Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Music on the watch or music on the phone? If it's the latter just disable automatic media controls (though I *think* that option somehow never made it to the Moto 360/2). If it's on the watch, well, just don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Music on the phone for me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I can't say that I've noticed a difference with music on my phone and Media controls on the watch. I still get a day and a half or so.

Does it leave your screen on all the time or something?

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 2, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Nah, it doesn't leave the screen on. I've got ambient mode enabled, so I can still see the play/pause button and the title of the track though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hooah posted:

Well that sucks. Is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening?

Don't listen to music

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Music on the watch or music on the phone? If it's the latter just disable automatic media controls (though I *think* that option somehow never made it to the Moto 360/2). If it's on the watch, well, just don't do that.

This option did indeed make it to the 360/2, so I'll try it out today. Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

This option did indeed make it to the 360/2, so I'll try it out today. Thanks!

I'm surprised you have it, I just checked my old 360/2 and it's definitely not there, or at least not in the place it is on my Explorist HR. I'll be interested to hear if you notice a difference.

VV Edit: If my 360/2 lasted 12.5 hours and had a battery meter that went below 70% I wouldn't have replaced it!

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 3, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've had it off the charger for at least 12.5 hours now and it's at 32%, having listened to something like 5-6 hours of music at work. Seems like turning that off did the trick!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My Fossil Q Marshall is doing a thing where the watchface is almost completely detached except for the bottom of the flat tire. It's just out of warranty, of course. I was thinking about getting a Samsung Gear of some sort, I read you can sideload the ability to pay from the watch from the Pixel 2, is that true? Any other watch I should look at?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I know it might be slightly offtopic but I just put away my huawei watch 1 after i got gifted a vivowatch3. I am fully aware of the limitations compared to wearos but in all honesty i am not feeling those. Never used the Bluetooth handsfree because i looked like a spanner while doing so, the voice commands have become junk after moving the engine to assistant and the onscreen keyboard have always been finicky. Using the watch for days without recharge brings me back to the pebble and what i wanted from a smart watch, show me the notifications, let me do some limited interaction and not spend one minute swearing every time i want the watch to react to my commands. Maybe I'll revisit wearos for fun in a few years but as it is i don't feel very compelled

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm with you 100%
After using 2 wear os watches for years I'm just backed an indigogo (from a company that produced products before) for a watch with limited features but everything I want. (hr monitoring, waterproof, lasts longer than 2 days, shows notifications).

I use my watch to see texts and tell time. Very rarely do I use voice / anything else.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 5, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My 360v2 has started switching out of the charging screen seemingly at random. I think it started after I replaced the battery, but I'm not certain. Usually I can lift it off the charger and put it back and it'll fix itself, but not always. Has anyone else had this?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not familiar with the charger on it but maybe scrape the contacts? My Asus zenwatch2 has contacts that I need to scrape all the time because they are in contact with my sweaty arms when I work out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's a Qi charger, so not applicable. It's also a cradle so it should be aligned well without really any fiddling.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got a Fossil sport today and so far playing around with it at home I like it a lot more than the Samsung I had. It's nice to be able to use Android apps on the phone. Samsung was not particularly compatible in my experience

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Update on my ticwatch pro: it's not very smooth and I think I'm going to contact them about maybe a return although I feel like I'm way out of my return timing.

It works... fine but I don't find myself ever using any apps on it and it's just a little bit laggy etc when I do and it completely ruins the experience for me. I need human interface stuff to be really really polished and smooth and glitchless for me to enjoy it. I freely admit I'm a bit of an elitist or w/e but for $300-400, given the amount of RAM it has, it shouldn't be delaying opening apps, stuttering, etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

But that's the charm of the 2013 era SoC!

In short you aren't going to get any better of an experience with any WearOS watch and won't until an actual modern wearable SoC is produced.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bull3964 posted:

But that's the charm of the 2013 era SoC!

In short you aren't going to get any better of an experience with any WearOS watch and won't until an actual modern wearable SoC is produced.

Yeah my thinking now is basically that as an Android Boy I'm basically going to just buy a decent digital watch instead (I work in a hospital which is why I wanted a smartwatch instead of a nicer analog) and wait for a big shakeup in the smartwatch space for non-iOS.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

SlowBloke posted:

I know it might be slightly offtopic but I just put away my huawei watch 1 after i got gifted a vivowatch3. I am fully aware of the limitations compared to wearos but in all honesty i am not feeling those.

I try to keep tabs on WearOS because I love the idea but the implementation just never does it for me.

Device History: Samsung Gear Fit was great for notifications and such, but has to be charged all the time. Garmin Vivofit kicks rear end, lasts like 6months on watch batteries, is just a watch and step counter which is all I really want, but the new versions keep getting iffy redesigns when I think the first version was fine. Huawei Band 3 has heart rate for possibly better sleep tracking, and can last like 2 weeks when you turn down the tracking or forget your charger and just want a watch on holiday. Out of all of them I love the Garmin the most for the angry red activity band. It beeps if you go sedentary and won't stop showing you an angry red band until you at least have an Italian conversation or a vigorous shower. If you only move a little it'll only erase part of the band. With the battery life and waterproofing, it's like an angry little life coach strapped to your wrist always nudging you to move.

tater_salad posted:

After using 2 wear os watches for years I'm just backed an indigogo (from a company that produced products before) for a watch with limited features but everything I want. (hr monitoring, waterproof, lasts longer than 2 days, shows notifications).

Tell me they had an actual, for-real, working, publicly verified prototype.

