by 20%.
- Fixed clicking on the minimap to move the camera not working properly with GUI scaling.
- Fixed assassination plot event description incorrectly using the word poisonous instead of venomous.
- Fixed the highway robber band event not targeting Great Works in the character's demesne before Great Works in neighboring provinces.
- Fixed a faulty trigger in the decision for converting to tribal holdings to castles.
- Fixed an issue with the event to convert Hagia Sophia, which would cause the Great Work to not be active for Muslim rulers.
- Fixed an issue that stopped the Golden Crown Feature from showing up in the list of available Features for a stage 4 Statue Great Work.
- Fixed building the Moat Pit Feature on a Great Fortress enabling the other moat Features to be built on any Great Fortress.
- Fixed building the Bells Feature on a Great Cathedral enabling the Golden Bells Feature to be built on any Great Cathedral.
- Fixed Great Works Features that require a stored relic to be active, being active just from any relic being stored in any Feature owned by the same owner.
- Fixed moat Features for the Great Fortress not being visible in the available Features tab until the Pit Moat Feature was built.
- Fixed a crash caused by corrupted Great Works in save games.
- Fixed court size modifiers on buildings in the capital province not being applied.
- Fixed tooltips on buildings outside of the capital province claiming that they should provice a court size modifier.
- Fixed the Hagia Sophia conversion event triggering even though its culture already matches your religion.
- Rename messages should no longer be listed in the message settings.
- Retinue size is now also calculated from character modifiers.
- Moved retinue size modifier in Palace Great Work to owner scope.
- Slightly reworked order of operations for calculating max retinue cap.
- Homosexual female lovers are no longer referred to as male.
- Made sure event about mystic dying has the right border decoration.
- Newly built Great Work features no longer always get statue descriptions.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

chaosapiant posted:

936 bookmark start date, yeah

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought that was only for elective gavelkind. Or did that get changed at some point in time?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Another map changes? I guess old saves won't be compatible.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

aphid_licker posted:

Okay that's a yikes.

That's only for elective gavelkind. If you're not a pagan you likely have regular gavelkind, which is not quite as punishing. Additionally, it's enough to control 51% of a kingdom's territory for the game to create it upon death and hand it out to your brother if you're under elective gavelkind.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

aphid_licker posted:

I should not be forming additional kingdoms if I have Gavelkind because otherwise some dipshit is gonna make off with half my poo poo, right? I have Georgia and I'm working on Alania.

So, yes that's true, but on the other hand you get claims on the other kingdom. Set your primary title to the stronger of the two kingdoms before your ruler dies and then upon succession just go kick down your little brother's door and take his poo poo.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The easiest way to skirt gavelkind bullshit is to be constantly arresting vassals that are plotting or will not stop backing a plot(they have to refuse your request before you can arrest) and land your non-heir children. This works greatly in your favour. It massively increases your dynastic prestige, because after a couple rulers your realm will be controlled entirely by your dynasty and you'll be in a place to implement primogeniture succession. Nepotism is the key to a successful realm in this game.

DeathChicken posted:

Unfortunately no amount of hiring Basque tutors for my kids ever converts them, and I can't ever seem to find a Basque spouse when I'd actually need to marry someone.

Invite them to your court them matrilineally marry them to commanders. Then you keep the opinion of the Basque woman high so she wont leave your court. When you're ready to marry her, declare a tributary war or something and make the husband lead tiny bands of troops until he's dead.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you also need to set your kids to HERITAGE focus if you want to have them swap cultures at all.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

quote:

- Non bastard children now correctly uses their biological father's base attributes, instead of the default value, when calculating their yearly chance to increase their base attributes when growing up.

Hahah what?? How long was that bug around?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DoubleNegative posted:

I installed one of the highly rated workshop mods to add new traits and...

:eyepop:

pfft, no distinction between the S and the M? They could each have bonuses for same and opposite trait.

Yes, I am focusing on the mechanics, that is what I choose to focus on.

quote:

- Homosexual female lovers are no longer referred to as male.

whoops

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 25, 2019

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

nm

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 25, 2019

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. Rn they just make off with my demesne but stay in the kingdom that I keep, but when there's a second kingdom to gently caress off with that's gonna go byebye. Thanks!