The amount of money that has been lost to fake gadgets dreamt up by non-engineers is staggering.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, I love the Galaxy Watch Active I bought on release date. The auto activity tracking has been great. The continuous heart beat monitoring has been spot on. Step counting has been great as well.

It lasts about 3x longer than any Wear device I've had and is always responsive. I've been able to interact with notifications as much as I've wanted to. Yeah, there are fewer native apps, but if you want an activity tracker plus notification access, it's really hard to go wrong with this thing.

My main complaint is I would have loved a larger case, it looks a bit tiny on my wrist.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

revwinnebago posted:

Tell me they had an actual, for-real, working, publicly verified prototype.

The amount of money that has been lost to fake gadgets dreamt up by non-engineers is staggering.

Yes plus they have had 2 past versions that are improved iterations of the past. The only complaint is that in hot climates it doesn't charge off of the body. As a person who lives in the Northeast 100° days are not yet an issue.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

My 360v2 has started switching out of the charging screen seemingly at random. I think it started after I replaced the battery, but I'm not certain. Usually I can lift it off the charger and put it back and it'll fix itself, but not always. Has anyone else had this?

My 360v2 has been doing this off and on for like 2 years now.

Still waiting for the thing to die, but it keeps chugging along!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Has anyone seen the Lenovo ego?

I won't complain too much about my Huawei watch 2 but it is very laggy in essentially all functions. At least it was free with my phone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Try just hitting the button while it's on the charger, that usually works for me. The only "permanent" fix I've ever found was resetting it back up and hoping it worked and it would... for a while. Now that mine's just a bedroom clock I got to a place where the screen came on once and I've never moved it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've had a Fossil sport for a few weeks now and I really like it. Google Pay is neat to use, which I never used on my phone because I don't have a lockscreen on it (yeah, probably a bad idea). I like that keep works on WearOS and I can check things off my grocery list without having to have my phone in hand.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've had a Fossil sport for a few weeks now and I really like it. Google Pay is neat to use, which I never used on my phone because I don't have a lockscreen on it (yeah, probably a bad idea). I like that keep works on WearOS and I can check things off my grocery list without having to have my phone in hand.

Why would you have no lockscreen on your phone but use one on your watch? That lockscreen was so annoying I disabled it before a week was up, I just couldn't take it. Also why would you not just use the fingerprint reader on your phone?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I have lockscreens on both, but being on my wrist keeps my watch unlocked, so I only put in my password once a day.

My most-used features on my Fossil are Google Pay, Google Keep, the camera viewfinder/shutter, and Wear Codes (a QR code keeper app that I use for online movie tickets because I'm a huge dork).

It's also nice to see what song I'm listening to without taking my phone out of my pocket, when I'm on an unfamiliar playlist.

Fossil makes nice watches. I wish they had a better chipset to work with.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Isn't the 3100 the latest and greatest watch chipset?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moey posted:

If you can call it that. It's a 2100 with an (as yet) non-functional DSP tacked on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

It's not great by any means, it's a lovely 28nm SoC, but it's the latest from Qualcomm for WearOS yes.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

If you can call it that. It's a 2100 with an (as yet) non-functional DSP tacked on.

I think the Fossil Sport uses it for low power more

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I thought it was supposed to be for the fitness mode that Qualcomm still hasn't rolled out.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A family member is in the hospital with a poor patient-nurse ratio and inattentive, sometimes lazy staff.
I frequently visit the room to find him with a high heartrate and drenched in sweat with the nurse swearing they were just there and didnt see anything wrong.

I would like to find something that can remotely monitor his heartrate and possibly skin temp and have that data be viewable on my phone. That way I can notify the hospital staff when his stats deviate and then verify that something was done about it.The hospital has wifi throughout. If I really have to I can set up a cheap android phone to also be nearby.

Is there smartwatch solution for my needs? What apps can do this?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Is there smartwatch solution for my needs?

Definitely not. This is a really hosed up situation and request tbh.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CLAM DOWN posted:

Definitely not. This is a really hosed up situation and request tbh.

it certainly does it exist but thank you for not trying.

I was able to find the Cardiogram app with data sharing on.

Can anyone else recommend a longer battery life wear os smartwatch with a decent heart rate monitor?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is most definitely not a use case for smartwatches, and there are huge liability implications. Wear OS, smartwatch connectivity/bluetooth, apps, smartphones, etc, all are notoriously unreliable, especially compared to actual medical devices. What happens when, not if but when, one of these items fails and has actual health consequences? I'm not comfortable with this.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The hospital isnt already liable for his care? This is additional information not a replacement for medical care. He will still continue to get the subpar attention they have been giving him. What are you even smoking?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

The hospital isnt already liable for his care? This is additional information not a replacement for medical care. He will still continue to get the subpar attention they have been giving him. What are you even smoking?

quote:

That way I can notify the hospital staff when his stats deviate

That is not a use case for smartwatches, especially Wear OS. Please chill out with your attacks, too.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At no point is the information being monitored a first point of reference. No additional liability is being taken on by your not being helpful. It continues to be solely on the hospital and its staff.

If I notice a high heart rate that indicates something being wrong I can call the hospital and ask for a status update. This could only help the patient get better care unless the watch itself somehow physically injures him. A 25% margin of error in heartrate monitoring is still useful. That's entirely on you if you cant see this as valid use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Fauxtool you are barking up the wrong tree, what you need is a dedicated heart rate monitor with remote data capabilities, plenty of china kits to look for(which still would make a much better job than a wear watch that will die in twelve to eight hours due to the watch app keeping the core and sensor on)