You could also just not marry off your second son or whoever would inherit your other stuff under gavelkind. That way you only need to kill one person to get your land back instead of him plus all of his kids. This doesn’t work as easily if your current character already has a bunch of sons though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hahah what?? How long was that bug around?
Entire game, apparently. It's incredibly subtle, though, and not even discernible in the moddable code, so it's not surprising it was missed.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yay, Empire of Ireland created in 292 years. Of course I'm still only the third biggest kid on the block, France doubles my troops and HRE triples them. But hey

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

You could also just not marry off your second son or whoever would inherit your other stuff under gavelkind. That way you only need to kill one person to get your land back instead of him plus all of his kids. This doesn’t work as easily if your current character already has a bunch of sons though.
I'll try that! Still pretty much flying by the seat of my pants here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I couldn't mend the schism due to Catholicism dying a death, so I restored the Roman Empire instead. Then converted to Hellenic, immediately reformed, beat off the civil war and joined the Olympians. No special events yet apart from regular temple dedications, though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
When I send my drunken, one-legged, -43 combat skill king into the certain death of personal combat and he WINS: :stare:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The game sensed you wanted him to die.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kind of how like when I send kin to the Oubliette trying to kill them without eating Kinslayer, guaranteeing that they will live to be 100.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

My 75 year old Irish King was in the middle of a war to take a chunk out of England. He became infirm (along with having some other negative health modifiers). The game heard my prayers and allows him to live one more year so I could win the war.

The finger on the monkey paw curled over as well giving him about 9 more years during which his genius heir got killed. Thanks CK2!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I hate when chumps just peace out of a war I'm winning by changing faith or lieges or some poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

What is the oldest character anyone has ever seen without savescumming or immortality? No reason, just curious.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jedit posted:

What is the oldest character anyone has ever seen without savescumming or immortality? No reason, just curious.

Not in Crusader Kings II, but in CK I saw Malik Shah lived to be 112, that kind of broke the games UI for just the sheer number of his children, coupled with lower life expectancies in that game... I think his great-great grandson inherited from him, and Shah himself ruled for something insane like 80+ years and has 9-10 different wives and thirty + kids.

Oldest character I had in CKII was Alberto Azzo D'Este in an early game maybe shortly after Sword of Islam. He lived to be about 89 before he croaked.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 28, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

one of my empresses in my last game lasted until 104 through stacking shitloads of health

i got +3 health from the loving herb garden, it was insane

e: if my memory serves me right i had stacked 6.5 health. +3 from herb garden, +1 hunting dog bonus, +1 theology focus (which she was in for basically all of her years after 50), +1 magnum opus book, +.5 brawny

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 27, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I once had a ruler make it to 92, and I started with him as a six year-old in a brutal regency.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jack2142 posted:

Oldest character I had in CKII was Alberto Azzo D'Este in an early game maybe shortly after Sword of Islam. He lived to be about 89 before he croaked.

Had a character get so old her great-granddaughter inherited. I think she made it to her 90s.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The update is out.

I played a game as Kievan Rus in the new bookmark and I immediately remembered why I hate playing tribal pagans.

Jannabids are super fun though, Islam is fractured enough that no one can really mount a defense as you burn through Hijaz.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coolguye posted:

one of my empresses in my last game lasted until 104 through stacking shitloads of health

i got +3 health from the loving herb garden, it was insane

e: if my memory serves me right i had stacked 6.5 health. +3 from herb garden, +1 hunting dog bonus, +1 theology focus (which she was in for basically all of her years after 50), +1 magnum opus book, +.5 brawny

If she was in Theology from age 50 then she didn't have the dog bonus, you only get that while the dog is alive.

I was asking because I had the interesting thought of a challenge game where you try to get from 769 to 1453 using as few rulers as possible and refusing the immortality chain if it pops. With male-only ultimo and the Fountain of Youth you might conceivably be able to do it in seven.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jedit posted:

If she was in Theology from age 50 then she didn't have the dog bonus, you only get that while the dog is alive.
i was referring to the +1 health you get from training the dog yourself while already diligent - my bad.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Does the patch break saves? I will have time to play some CK2 this weekend, but I have one game where I still have some goals I want to achieve before moving on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I haven’t had any trouble.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Doesn't it change the map? Or does it only do that once you start a new campaign? I reverted back to the previous version precisely so that I could finish my ongoing campaign before moving on.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
It changes the map, I had few holes instead of provinces in Egypt at first, but it seems that game adapted to it and those holes quickly turned into regular provinces. Not sure about the new cultures, I might check them.

Edit: new cultures appear in characters, but the provinces were not switched to new cultures

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Looks like another PDX sale on Steam, probably other places too.